Decoupage!

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
I just started doing decoupage on my shoes, and I love it! Does anybody else do it? What do you use? I use Mod Podge, with a layer of Beacon Decoupage Gloss Sealer on the top. It works well on patent leather shoes.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Many years ago I cut out snippets of patterns and jewelry images from magazines, then collaged them onto the wooden heels of some 70s platform shoes. The shoes were amazing. I used Golden acrylic medium as a glue, and Delta Ceramcoat's exterior satin varnish to seal. Both are waterbased, and very tough when dry.

As a book artist, this is the glue/sealer combo I often use to collage on paper and wood.

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
How many layers do you recommend putting on shoes? The book I saw about decoupage says that you don't need as many layers as some people say. But I imagine that is for household items like lampshades. With shoes, you would need added protection.

I put mine in a bag, and when I got home, they had some scratches. I redid them, but I don't want them to get messed up again.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've never tried decoupage on shoes. What happens where the patent leather flexes? Or are these shoes designed so they don't need to?

Maryn, who wrote "patient leather"

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
I didn't decoupage the leather, only the wooden heels. If I were to do leather I would use a flexible exterior varnish, and at least three coats.

When doing any paint or collage work with leather, the first critical step is cleaning the surfaces. I use alcohol and shop rags.

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
I've never tried decoupage on shoes. What happens where the patent leather flexes? Or are these shoes designed so they don't need to?

Thus far, I have only used shoes that don't flex much, and if they do, I don't put anything on that area. My husband wants me to do a pair of boots for his friend, though, so we'll see how that goes.

Filigree, thanks for the advice. This next pair I am doing is going to have 3 layers of Mod Podge and 1 layer of the Beacon. The Mod Podge seems to seal it just fine, but the Beacon makes it look smoother, and blends into the patent leather.

kikazaru

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
I love decoupage but it never occurred to me that you could do shoes - count me in as one who also needs to see pictures!

I decoupage clear glass plates and they turn out beautifully, but you can only use them for decorative purposes or for dry foods because of course you can't immerse them in water.

To do the plates, turn them face down, put the modge podge on the right side of your image and glue it to the bottom of the plate. When it's dry, I like to spray paint in a complementary colour, over the entire bottom. The paint adds drama and it seals your decoupage. When you turn your plate over it's like you are looking "into" the image and you can still use the glass surface.

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Cool shoes, Celia!

Also, they seem like the kind of thing that might do well on Etsy.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Those shoes rock, Ms. Cyanide!

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
Cool shoes, Celia!

Also, they seem like the kind of thing that might do well on Etsy.

Thanks!

Does anyone here use Etsy? I have heard it was difficult to sell stuff on there. But it might be easier with more specialize items that have a theme, like comic book themed shoes. What do you think?

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I know of at least two members who use ETSY to sell their stuff, but since their shops are not under the names they use here, I probably shouldn't identify them. I would not be even slightly surprised to know many more AWers use ETSY for retailing their wares.

Why not start a thread in Office Party with ETSY in the title, asking those who sell there to share their experiences and advise you on those shoes?

BTW, The Kid (our adult daughter, a serious crafter in her own right) is here and I showed her the shoes. Her first question was whether they'd fit her and what you wanted for them. So I agree they'd sell.

Maryn, remembering a pair of shoes she could not afford which had cherubs on them

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
That is a good idea. I don't hang out in Office Party anymore, but I will make that thread soon.

I can do custom shoes, too! They don't really have an option for that at ebay, but they do on Etsy.

SWest

In the garden...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com

Does anyone here use Etsy? I have heard it was difficult to sell stuff on there. But it might be easier with more specialize items that have a theme, like comic book themed shoes. What do you think?

:D

You have to adhere to all trademark laws...trademark holders search regularly, and unauthorized stores get closed. I'm sure that's the case for all sale/auction sites.

etsy is a giant mall at this point, so you will have to market in order to get traffic.

I searched for "decoupage shoes" and got 333 results (https://www.etsy.com/search?q=decoupage shoes&view_type=gallery&ship_to=US). There is some opportunity there, but for someone who will be actively moving shoppers to their store, not waiting for search results only.

Lemme know if you have other more specific questions! :D

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Do you have Jo-Ann craft stores where you are? The advertising flyer in yesterday's paper had a pair of shoes on the front, covered with beads and crystals and such. Really pretty, although they made my feet hurt just looking at them. Pointy toes and spike heels.

MM

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
How unfair! We didn't get a JoAnn flyer this week, and damn it, I want to see those shoes.

Maryn, outraged at the injustice

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
How unfair! We didn't get a JoAnn flyer this week, and damn it, I want to see those shoes.

Maryn, outraged at the injustice

So, go to the store. I'm sure they have the flyers available.:tongue

MM