Status
Not open for further replies.

Once!

Still confused by shoelaces
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.will-once.com
Creative writers are two a penny; efficient hacks are very rare.
Lord Beaverbrook (1879-1964)

Spotted this quote in a dictionary of humorous quotations. I couldn't decide whether to agree with it vehemently or disagree with it equally vehemently. Here's the full quote, taken from the Daily Telegraph obituary of Nicholas Phipps in 2004:

Nicholas Phipps left Eton in 1943 to attend a six-month tank-driving course at Oxford and secure a commission in the 10th Royal Hussars. After the Army, he turned down the chance of "a proper financial education" at Rothschild's on the grounds of the low pay, and instead took a job on the William Hickey column of the Daily Express.

He had impressed the paper's proprietor, Lord Beaverbrook, by appearing for an interview in a huge beaver coat that had belonged to his Buccleuch grandfather and by announcing that he was not a creative writer, only an efficient hack. "Thank God," replied the press baron. "Creative writers are two a penny. Efficient hacks are very rare."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/1467197/Nicholas-Phipps.html

Okay, so it's talking about journalism rather than fiction, but it got me wondering. Do we worry too much about creativity and not enough about the basic efficiencies of the craft?

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
... anyone wearing "a huge beaver coat" is deserving of scorn. Grr.

As to the question, probably to some extent creativity is given too much importance. It has a tendency to draw writers away from the essentials or just writing a story that'll sell and find appeal. But at the same time, creativity is very important which goes without saying. Good to keep tabs though. Worthwhile question as such, with far better answers to follow I'm sure.

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think you can separate the two. Without basic craft and skills, creative pieces will go nowhere. Without creativity, craft and skills will be a dry yawn that falls flat.

I think every fiction writer who spends any time here is aware of the need for both.

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
All I aspire to is to be an efficient hack. Sadly, I seem to be very very creative...

DreamWeaver

Shakespearean Fool
Registered
Reaction score
All I aspire to is to be an efficient hack. Sadly, I seem to be very very creative...
...so, you might aspire to be efficiently creative :D. Kind of sounds like the best of both worlds to me!

MookyMcD

I go to eleven
Registered
Reaction score
Website
michaeljmcdonagh.wordpress.com
I don't think you can separate the two. Without basic craft and skills, creative pieces will go nowhere. Without creativity, craft and skills will be a dry yawn that falls flat.

I think every fiction writer who spends any time here is aware of the need for both.

This, times eleven.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Creative writers are two a penny. Really great stories, however, are the most valuable items on earth.

Manuel Royal

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnetowntoday.blogspot.com
Okay, so it's talking about journalism rather than fiction ....
That's a pretty big distinction. People read news stories for accurate, clearly-presented information. A creative touch is nice too, but not the essence of the craft.

For fiction, I'd say skill at the craft of writing is as essential as creative ideas -- but without the latter, it'd be a dull old world.

lolchemist

Shooting stars.
Registered
Reaction score
The best of both worlds would be creative and efficient writers.

In other words: FINISH THE DAMNED BOOK!

shadowwalker

empty-nester!
Registered
Reaction score
I do think writers sometimes get too attached to the "creative" thing. Sometimes it's because of a lack of discipline ("But I want to!") and other times it's just a bad attitude ("I am an artiste!"). A bit of efficient hackery would be of great benefit to those folks.

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score
I think I get what you mean.
I just want to learn to be fast and prolific and I know many fast, prolific writers who are also creative. They are creative within restraints, keeping an eye on the market.

Last edited:

Buffysquirrel

Registered
Reaction score
If you've ever read any of Beaverbrook's papers, you'll know his hacks are very creative indeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.