PDA

View Full Version : 2014 Writing Goals. Post your goals for the next year.

Pushingfordream
12-21-2013, 08:29 AM
2014 Writing Goals. Post your goals for the next year.

Write1sub1 Type Goals:
Complete 20 pieces on "completed log" - 12/25

ZachJPayne
12-21-2013, 08:38 AM
I'm doing a book review challenge (http://thestoriesweare.blogspot.com/2013/12/so-im-entering-myself-into-challenge.html), for books specifically off of NetGalley. I'd like to get at least 100 reviews done, even if they're not all especially for this.

I'd like to have a rough draft of my novel done by the end of January, and have it presentable and ready to pitch, along with outlines for the rest of the series, by June 6, for the Carson City Literary Festival (http://ventanasierra.org/mark-your-calendars/).

I guess those are pretty simple goals; but I want to make sure I succeed!

Pushingfordream
12-21-2013, 08:43 AM
I'm doing a book review challenge (http://thestoriesweare.blogspot.com/2013/12/so-im-entering-myself-into-challenge.html), for books specifically off of NetGalley. I'd like to get at least 100 reviews done, even if they're not all especially for this.

I'd like to have a rough draft of my novel done by the end of January, and have it presentable and ready to pitch, along with outlines for the rest of the series, by June 6, for the Carson City Literary Festival (http://ventanasierra.org/mark-your-calendars/).

The 100 reviews is a really good goal!

ElaineA
12-21-2013, 10:16 AM
Maybe if I write these down I'll hold myself more accountable.

Quit tinkering and start querying novel: May 1
Complete first draft of novella WIP: June
Research/plot NaNo 2013 Failure: As time permits, but before NaNo 2014

Kerosene
12-21-2013, 11:06 AM
500,000 words.

Rather simple, 'cause I don't want to make too many goals I might regret later.

Anna Spargo-Ryan
12-21-2013, 11:10 AM
Finish a draft. Preferably the one I'm currently working on, but not necessarily.

Enter the Vogel's (https://www.allenandunwin.com/default.aspx?page=442).

Write something--of any length, for any purpose--that I really love.

Submit at least one piece of poetry to a mag.

Pushingfordream
12-21-2013, 11:20 AM
I'm so excited to see everyone's goals! Keep posting :)

ZachJPayne
12-21-2013, 11:24 AM
500,000 words.

Rather simple, 'cause I don't want to make too many goals I might regret later.

That's quite the impressive goal! Considering that I've only written about 92k since August, when I first started keeping track.

phantasy
12-21-2013, 11:39 AM
Mine is to finish the damn book I'm writing and send it off! And hopefully start something new. The problem is I'm still learning and I absorb the info in sparse jumps that require practice or else I forget them. On the plus side, I remember them faster and faster each time. Gah, I have lots to learn, but mostly I'd like to learn to trap my readers and never have them put the book down. Hee hee.

Quantity doesn't work for me at all, but consistent, quality focus.

I'd also love to find a author-mentor for style and concept, whose books I'll adore and make my fav list and try to emulate. That would be cool.

TopHat
12-21-2013, 11:42 AM
To learn how to use a comma.

Brightdreamer
12-21-2013, 11:42 AM

Hey, that's only 8 and a bit reviews a month. Good luck!

As for my goals:

Get one book-length manuscript up to snuff. ("Snuff" here defined as "as close to submission-worthy as I'm capable of getting the thing.")
Finish some short stories, with intent to submit.

I don't get more specific until closer to January 1.

TopHat
12-21-2013, 11:44 AM
Mine is to finish the damn book I'm writing and send it off! And hopefully start something new. The problem is I'm still learning and I absorb the info in sparse jumps that require practice or else I forget them. On the plus side, I remember them faster and faster each time.

Quantity doesn't work for me at all, but consistent, quality focus.

I'd also love to find a author-mentor for style and concept, whose books I'll adore and make my fav list and try to emulate. That would be cool.

That's how it's suppose to be. You aren't suppose to read large chunks of information and process it quickly. What I do with, say a textbook or writing techniques book, I'll read one chapter, and work on that chapter for a week. Then next week chapter 2, then three, and etc.,

phantasy
12-21-2013, 11:49 AM
That's how it's suppose to be. You aren't suppose to read large chunks of information and process it quickly. What I do with, say a textbook or writing techniques book, I'll read one chapter, and work on that chapter for a week. Then next week chapter 2, then three, and etc.,

Actually my learning doesn't stop at how-to books and I can't learn the way you said. It's too straightforward and inflexible to me. It comes from media I genuinely like, where something in me clicks and I get it. With each 'aha!', I'm narrowing down what I'm doing wrong and why my betas go zzzz. Why, last year writing down a post like this was a challenge. Now I 'see' the things I read and write better and can differentiate (I think, tho I may be way off, this is common) between good and bad storytelling/writing.

So...I am improving, but I don't think linearly. More like a ball of string. My metaphors definitely come easier too!

WriterDude
12-21-2013, 01:23 PM
Polish the two books i did in 2013 and get em sold .

Itching to start my masterpiece.

DeadCities
12-21-2013, 01:48 PM
My goals for 2014 are:
1. finish the first draft of my novel
2. Hit 1,000 words a day (no exceptions! I'm even doubling my writing output to make up for the lost time on christmas day, since I'll be spending it with my family)
3. Edit and revise a second draft, and have it ready for Beta-Testing
4. Hopefully? Maybe? Attempt to find someone to represent said novel.
5. Begin research for next novel, this is a big one since the book is very much based in ancient celtic lore.
6. Just be awesome! :D
7. Oh , yeah, and get to 50 post's on absolute write so my work can be torn apart by knowledgeable eyes. :D

Scribbler214
12-21-2013, 01:48 PM

That is awesome sweets! Good luck!

My writing goal for 2014:

Be published.

Maxx B
12-21-2013, 02:34 PM
very impressive folks...

my goal for 2014, get published.

Isilya
12-21-2013, 10:19 PM
My List:

Write more

Read more

Critique more

Remember to relax

Hummingbird
12-21-2013, 11:09 PM
This next year I'm going to do everything I can to accomplish my goals. I will make it happen! :D

Stick to a writing schedule.
Ban procrastination devices from my work area.
Finish my current story.
Start working on next story.

Little Anonymous Me
12-21-2013, 11:10 PM
LAM's Grand 2014 Plan:

Finish editing Novel 2
Start querying Novel 2
Finish Novel 3
Start editing Novel 3
Start and finish Novel 4

Wow, that looks terrifying written down. :scared:

Pushingfordream
12-21-2013, 11:17 PM
I am trying to get to 100 posts so I can work on some other projects... ( I am at 70 blogposts now )

DAMac
12-22-2013, 12:09 AM
If you use excel to keep a log of your words per day you can also make use of excel's built in date and time.

Select cell - Ctrl and ; will insert date
Select cell - Ctl and Shift and : will insert current time
You'll soon get and idea of time spent too.

AshleyEpidemic
12-22-2013, 12:27 AM
Hmmm. My goals for next year.

Polish two novels. Finish AND polish two others. And write drafts of 3 more. We will see how that turns out considering I'm working on building my blog.

Pushingfordream
12-22-2013, 01:24 AM
I have posted like 6 blogposts in 24hours... 71 of 100 completed

Putputt
12-22-2013, 01:47 AM
Blergh, I think I reached exactly none of my 2013 goals. But then 2013 has thrown quite a few surprises my way, so it has been a good year writing-wise.

For 2014, I hope to:

-Get a book deal for book #1
-Polish book #2 and send to agent
-Depending on whether book #1 gets an offer or not, either:
-Write and polish sequel to book #1, or
-Write and polish book #3

Although truthfully, if book #1 doesn't get a book deal I'd probably just sink into the Bog of Despair and grow of beard of sadness.

adm
12-22-2013, 02:13 AM
write and read every day for at least an hour

ThatBandKid
12-22-2013, 02:23 AM
Write this damn book. Don't just dream about it, write it. Wrestle it to the ground and put it on paper. It's gonna happen.

Pushingfordream
12-22-2013, 02:28 AM
Write this damn book. Don't just dream about it, write it. Wrestle it to the ground and put it on paper. It's gonna happen.

Awesome! (I have the same goal I'm on draft 4.)

tatygirl90
12-22-2013, 06:29 AM
Finish first draft of this book.

Continue to work on poems.

Continue to work on short stories and submit the one that's almost there.

Ellis Clover
12-22-2013, 06:38 AM
In 2014 I will (look at my confidence!) complete the WIP I started earlier this year, and start and complete a second novel. I have ideas for both a sequel and a stand-alone, but will decide which to tackle when this first one is done.

I am a slow writer, mostly due to writing only when inspired and being far too easily distracted, so another serious goal for me is to write every.single.day next year.

Good luck to everyone with your New Year writing goals. :)

Ellis Clover
12-22-2013, 06:42 AM

One lingering regret I have is not getting my writing into gear in time to qualify for Vogel entry (my age cutoff was last year). Best of luck to you!

Ellis Clover
12-22-2013, 06:53 AM

I have a few of these, but the beauty of their writing is far beyond the scope of my own talent, which can sometimes feel a little demoralising (although I find them no less wonderful to read for this realisation). I'm still looking for that great writer whose voice is similar enough to mine to be a useful resource without pitching me further into doubt and despair. :)

Anna Spargo-Ryan
12-22-2013, 07:02 AM
One lingering regret I have is not getting my writing into gear in time to qualify for Vogel entry (my age cutoff was last year). Best of luck to you!

Thank you! I'll be 32 when the 2015 award is announced, so I might get a couple of cracks at it, with any luck.

Little Anonymous Me
12-22-2013, 07:25 AM
Thank you! I'll be 32 when the 2015 award is announced, so I might get a couple of cracks at it, with any luck.

That's awesome, and now I totally wish I lived in Australia. ;) Good luck!!

Civic
12-22-2013, 09:56 AM
Get my first draft done, and write every day. I try to set myself a low limit (between 350 - 500 words) so on the days where writing is difficult to do, I at least get something done.

Grunkins
12-22-2013, 07:56 PM
Get elbows deep in my first space opera.
Space opera!

CoffeeBeans
12-22-2013, 08:14 PM

I love this goal! I consider "mostly excited about" to be a challenge for my own work.

2013 was supposed to be the year of finishing half-finished novels. Instead I only finished one old one and made 3/4ths of a new one... Not as planned.

2014 will be different!

Goals
1. Complete a query for current Steampunk Adventure.
2. Actually send out query for Steampunk Adventure.
3. Have a fully revised draft for said story, in case anyone likes the query.
4. Complete current YA novel.
5. Revise current YA novel.
6. Write and send out a query for YA novel.
7. Complete something half-finished for NaNo.

Considering my query attempts have been abysmal, 2/3 and 6 are going to be endless. Guess I'll get a lot of practice in this year!

spikeman4444
12-22-2013, 10:45 PM
finish my current project. start and finish my next project and get published, even if it is just a short story online. also read every day

Begemot
12-22-2013, 11:33 PM
Finish this novel and then revise it. Then start on novel number two.

I don't care how much sanity and sleep it costs me, it's going to happen.

MakanJuu
12-23-2013, 01:31 AM
I will decide where I want to go with my writing, charge in that direction and stick to it until it's finished.

JadeKnight
12-23-2013, 03:08 AM
My goal for 2014 is to put my scifi/outer space/adventure serial, that has been going on for years, but progressed no where basically, on the side and work on smaller and shorter projects to figure out where my writing skills rank and how I can improve them. (Also lots of reading. 100 books within the year if I can.)

chompers
12-23-2013, 03:27 AM
My 2014 writing goals:
Finish my 3 WIPs listed below.

Most likely I'll finish #2 first, since it's the easiest to write and closest to finishing. If I'm being good, I should be able to finish it in 1-2 weeks.

Then #3, because I want to get it done asap. And at the moment I'm most interested in this story. So hopefully that'll make me hurry to finish #2 so that I can move on to #3.

Then #1. It's only 30k away, but this is the most complicated story out of anything I've ever written and needs much more concentration. It can't be rushed or else I'm going to start overlooking things. (The story is not linear.)

And then that's it pretty much, and I'm hoping to finish these in the first quarter. After that I'm trying to cut down on writing.

I'm debating if I should do a daily word count or just finish a scene a day. That would make the scenes fleshed out better and probably less stressful. But my brain is kind of used to doing it by word count.

amergina
12-23-2013, 03:41 AM
Finish revisions on romance and send to agent by Jan1
Revise fantasy manuscript and send to agent by Feb 28
Write sequel to PNR by May31

And that takes me to June. I'll figure out the second half of the year, depending on what happens with the first.

fredXgeorge
12-23-2013, 02:09 PM
1. Start querying TSP by April
2. Finish 1st and 2nd drafts of CotS
3. Start going on sub with TSP

eternalised
12-23-2013, 03:06 PM
Here we go!

Finish manuscripts for Weirdville book 4-6, and actually meet my deadlines this time around.
Edit and then send the manuscript for Valentina and the Masked Mummy to my publisher.
Query YA paranormal romance novel. Fingers crossed it gets accepted!
Finish writing MG horror / pararnomal novel, and start querying.
Write adult horror novella. Edit, and query.
Write YA paranormal romance novella/serial and start querying again!
Work on marketing my existing books, and the books that will release in 2014.

Those are the "mandatory" goals I've set for myself. Here are the extra goals.

Finish sequel to YA paranormal romance novel, edit and send to publisher (if the first gets accepted, if not, set aside and wait until first gets accepted).
Finish sequel to MG horror novel.
Write first draft for another YA paranormal romance series. Several options to choose from, so I won't decide which one just yet.
Edit second book in Allegro Academy series. Keep fingers crossed the first one will be accepted by a publisher.
If the books get accepted, write third book in Allegro Academy trilogy.

Phew. That's about it.

J.S.F.
12-23-2013, 04:26 PM
Goals for next year.

Outside of staying alive, here they are.

1. Do the revisions on Lindsay Versus the Marauders and its sequel, Lindsay, Jo, and the Tree of Forever. Also have to revise Catnip before it's digitally published.

2. Edit Star Maps (another YA/Fantasy) and On a wing and a... which is my first 'for adults' novel and I hope it will turn out well.

3. GET AN AGENT!

4. Profit.:D

itsaplane
12-23-2013, 07:14 PM
Finish three books. Begin editing them. Hopefully start querying the "finished" ones. Get an agent. :D Get published.

Alpha Echo
12-23-2013, 07:22 PM
Write! I don't know what happened this year, but I need to WRITE!!!!

Blinkk
12-24-2013, 06:00 AM
I'm a beginning writer when it comes to stories so my writing goals are probably less than most, but we've all got to start somewhere, yes? Poetry, I've been doing for over a decade. :)

Story goals:

Be brave enough to share something at my writer's circle.
Be brave enough to share something in the fantasy section of Share Your Work. (I know, I'm a wimp.)
Complete the first draft of my One Thousand Ghosts story.
Then find a reliable beta (or two) for the One Thousand Ghosts story.
Become a beta reader for others on AW!

Poetry Goals:

Transpose my poetry into lyrics for my band. (They asked me to do this! Ah!)
Start researching how to go about publishing poetry. Eventually submit poetry for pub.
Start researching poetry contests. Eventually submit poetry for a contest.
Experiment with happy poems, you depressing, malfunctioning, emo.
Bake delicious lava cake.

Lorcroftlegacy
12-24-2013, 05:11 PM
My 2014 writing goals include but are not limited to:
1.Finish final draft of 'Just Another Dick From Chicago'
2.Get an agent
3.Finish first draft of book 2

JFitchett92
12-24-2013, 07:31 PM
It's looking very unlikely that I'm going to finish my reading goal for this year, but I have one goal for next year: Complete my first novel and query it. I'm going to try and edit a few pages a day, which will have me ready by the summer.

Judy Koot
12-24-2013, 07:47 PM
Love topics like these.

My 2014 goals:
- Publish 4 novels
- Create 4 online writing courses

Good luck to everyone!

Elorenalory
12-24-2013, 09:21 PM
Oh, I will join in on this! Maybe putting my goals down will help keep me accountable.

My goals for 2014:

Get Of Broken Things finished, rewritten and edited and start querying by August 2014.
Start the first draft for a new novel.
Write at least one post a week in my blog
Write at least four short stories and submit them to magazines.
Read a lot.

Chris_tine
12-24-2013, 10:17 PM
Here go mine! Not really in a particular order. I hope I can accomplish at least 1 or 2 :tongue

- Finish my Diploma in Marketing
- Revise and edit my MS to get it ready for Beta Reader
- Create and update a Blog
- Get my A1 certificate in German
- Collaborate regularly with a volunteers association by teaching Catalan to ethnic minorities

Best of luck to everyone on their goals list! And Merry Christmas too! :)

stormie
12-24-2013, 10:24 PM
Finishing my WIP book in the early part of 2014.

Getting the above published (maybe search for an agent. I had one once, it didn't work out)

Beginning another novel (right now I have no clue what it'll be)

Writing more light verse and getting it published.

wolfking
12-24-2013, 10:38 PM
I was hoping to get #1 done this year, but a few things (me, me and me) got in the way.

#1 - finish editing and submit Book 1 for publication
#2 - complete two drafts of Book 2
#3 - read at least 8 books
#4 - retire from current occupation after Book 1 sells 1 million copies.

HSLane
12-24-2013, 10:42 PM
I want to get something published. Besides that, maybe write a full-length book; I'm finding the transition from short story/novella to larger pieces more difficult than I thought.

eqb
12-24-2013, 11:45 PM
For me, goals are things under my control. Sales are not. Publication schedules definitely are not. But writing is. So with that in mind, here are my goals for 2014:

1. Edit my "coda" story for my River of Souls trilogy. I have an existing draft, but I'm not happy with the middle section, so I need to rethink the plot and rewrite. I want to have a submission ready draft by end of February.

2. Handle copyedits and galley review for my alt-history novel by the given deadlines. (Whenever those deadlines fall. Until I find that out, I can't give firm dates, but probably in February for copyedits and April for galley pages.)

3. Write the first three chapters for a new novel and get the submission packet to my agent by May 1st.

4. Make one thorough editing pass through my fourth River of Souls novel by September 1st. (A polished draft exists, but I need to bring the worldbuilding in line with the previous books. I also think the book overall needs to level up.)

5. Finish the new novel from #3 by the end of the year. That means written, revised, and ready for submission.

And I'll hold off on any other goals, since the year often brings a lot of surprises. *g*

Pushingfordream
12-25-2013, 04:38 AM
Wow its great to see so many people wanna write/polish a book or two during 2014! :) I have yet to get a full book polished, but hopefully this is the year for me.

Vella
12-25-2013, 04:45 AM
Like someone said above - hoping this holds me accountable!

For 2014, I will:
- Polish three novels to publishable standard, one by April/May, the other two by the end of the year.
- Submit novel 1 to agents.
- Attend at least one, preferable more, writer's convention, and really dig into the industry.

Layla Nahar
12-25-2013, 04:47 AM
I want to develop a better understanding of story and to be able to write more words in a session than I am currently capable of.

Author CJ Black
12-25-2013, 05:16 AM
To be perfectly honest, I don't know. I've made plans before and life seems to get in the way. So I'm going to take things as they come. I know what I'd like to do:

Find an agent for Tinderbox.
Finish the two WIP's I'm working on.
Hopefully get Tinderbox published in mainstream.
Get published in other mediums. I'd love to do a graphic novel.

Pushingfordream
12-25-2013, 05:59 AM
Added more to my goals...

Helix
12-25-2013, 07:13 AM
My two goals are seem simple: to keep everything under control and to finish what I've started.

rwm4768
12-25-2013, 09:30 AM
-Get an agent.
-Get a publisher.
-Write something apart from the two series I'm working on now.

Pushingfordream
12-26-2013, 02:32 AM
Only 25 more posts... And began rewriting book.

ThatWolfAgain
12-26-2013, 06:30 AM
1.) Write a novel in January. That's a class, so if I don't succeed, I actually fail! =D (This is a good thing, in my opinion. I only have to hit 50k to pass, but my goal is to finish. If I could have set it up so I had to hit 70k, I would have.)
2.) Do W1S1 for the months after January until the end of the semester.
3.) Finish editing this novella, whether that means keeping it as is and pure edits or expanding into a novel, which was my original intention.
4.) Crit more stories; get to 50 posts.

After that, we'll see.

ishtar'sgate
12-26-2013, 06:48 AM
Very simple: Finish my WIP by summer. Attend 2014 Surrey Writers' Conference. I keep meaning to get to it every year but something always comes up to thwart my plans. This year I'm going and that's that!

Pushingfordream
12-26-2013, 10:19 AM
Updated my goals again... :)

Bloo
12-26-2013, 11:17 AM
Some simple stuff for me...

I was fortunate to have plays published in 2012 and 2013, I have one coming out in 2014, after that I don't know LOL

Increase my personal marketing/branding being more proactive in getting my name out.

Finish the full-length play I've been working on for 2 goddamn years

I was fortunate to have a NYC reading on World Theater day, I'm going to strive for that again this year.

Polish up and expand by about 10-15 pages, two short plays that I've done.

Take a show (or at the very least attend) the Kansas City Fringe Festival

oakbark
12-26-2013, 12:17 PM
2014 is going to be a tough work-year... which feels good!

Get 3 novels that have been percolating done.
Re-make my personal blog.
Participate in more short-story competitions.
Spend at least 1 hr a day in nature.
Launch a writing-oriented website.
Rent another home, perhaps leave the big city.
Drink less coffee, lots of water.
Drastically cut my work on affiliate websites.
Consolidate my writing tools! (currently spread through Libre Office, Scrivener, Focuswriter, Google Drive, Yarny and xMind.. too many)

Pushingfordream
12-26-2013, 12:20 PM
2014 is going to be a tough work-year... which feels good!

Get 3 novels that have been percolating done.
Re-make my personal blog.
Participate in more short-story competitions.
Spend at least 1 hr a day in nature.
Launch a writing-oriented website.
Rent another home, perhaps leave the big city.
Drink less coffee, lots of water.
Drastically cut my work on affiliate websites.
Consolidate my writing tools! (currently spread through Libre Office, Scrivener, Focuswriter, Google Drive, Yarny and xMind.. too many)

Wow, I really like your goals. The 1 hour a day in nature is awesome and the more water!

BradCarsten
12-26-2013, 01:05 PM
I've been working on my manuscript full time for 4.5 years. I've got 8% left of my 100th and final edit. Plan to get that finished early next year. From there its finding an agent and working on a few cool marketing ideas. Please be good to me 2014!

eternalised
12-26-2013, 02:39 PM
100th edits? Wow! I'd probably burn the manuscript at edit #20.

Katrina S. Forest
12-26-2013, 03:57 PM
My goal for 2014 is to make 365 submissions. Queries count. Short stories count. Contests count. Heck, I'm even going to say self-publishing a piece counts, if I choose to do that. (Not in my plans per se, but you never know.)

This means I'm going to get smacked with a lot of rejection this year. I've even created a separate folder in my inbox for it. But you know what? I'm tired of fixating my goals on whether or not someone felt inclined to say yes. I don't control that. If submissions went out, and they were the best I could make them, it's done on my end.

BradCarsten
12-26-2013, 04:10 PM
100th edits? Wow! I'd probably burn the manuscript at edit #20.

Not literally a hundred edit, I would burn it also. I was doing the whole hyperbole thing there, but it sure feels like it. Lets just say the plentieth time ;)

GraemeTollins
12-26-2013, 05:49 PM
I far surpassed what I had expected in 2013. 2014 will be:

Do the very final polish of my crime short novel (It's so close I can almost taste it)

Look at my finished adventure novel and decide of I need any extra layers before heading into serious editing mode.

Finish my conspiracy thriller which is about a quarter of the way through at the moment.

Compile my remaining short stories to see if I have enough for a collection. I think I'm probably a few stories short on that one.

At least finish the first draft of my comedy thriller. Whether or not it is a novel or a novella I don't know yet, but I'm having a lot of fun with it.

Learn about marketing.

Looks like a lot when I see it written down like that.

eqb
12-26-2013, 06:02 PM
I've found two things that help with achieving goals is to make them specific and to set deadlines. So "get an agent" would change to "finish my query letter by X date, identify and research 10 agents by X2 date, send out first round of query letters by X3 date."

Almondjoy
12-26-2013, 06:02 PM
My goal for 2014 is to make 365 submissions. Queries count. Short stories count. Contests count. Heck, I'm even going to say self-publishing a piece counts, if I choose to do that. (Not in my plans per se, but you never know.)

This means I'm going to get smacked with a lot of rejection this year. I've even created a separate folder in my inbox for it. But you know what? I'm tired of fixating my goals on whether or not someone felt inclined to say yes. I don't control that. If submissions went out, and they were the best I could make them, it's done on my end.

I really, really love this goal. Everything that you say rings so true.

Good luck! <3

ishtar'sgate
12-27-2013, 01:31 AM
I've found two things that help with achieving goals is to make them specific and to set deadlines. So "get an agent" would change to "finish my query letter by X date, identify and research 10 agents by X2 date, send out first round of query letters by X3 date."

Hey, what's with the x date. Give us specifics. Set those deadlines! :D

triceretops
12-27-2013, 01:54 AM
I've run out of excuses for writing a new book. I've procrastinated for the past 17 months--the longest dry spell in my history. I'm hoping there's nothing critically wrong with my muse and that I gain my confidence back. This is terrible and inexcusable, being that I'm a loud voice for never giving up and continuing on with a healthy production effort/schedule. I'm going to reread some of my blogs where I lay down the law. Time for a bit of my own medicine. I'm even going to pray on the matter and ask the Gods for assistance.

tri

williemeikle
12-27-2013, 02:31 AM
I'm under contract for a novel ( Due November 2014) and two novellas ( one due in March, one in June )

I'd also like to write another novel outside the contract for querying to agents as it's in a different genre.

eqb
12-27-2013, 02:32 AM
Hey, what's with the x date. Give us specifics. Set those deadlines! :D

All right, missy! Your deadline is next week. Get the book finished! :D

Pushingfordream
12-27-2013, 09:24 AM
Making a lot of progress on my goals... :) updated again... 3,800 of 70,000 words done.

Nakhlasmoke
12-27-2013, 06:06 PM
Ah, this thread is exactly what I need.

So, goals that are under my control. Aaaand here we go!

1: Turn in the MG before the end of January.
2: Send in the 3rd Oreyn book to my editor by the end of January.
3: Write one short story a month (and sub the good ones - that part is quite important since I tend to convince myself not to.)
4: Finish the rewrites on That Angel Poly Book by end May.
6: Finish the first draft of The Ghost Book By end August.
7: Write 100 words every day on The Shadow Book.
8: Look into smaller markets for The Book That Dare Not Speak Its Name.

Whew. Okay then.

yellowhammer
12-27-2013, 07:57 PM
I hope my writing goals don't turn out like my NY Resolutions--grand, ambitious, and totally unrealistic. :) It's been fun to read all your goals! Mine is to write 250 words per day at least five times a week. 250 is my magic number. Achievable… More than that makes me stare at a blank screen or scour the Internet instead of writing.

Pushingfordream
12-27-2013, 09:01 PM
I hope my writing goals don't turn out like my NY Resolutions--grand, ambitious, and totally unrealistic. :) It's been fun to read all your goals! Mine is to write 250 words per day at least five times a week. 250 is my magic number. Achievable… More than that makes me stare at a blank screen or scour the Internet instead of writing.

250 is a nice easy goal... :) thats around 91,000 in a year.

yellowhammer
12-27-2013, 09:45 PM
250 is a nice easy goal... :) thats around 91,000 in a year.

Exactly! Pales in comparison to NaNo'ers, but who can really compete with those overachievers? ;)

TNK
12-28-2013, 06:34 AM
My goals are:

1.) Find beta reader for novella

2.) Rewrite and edit the back half of Nano 2013 novel

3.) Follow beta's advice on how to make novella an awesome story

4.) Start a new novel

5.) Start submitting to agents and try not to panic and think I've done it all 'wrong'.

6.) Have fun :D

I've also made a pact with someone on another site to get our shit together. We've given each other permission to nag the other about whether we are working towards our goals or not. :)

blacbird
12-28-2013, 07:10 AM
To submit stuff to publication markets, and to query some agents, both things I am very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very bad at, and find hateful and depressing.

The writing part of writing I can do. The editing/rewriting part, no trouble, either. The submitting part, not so good. Always makes me feel hopeless and worthless.

Maybe the 15-year-old Glenfiddich I got as a Christmas present will help.

Oh, yeah, and to figure out how to unstick my narrative on the current WIP novel, ~3/4 done, and my major characters in horrible threat from a reallly bad dude, out in the middle of lawless country, on their own, without much in the way of resources.

Maybe I should just kill all the sonsabitches.

No . . . that won't work, because I have already written the conclusion, from the first-person POV of the major narrative character, and I like it.

Crap. Where's that Glenfiddich?

caw

Pushingfordream
12-28-2013, 10:31 AM
I far surpassed what I had expected in 2013. 2014 will be:

Do the very final polish of my crime short novel (It's so close I can almost taste it)

Look at my finished adventure novel and decide of I need any extra layers before heading into serious editing mode.

Finish my conspiracy thriller which is about a quarter of the way through at the moment.

Compile my remaining short stories to see if I have enough for a collection. I think I'm probably a few stories short on that one.

At least finish the first draft of my comedy thriller. Whether or not it is a novel or a novella I don't know yet, but I'm having a lot of fun with it.

Learn about marketing. (: Good goal!

Looks like a lot when I see it written down like that.

How short is the crime novel? Wordcount?

Updated my goals.... 6,500/70,000 words done in fourth draft.... also I got 80/100 blogposts

K.B. Parker
12-28-2013, 11:41 AM
Finish and (self) publish my debut novel, followed by two sequels and a novella.

blacbird
12-28-2013, 11:56 AM
Finish and (self) publish my debut novel, followed by two sequels and a novella.

I don't mean to digress from this thread, but I (and probably others) have to ask: Why self-publish?

caw

Chris P
12-28-2013, 12:03 PM
I've got an international move coming up this year, so I'm sure that's going to throw a wrench into things. But if it were up to me:

Snag an agent for the completed novel
Have WIP #1 polished, out to beta readers, and querying (unless agent for book #1 wants this one also! :D)
Finish WIP #2 (currently about half done), polish, and hopefully to beta readers.

One prediction: I'm going to be surprised by either how much or how little of that gets accomplished.

Pushingfordream
12-29-2013, 02:20 AM
I don't mean to digress from this thread, but I (and probably others) have to ask: Why self-publish?

caw

Agree why self-publish. The agent route will most likely get you more sales and a better writing resume. I think agent route is best, but if you think you can handle for time marketing, and promoting...

Fruitbat
12-29-2013, 03:31 AM
Ooh, wonderful thread! I love New Year's Resolutions. :)

The one year I reached lots of big goals, I read my list over every morning so it stayed on my mind. I just heard someone else say he breaks his goals down into a couple hundred mini-goals and sticks them on the mirror, then takes them off as they're done. I plan to copy cat.

Writing goals:

Finish my two nonfiction book rough drafts.

Either get a good jump on my second 100 credits with flash fiction or a novel in stories or both if they work together.

Pushingfordream
12-29-2013, 04:12 AM

The one year I reached lots of big goals, I read my list over every morning so it stayed on my mind. I just heard someone else say he breaks his goals down into a couple hundred mini-goals and sticks them on the mirror, then takes them off as they're done. I plan to copy cat.

Writing goals:

Either get a good jump on my second 100 credits with flash fiction or a novel in stories or both if they work together.

What type of non-fiction books? Historical? Memoir?

lianna williamson
12-29-2013, 07:05 AM
My 2014 goals:

1) finish the second draft of my novel

2) line edit novel

3) get beta readers to read novel

4) do a final draft of novel (if necessary)

5) query agents

6) return to work on previous novel, which I laid aside to write the current one

K.B. Parker
12-29-2013, 08:03 AM

caw

I wrote a blog post about this particular decision, but I will convey the general point here. There are two primary factors. The first is time, at this point in time, I'm too impatient to wait (that doesn't give me permission to skimp on editing though). The second is genre rules. I'm working on New Adult Romances, and there are pivotal moments in the novel(s) that would work against any effort to secure a book deal.

I'm not ruling out an attempt at trade publishing (I'm getting my forum rules mixed up and I apologize if that isn't the correct term to use here) in the future. But for now, as a personal decision, It's not something I'm interested in pursuing.

Pushingfordream
12-29-2013, 08:46 AM
My 2014 goals:

1) finish the second draft of my novel

2) line edit novel

3) get beta readers to read novel

4) do a final draft of novel (if necessary)

5) query agents

6) return to work on previous novel, which I laid aside to write the current one

I like your blog! :)

RaggedEdge
12-29-2013, 10:46 AM

Excellent attitude that I'm borrowing! Thanks! :)

My 2014 Goals:
Query my finished MS for as long as I can stand to.
Practice developing my voice as a writer. Get as honest as I can.
Finish at least one of my WIPs to have ready for querying by the end of the year.
Find a second long-term critique partner.
Read at least 12 YA novels and 8 other books.

SianaBlackwood
12-29-2013, 12:28 PM
Get a short story published
Complete a novel (i.e. ready to query)
Outline the 4-book series that needs a massive storyline overhaul for the third draft
Reach 20 completed first drafts (starting the year on 17, so aiming to add 3 more)

blacbird
12-29-2013, 01:23 PM
Get a short story published
Complete a novel (i.e. ready to query)
Outline the 4-book series that needs a massive storyline overhaul for the third draft
Reach 20 completed first drafts (starting the year on 17, so aiming to add 3 more)

Nice list, and my best wishes for your success in completing it. For me, the bottom three of four are things I would consider "goals". The first, more of an aspiration. I can control those last three, but not the first.

caw

dondomat
12-29-2013, 06:02 PM
My 2014 writing-related goals:
1. Learn to be able to juggle writing and everyday life, in the sense of not being a semi-adequate somnambulist while thinking of my project, but actually maintain some spatial awareness and ability to carry out a conversation.
2. Learn to need less than the proverbial 100 passes to make a manuscript ready for a house editor.
3. Learn to balance finicky details with robust story rhythm.
4. Learn to write adventure film scripts.
5. Master the short adventure novel form.
6. Profit

Wilde_at_heart
12-29-2013, 07:26 PM
Not begin any new projects until I have sold or garnered serious interest from something that I already have on the go.

Nothing new. My mantra for 2014.

LJD
12-29-2013, 07:44 PM
1. Continue querying women's fiction novel.
2. Finish editing and submit 4 novellas
3. Plan, write, edit, and submit 2 more novellas (sequels to the book that I recently sold)
4. Finish writing and edit first romance novel
5. Write 2 more novels or novellas
(OK, maybe that last one is too much, but I don't have a day job right now, so I've got lots of time.)

I hope to sell 4 things this year, but I can't control that, of course.

Pushingfordream
12-29-2013, 09:25 PM
I updated my goals into subcategories cause I have so many small goals.

IKnowNotmyName
12-29-2013, 10:01 PM
My goal is pretty simple; I want to self-publish my first book before my birthday in March. I've already got someone working on the book cover. All I'm doing right now is waiting for the copy and line editor to give me their quote on how much it will cost to edit my book.

Author CJ Black
12-29-2013, 10:55 PM
Well I've mentioned on another thread I know what I want to accomplish but life has a habit of getting in the way. However....

Find an agent for my completed novel, Tinderbox.
Get Tinderbox published.
Get 50 posts on AW so I can find out what the h*** is wrong with my query letter.
Finish my current two WIP's, one of which is the third in my series.
Find more and different markets to write in.
To have a work published in graphic novel form -- although I'm not an artist.

RubySlippers
12-29-2013, 11:00 PM
2014 writing goals:

1. Write six days a week (even if it's only 50 words!)
2. Complete the first draft of my WIP
3. Blog twice weekly
4. Write 25 pieces of short fiction (That's one every two weeks, with two weeks off)
5. iPublish/Kindle publish at least five short fiction pieces.

2014 Non-writing goals:
1. Get out of Debt
2. Get a teaching job
3. Lose weight
4. Exercise five times a week
5. Stop hitting snooze.

So...no pressure on me! lol.

But seriously, there's no reason why I shouldn't be able to do those things!

CJ Knightrey
12-29-2013, 11:20 PM
This is going to be a big year for me just life wise, but I'm going to try really hard at writing along with it.

1) Read more. I think I read all of three books this whole year and I know I could have read more. I always feel better when I do, and it most definitely helps with writing.
2)Finish this WIP and have it edited and ready to go.
3)Start outlining and writing a second book once the first one is done.
4)Learn to write a query letter that doesn't suck.

Pushingfordream
12-30-2013, 02:34 AM
2014 writing goals:

1. Write six days a week (even if it's only 50 words!)
2. Complete the first draft of my WIP
3. Blog twice weekly
4. Write 25 pieces of short fiction (That's one every two weeks, with two weeks off)
5. iPublish/Kindle publish at least five short fiction pieces.

2014 Non-writing goals:
1. Get out of Debt
2. Get a teaching job
3. Lose weight
4. Exercise five times a week
5. Stop hitting snooze.

So...no pressure on me! lol.

But seriously, there's no reason why I shouldn't be able to do those things!

These are some good goals. I like the commitment to 6 days a week, the blog, and publishing short fiction! :) very similar to my goals!

Captcha
12-30-2013, 07:08 AM
Finish the revisions I'm working on now and get them to my agent.

Then, 520K new words written.

Of this, four novels in my home genre, plus a self-pubbed series in that genre (with shorts, novellas, or whatever else strikes my fancy).

Respond to demand from publishers - what can my agent sell? When she sells it, write more of it!

Go back to the YA series and write a second book.

Go back to the UF novel and finish it.

This probably doesn't mean a lot to anyone but me, but it's good to get it written down so I don't lose track!

Pushingfordream
12-30-2013, 07:10 AM

Of this, four novels in my home genre, plus a self-pubbed series in that genre (with shorts, novellas, or whatever else strikes my fancy).

Respond to demand from publishers - what can my agent sell? When she sells it, write more of it!

This probably doesn't mean a lot to anyone but me, but it's good to get it written down so I don't lose track!

Wow that's an amazing amount of words for one year!

lianna williamson
12-30-2013, 07:19 AM
I like your blog! :)

Thank you!

DragonHeart
12-31-2013, 06:47 AM
I'm going to keep my goals small until I'm better off, but for now:

1. Finish the 3 stories I have in varying stages of completion from last year.
2. Complete at least the next one in that series.
3. Do my best to add a new publishing credit to my name.
4. Read every day. I don't think I even made half of my book goal for 2013.

ap123
12-31-2013, 07:19 AM
Finish the WIP
cry
Write a query for the WIP
sob
Shred the query, write a decent one
bawl
Edit and revise the WIP
howl
Query
wail
Sub a few shorts
blubber

Pushingfordream
12-31-2013, 07:20 AM
Finish the WIP
cry
Write a query for the WIP
sob
Shred the query, write a decent one
bawl
Edit and revise the WIP
howl
Query
wail
Sub a few shorts
blubber

Sounds my next year... Include more drafts and more emotional nights... haha... Less queries for me..

buz
12-31-2013, 07:22 AM
My writing goal is to not give up.

Pretty much it :)

Pushingfordream
12-31-2013, 07:23 AM
My writing goal is to not give up.

Pretty much it :)

That's the best goal I think I've seen posted!

buz
12-31-2013, 07:24 AM
That's the best goal I think I've seen posted!

And yet it doesn't require actually accomplishing anything, which is the key to success ;)

Pushingfordream
12-31-2013, 07:25 AM
And yet it doesn't require actually accomplishing anything, which is the key to success ;)

Haha that is true.

RedWombat
12-31-2013, 07:28 AM
Hmm...

Finish That One Novel.
Self-publish That One Novel.
Finish mostly-finished novella.
Work on barely-started-novella.
Finish the second book in that one MG trilogy with the hamster.
Write another MG book in that one series with the dragon.
Illustrate those MG books. (300 illos between the two of them, I expect. Urf.)
Throw a couple K on sundry projects.
Sleep sometime.

Pushingfordream
12-31-2013, 07:44 AM
Hmm...

Finish That One Novel.
Self-publish That One Novel.
Finish mostly-finished novella.
Work on barely-started-novella.
Finish the second book in that one MG trilogy with the hamster.
Write another MG book in that one series with the dragon.
Illustrate those MG books. (300 illos between the two of them, I expect. Urf.)
Throw a couple K on sundry projects.
Sleep sometime.

I like the sleeping part of your goals... That's healthy

Sunflowerrei
12-31-2013, 08:02 AM
1. Finish draft 4
2. Get said draft 4 beta'd and edited
3. Start querying. Yikes.

Niccolo
12-31-2013, 08:06 AM
I've set a mason jar on my writing desk and labeled it Maine. My goal is to save up enough money in order to afford a week or so vacation where I do nothing but write. Granted I don't really plan on going to Maine. More likely it'll be somewhere closer, a little more specific (as opposed to the entire state of Maine :D), probably it'll end up being Saratoga Springs, NY. The way I figure, I'll have a goal to strive for at the very least. At the best, I'll get a working vacation by working.

That's my goal at least. Time to start at it ;)

Penguin
12-31-2013, 11:06 AM
Read a lot. Write a lot. Publish a lot :D

Devil Ledbetter
12-31-2013, 04:22 PM
500 words a day, either written or edited.

Pushingfordream
12-31-2013, 09:32 PM
Eli,
Check out this thread of goals for 2014: It's well established.
http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=282362

Pushingfordream
12-31-2013, 09:53 PM
500 words a day, either written or edited.

:) thats around 180,000 words a year!

AW Admin
12-31-2013, 10:26 PM
I'm about to port this to Goals and Accomplishments since it has nothing to do with basic writing.

Hang on to your hats, and keep your hands inside the carriage.

lmoses2011
01-01-2014, 02:30 AM
*Hands firmly tucked inside*

Since loss of limbs has been avoided, my goals for 2014 are as follows.

1) Continue writing
2) Continue and finish The Adventures of SEB
3) Edit above mentioned until it's a lean mean querying machine
4) Get agent
5) Visit London with my girlfriends!
6) Make some friend on AW? ;)

Pushingfordream
01-01-2014, 02:34 AM
I'm about to port this to Goals and Accomplishments since it has nothing to do with basic writing.

Hang on to your hats, and keep your hands inside the carriage.

Thanks for the switch!

Siri Kirpal
01-01-2014, 03:15 AM
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Get at least half way through the family saga I've been outlining.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Pushingfordream
01-01-2014, 03:20 AM
I'm destroying my goals :) or trying haha...

Eli Hinze
01-01-2014, 05:29 AM
- Complete the revised edition of my 1st book (I'm almost done with its respective trilogy, but since there are things about it that've always bothered me I figure it's best to fix them as best I can before moving on once and for all.)

- Finalize the manuscript of my 3rd book

- Finish the first draft of my 4th book

- Hopefully, very hopefully, get a short story or two published in a magazine

We'll see how all of this goes. Best luck to everyone in their endeavors!

Eli Hinze
01-01-2014, 05:32 AM
Eli,
Check out this thread of goals for 2014: It's well established.
http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=282362

Goodness, don't I feel silly. >.>
Thank you! :)

SherryTex
01-01-2014, 05:54 AM
Get second book written and in editing process.
Promote first book to get noticed.
Four articles in magazines.
ten columns in newspapers.
blog.
outline next book.

Pushingfordream
01-01-2014, 06:08 AM
Goodness, don't I feel silly. >.>
Thank you! :)

No problem. Good luck with your goals!

Kim Fierce
01-01-2014, 06:24 AM
GOALS!

1. Finish first draft of WIP, "Know Your Place."
2. Finish blurb forms for new releases next year.
3. Edit WIP.
4. Query agents.
5. Set up a booth at pride to sell my books.
6. Have one book signing. (SCARY!)
7. Write at least one short story and one article for publication.
8. Begin writing another book.

Eli Hinze
01-01-2014, 07:35 AM
GOALS!

6. Have one book signing. (SCARY!)

Aah! That certainly does sound scary. Also exciting, though! How does one even go about setting up a book signing?

Pushingfordream
01-01-2014, 10:45 AM
Also 11,000 words into my fourth draft!

Phoebs
01-01-2014, 12:52 PM
--> Write part 1 (rough draft) of my current novel
--> plan the rest in great detail (during the remainder of the school year)
--> finish current novel (rough draft) this summer
--> edit previous novel until I feel comfortable showing it to someone else.

Gnashchick
01-02-2014, 09:37 PM
I'm keeping it simple.

My 2014 writing goals:

10 stories or poems finished, polished and submitted to paying markets
Write a review for everything I read

Pushingfordream
01-02-2014, 10:01 PM
I'm keeping it simple.

My 2014 writing goals:

10 stories or poems finished, polished and submitted to paying markets
Write a review for everything I read

Awesome goal.. I have similar goals :)

Pushingfordream
01-03-2014, 12:16 PM
Updated my goals... Now they are a lot harder. :)...

redsoxboy123
01-03-2014, 11:50 PM
I want to write A LOT this year and share them with you.

PS: Any recommendations for a writing tool for a MacBook Air would be a big help

Jim Riley
01-04-2014, 02:00 AM
2014 Goals

1. Eat healthier
2. Exercise More
3. Pay More Attention to my wife
4. Finish and submit 4th of the Evergreen Series novels
5. Write, edit and submit to publisher 5th & 6th novels in the Evergreen series
6. Start 7th Novel in the Evergreen series
7. Go hunting with my kids

If I can complete these, I'll have a good 2014.

Pushingfordream
01-04-2014, 02:45 AM
2014 Goals

1. Eat healthier
2. Exercise More
3. Pay More Attention to my wife
4. Finish and submit 4th of the Evergreen Series novels
5. Write, edit and submit to publisher 5th & 6th novels in the Evergreen series
6. Start 7th Novel in the Evergreen series
7. Go hunting with my kids

If I can complete these, I'll have a good 2014.

Good luck writing two books with edits sounds awfully difficult. :) Hope your year goes well!

Kievah
01-05-2014, 04:31 AM
Read a lot. Write a lot. Publish a lot :D

This nails it better than I can say, ha!

My approach:

Play less video games
Read novels for an hour before bed instead of blogs and forums
Write every single day; no excuses
Submit every polished short fiction manuscript
Send them to another market upon rejection
Finish outlining a new novel
Begin writing this novel

Suzanna Owen
01-06-2014, 09:01 PM
Manuscripts

Edit romance novel
Finish second in the series
Finish memoir proposal

Submit

Memoir proposal
Articles/posts to the following:

Jezebel
Wonkette
Happy Nice Time People
Cracked
BlogHer
McSweeney's
Bitch Magazine

Set up

Twitter
Facebook
Blog

Yeah, I'm going to need at least a year.

Myrealana
01-06-2014, 09:10 PM
1) Write 1250 words or edit one full chapter, six days per week
2) Submit one short story for publication per week
3) Sign with an agent or publisher for my 1st novel, and if that isn't happening, then self-publish
4) Read at least one book per month that I don't have to critique. I've spent so much time and energy on my own writing and critiquing for my writing group, I don't think I read more than 2-3 books just for pleasure last year.
5) Less work at home. Less writing and home stuff at work. It's getting too muddled. Time to do some mental housecleaning.

atthebeach
01-07-2014, 03:46 AM
Complete revisions in January; then query and publish my nonfiction book (this one is to specialty publishers so needs to be done ahead of time)

Start the next one.

Enjoy every minute no matter what the day brings
- And hopefully have "free" time filled with family, exercise, and chocolate, in that order :)

chompers
01-07-2014, 09:44 AM
Adding another new writing goal: This year I will be trying my hand at a non-fiction book. A bit daunting, but I think it's a great idea. I wish I had something like that when I was in school (it's a reference book).

Blinkk
01-07-2014, 10:05 AM
I love the sekrit solstice story swap, and I want to introduce it to my writing circle this year. Maybe it'll be a sekrit summer story swap? We'll see, but I'm adding it to my list. :D

mccardey
01-07-2014, 10:10 AM
Finish book. Please.

JennGranese
01-08-2014, 08:06 AM
Finish my WIP - and then be brave enough to query it.

_Sian_
01-08-2014, 04:06 PM
I love the sekrit solstice story swap, and I want to introduce it to my writing circle this year. Maybe it'll be a sekrit summer story swap? We'll see, but I'm adding it to my list. :D

We did one in the middle of the year one time. Was super cool, cause it was my winter solstice then :D

Um, Goals.

Two shorts a month. Work with my lovely short story beta to figure out how to write the damn things properly. Two books this year. At least three blog posts a week.

If at all possible find a RL writing group? They're a bit sparse on the ground around here though, and finding one that's concentrated on SF and F would be difficult.

Good luck everyone :)

Blinkk
01-08-2014, 09:46 PM
If at all possible find a RL writing group? They're a bit sparse on the ground around here though, and finding one that's concentrated on SF and F would be difficult.

I'm in the same situation. There's one writing group in my town, and the majority of people write memoirs. I'm one of two who writes SF and F. Still, the people there appreciate SF and F, and although they may not be able to point out things like, "Oh, leading the rebellion on a black stallion is cliche in your genre," they are still able to tell me what works and doesn't work for them. It's nice to hear people's feedback who aren't experts in the genre, sometimes.

Anyways, I hope you find a writing group! They're insanely fun. I only just started mine (been to three meetings) but I can't wait for more.

Recklezz
01-09-2014, 12:25 AM
I just have one goal this year. Finish my second book and get it out into the world :)

Even with my day job asking a lot of time it should be doable as it is half finished in raw form already.

GraceR
01-09-2014, 01:26 AM
I'm better with short term goals so I don't get overwhelmed. So for January, I hope to finally finish my work. I am 90% done. Then begin edits. Long term goal, publish this year. Keeping my fingers crossed.

mccardey
01-09-2014, 02:21 AM
I'm better with short term goals so I don't get overwhelmed. So for January, I hope to finally finish my work. I am 90% done. Then begin edits. Long term goal, publish this year. Keeping my fingers crossed.

This, except for "finish my work" read "finish this chapter"

World's. Slowest. Writer. :hi:

GraysonOday
01-09-2014, 02:26 AM
I will finish WIP.
I will reach daily minimum of 1500 words per day.

anthonysunderland
01-09-2014, 02:45 AM
Quite simple really. I've now written seven novellas in 2 different series without enjoying much sales success to date. Finding it tough to match the demands of writing, cover design, blurbs, the techie stuff, and promo.

God knows how Amanda Hocking managed it all @-)

My writing time is more productive and I've got several titles to launch over the next 3-6 months, so sales are of course the #1 goal.

I'll be reading through all the promo tips on this forum and sharing any ideas that I find work.

Tony

dementedtinkerbell
01-09-2014, 04:22 AM
I will complete at least 7 more short stories and complete a first draft.

Flipper_Dipper
01-09-2014, 10:55 PM

This.

* I'd like to finish a draft instead of just having odd chapters here and there with no flow. (I write bits that I get the feel of/get stuck in my head until I put them on paper).

*I also need to come up with a new ending, that is reasonable and realistic but also what I am happy with as well.

*To write more often/more words. I used to write every day and now not so much so I would like to get back into it.

*Be more confident with what I'm writing and let others read it and critique it.

SapphireGuardian
01-15-2014, 04:18 PM
My goals for 2014;

Last rewrite and release;
- Crystal Shade: Afterlight (~5k) ---> Release Date: July 7, 2014.
- Crystal Shade: Angeni, Volume 2 (~180k) ---> Release Date: November 11, 2014.
- 7 Post Meridiem: Deus Ex (~5k)

Start from scratch and finish;
- Nightfall (~150k / 3,3 done)
- 7 Post Meridiem: Gemma Innata (~5k)
- 7 Post Meridiem: The New York Homicide (~8k)

Visual Projects;
- Re-render the Nightfall CG Trailer "S.O.S. Alessandra Laurentia".
- Finish at least three Crystal Shade CG Trailers, "Auralight Fantasy", "Under the Sapphire Sun" and "Afterlight".

Bonus goal;
- Get Crystal Shade into few additional countries and stores (Right now it's 6 continents, 65 countries and ~250 territorial retailers and stores, but hopefully I'll be able to reach a few more countries and stores in this wonderful year.).

tfang1289
01-21-2014, 07:42 AM
My goal for 2014:
Finish my YA high fantasy novel, currently titled Charlatan Rose [although I kind of want to change it]...final draft will hopefully be completed in June/July-ish.
Then, onwards, into the query trenches!
I have high hopes for my novel [as every author should for their own story] and I sincerely hope it will get an offer or representation before the end of this year.

Shika Senbei
01-23-2014, 11:54 AM
By the end of the year, I finally want to have reached my one million words.

kyisama
01-24-2014, 12:32 AM
I hope to have my first non-fiction book out before March. By the end of the year I hope to outline and write all, if not the whole thing, of a fiction story idea I have. I aim to get this stuff done before I can even think about putting it off again.

Shadow_Ferret
01-24-2014, 12:38 AM
My 2014 goal: Learn everything about fiction and writing I should have learned in high school, if I'd been paying attention.

grayworld
01-26-2014, 04:30 PM
I'm going to be "That Guy" and say I want to make $1000 writing this year. It ain't much when you think about it, but it would be a small measure of satisfaction after eight years of work.

aus10phile
01-28-2014, 03:34 PM
Submit the novel I've been working on for far too long to agents
Write & submit 2 short stories
Draft my next novel

jorodo
01-28-2014, 10:02 PM
Spring goal - finish edits and start the query process on first novel.
End of year goal - start and finish first draft of follow-up novel.

Quartz
01-31-2014, 04:22 PM
My goals for 2014
-Write every day where possible. We have a visit to family planned and I don't think I'm going to get chance to write then and we should be moving back to the UK this year too which will be a bit hectic. But every day I can write I will be writing. My goal is 1,000 words a day.

-Plan my writing better. I tend to just sit and write and it's a bit chaotic and messy with plot holes and stuff.

-Read at least one book a week.

-Post to both my writing blog and my dog training (supposedly, it's more just day to day life though) blog at least once a week.

Squids
02-01-2014, 02:59 AM
Actually finish something. I haven't really written anything other than paperwork and work-related stuff for over 2 years. Would love to get back into it and actually sub some stuff around.

eqb
04-11-2014, 08:43 PM
Here's my update for the first quarter of 2014:

1. Edit my "coda" story for my River of Souls trilogy.

Done. I'm now considering whether to write three or four more stories and make a code collection. But that's on the backburner for now.

2. Handle copyedits and galley review for my alt-history novel by the given deadlines.

Copyedits just showed up this week. I'll have them done by the deadline. Galley pages are scheduled for June.

3. Write the first three chapters for a new novel and get the submission packet to my agent by May 1st.

Done. But, er, not the novel I first planned to write. I wrote 7K for that original idea and wasn't happy with the result. Then I got tackled by a completely different idea, wrote three chapters and the synopsis, and sent those off to my agent this week.

4. Make one thorough editing pass through my fourth River of Souls novel by September 1st.

All kinds of complicated reasons, but I've decided to postpone this goal until next year.

So the new goals are:

1) Review copyedits by the deadline, April 29th.

2) Review galley pages by the deadline, June 20th.

3) Write four promised guest blog posts by September 1st.

4) Finish the new novel and have it submission ready by the end of the year.

LadyA
04-11-2014, 11:44 PM
Ooh, goals! I always aim too high, but I'm going to aim too high again, because of all that about aiming for the moon and ending up among the stars...

1) The biggie - to get an agent or a small pub deal for HIS & Y0URS & NEVER MINE

2) To finish (well, I have to start it first) a new ms

That's it - but if I complete just one of those I will be very very happy :)

JustKia
04-12-2014, 12:42 AM
Very late to the thread but...

Finish (have ready to query) Scrubbing Grandma.
Complete first drafts of Clara's Wedding and SSHSFS.

HeavyAirship
04-12-2014, 07:12 PM
1) Finish first draft.

I'm new at this so I'm not sure if I'm aiming high or low with that one.

eqb
04-13-2014, 12:30 AM
A few things new writers might want to take into account:

1) Choose goals you have control over. You can't control getting an agent, but you can control when and how many agents you query.

2) Be specific. Say you want to finish a draft by X date, or you want to research and query N agents by that date.

Kitty27
04-13-2014, 12:54 AM
1. Have six books edited and ready to self publish by the end of the year.

2. Have my epic fantasy novel finished and with a strong willed editor.

3. Work on word count. This right here is my personal writing demon.

4. Write a synopsis without breaking into tears and resorting to strong drink to get through it.

Blinkk
04-14-2014, 01:37 AM
I'll do a quarterly update too. I copied and pasted my January post from this thread. I'll cross of the things that have been completed.

Story goals:

Be brave enough to share something at my writer's circle.
Be brave enough to share something in the fantasy section of Share Your Work. (I know, I'm a wimp.)
Complete the first draft of my One Thousand Ghosts story.
Then find a reliable beta (or two) for the One Thousand Ghosts story.
Become a beta reader for others on AW!

Poetry Goals:

Transpose my poetry into lyrics for my band. (They asked me to do this! Ah!)
Start researching how to go about publishing poetry. Eventually submit poetry for pub.
Start researching poetry contests. Eventually submit poetry for a contest.
Experiment with happy poems, you depressing, malfunctioning, emo.
Bake delicious lava cake

That WIP is coming along much slower than I imagined. I wanted to finish before June, but unless I quit my day job and write 8 hours a day I doubt I'll make it. Still, I'll keep trudging along. Better slower than never. :D

emily
04-14-2014, 01:44 AM
My goals for this year are to:

Continue querying agents with my completed manuscript
Finish the first draft of my newly outlined story
Write at least 500 words a day
Update blog at least once a week
Learn to be patient! Good things come to those who wait (supposedly).

Good job to everyone who is sticking with their goals!

Taylor Harbin
04-14-2014, 03:56 AM
Finish my WIP, polish it, and then get an agent.

ash.y
04-16-2014, 05:37 AM
-Finish WIP by August

-Complete two rounds of edits by December

-Compile a list of potential agents and draft workable query/elevator pitch/etc. by the new year

There, that doesn't look so scary.

endearing
04-17-2014, 05:40 AM
This is such a good idea; I need to make more short- and long-term goals with my writing.

For 2014, I'll say:
- Finish editing/rewriting Draft 3 of my current WIP (Book 1). Forward it onward to 2 or 3 beta readers for editing and comments.
- Write Draft 1 of Book 2, and, if ambitious, Book 3.
- Finish Draft 1 of a different WIP, in different genre.

Pushingfordream
04-25-2014, 08:16 PM
Update to goals:

Write1sub1 Type Goals:
Complete 20 pieces on "completed log" - 16/25

Captcha
09-06-2014, 08:40 PM

Update: Hmmmm...

Revisions done and sent long ago. Just about on-track for the word count goal, and I'm confident I can catch up when the weather turns bad and there's nothing else to do.

But the rest of it has been more or less eaten by the "respond to demand from publishers" aspect. Which is good, career wise, but reminds me AGAIN about the risks of setting goals. Only one novel completed in my home genre, and I'm going to have to work to keep my name alive there while I experiment with other genres.

It's all fun, but it's not all according to plan. Oh well.

amergina
12-09-2014, 07:03 PM
Finish revisions on romance and send to agent by Jan1
Revise fantasy manuscript and send to agent by Feb 28
Write sequel to PNR by May31

And that takes me to June. I'll figure out the second half of the year, depending on what happens with the first.

Well, as normal, my year didn't quite go as planned.

That romance turned into a two book sale to Berkley. The first came out in August.

I spent a good part of the year revising book 1 and writing book 2 (which I just turned in).

I also wrote a 14K short that I sold to Riptide Publishing. I also wrote a 10K fantasy short for the SFF section's story swap.

I *still* need to revise that poor fantasy. I've started on that again.

Captcha
12-09-2014, 09:15 PM
Well, as normal, my year didn't quite go as planned.

That romance turned into a two book sale to Berkley. The first came out in August.

I spent a good part of the year revising book 1 and writing book 2 (which I just turned in).

I also wrote a 14K short that I sold to Riptide Publishing. I also wrote a 10K fantasy short for the SFF section's story swap.

I *still* need to revise that poor fantasy. I've started on that again.

That's funny - my plans were ALSO disrupted by a two-book deal with Berkley and a sale to Riptide! Those publishers are apparently forces of chaos (bless them!)

Fruitbat
12-24-2014, 04:22 AM

Writing goals:

Personal problems kinda knocked off my creative side for 2014, but I did round up my published flash stories and re-publish them as a book. And, I just re-did one of the nonfiction book rough drafts, which should be out (most likely self-published) early in 2015.

Anna Spargo-Ryan
12-26-2014, 02:49 AM
Finish a draft. Preferably the one I'm currently working on, but not necessarily.

I did! If only I could finish this subsequent draft.

I was ineligible on account of selling the book! (The Vogel's are for unpublished manuscripts.) So that's better, I think.

This (http://blog.annaspargoryan.com/2014/10/fervent/) (some trigger warnings)

Submit at least one piece of poetry to a mag.

I sent a few! None of them were accepted though. I'm a terrible poet.