Not open for further replies.

bearilou

DenturePunk writer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
yawping barbarically over the roofs of the world
Anyone else get the email yet?

Scribd has an $8.99/mo subscription service for unlimited reads now.

Deal terms:

The terms of the agreement are great for our authors. 60% list price for all sales for their bookstore, and 60% list for all qualifying full reads in their subscription service.

For the subscription service, you get paid 60% list after the reader has reached a certain threshold, measured by percentage read. The trigger points for "full read" credit are when a reader reads more than 20% of the book, not counting the first 10% of the book starting at page one which is considered the free sample.

They also pay for partial reads in the subscription service, which is a cool bonus and unlike any other retailer. If a reader reads 5% beyond the 10% sample, but less than 20% beyond, you receive a "browse" credit. 10 browse credits equal one full sale.

I went to my smashwords and saw I was automatically opted in. So that's Oyster and Scribd now.

Since my whole experience so far has just been to ride the tide and see what happens, I'm staying opted in for now. I doubt I'll see much activity for my little project but it will be interesting to see how this pans out.

WriterBN

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.k-doyle.com
The partial reads credit scheme makes me nervous. Who's to prove that Scribd's stats are accurate (or even made available)?

Other than that, sounds promising.

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
Please do let us know anything you can how this is working out for you. Data on this kind of service is really useful.

girlyswot

Registered
Reaction score
Website
myromancereviews.wordpress.com
Since my only previous encounters with Scribd have been me sending DMCA take-down notices for pirated versions of my books, I have opted out of this scheme. I want nothing to do with that site. I hate it more than the normal torrent sites because it gives a veneer of respectability to pirated books. Ugh, ugh, ugh.

Status
Not open for further replies.