Do teens in H.S. know about Pavlov's dog?

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
Is this something that is ever discussed in H.S.? Do teens ever learn about (or are they ever exposed to) the theories of classical conditioning and Pavlov's dog? I know I didn't learn it until college when I took psych courses and wonder if it would be an inappropriate reference in a YA book. Like, I want to make sure I'm not sticking something in there that says, I'm an adult and studied this theory and now I'm going to pretend my teen mc knows this stuff, you know? Every once in a while, I will find a line or reference in a book that makes it sort of obvious the author has stuck some of their own personal/non-teen knowledge into the story and it drives me crazy. Not saying all teens don't know these things, but it's something that is obviously a reference from an older person. If that makes sense.

Thanks!

Last edited:

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Is this something that is ever discussed in H.S.? Do teens ever learn about (or are they ever exposed to) the theories of classical conditioning and Pavlov's dog? I know I didn't learn it until college when I took psych courses and wonder if it would be an inappropriate reference in a YA book. Like, I want to make sure I'm not sticking something in there that says, I'm an adult and studied this theory and now I'm going to pretend my teen mc knows this stuff, you know?

Thanks!

In Australia, yes: I think in about Year 9. (Probably not all that deeply)

Dreity

Registered
Reaction score
I took an intro to psych class my senior year, and that's when I first learned about Pavlov. So it's definitely conceivable.

ZachJPayne

Beware: #amQuerying
Registered
Reaction score
Website
zachjpayne.com
Yes! It was mentioned in my high school class. Biology, I believe. I'd believe most high school kids (that aren't complete idiots) would understand it.

Little Anonymous Me

Registered
Reaction score
Yes. Biology and psychology classes covered it.

And that one irate teacher who started screaming about classical conditioning. :D

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks so much guys!!

Thothguard, I'm not concerned about whether everyone who reads it will get the reference (and most teens google things "just like adult readers do" all the time). My concern was whether or not it's realistic/legit that two teens in H.S. would make a reference to it in a conversation in a YA novel. I don't remember ever learning about that in H.S. bio and I didn't have psych, but learned it in college as a psych major. Just doin' my homework/research. ;)

Last edited:

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
I remember learning about it in grade 12 biology (Canada).
Though I'm pretty sure I knew about it beforehand. I don't know if that was from school, or because I was so cool that I spent my summers reading the children's encyclopedia when I was in grade school.

Lil

Registered
Reaction score
Responding from the depths of despair, I have encountered college graduates who do not know that Japan and the United States were not allies in World War II, who do not know that every state has two senators, who do not know an endless list of things that I always considered common knowledge and to which they may have been introduced in high school (but to which they paid no attention).
Can you assume that high school students might know about Pavlov's dogs?
No.
Can you assume that high school students who are voluntarily reading a book might know about Pavlov's dogs?
Now that's an entirely different question, and I certainly hope that the answer is yes.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Responding from the depths of despair, I have encountered college graduates who do not know that Japan and the United States were not allies in World War II, who do not know that every state has two senators, who do not know an endless list of things that I always considered common knowledge and to which they may have been introduced in high school (but to which they paid no attention).
Can you assume that high school students might know about Pavlov's dogs?
No.
Can you assume that high school students who are voluntarily reading a book might know about Pavlov's dogs?
Now that's an entirely different question, and I certainly hope that the answer is yes.

Does Pavlov's dog know about high school students?

Last edited:

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
I don't recall when I learned about it, but I think it's realistic. Maybe it's not covered in a lot of high schools, but it sure should be.

slhuang

Inappropriately math-oriented.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.slhuang.com
I'm jealous of the people who studied it! I never learned about it in high school, but I'm pretty sure I knew what it was just from reading and references and stuff. I was very much a Nerd, though.

If I were a reader, I might raise an eyebrow depending on the character making the reference and how they make it. If you've got a smart, well-read character doing it or using the word "Pavlovian," I wouldn't even blink. If you've got a kid who says something like, "Yeah, like that dog we learned about in bio. You know, the one who slobbered every time he heard the bell" then I wouldn't blink either. But if you've got a kid who's not particularly well-read and hates school and science and s/he uses the word "Pavlovian" or something in passing, it might give me pause.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
In the U.S.? Almost certainly not, at least as the majority of that population. I teach introductory level geology and English composition at the local university, and the vacancies in things I used to consider simple basic knowledge never fail to astound me. In the geology class, I always have to cover what a chemical element is, what a proton, neutron and electron are. Pavlov's dog? Wasn't that the poodle who won the Westminster Show?

caw

Orianna2000

Freelance Writer
Registered
Reaction score
I was home schooled for high school and took a basic psych course that probably taught Pavlovian theory, but I'm pretty sure I already knew about it. But then, I paid attention in school and tended to have really good teachers. If the school was overcrowded, had bad teachers, or if the student didn't pay attention in class, then I could definitely see how he might be ignorant.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I know more than one kid who indeed, in the U.S., went over Pavlov in basic bio in like 9th grade. One just last year; the class covered classical and operant conditioning, Pavlov and Skinner, among other things.

wendymarlowe

writer, mother, geek
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
We covered it in 7th grade social studies, in the overview unit on psychology, and again in both bio and psych classes in high school. Even if your students haven't studied it specifically, I think the concept of "Pavlov's dog" is a pretty common societal one, and it would make sense for any reasonably aware student to know it.

DancingMaenid

New kid...seven years ago!
Registered
Reaction score
Even if the character hasn't learned about it in school, there's still a decent chance that they could have heard about it outside of school. I don't think I encountered Pavlovian theory in an educational setting until I took an intro to psychology class in college, but I'd read about psychology and heard references to Pavlov's dogs prior to that. And Pavlov's dogs are sort of a pop culture thing now, too, so I could buy a character being familiar with the concept even if they don't really understand it or know exactly what it refers to.

If your character is at all intellectually-minded, then I could totally buy it.

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
Nobody?

Ok, here it is:

"Please Knock

DO NOT USE BELL"

hahahahahhahaa!!!! :ROFL:

Thanks again, everyone. And yes, the two characters in the scene are good students who pay attention in school. :D

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Tell you what. I'm in a position to make an objective test of this concept, in about three weeks, when my spring semester geology class starts. I usually start with an ungraded quiz on what I consider to be basic scientific/geographic concepts, just to get a handle on the level of common knowledge i have to work with. I'll ask about Pavlov's dog, and get back here with the results.

caw