what goes into an offer letter to an actor?

Nataanii

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Ok, I have an indie film project and I'm directing it, I'm a first time film director. I just contacted the agent of a recognizable actor, asking how I could go about sending the actor my script for him to review, the agent told me to make the actor an offer through email. Now, my question is, what do I put in an offer letter?

** do I put in the offer that the film project is not financed yet but is in the development phase but that I need an LOI from the actor to begin seeking out financing?

** should I put in how much the film's budget is and the date that I would like to start filming?

** should I put in how much I would be willing to pay the actor, once I do get the project financed?

** should I also put in that I would take care of the actor's airfare, lodging, etc., once the film is financed?

Exactly what goes into an offer letter besides the screenplay and the bio of the character that I am interested in having the character portray?

Wizera

MG/YA Author and Playwright
Registered
Reaction score
This is hardly my area of expertise, but do you want to send the screenplay the first time around? Or do you want to wait for a response/interest before sending it?

Some people get a little skittish about opening emails with attachments, from people they don't know.

I don't have a right answer! Just a thought that occurred to me!

Bergerac

Reading & Writing
Registered
Reaction score
Ok, I have an indie film project and I'm directing it, I'm a first time film director. I just contacted the agent of a recognizable actor, asking how I could go about sending the actor my script for him to review, the agent told me to make the actor an offer through email. Now, my question is, what do I put in an offer letter?

** do I put in the offer that the film project is not financed yet but is in the development phase but that I need an LOI from the actor to begin seeking out financing?

** should I put in how much the film's budget is and the date that I would like to start filming?

** should I put in how much I would be willing to pay the actor, once I do get the project financed?

** should I also put in that I would take care of the actor's airfare, lodging, etc., once the film is financed?

Exactly what goes into an offer letter besides the screenplay and the bio of the character that I am interested in having the character portray?

It is ESSENTIAL that your offer to this actor comes from your entertainment attorney. Under NO circumstances do this on your own.

The agent is rightfully acting as the actor's gatekeeper and trying to find out if there's money on the table (financing) and who is already a part of the package.

DO NOT REPLY YOURSELF. PAY FOR AN ENTERTAINMENT ATTORNEY.

creativexec

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
The agent doesn't want a letter of intent, he wants an offer. Unfortunately, you have no financing, so you cannot make an offer - at least a real one. This is the problem with writers acting as producers. You moved too fast. It's probably safe to assume that the agent forgot about you the moment he hung up the phone, so you can slither away undetected or make a return trip asking for a letter of intent. If the actor's a big star (and that's really the only kind of actor you should be going after - pursuing some "B" actor will only derail your chances at financing and distribution), it's unlikely that he will attach to a small project by an unknown director. It would be much smarter for you to raise funds and then return to the agent. Even if you make an insignificant offer, it must be considered.

There is no format or formal way of presenting an offer. They come in all shapes and sizes. It's about the content of the offer.

You'd start off with something like:

Mr. Cruise,

We are happy to offer you the starring role in our new action/adventure called SUPERSTORM to be directed by Joe Smith, produced by Mary Jones and written by Hank Hayes.

The letter would go on to include what you plan to pay the actor, how many weeks he'll shoot, the dates he'll be needed, the location (Ireland, Kansas), any additional time and whether it's paid or unpaid (like for rehearsal or looping), accommodations or amenities (flying first class, five star hotel during filming and so on, but often you'll state something like "will be negotiated in good faith" kind of thing).

It is often done line by line like:

Compensation:

Dates:

And so on. You can close with some gracious words. If you're a new director that the actor has most likely never heard of (which means it's highly unlikely he'll want to work with you), you can include on a separate piece of paper a "director's statement," which declares why the project is so important to you and why no one other than this particular actor can play this role. Don't worry, you'll switch out his name for your second choice after he passes.

:)

Last edited:

Nataanii

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Well CREATIVEEXEC, I actually was able to cast the actor that I mentioned above. How? I decided to get my cousin involved in this project and I asked him to introduce us, since my cousin KNOWS the actor and vice versa. My cousin is a KNOWN actor/comedian, producer, had a HIT show on Comedy Central. So, I have sent the actor the script, he's interested and now I've gotten the actor completely interested in my little "low budget film" where me, a new director that no one has ever heard of - as you stated above, is and will be directing. :) Don't ya just LOVE indie projects and the way "new film directors" go about getting them made? LOL, anyway, thanks for your "little" reply. Happy holidays! ;)

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Well CREATIVEEXEC, I actually was able to cast the actor that I mentioned above. How? I decided to get my cousin involved in this project and I asked him to introduce us, since my cousin KNOWS the actor and vice versa. My cousin is a KNOWN actor/comedian, producer, had a HIT show on Comedy Central. So, I have sent the actor the script, he's interested and now I've gotten the actor completely interested in my little "low budget film" where me, a new director that no one has ever heard of - as you stated above, is and will be directing. :) Don't ya just LOVE indie projects and the way "new film directors" go about getting them made? LOL, anyway, thanks for your "little" reply. Happy holidays! ;)

It's a long way from interested to actually in - just saying.

creativexec

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com

Excellent. Let me know when the movie is released. You can contact me below.

Nataanii

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
He's interested and we had a great conversation about the project, I feel good about it. I feel, I've gotten where a lot of film directors have a hard time even trying to get to, in trying to even get any kind of interest from a recognized actor to be in their film. For a "new director that no one knows" as the previous poster stated, to even get "interest" from a recognized actor and to get a one on one conversation with them, I think that's a good step. I'm satisfied and that's all that matters...

Last edited:

creativexec

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
It takes a lot more than satisfaction to get a movie made.

Until that time, like it or not, you're still a "new director that no one knows." :)