When Editors Attack: Christmas Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

WaveHopper

Registered
Reaction score
Ha. "Drugs?" And I've never known what a sugar-plum is, either.

wilchris

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Very, very, very funny, and probably accurate!

Buffysquirrel

Registered
Reaction score
Ha. "Drugs?" And I've never known what a sugar-plum is, either.

A plum infused with sugar, ie crystallised. When I was a kid, a box of crystallised fruits used to be a huge Christmas treat. That's the only time I ever got to eat greengages. The fruits came in wooden boxes sticky with sugar syrup, and, iirc, were made in Eastern Europe.

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
A plum infused with sugar, ie crystallised.
Do you know if it's cooked? I've made candied ginger, which involved boiling it, but I recently came across a recipe for candied cranberries where the person just soaked the (pricked) cranberries in sugar water overnight, then rolled them in sugar.

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
A plum infused with sugar, ie crystallised. When I was a kid, a box of crystallised fruits used to be a huge Christmas treat. That's the only time I ever got to eat greengages. The fruits came in wooden boxes sticky with sugar syrup, and, iirc, were made in Eastern Europe.

As far as I know, the 'sugar plum' in this context is chopped dried fruit and spices (often including plum, but also things like figs, dates and apricots) in a layered candy shell.

EDIT: Although The Atlantic disagrees about the fruity core - we're talking Skittles, according to them.

Last edited:

Rina Evans

Registered
Reaction score
Do you know if it's cooked? I've made candied ginger, which involved boiling it, but I recently came across a recipe for candied cranberries where the person just soaked the (pricked) cranberries in sugar water overnight, then rolled them in sugar.

I saw recipes for sugar plums using chopped dried fruit, nuts, then mixed with honey or jam, rolled into balls and then rolled into sugar.

Status
Not open for further replies.