PDA

View Full Version : How to present a pseudonym?

Alkaline
12-19-2013, 08:46 AM
Hi, I'm new to the forum. I wanted to ask how agents/publishing companies deal with pseudonyms and/or feel about pseudonyms. When your client submits work/queries, do they present themselves as the pseudonym in brackets or as the main name? I don't want to annoy agents or have them think I'm being difficult/pretentious. I have a belief as someone who wants to work in the advertising business that the authors' name is also a selling feature, if not consciously then subconsciously. Therefore, I would prefer to use a pseudonym. Would Stephen King be as big with a name like George Smith? Sorry to all the George Smiths out there who write in the horror genre.

oakbark
12-19-2013, 11:08 AM
If your pseudonym is not already established (huge, as in everyone recognizes it) I suggest you query agents and publishers with your real name

if they want your work you can arrange a pen name.

Check out wikipedia's shortlist for examples of authors/pen names
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_pen_names

Alkaline
12-19-2013, 12:17 PM
No, I'm unpublished, but I would prefer not to publish under my legal name. A modified version of my name is shorter and easier to pronounce.

Mr Flibble
12-19-2013, 03:22 PM
Like so

Real Name, writing as Pen Name

Now, your agent may have thoughts about the suitability of the pen name, but it's not an issue having one, or presenting it as above.

BradCarsten
12-19-2013, 04:14 PM
I just signed my submissions:

George Smith (writing as Stephen Kinky)

Edit* I see Mr Flibble beat me too it.

Edit Edit* by almost an hour

Siri Kirpal
12-19-2013, 10:57 PM
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

You sign your query

Jane/John Doe
writing as Glamorous Gal/Guy

If, like me, you prefer to be called by your pen name, you sign it

pen name
legal name

and indicate which is which.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal