What not to write about - Clarkesworld Magazine.

Hanson

Registered
Reaction score
Laughed my socks off at this. Fab.

[Though no particular setting, theme, or plot is anathema to us, the following are likely hard sells:

• stories in which a milquetoast civilian government is depicted as the sole obstacle to either catching some depraved criminal or to an uncomplicated military victory
  • stories in which the words "thou" or "thine" appear
  • talking cats
  • talking swords
  • stories where the climax is dependent on the spilling of intestines
  • stories where FTL travel is as easy as is it on television shows or movies
  • time travel too
  • stories that depend on some vestigial belief in Judeo-Christian mythology in order to be frightening (i.e., Cain and Abel are vampires, the End Times are a' comin', Communion wine turns to Christ's literal blood and it's HIV positive, Satan's gonna getcha, etc.)
  • stories about rapist-murderer-cannibals
  • stories about young kids playing in some field and discovering ANYTHING. (a body, an alien craft, Excalibur, ANYTHING).
  • stories about the stuff we all read in Scientific American three months ago
  • stories where the Republicans, or Democrats, or Libertarians, or the Spartacist League, etc. take over the world and either save or ruin it
  • your AD&D game
  • "funny" stories that depend on, or even include, puns
  • sexy vampires, wanton werewolves, or lusty pirates
  • zombies or zombie-wannabes
  • stories originally intended for someone's upcoming theme anthology or issue
  • stories where the protagonist is either widely despised or widely admired simply because he or she is just so smart and/or strange
  • stories that take place within an artsy-fartsy bohemia as written by an author who has clearly never experienced one
  • your trunk stories
- See more at: http://clarkesworldmagazine.com/submissions/#sthash.NjafPEcx.dpuf ]

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Dang it!

*crumples up WIP about sexy vampire kids playing AD&D in a field who discover a talking zombie cat and a pun-speaking sword in a trunk full of spilled intestines*

Hanson

Registered
Reaction score
come to think of it I know of a successful fantasy novel which stars...(amongst others)

a talking cat. (The Moorehawk Trilogy)

lol.

anyone know a story from the other 'don't do's'?

Last edited:

Hanson

Registered
Reaction score
Dang it!

*crumples up WIP about sexy vampire kids playing AD&D in a field who discover a talking zombie cat and a pun-speaking sword in a trunk full of spilled intestines*
he he

be funny to submit a story containing all of the listed elements - or most anyway - or at least a synopsis of a fictional (as in non-existent) story.

Last edited:

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm. I'm wondering if I've ever experienced an artsy-fartsy bohemia. How would I know?

:D

Uh, okay, the flat I lived in in San Francisco in the 70s where we had an ad hoc writer's group once a week and I wrote poems about the fleas.

That might qualify. Ah, rent control!

Last edited:

GingerGunlock

paralibrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
authorizedmusings.blogspot.com
come to think of it I know of a successful fantasy novel which stars...(amongst others)

a talking cat. (The Moorehawk Trilogy)

lol.

anyone know a story from the other 'don't do's'?

"Mimsy Were the Borogroves" is a short story by Lewis Padgett (a pen name, according to good ol' Wikipedia), involving a child playing hookey who finds a box of toys from the future. Essentially. It's one of the best science fiction short stories I've ever read, and is collected in a Science Fiction Hall of Fame volume (which Wikipedia also lists, but I knew because I own two copies of said paperback volume).

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
"Mimsy Were the Borogroves" is a short story by Lewis Padgett (a pen name, according to good ol' Wikipedia), involving a child playing hookey who finds a box of toys from the future. Essentially. It's one of the best science fiction short stories I've ever read, and is collected in a Science Fiction Hall of Fame volume (which Wikipedia also lists, but I knew because I own two copies of said paperback volume).

They made a movie of that one... not a particularly good one, IMHO. (The Last Mimsy was the name.)

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm wondering if I've ever experienced an artsy-fartsy bohemia.

An artsy-fartsy bohemia is anywhere a flaming cow trying to look like a gorilla climbs any building over two stories high, even though Mrs. O'Leary was Irish, and no one knows the religion of the cow.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
An artsy-fartsy bohemia is anywhere a flaming cow trying to look like a gorilla climbs any building over two stories high, even though Mrs. O'Leary was Irish, and no one knows the religion of the cow.

Yes, I've been there. That's the place alright.

:D

ArachnePhobia

Registered
Reaction score
Hanson said:
sexy vampires, wanton werewolves, or lusty pirates

But wanton vampires, lusty werewolves, and sexy pirates are okay, right?

GingerGunlock

paralibrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
authorizedmusings.blogspot.com
They made a movie of that one... not a particularly good one, IMHO. (The Last Mimsy was the name.)

I confess, I deliberately avoided mentioning it. When I heard its title, pre-release, I got all starry eyed and was like "OH, they're making a movie of one of my favorite....uh...THIS IS ALL WRONG!!!11" As a result, I didn't watch it. But the short story is very, very good. I feel.