PDA

View Full Version : Which neuron was it that misfired?

veinglory
02-28-2006, 03:43 AM
This afternoon I find my large pot of sour cream in the microwave. So I am left wondering. When did I put it there and why--I mistook it for the fridge? the dog did it? There's nobody else in the house.

Cheryll
02-28-2006, 03:53 AM
LOL. I found my car keys in the freezer once. I didn't even bother trying to figure out how they got there.

:Shrug: :Shrug: :Shrug:

Cheryll

TheIT
02-28-2006, 03:57 AM
Ghosts.

robeiae
02-28-2006, 04:49 AM
I did it. Both times.

emeraldcite
02-28-2006, 04:58 AM
lol.

I do stuff like that all the time.

veinglory
02-28-2006, 04:58 AM
You like to eat warm sour cream in other peoples houses, or you're just messing with me my head :p

maestrowork
02-28-2006, 04:59 AM
I found my wallet in the garbage can a few times.

tiny
02-28-2006, 05:02 AM
I did it. Both times.

He's like that gremlin on the wing of the plane.

DamaNegra
02-28-2006, 06:04 AM
I sometimes bring dirty dishes and put them on my bath tub, or put the things from the fridge in the sink.

Then again, I've been known to lose things in my hair.

Maryn
02-28-2006, 06:09 AM
In my kitchen the oven, the microwave, and the freezer all have doors at about the same height, lined up in a row, all with handles on the left and hinges on the right.

When my brain's on autopilot, I just open one of them and put whatever needs to go in a particular appliance in whatever appliance I opened. It doesn't seem to matter which--except that time the oven was still pretty hot and I melted an ice tray. Boy, did that stink! I hope the sour cream was nowhere near that bad.

Maryn, absent-minded without a professorship

reph
02-28-2006, 06:18 AM
If you do such things when you're young, make a note of it so that when you're old, you won't have to wonder whether putting the dog food in the candy dish proves age is stealing your memory.

Cheryll
02-28-2006, 06:25 AM
I did it. Both times.

Well, Rob... next time you're putzing around in my refrigerator, would you mind filling up the ice trays and throwing out any leftovers that have gone bad? Thanks. ;)

Cheryll

roach
02-28-2006, 06:29 AM
My husband once left the remote control in the refrigerator.

Now we just blame misplaced items on the baby.

Elincoln
02-28-2006, 07:51 AM
I've actually misplaced the milk once in the microwave and then I turned it on.

Boy was that a mess.

poetinahat
02-28-2006, 08:02 AM
I once put a Lionel Richie record on a turntable.

Talk about disoriented.

StoryG27
02-28-2006, 08:03 AM
When I was a freshman in high school, one morning my mom found the cereal in the fridge. She figured I had just stuck the box there on accident. So she went to put it away and found the sugar where the cereal should be. And yup, when she went to put the sugar away, she found the milk.

I don't know what I was thinking. I know I was in a hurry and in my defense, I was very sleep deprived because along with going to school, I worked two jobs (leaving home at 4:45 am and not usually getting home until around 11 pm to midnight).

So I must have had a gazillion misfiring neurons and I don't think it has gotten any better since then.

reph
02-28-2006, 08:25 AM
If you do such things when you're young, make a note of it so that when you're old, you won't have to wonder whether putting the dog food in the candy dish proves age is stealing your memory.

StoryG27
02-28-2006, 08:29 AM
:ROFL: @ post # 11 and 17. Funny, funny reph.

robeiae
02-28-2006, 08:33 AM
:ROFL: @ post # 11 and 17. Funny, funny reph.
:ROFL: And then some...

Rob :)

mkcbunny
02-28-2006, 09:25 AM
When I was growing up, my mom used to put the iron in the fridge from time to time. I used to think that was weird—until I grew up and it started happening to me. My most recent brain-swap was this:

I manage our apartment building and from time to time buy quarters off the laundry machines when I run out. So, the other day, I took out $18 worth of quarters and wrote a check for that amount. About ten minutes later, I found the check in my pocket. I was sure I'd put the check into the coin box in the machine. I remembered locking it up. When I went back to check the coin box, inside I found the pen with which I had written the check.

I'm always finding old cups of coffee in the microwave, but they were put there on purpose—just forgotten.

maestrowork
02-28-2006, 09:35 AM
Hamster in the microwave and the cup of soup in the hamster cage...

Shwebb
02-28-2006, 09:44 AM
My mom is known for buying something at the store and paying for it, then leaving it behind when she walks out.

I've also seen her pay for food at a drive-thru and try to drive away without the food.

Optimus
02-28-2006, 01:23 PM
It's called a "cognitive failure."

Usually caused by lack of sleep, fatigue, being tired, stress, etc. Your attention just isn't as great or focused as usual, and you do things like dump out the rest of your iced tea in the garbage rather than the sink, or put the milk in the pantry, pour OJ on your cereal, etc.

Happens to everybody.

oswann
02-28-2006, 01:39 PM
It's either what Opti said or you're a nutter.

Os.

Maryn
02-28-2006, 05:56 PM
There's the old, old joke about the doctor who reaches for his pen only to find a rectal thermometer in his breastpocket...

NeuroFizz
02-28-2006, 06:08 PM
"Senior moments" are sometimes quaint. But just last week, I got into a situation at work requiring immediate attention, and I forgot to pick my son up from kindergarten. They phoned my wife, who had to pick up the poor panicked boy. Needless to say, I'm on the sh!t list for the immediate future, and down a notch or two in her memory forever. And yes, it came on the heels of several late nights of work, as Opti suggests. Age doesn't help...

oswann
02-28-2006, 06:12 PM
...or as Os suggested...

Os.

NeuroFizz
02-28-2006, 06:24 PM
...or as Os suggested...
Probably more likely, in my case. The kid doesn't have a chance...

Jaycinth
02-28-2006, 08:07 PM
I know where one of my kids are. I know where my cell phone is. I just found my pen. I unplugged the iron before I left home. I remembered my lunch. I mailed the submission, I put gas in the car.

So far today I am doing good.

Cheryll
02-28-2006, 08:09 PM
Jaycinth: What about the hamster? ;)

ChaosTitan
02-28-2006, 09:11 PM
Oddly, about ten minutes ago I went to make a sandwich for lunch. Almost put the wheat rolls away in the fridge and stuck the lunchmeat in the bread basket. Sheesh.

One time I put the non-dairy creamer into the cabinet where the coffee goes and the sugar bowl into the fridge. I've put the milk in the cupboard. Put a bottle of wine in the freezer to chill, forgot about it, and left it there all night long (fortunately, it didn't explode).

My roomie has a tendency to put the milk away...on the counter where she left it. :wag:

Sarita
02-28-2006, 09:21 PM
Last night, I went to put something away in the freezer only to realize that it was the mail and not the ice cream. Maybe freezing the bills makes them lower? At least I have pregnancy to blame...

Jaycinth
02-28-2006, 09:34 PM
Jaycinth: What about the hamster? ;)

.........?????? uh.... it's somewhere isn't it? Somewhere nice? UUhhhhhh....don't look at me like that. It wasn't my hamster, I was champion-ing its cause!

Please tell me the hampster is somewhere nice.
( Please tell me that neither Rob nor Haskins are smiling...please... I need that right now!)

rich
02-28-2006, 09:36 PM
I'm sixty-five, I could write a memoir (a truthful memoir) just containing misfired neurons--and that'd be forgetting about ninety percent of the misfirings.

Cheryll
02-28-2006, 09:44 PM
.........?????? uh.... it's somewhere isn't it? Somewhere nice? UUhhhhhh....don't look at me like that. It wasn't my hamster, I was champion-ing its cause!

Please tell me the hampster is somewhere nice.
( Please tell me that neither Rob nor Haskins are smiling...please... I need that right now!)

Whew! That was close. Pulled the little darlin' out of the washing machine just as it was about to start agitating. Wrapped him up in a toasty towel and put him back into this cage.

He's not speaking to you, by the way.

Cheryll

Jaycinth
02-28-2006, 10:03 PM
If he's speaking to you, I mean if you can understand what he is saying... even the aluminum foil hat won't help.

(Hmmmmm but now I have to go and try and find a link to the Japanese zoo.....)

reph
02-28-2006, 10:34 PM
Thanks, that's good advice!

Jaycinth
03-01-2006, 12:12 AM
Reph. You are talking to youself now? Ok. Cool. * Backs away*

So I went hunting and I can find no mention of either Gohan the hamster or Aochan the rat snake after January 19th. I tried the Tokyo zoo site but I lack a language skill.......

I can only hope the snake and hamster haven't gone the way of the snake and alligator. . . .

awatkins
03-01-2006, 12:13 AM
Ahhh, you guys are making me feel so much better. I'm not alone, I'm not!

Cheryll
03-01-2006, 01:06 AM
:D at Reph.

robeiae
03-01-2006, 01:18 AM
There's the old, old joke about the doctor who reaches for his pen only to find a rectal thermometer in his breastpocket...
Finally! We know where to look for Brokenfingers' pen... ... ... ...but I'm not gonna get it.

Rob :)

rich
03-01-2006, 03:25 PM
Here's a staccato of conscious misfirings:

http://www.absolutewrite.com/fun/franz_kafka.htm

Jaycinth
03-01-2006, 08:27 PM
I might not use nailpolish this week. But that's OK I found my lipstick!

(It was no where near BrokenFinger's pen.)

Ok. What was I doing?

TheIT
03-02-2006, 02:18 AM
My nephew had a stuffed animal that his girlfriend gave him displayed on his bedroom bookshelf. Every day he'd come home and find the stuffed animal in the middle of his bedroom floor, so he blamed his little brother who vehemently denied having anything to do with it. This continued for weeks until one day he noticed the cat going into his bedroom. The cat jumped onto the shelf, walked over to the stuffed animal, knocked it off the shelf, and left the room. The cat didn't want to play with the toy, she just wanted it off the shelf. To this day, I think my nephew is still apologizing to his little brother.

So maybe the cat did it. :D

awatkins
03-02-2006, 03:20 AM
Rich--Now I know for sure who not to ask for help with my bookshelves. :roll:

Cheryll
03-02-2006, 04:05 AM
TheIT: That is too funny!

oswann
03-02-2006, 02:15 PM
Thanks, that's good advice!

You're really having a hoot with this one, reph. In you're own subtle way of course.

Os.