Not open for further replies.

Laer Carroll

Aerospace engineer turned writer
Registered
Temp Ban
Reaction score
Website
LaerCarroll.com
Recently I got stuck plotting my current book. To jog my thinking I went to the public library and went through the chapters on plotting in fiction-writing books till I got a glimmer of a solution. I was a bit surprised at how many chapters echoed Aristotle’s Poetics, often with some variation of the following diagram.
triangle-diagrm-800-x-400-2-halved.jpg

How useful have you found this way of looking at plots? How much do you bend or break it if you do use it?

Deleted member 42

The other Aristotelean model is the tragic hero narrative. You'll see that quite a lot too. Both predate writing, both are still flourishing.

You might also take a gander at E. M. Forster's Aspects of the Novel, particularly his distinction between plot and story.

fivetoesten

Registered
Reaction score
^
^
maybe I shouldn't admit it, but I don't know what that thing is. :)

sunandshadow

Impractical Fantasy Animal
Registered
Reaction score
Website
home.comcast.net
Aristotle's idea that fiction is a type of play which is educational by experimental imitation is considered more true than ever by deep thinkers like David Deutsch and other people interested who study memetics. Poetics is the first theory book I covered in the online fiction theory survey course I taught, because it is the foundation of current western literary theory. On the other hand, I don't recommend Freytag's Technique Of the Drama, the book which originated the pyramid diagram. I own a copy of his book (well, English translation) and frankly it sucks. The pyramid diagram has been completely reinvented into something much more useful than he original proposed, and there's little else of value in the book.

MookyMcD

I go to eleven
Registered
Reaction score
Website
michaeljmcdonagh.wordpress.com
There are a few common truths that almost all fiction seems to adhere to. You can think of it in terms of 3 act structure or Aristotelian structure or whatever, but it seems to me:
1) Conflict is king, but nobody's going to care about the conflict if they aren't invested in the participants, so you need to introduce them and the backdrop first.
2) I mentioned conflict is king, right?
3) There needs to be some kind of satisfying ending, which usually stems from resolving the conflict.

You obviously can't have the resolution before introducing the thing that gets resolved. Nobody is going to care about the conflict or resolution if they haven't met the participants (and, on the flipside, they aren't going to want to read a bunch about the participants just for the hell of it after the conflict's been resolved).

There are a lot of ways to look at those basic mechanics, but stripped to the basics, almost everything I've ever read is a take on or builds on those basic requirements.

Once!

Still confused by shoelaces
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.will-once.com
It's a common model for a plotline. Modern tastes tend to go for less of a prologue and epilogue - maybe we have shorter attention spans than the ancient Greeks?

We might also have more ups and downs than this simple model would suggest. A mini crisis, a minor setback, a sub-plot, that sort of thing.

As MookyMcD says, it's pretty hard to get away from introducing your characters, putting them in conflict and then resolving the conflict. Starter, main course, pudding.

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
Not very, as our modern idea of a hero resembles more Hamlet than Oedipus. In Aristotle's ideal tragic hero he is play-thing of fate, and the plot acts on him, whereas in the modern Hamlet model the character drives plot, and he is the author of his own demise.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Like Stephen King and Ray Bradbury, I don't plot, and things like this just befuddle me.

MookyMcD

I go to eleven
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Even if you don't plan anything out ahead of time, I'd assume (hope) that you've got a plot when you're done. And I'm willing to bet it introduces characters to whom an event or series of events happen, and those events reach some sort of resolution near the end of your story.

FluffBunny

Disapproving plot bun disapproves.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Third burrow on your left. Your other left.
Even if you don't plan anything out ahead of time, I'd assume (hope) that you've got a plot when you're done. And I'm willing to bet it introduces characters to whom an event or series of events happen, and those events reach some sort of resolution near the end of your story.

I'm not James, but oh, certainly! I've tried doing timelines and index cards and all the rest and all it did was confuse the living daylights out of me. I tried it with the idea I had for this year's NaNoWriMo and after writing approximately 3,000 words of the world's most stilted prose, I gave up. I grabbed the first plot bunny that winked at me and just wrote the damned thing. There's a plot, three or so subplots and several areas of conflict. It all comes to a satisfactory conclusion (or, at least, it will once I get done rewriting it) in the end. But there was no underlying structure before I actually wrote it.

Add me to those who've never seen Aristotle's Poetics before.

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My answer is: Whatever works for you. There is no method that is 100%. Fortunately, or all books would be the same. But Aristotle just quantified basic drama. It fits because you know what it is now and fit it into your work and the work of others. Just like a Hero's Journey, three act play and any other plotting devices.

For some people, it helps to know the structure and write to it. For others, the structure doesn't matter because it's just a good story.

Jeff

jaksen

Caped Codder
Registered
Reaction score
In MA, USA, across from a 17th century cemetery
I'm no expert, but isn't this the Western/European way of looking at literature? In general?

I say this because years ago, after watching a movie from China, and with a different POV and way of telling a story, in which there was no apparent 'resolution' and the MC's kept varying, a friend of mine said, well, you (meaning me) are accustomed to the Western-style way of telling a story. There are other cultures and other ways to go about doing this, ya know?

So he said to me.

I know with a mystery or thriller, the 'Aristotelean' is a fairly obvious way to write. On the uphill climb you can sprinkle clues, false leads, red herrings, some back story, etc. Then you reach the climax when the killer or murderer or criminal is revealed (maybe), then slide down to the resolution.

But there are stories where the thing keeps climaxing over and over...

And so this is where my spiel ends. :D

Last edited:

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
Starter, main course, pudding.

Ha! Nice :)

2) I mentioned conflict is king, right?

I know with a mystery or thriller, the 'Aristotelean' is a fairly obvious way to write. On the uphill climb you can sprinkle clues, false leads, red herrings, some back story, etc. Then you reach the climax when the killer or murderer or criminal is revealed (maybe), then slide down to the resolution.

I've been thinking a lot about conflict and conflict-is-king. But I'm wondering if there are other things that keep a story moving, and in reference to that I think of mysteries. For me the conflict is a lot less obvious in mysteries, and it seems that the thing that keeps the story moving is the mystery.

Interesting insights in this post. Thanks, all, for sharing. :)

ETA - Jaksen, I'm curious what that Chinese movie is, the one with the different structure you observed.

Last edited:

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
Aristotle's line is useful; in that you ought to be aware of it. But it isn't Procrustes' bed.

For myself, in plotting, I favor chiasmus. The quadriga is the form I most often recommend, irrespective of plot.

MookyMcD

I go to eleven
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Ha! Nice :)
I've been thinking a lot about conflict and conflict-is-king. But I'm wondering if there are other things that keep a story moving, and in reference to that I think of mysteries. For me the conflict is a lot less obvious in mysteries, and it seems that the thing that keeps the story moving is the mystery.

Interesting insights in this post. Thanks, all, for sharing. :)

ETA - Jaksen, I'm curious what that Chinese movie is, the one with the different structure you observed.

I mean conflict less literally than that. I write upmarket satire -- conflict in my case is often just the places objective reasonableness strains the seams of odd constructs our societies have created over time. To me, a mystery is nothing but conflict -- the unanswered question itself is a constant state of conflict that shrouds every other action in the book.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
... on a side note, how brilliant was Aristotle !

Besides philosophy he also wrote on topics like this and many others too I suppose.

And that was 2000+ yrs ago. Wow !

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
... on a side note, how brilliant was Aristotle !

Besides philosophy he also wrote on topics like this and many others too I suppose.

And that was 2000+ yrs ago. Wow !

He was also tutor to Alexander the Great.

Laer Carroll

Registered
Temp Ban
Reaction score
Website
LaerCarroll.com
Modern tastes tend to go for less of a prologue and epilogue - maybe we have shorter attention spans than the ancient Greeks?

I’d guess it has more to do with he was talking about plays. You can’t change scenery very much or often. But in a novel or a movie it’s easier to dice up a story and tell it in flashbacks and other pieces. So you come up with a structure more like this. (Where the grey is the backstory and afterstory.)
tension-profile-novel-cropped-more.jpg

TV has taught us to expect stories with a short grabber at the beginning. Otherwise we might flip channels to find something else; another reason to stick parts of the backstory inside the main body of the play. Too, we often watch shows with an established backstory of cast and situation. And if the story is part of a detective series the MCs are detecting the backstory of a murder or whatever as part of solving a crime.

We might also have more ups and downs than this simple model would suggest. A mini crisis, a minor setback, a sub-plot, that sort of thing.

Yeah. That diagram is an overview. Most stories of any length are like the following. With comic or other kinds of relief for when a story gets too intense for the audience.
tension-profile-w-rest-stops-cropped-more.jpg

I've tried doing timelines and index cards and all the rest and all it did was confuse the living daylights out of me. ... [But] I gave up. I grabbed the first plot bunny that winked at me and just wrote the damned thing. ...there was no underlying structure before I actually wrote it.

Every writer is different. Some are outliners, some are improvisers, and the rest of us do a little bit of both.

... isn't this the Western/European way of looking at literature?

I don’t think so. I studied Chinese language and literature on my way to becoming a (Mandarin) Chinese linguist. There are plenty of stories going back thousands of years that have some of the same structure.

It’s just that this structure is only one of many possible ones. It’s most useful if we use it to stimulate our imaginations, but not to let it straightjacket them. And one of the ways to stimulate is to say: Screw that! I’M going to mix it up or throw it away entirely.

I've been thinking a lot about conflict and conflict-is-king. But I'm wondering if there are other things that keep a story moving.

In some kinds of stories, sure, there’s a lot of conflict. But the idea that there are no other kinds of stories is another straightjacket. I’d say CURIOSITY is king: What happens next?

Road stories come to mind, where sightseeing is the main motivation, discovering America or some other land, the places, people, and customs. Or discovering oneself, a spiritual journey. Where the worst conflicts are flat tires or needing to find a diner or wiring home for more money.

Sure, you can stick conflicts in there. In a road trip by hippies they might get beat up badly or maybe even killed by rednecks.

Aristotle's line is useful; in that you ought to be aware of it. But it isn't Procrustes' bed. For myself, in plotting, I favor chiasmus. The quadriga is the form I most often recommend, irrespective of plot.

You bad boy. NO LINKS to chiasmus or quadriga? Meanie.

All sorts of structure ideas are possible, such as the much-discussed Hero’s Journey. But they should (as several in this thread point out) be used (if at all) as starting points, idea stimulators.

Laer Carroll

Registered
Temp Ban
Reaction score
Website
LaerCarroll.com
Aristotle strikes again!

I’ve been reading a series in Locus Magazine by Cory Doctorow, a respected and popular sci-fi writer. This month’s issue is on plot, where he practially channels Aristotle.

“In fiction-land, stories have beginnings, middles and ends. They have dramatic tension, which rises to a climax towards the end of the story, and then roll on a while longer, into denouement.”

Every time I read statements like this I wonder: What does “tension” mean? So, naturally, I Googled “dramatic tension” and came up most often with “suspense” or uncertainty about an outcome. I also discovered a site that says in fiction it comes in four varieties.

OK. Fine. But what about when we read a favorite book for the second or the seventh or the hundredth time? There’s no tension, no suspense, no doubt about the outcome, or about how it comes about. What is the appeal THEN?

Deleted member 42

But what about when we read a favorite book for the second or the seventh or the hundredth time? There’s no tension, no suspense, no doubt about the outcome, or about how it comes about. What is the appeal THEN?

In Aristotelean terms, catharsis.

For Aristotle, the catharsis is part of reading (or, really, watching, for him) a tragic play.

Everyone watching the play already knew how it ended; it wasn't really "new" to them. But they nonetheless reacted based on past experience and, as well, presumably, their own personal experience.

There's another angle to read about; google Jane Tompkins, and Reader Response Cristicism

Status
Not open for further replies.