Time Travel and Viruses

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
(Wow! Another time traveling thread. Lucky day!)

So, I'm researching a story right now, about time travel. And I'm wondering what might happen if you send someone from our time back in time - at a viral/molecular level. Like, we're vaccinated, but we might be carriers of seriously messed up stuff, right? (Viral and perhaps bacterial.) Could we totally bring on a pandemic to a population that has little to no defenses against what we carry?

And part 2: What might WE catch as well? The viruses of, let's say, 1000 years ago, are going to be different than what we're vaccinated against? And have built up resistances to?

My idea is that going back in time is like sending small-pox blankets to the native Americans, but can also really jack up the time traveler as well. One would think that in sci-fi terms, you'd have to try to counter that somehow. With modern medicine or whatnot. Not even sure you can. You're kind of jumping into a population that's on a different resistance level (in terms of viruses and such).

Just thought this would make interesting sci-fi conversation fodder. I'm not a scientist, so I could be talking out of my bum here.

Last edited:

Vella

Is iníon léinn mé
Registered
Reaction score
I'd say that we'd be more at risk from all the odd diseases (think most of the ones we used to be vaccinated against, but it's no longer necessary). I wonder, though, if there's a little bit of the hospital conundrum - we've got fewer nasties on/in us, but the ones that are there are probably as to the old ones as Spiderman is to the Hulk.

The other thing that would mess you up, if you went back far enough, is the food and drink. Water was less clean, food was less clean ... not that sanitation was universally THE AWFULEST THING EVAR, but we've certainly gotten more finicky about it, so our immune systems aren't used to dealing with it anymore. So you'd definitely be at far greater risk for the nasty gastro-type ones - dysentery and suchlike.

Hm. I shall think on this further.

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
I was idly wondering the other day what'd happen germ-wise if you brought someone from, say, 1500 into the present day. Intuitively, I suspect they'd be in trouble.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I would think the risk goes both ways.

Yes, bad water, tainted food, poor storage, etc. is likely to give a modern person who's gone into the past some GI problems. Knowing this, though, they might well choose to boil water and prepare their food themselves, cooking everything thoroughly, which could help a fair bit. The modern time traveler is also likely to practice personal hygiene at a level which would be freakish in other time periods, when many people bathed several times a year, did not clean their teeth at all, and did not wash their hands after doing anything dirty or before doing anything you'd want clean, like food prep. They're also likely to have issues with common vermin like fleas or rats, doing what that can to minimize contact or eradicate them where others just endure. So the clean modern person with access to lye soap or vinegar and boiled water, willing to launder clothes and bedding, deal with body wastes properly, and change the straw in the mattress and on the floor, may well remove the sources of many illnesses from his skin, mouth, and environment daily.

The present-day person visiting the past exposes them to illnesses which may not have existed where they are; we must remember that through much of history, the vast majority of people didn't travel far from the place of their births. This allowed the introduction of measles to Hawaii in the mid-nineteenth century to kill one-fifth of its population. Because the modern world exposes us to many more bacteria and viruses, we have built up immunities to far more illnesses than your Ye Olden Tymes character will have, unless he's well-traveled.

That said, nothing's foolproof, not modern people knowing about hygiene and disease transmission, not hardy people used to poor conditions. I think you could have almost anything happen in terms of illnesses which serves your plot.

Maryn, who likes plumbing and central heat and will therefore stay here

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
Keep two things in mind. We are descended from the survivors, so we may have some inherited immunity to diseases from earlier times, and the viruses and bacteria have also evolved. What we time travellers would take to the past would be more dangerous to the people of the past, than diseases we might bring forward with us are likely to be. But there may have been rare or local diseases in the past that died out, and for which there never was any immunity gained to be passed on.

There is only on way to know for sure how modern people would be effected by diseases of the past, and I am willing to volunteer to be that guinea pig.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
King Neptune is so selfless...

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
Viruses mutate at different rates. Some, like influenza, come up with new strains each year, others (like HIV) are so variable and rapidly changing (even within one patient) that finding a common antigen to use in a vaccine at all has been a challenge. Many virus strains seem to be more stable across time, though. I'm not a virologist or immunologist, so I can't say for sure why this is in most cases.

I'm thinking that people who lived long ago would very possibly be more robust to the different strains of virus that existed in their time and place in than we are, since the ones who survived childhood have probably been exposed to a lot of them and recovered.

However, going back in time and bringing a strain or variant that didn't exist in that time and place could indeed be devastating.

I suppose whether or not the plagues from the past altering the present or plagues from the present altering the past thing is possible would depend not only on your take on the current level of knowledge of biology in your world (we are currently able to dig up bodies that died of things like the flu or plague (not a virus, but a bacterium, but some of the same principles apply) and do genetic analysis of the bugs that killed them and compare them to current strains, and I'm guessing this technology will continue to improve), but also, the issue of paradox and whether or not your time travel system allows you to alter the past or bring things from the past forward to the present.

Connie Willis deals with issues like this in her time travel books. Her premise is that the time stream is resilient, and it corrects itself in various ways. Like if you went back in time and tried to assassinate Hitler, various events would conspire to keep you from doing so. Also, the net (or whatever it's called) keeps people from making drops at all to places where they could physically alter the time stream (being seen making a drop is a big one--her characters sometimes end up in the wrong place because being seen by the wrong person at the wrong time could alter history).

So someone who harbored a modern virus that could, say, wipe out the ancient Maya, could not travel to that time and place in her universe (and the time traveling historians do take precautions by screening and vaccinating their time travelers and all that).

Her plots tend to revolve around people dealing with unexpected consequences or unanticipated aspects of this property. Someone getting dropped in the wrong place or someone getting stuck in the past are common themes, though to Say Nothing of the Dog was a more humorous story about trying to track down a historic artifact that had disappeared during the bombing of Coventry.

She did deal with the black plague, and with a modern superflu epidemic The Doomsday Book.

It's a great book, and I recommend it.

Niccolo

Registered
Reaction score
My God that would be the ultimate bio-terrorist. Sending someone back in time to spread modern diseases in a time before vaccinations, killing hundreds in the past and thousands of their descendants in the future. They could demand a lot of money to cease their time-meddling. Sending someone back to stop them would only screw with the timeline further, effectively rendering law enforcement powerless.

Man, villains are kind of jerks.

/tangent.

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
Viruses mutate at different rates. Some, like influenza, come up with new strains each year, others (like HIV) are so variable and rapidly changing (even within one patient) that finding a common antigen to use in a vaccine at all has been a challenge. Many virus strains seem to be more stable across time, though. I'm not a virologist or immunologist, so I can't say for sure why this is in most cases.

I'm thinking that people who lived long ago would very possibly be more robust to the different strains of virus that existed in their time and place in than we are, since the ones who survived childhood have probably been exposed to a lot of them and recovered.

However, going back in time and bringing a strain or variant that didn't exist in that time and place could indeed be devastating.

I suppose whether or not the plagues from the past altering the present or plagues from the present altering the past thing is possible would depend not only on your take on the current level of knowledge of biology in your world (we are currently able to dig up bodies that died of things like the flu or plague (not a virus, but a bacterium, but some of the same principles apply) and do genetic analysis of the bugs that killed them and compare them to current strains, and I'm guessing this technology will continue to improve), but also, the issue of paradox and whether or not your time travel system allows you to alter the past or bring things from the past forward to the present.

Connie Willis deals with issues like this in her time travel books. Her premise is that the time stream is resilient, and it corrects itself in various ways. Like if you went back in time and tried to assassinate Hitler, various events would conspire to keep you from doing so. Also, the net (or whatever it's called) keeps people from making drops at all to places where they could physically alter the time stream (being seen making a drop is a big one--her characters sometimes end up in the wrong place because being seen by the wrong person at the wrong time could alter history).

So someone who harbored a modern virus that could, say, wipe out the ancient Maya, could not travel to that time and place in her universe (and the time traveling historians do take precautions by screening and vaccinating their time travelers and all that).

Apparently she does not accepth the Many Worlds Interpretation. Which would explain why she never explained how her time travelers got then. I only read two of her time travel novels, so I missed her thoughts on Hitler. In fact, there are some universes among the Many Worlds in which he was murdered, but that didn't change anything here.

Her plots tend to revolve around people dealing with unexpected consequences or unanticipated aspects of this property. Someone getting dropped in the wrong place or someone getting stuck in the past are common themes, though to Say Nothing of the Dog was a more humorous story about trying to track down a historic artifact that had disappeared during the bombing of Coventry.

She did deal with the black plague, and with a modern superflu epidemic The Doomsday Book.

It's a great book, and I recommend it.

I did enjoy The Doomsday Book.

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
My God that would be the ultimate bio-terrorist. Sending someone back in time to spread modern diseases in a time before vaccinations, killing hundreds in the past and thousands of their descendants in the future. They could demand a lot of money to cease their time-meddling. Sending someone back to stop them would only screw with the timeline further, effectively rendering law enforcement powerless.

Man, villains are kind of jerks.

/tangent.

I believe that was done in some universes. I wish I could find a way to do something in the past that would affect this universe, but I haven't figured that out, yet.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
Apparently she does not accepth the Many Worlds Interpretation. Which would explain why she never explained how her time travelers got then. I only read two of her time travel novels, so I missed her thoughts on Hitler. In fact, there are some universes among the Many Worlds in which he was murdered, but that didn't change anything here.

I did enjoy The Doomsday Book.

Well, I don't know if accept is the right word. It's just not how things work in her time travel universe. It's a different approach to the potential paradox of going back in time and doing something that could erase one's own existence. It creates different types of conflicts and different potential resolutions.

One of her books (forget which one) mentioned that there were early attempts to send agents back to kill Hitler, but it never worked. Something always stopped it from coming to fruition. That's when the phenomenon was discovered.

Her stories play with the frustration of ships in the night, missed phone calls, miscommunications and all that, and there is often a theme of the characters not knowing for sure if it's just normal absurdity or if it's the net protecting the time line in some cases.

Last edited:

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
One thing to think about is that nature tends to select for viruses that make the host less sick.

I.e. You're more likely to go out and infect others if you feel okay. If the virus makes you feel lousy, so you hole up in bed alone, or kills you off too quickly, it's less likely you'll pass it on.

For example, Syphilis is no joke, even now, but when it first appeared in Europe, it killed people in a horrific way (sores all over the body, and madness) within weeks or months. Today, after a few days or a few weeks, you would get one sore. After a month or three, you would start getting more serious symptoms. Part of that improvement is that Europeans gained some immunity to the disease, but it's also that the most successful strains of Syphilis were the ones that didn't nuke the host quite so quickly.

Interestingly, Syphilis may be the New World's one biological payback for all the diseases the Old World sent over--they think the disease came [edit: may have come (see Buffysquirrel's answer below)] to Europe via Columbus' sailors.

Last edited:

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
You might want to research something called "the English sweats", a sequence of serious fatal epidemics a couple of centuries and more ago. These waves of deadly disease simply disappeared as recognizable infections, and what they were remains a mystery, as I understand it. Remember also that AIDS and the Ebola virus were unknown just a few decades ago. You don't need to go very far afield to find mysterious diseases.

Remember also that time travel is an SF trope, not a realistic enterprise, which gives you about as much creative leeway as you could possibly need in constructing a story.

cw

Granada

Registered
Reaction score
It can go both ways. Historic people will be naive to certain novel pathogens, current people will be naive to historic pathogens that have been eradicated or that they are otherwise naive to. There is little immunity passed down genetically, at least in the classical sense, so we as current people don't have some kind of collectively stronger resistance to disease, we just have better hygiene, better vaccines for prevention, and better therapeutic treatments.

So do what you want, and read abstracts on scholar google for ideas.

Eta, what you are really considering is the epidemiology of a disease. You can research the epidemiology of other outbreaks. All bugs are very different, as are circumstances, so if you really want to do this, you could make it happen however you want. I would be skeptical of a pandemic, it's not that easy to get a virulent bug plus a widely (globally) susceptible population, but you could make it plausible.

Last edited:

Once!

Still confused by shoelaces
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.will-once.com
Sounds like an interesting premise. It's a bit like what happens when a disease passes from animals to humans. When humans first domesticated animals we started to catch diseases from those animals. As a result, the average human life expectancy fell. So much for progress!

But I have a logic problem here. If a character goes far enough back in time and starts making major changes, there is a very good chance that he will wipe himself out in the future. After all, don't they say that a huge proportion of us are related to Charlemagne? Or anyone else from that far back.

Okay, you argue, we slip into the many worlds scenario. The time traveller creates an alternative history which branches off from his arrival back in time, creating a new future. But then I wonder why he would want to do this. What benefit would we have from an alternative world we could not get to? Unless we could get to it, I suppose. But if we could do that why would we need time travel?

Then there is the problem of unintended consequences. A time travel virus might kill a huge number of people, but how do we know that the survivors don't end up more successful as a result?

Interesting territory. Lots of questions.

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
Well, I don't know if accept is the right word. It's just not how things work in her time travel universe. It's a different approach to the potential paradox of going back in time and doing something that could erase one's own existence. It creates different types of conflicts and different potential resolutions.

One of her books (forget which one) mentioned that there were early attempts to send agents back to kill Hitler, but it never worked. Something always stopped it from coming to fruition. That's when the phenomenon was discovered.

Her stories play with the frustration of ships in the night, missed phone calls, miscommunications and all that, and there is often a theme of the characters not knowing for sure if it's just normal absurdity or if it's the net protecting the time line in some cases.

O.K., then she took the narrow view, that there is only one world, so any changes have to fit into it.

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
One thing to think about is that nature tends to select for viruses that make the host less sick.

I.e. You're more likely to go out and infect others if you feel okay. If the virus makes you feel lousy, so you hole up in bed alone, or kills you off too quickly, it's less likely you'll pass it on.

For example, Syphilis is no joke, even now, but when it first appeared in Europe, it killed people in a horrific way (sores all over the body, and madness) within weeks or months. Today, after a few days or a few weeks, you would get one sore. After a month or three, you would start getting more serious symptoms. Part of that improvement is that Europeans gained some immunity to the disease, but it's also that the most successful strains of Syphilis were the ones that didn't nuke the host quite so quickly.

Interestingly, Syphilis may be the New World's one biological payback for all the diseases the Old World sent over--they think the disease came to Europe via Columbus' sailors.

Yes, Syphilis is endemic in llamas. I didn't find out who moved it to humans, but people have gotten Syphilis from llama bites.

Lissibith

On target
Registered
Reaction score
I think that question's come up a couple times in comic books (clearly the high point of research possibilities. :) ) I didn't read Countdown, but if I understand right, I believe that he had a disease, and because of the virulence it needed to get past his 31st-century immune system and infect him, it was incredibly deadly in the past. (Something like that anyway)

On the flip side, I think Booster Gold neglected to prepare for everyday germs when he traveled back to the 1980s in his first solo series and ended up getting deathly sick.

Teinz

Back at it again.
Registered
Reaction score
We're talking about evolution here, right? The way our immune system has adapted through time to cope with the various diseases around us? Is there a point in time that we could get back to, in which the diseases of that time don't recognise our bodies as something they could infect? If I travelled seventy million years back in time, could I catch a cold from a T-rex?

Granada

Registered
Reaction score
We're talking about evolution here, right? The way our immune system has adapted through time to cope with the various diseases around us? Is there a point in time that we could get back to, in which the diseases of that time don't recognise our bodies as something they could infect? If I travelled seventy million years back in time, could I catch a cold from a T-rex?

No, it doesn't work that way. First, it would be more the evolution of the bugs rather than evolution of our immune system (which is basically naive for every newborn... We don't inherit immunity. Maternal immunity from milk is the only thing there, which are antibodies and clear from the system after a period of not getting milk). Also, bugs evolve to infect very specific hosts, it would take time and a lot of exposure (close living) to get a T. Rex bug to become virulent or even infect a people... This would be zoonosis - not super common - most bugs are very specific to their host.

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, awesome responses! I just had the idea, a plot bunny if you will. Not that someone is sent back in time to assassinate anyone, but rather, that a time traveler was accidentally responsible for the black death or some other pandemic in the past. Kind of a creepy time loop thingy.

I did talk to a pal who is a microbiologist (and has studied leprosy extensively as well as herpes-types and HIV), and here's what she said:

An unexposed and non-vaccinated population is called naive - that's a bioterm. One example - Chinese immigrants brought leprosy to the Pacific Islands - Hawaii, Tahiti.... leprosy is incredibly hard to catch! Practically impossible. The Pacific Islanders, however, were naive to it - it decimated them - one of the few leprosy epidemics known of such proportions. So yes - you and I and the shit we normally carry can wipe out an immunologically naive population in record time.

Us, going back - we'd have a way better chance. We have concept of hygiene, microorganisms - that unseen stuff is there and can kill you. We also know how to basically sterilize things. We would actually more than likely be okay. Most of our vaccinations would protect us - microorgs change, but not that drastically. The Lepra today is practically identical to the Biblical lepra. Also, don't forget that bacs evolve forward. They evolve to escape our drugs - so are more virulent now than then were back then.

Viruses, however, are different. The goal of any virus is to live harmoniously with its host and not kill it, for it is dependent on it. When a virus kills quickly (HIV in the beginning, Ebola, Marburg, Lassa, etc), it means it has not yet adapted to its new host, post jump. HIV drugs are good, but also - HIV is different now - it is no longer as lethal. Ebola and others will also evolve, given time. So viruses are worse when they first jump to a new species, and get less horrid as they adjust.

Definitely touches on what Maryn said about knowing basic sterilization techniques and whatnot.

Buffysquirrel

Registered
Reaction score
Interestingly, Syphilis may be the New World's one biological payback for all the diseases the Old World sent over--they think the disease came to Europe via Columbus' sailors.

That theory took a bit of a whack when bones with damage identical to that caused by syphilis were discovered in a European pre-Columbus. It's possible that it was pre-existing but perhaps in a slightly different form. Of course, if the syphilis doesn't get you, the mercury treatment will....

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
That theory took a bit of a whack when bones with damage identical to that caused by syphilis were discovered in a European pre-Columbus. It's possible that it was pre-existing but perhaps in a slightly different form. Of course, if the syphilis doesn't get you, the mercury treatment will....

Geesh, yeah. I cannot imagine. "Aww, sniffles! Here's some mercury."

(shudder)

mrgnome

Registered
Reaction score
This is a really interesting idea. I've read a lot of time travel stories where the person going back in time screws up the future, but not with germs.

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
Well, that evidence isn't conclusive either. The damage could have been caused by other diseases, such as yaws. This article notes that while they may never tease out the disease's roots for certain, modern-day strains of syphilis resemble those found in South America.