PDA

View Full Version : Beta Needed for High Concept YA Contemp

Stiger05
12-16-2013, 07:10 PM
Hello! I'm looking for a beta with a fairly quick turn-around. It's a high concept YA, sort of thriller, around 64k words. Here's the query that got my agent's interest in the project:

Eighteen-year-old Flynn Prices's days are numbered. Because cancer freaking sucks. His only treatment option is surgery, but even that won’t save him, only add some days to his quickly dwindling clock.

His mentor, Reggie, is another story, though. Surgery would change Reggie's life, but he can’t afford it.

Depressed, frustrated, and pissed the hell off, Flynn take matters into his own hands and enlists the help of teen computer whiz and fellow death-row patient, Alex. They hack into Nashville’s biggest bank and “reallocate” the dough for Reggie’s surgery into a shell account.

Flynn learns there are a slew of patients just like Reggie, and even more rich dudes blowing life-saving money on crappy boats and flashy cars. Flynn and Alex decide to make use of what little time they have left. Together, they go on a crime spree Robin Hood would envy.

But when giant deposits start appearing and disappearing from their account, Flynn realizes there are other players in this game—and they’re way better at it than he is. The other hackers are using Flynn and Alex as scapegoats for their own operation, and stealing way more than they ever dreamed.

With the feds breathing down his neck and both his and Alex’s heath worsening every day, Flynn has to expose the other hackers before he takes the fall for all their crimes. Cancer may be kicking his ass, but he’ll be damned if he lets a bunch of greedy nerds take him down first.

It's told from two perspectives--Flynn, and one of the antagonist hackers, Nora. It's first person present. The plot deviated a little from my original query, but it's still pretty close. I'm looking for feedback regarding the overall plot and flow, and whether the two voices are distinct and consistent throughout. I'm thick-skinned, so don't be afraid to hurt my feelings. Like I said at the beginning, I do need a fairly quick turnaround, my agent is waiting on this ms (eep!).

I'm willing to swap work, but I probably won't get a chance to read yours until after Christmas (I'm going to a land of no internet for a week next week), and maybe not until after I get mine turned in. I know that doesn't seem fair, me asking for a quick turnaround and then putting yours off until later, and I'm not sure what I can do to sweeten the deal other than say I'll really, really appreciate it (and maybe send you pie?). Let me know if you're interested!

Taylor Kowalski
12-17-2013, 01:08 AM
I'd be willing to swap! In fact, this works out beautifully. I can whip through your piece pretty quick, as my university semester has just ended and I have a month off from the madness of it all.

I have a YA contemporary fantasy, which will likely resolve at around 70,000 words, whose fourth draft I need beta'd. However, I'm still in middle of some significant revisions that will likely take me the next couple of weeks to finish. So waiting to offer you my ms. until after Christmas won't be a problem in the slightest. :D

PM me if you're interested! I can provide you more details on me and my WIP, and we can see if we click well enough for this.

Undercover
12-17-2013, 01:23 AM
I can't swap just yet. I'm waiting to finish edits on one of my books first. But I did want to tell you, I LOVE this concept. Good Luck with it!

Stiger05
12-17-2013, 02:30 AM
Thanks, Taylor! PM'ing.

Undercover, thank you so much! :)

casualrungal
12-20-2013, 10:06 PM
Hi Stiger, if you're looking for another beta, I'd be happy to give your MS a read-through! I don't have anything to exchange with you now, but maybe an IOU for a future MS?

Netz
12-20-2013, 11:59 PM
If anybody's looking to volunteer, I can promise you a very enjoyable beta read. :)

P.S. Waiting for my slice of pie, Stiger05. ;)

Stiger05
12-21-2013, 01:03 AM
Thanks, guys! Netz, you're too kind! :D

Bing Z
12-21-2013, 03:23 AM
I like your query. Let me know if you still need another pair of eyes. My MS has a long way to go, so long that I don't really care about swap.

Stiger05
12-21-2013, 09:48 AM
Thanks, Bing! I think I'm covered for now, but if I do another round, can I keep you in mind?