PDA

View Full Version : Who's your favourite comedian of all-time?

AdamH
02-28-2006, 12:26 AM
So I watched "The Aristocrats" last night. To put simply, it ain't for the faint of heart. But without commenting much on the movie, I got to thinking. Who is my favourite comedian? I'd say currently...Jon Stewart. But of all time? Easy. George Burns.

"When I was a boy, the Dead Sea was only sick."

How about your all time favourite? (yes, there's a poll coming...here's the choices for all of you in case you get a little trigger happy on the post button)

-George Burns
-George Carlin
-Bill Cosby
-Jerry Seinfeld
-Steve Martin
-Steven Wright
-Jon Stewart
-Ellen Degeneres
-Orlando Bloom
-Other

robeiae
02-28-2006, 01:01 AM
Tie: Bob Hope, Jerry Lewis, and Al Pacino.

Rob :)

Shadow_Ferret
02-28-2006, 01:05 AM
Singular? What about comedy teams?

Singular I'd have to go with Bob Hope.

Although Cary Grant was in some very funny movies, I don't think he technically qualifies as a comedian.

By the way, is that list sexist? No Lucy? No Carol Burnette?

Lantern Jack
02-28-2006, 01:05 AM
My definition of "comedian" is broad, although my sense of humor is quite the opposite. One of my sub-denotations of comedian is "comedic actor". In that sense, my favorite comedians are:

Dudette: Julia-Louise Dreyfus

and

Dudinsky: Jason Alexander

Both Seinfeld alumni.

Call me a classicist.

Nicholson James
02-28-2006, 02:14 AM
George Carlin.

Lewis Black's in second.

tiny
02-28-2006, 02:15 AM
Eddie Izzard.

Elincoln
02-28-2006, 02:18 AM
Richard Pryor

poetinahat
02-28-2006, 02:20 AM
Henny Youngman.

Saw him perform once - I knew every joke by heart, but I've never laughed so hard in my life.

Musically? Hmmm: Allan Sherman or Tom Lehrer? Is puzzlement.

AdamH
02-28-2006, 02:20 AM
Can't believe I forgot to include Bob Hope...I'm such a dope...AND Richard Pryor...man, I must've been hopped up on Slushie syrup to forget about those guys. I suppose that's why the "Other" option is there...to cover my ineptitude.

Maryn
02-28-2006, 02:47 AM
I've seen Carlin three times, Black twice, and most of the others never, except on TV, but Steven Wright's mind works in such wonderfully odd ways that he wins, hands down.

Although I do sleep-deprive myself four days a week so as not to miss Jon Stewart. He's the reason I'll watch the Academy Awards this year, too.

Maryn, with a serious comedy jones

MarkN
02-28-2006, 04:02 AM
Personally I think I'd have to go with Victor Borge.

"My doctor told me I needed glasses. So, on my way out, I took his. When I got home he called me up, and said he needed to see me right away. But he can't because I've got the glasses."

:D

Jcomp
02-28-2006, 04:05 AM
Dave Chapelle...

Unique
02-28-2006, 04:16 AM
Jackie Gleason

jackie106
02-28-2006, 04:22 AM
Yogi Berra

TheIT
02-28-2006, 04:25 AM
Not sure of all time, but Robin Williams is definitely part of the top five.

Lisa Y
02-28-2006, 04:59 AM
John Carson

trumancoyote
02-28-2006, 05:02 AM
Where's Miss Cho?

Perks
02-28-2006, 05:04 AM
George Carlin.

Lewis Black's in second.

I love Lewis Black. He's my favorite right now.

robeiae
02-28-2006, 05:05 AM
Where's Miss Cho?
She'e outstanding in her field.

alleycat
02-28-2006, 05:14 AM
When I was a kid, the Smothers Brother could have me rolling in the floor when they went through one of their routines.

The only comedy album I ever bought was one by Richard Pryor. It's not exactly clean, but it's funny.

I also liked Bob Newhart doing one of his deadpan routines.

DamaNegra
02-28-2006, 06:07 AM
Orlando Bloom. He might be cute but his acting is... well.... let's just say it makes me laugh, and not because it's supposed to be funny.

eldragon
02-28-2006, 06:16 AM
Maybe someone like

SAM KINISON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

eldragon
02-28-2006, 06:18 AM
No, actually, it's
Jim Carrey.

William Haskins
02-28-2006, 06:20 AM
it makes me want to cry that no one's mentioned lenny bruce or bill hicks.

i don't think i can play here anymore.

trumancoyote
02-28-2006, 06:24 AM
William Haskins -- for thinking Lenny Bruce and Bill Hicks are funny.

Sarita
02-28-2006, 06:28 AM
Yeah William, I'm torn between Bill Hicks and Eddie Izzard. Sorry I didn't chime in sooner, today has been a real b!tch to me. I'm going to check napster to see if I can download any of these guys for some laughs...

trumancoyote
02-28-2006, 06:30 AM
And Sara too, for echoing William's sentiment.

William Haskins
02-28-2006, 06:35 AM
arizona ain't that far, sport.

trumancoyote
02-28-2006, 06:36 AM
Are you suggesting a lively debate over coffee and cigarettes? Because I'm up for it, William.

I'll debate your freakin' head off.

Sarita
02-28-2006, 06:38 AM
arizona ain't that far, sport.It's too far for me. I wanna fight Zach, too!!!

trumancoyote
02-28-2006, 06:39 AM
I'm too little to fight!

But you bet your *** these here wrists can slap.

rhymegirl
02-28-2006, 06:42 AM
Zach, are you causing trouble again?

William Haskins
02-28-2006, 06:44 AM
Are you suggesting a lively debate over coffee and cigarettes? Because I'm up for it, William.

I'll debate your freakin' head off.

A lot of people say to me, "Why did you kill Christ?" "I dunno... it was one of those parties, got out of hand, you know." "We killed him because he didn't want to become a doctor, that's why we killed him." - Lenny Bruce

I was in Nashville, Tennesee last year. After the show I went to a Waffle House. I'm not proud of it, I was hungry. And I'm alone, I'm eating and I'm reading a book, right? Waitress walks over to me: "<smack smack smack smack> Hey, whatchoo readin' for?"

Isn't that the weirdest f*cking question you've ever heard? Not what am I readING, but what am I reading *for*? Well, godammit, ya stumped me! Why do I read? Well... hmmm... I dunno... I guess I read for a lot of reasons, and the main one is so I don't end up being a f*cking waffle waitress. - Bill Hicks

rhymegirl
02-28-2006, 06:45 AM
it makes me want to cry that no one's mentioned lenny bruce or bill hicks.

i don't think i can play here anymore.

Who is Bill Hicks?????

trumancoyote
02-28-2006, 06:47 AM
A lot of people say to me, "Why did you kill Christ?" "I dunno... it was one of those parties, got out of hand, you know." "We killed him because he didn't want to become a doctor, that's why we killed him." - Lenny Bruce

I was in Nashville, Tennesee last year. After the show I went to a Waffle House. I'm not proud of it, I was hungry. And I'm alone, I'm eating and I'm reading a book, right? Waitress walks over to me: "<smack smack smack smack> Hey, whatchoo readin' for?"

Isn't that the weirdest f*cking question you've ever heard? Not what am I readING, but what am I reading *for*? Well, godammit, ya stumped me! Why do I read? Well... hmmm... I dunno... I guess I read for a lot of reasons, and the main one is so I don't end up being a f*cking waffle waitress. - Bill Hicks

Hehehe. Okay. You win.

But c'mon, Cho is a pretty funny name, right?

Ooh, look at me! My name is Cho! Ching-chong-wang-wong.

Teehee XD

William Haskins
02-28-2006, 06:49 AM
she was always a little whiny for me, zach. she wears her agendas like spilt lasagna.

trumancoyote
02-28-2006, 06:51 AM
She's all I got, man. Let me have her.

William Haskins
02-28-2006, 06:52 AM
explain

SallyD
02-28-2006, 06:53 AM
I LOVE LOVE LOVE Steve Martin!! Sense of humor and brains - what a combo!

William Haskins
02-28-2006, 06:53 AM
rhyme:

go here.

http://www.billhicks.com/

trumancoyote
02-28-2006, 06:54 AM
explain

Not much explanation needed, actually. She's just the one that's freshest in my mind 'cause I heard her most recently.

I'm terrible w/ names and couldn't think of anyone else.

... I wear my ignorance like spilt lasagna... that I've tried to lick off my shirt so there's a bigger stain than before and... yeah.

William Haskins
02-28-2006, 06:56 AM
go here:

http://www.freenetpages.co.uk/hp/lennybruce/

trumancoyote
02-28-2006, 06:56 AM
Will do :)

September skies
02-28-2006, 07:13 AM
Johnny Carson, Steve Martin and Maestro (Ray Wong)

kristie911
02-28-2006, 07:41 AM
Lewis Black hands down! Only comedian that can consistantly make me laugh.

Oh and I can't forget Ron White...but maybe you have to be a redneck (or white trash) to truly appreciate him. Actually, all four from the Blue Collar Comedy Tour crack me up.

"Git-R-Done!"

Lantern Jack
02-28-2006, 09:56 AM
I'm too little to fight!

But you bet your *** these here wrists can slap.

You're 6'3, you freakin' liar:)

Lantern Jack, who's got dibbs on the knees:)

BlackCrowesChick
02-28-2006, 10:00 AM
Steve Martin
Conan O'Brien
Robin Williams

OneTeam OneDream
02-28-2006, 11:32 AM
Individually there is Richard Pryor......then everyone else.

Duo- Dean and Jerry (For those clueless, Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis)

oswann
02-28-2006, 01:01 PM
George W. Bush.

Os.

Optimus
02-28-2006, 01:40 PM
Past:
Richard Pryor (HOW CAN YOU NOT HAVE HIM ON YOUR LIST?!),
Eddie Murphy in the 80s,
Andy Kaufman,
George Carlin (heh...I did a presentation in a Communications Law class on his "7 words you can't say").

Current:
Chris Rock,
Dave Chapelle,
Dane Cook
Stephen Lynch (more of a comedy singer/songwriter)

oswann
02-28-2006, 01:44 PM
Okay, I'll be serious.

Ronald Reagan.

Os.

stace001
02-28-2006, 03:00 PM
I see others have included Robin Williams, but what about Billy Connolly????

trumancoyote
02-28-2006, 09:52 PM
You're 6'3, you freakin' liar:)

Lantern Jack, who's got dibbs on the knees:)

Hey, 6'3 but scrawny! That still counts as little!

PattiTheWicked
02-28-2006, 10:47 PM
Denis Leary.

There are few moments that compare to barrelling down a highway singing "I'm an A$$hole" at the top of your lungs.

WerenCole
03-01-2006, 12:08 AM
Andy Kaufman
Belushi
Mike Myers
Robin Williams (while on drugs)

The SNL crew composed of Akroyd and the gang.

The SNL crew composed of Mike Myers and the gang.

Me

William Haskins
03-01-2006, 12:11 AM
glad izzard's got a couple of mentions.

but, jumpin' jesus... no david cross?

aka eraser
03-01-2006, 12:31 AM
Standup: Richard Pryor, Steven Wright, Bob Newhart, Woody Allen, Norm Crosby (his fracturing of the language cracked me up) and George Burns.

Sketch comedy: John Candy, Eugene Levy, Catherine O'Hara, Andrea Martin, Joe Flaherty, Dave Thomas, Rick Moranis, Harold Ramis, Martin Short (yeah, the whole SCTV gang), Monty Python, the early SNL folks, the Kids In The Hall and Carol Burnett's crew.

Quipsters/Commentators: Jon Stewart, Stephen Colbert (he kills me), Dick Cavett and Dave Letterman.

Comic Actors: Peter Sellers, Zero Mostel, Candy, Allen, Newhart, Levy, O'Hara, Jim Carrey, Christopher Guest, Phil Silvers, Jackie Gleason.

poetinahat
03-01-2006, 02:25 AM
I cast a negative vote for Jim Carrey. I'll never forgive his "Stupid white guy" role on In Living Color, and he's never made me laugh.

Ben Stiller is right there with him. Stand on that 'X', guys, while I pull this lever.

rich
03-01-2006, 02:52 AM
Robin Williams. And if he had decided to continue sandup, Woody Allen.

Rane
03-01-2006, 04:45 AM
Chris Farley -still my favorite :)

Optimus
03-01-2006, 05:16 AM
I cast a negative vote for Jim Carrey. I'll never forgive his "Stupid white guy" role on In Living Color, and he's never made me laugh.

Ben Stiller is right there with him. Stand on that 'X', guys, while I pull this lever.

Carrey was actually a really good standup before/during In Living Color. Good mix of jokes and physical comedy. His joke about being in bed with two chicks and it's always the ugly one who rolls over and whispers, "Save it for me" always made me laugh.

ChunkyC
03-01-2006, 05:47 AM
I had to pick 'other' because there are so many who slay me. For standup routines: Robin Williams, Jim Carrey (and he probably didn't write half of what he did on In Living Color) and Mike MacDonald (http://www.corporateentertainers.ca/mikemacdonald.htm#), a Canadian comedian who never managed to break big.

Love Bob Newhart.

Can't stand Chris Rock. He's like fingernails on a chalkboard to me.

Love Joe Piscopo (http://www.joepiscopo.com/audio_video.html). He and Eddy Murphy on SNL doing Sinatra and Stevie Wonder... omg, pissed myself laughing.

Carol Burnett, pure genius.

Rita Rudner, so funny she appears to have two official sites; here (http://www.ritafunny.com/) and here (http://www.rita-rudner.com/).

Serenity
03-01-2006, 06:20 AM
I went for the 'other' too. I like most of the names on the list (but Orlando Bloom? Sorry, don't get that one... I mean, I think he's cute, but a comedian? Then again, that's my humble opinion.) but my favorite comedian is Gallagher. One, he looks almost exactly like my Dad. So a form of nepotism is involved, I suppose, but I love his brand of humor. Not so much the sledge-o-matic- even though I do find it funny- but his 'thinking' humor. I remember reading a thread on here somewhere about his bit on how we spell our words and how they sound.

A close second would be Steve Martin in his stand-up days. Happy Feet and King Tut had me rolling when I was a kid.

Jeneral
03-01-2006, 08:13 AM
Far too many favorites to pick just one. Patti, I'm right there with you on the Denis Leary love. I saw him live when I was in college and it was an unforgettable night.

I was raised on a diet of Bill Cosby and the Smothers Brothers, and I love Robin Williams and Monty Python.

But I voted for Orlando Bloom. 'Cause he's pretty.

AdamH
03-01-2006, 08:22 AM
(but Orlando Bloom? Sorry, don't get that one... I mean, I think he's cute, but a comedian? Then again, that's my humble opinion.)

And...that's pretty much the reason I put him in. Plus, there was a rule awhile back that all polls should include at least one Orlando Bloom choice to appease the masses. Forget how it started exactly. :)

Jeneral
03-01-2006, 08:29 AM
Hey, it appeased me. :)

Lantern Jack
03-01-2006, 09:01 AM
Hey, 6'3 but scrawny! That still counts as little!

Uh, no, beanpole. 4'10 + 105, that's little:)

P.S. Did you know my middle name, "Paul," is Roman for "little"? So double there, suckah dog:)

P.P.S. Hugs 'n' lovin'.

BlackCrowesChick
03-01-2006, 09:20 AM
John Candy & Chris Farley are two of my favorites, I just didn't write them down earlier because I thought we had to pick stand-up. Since they were both just actors I didn't think that would count for this, but since I've seen others pick them, I've got to give my props to them.

Everytime I hear Lover Boy's Workin' For the Weekend, I think of that Chris Farley skit on SNL when he dances to it as he tries out to be a Chipendale's dancer. IMO, that was one of the show's funniest skits ever.

Serenity
03-03-2006, 06:14 PM
And...that's pretty much the reason I put him in. Plus, there was a rule awhile back that all polls should include at least one Orlando Bloom choice to appease the masses. Forget how it started exactly. :)

LOL... ok. Who am I to argue with the masses? They'll trample me.

But in the grand tradition of Monty Python I'll just.... "RUN AWAY!!!!!!!!" and hide behind the killer rabbit. :e2salute: