PDA

View Full Version : Bruises to fade

reddirtwriter
12-15-2013, 12:55 AM
How long would it take severe bruises to fade from black/purple to that yellow green coloration. These would be from an attack of three men on a single man.

King Neptune
12-15-2013, 02:31 AM
That's very variable. Some people heal much faster than other people.

reddirtwriter
12-15-2013, 02:38 AM
Would it be reasonable to say someone's bruises have changed to yellow in a week to 10 days?

blacbird
12-15-2013, 11:54 AM
Would it be reasonable to say someone's bruises have changed to yellow in a week to 10 days?

I'd venture just a little sooner, based on personal experience. Many years ago I tore up an ankle playing basketball, and that involved severe bruising and swelling due to broken blood vessels. It turned the most astonishing and entertaining mix of green-yellow after two or three days.

And took a month on crutches and a full damn year to heal completely, but that's another story.

caw

vagough
12-15-2013, 06:28 PM
As Neptune and Blacbird said, it depends on the severity of the bruises (deep vs. superficial), where the bruises are on the body (near bone or not), and on the individual him/herself. I had some pretty impressive bruising from a medical test in October -- the deepest purple I've ever seen! Those start turning to greenish-yellow around the edges within five days, and then were all faded yellow-tannish by 10-14 days (what was left of them, that is). (I kept notes, actually, since old bruises play a role in my WIP.)

You can google this and get photos, too, if you're interested.

Saanen
12-15-2013, 06:38 PM
To add to what others have said, I've noticed bruises take a little longer to heal for me as I get older.

Elaine Margarett
12-15-2013, 06:57 PM

It's possible. I was badly bitten by a dog on my upper arms. No skin tears, just deep muscle bruising. I was still yellow at the ten day mark. At the time I was in pretty good shape, very little body fat. I'm only 5'3 and probably weighed 112 pounds at the time. I would think a man with heavier muscles would recover quicker.

I also had two black eyes once (childhood bicycle accident). I had a huge goose egg on my forehead which caused my eyes to swell shut the next day as the blood drained. My black eyes probably lasted ten days. I was only eight at the time and was quite the sight. My third grade teacher had to prepare my classmates before I returned to school, lol.

maryland
12-15-2013, 07:20 PM
Depends on the skin and the health of the victim. I am plump with greasy skin and quite healthy. I was strangled by a mad boyfriend to near-unconsciousness and there was NO trace, no bruising at all round the neck. No one believed me.
But another time, I fell against a wall going up a fire escape and had a shocking, almost blue-black arm, for over a week.
So there is much leeway for your story.

King Neptune
12-15-2013, 07:37 PM

Sure, but it might be better not to be any more specific than absolutely necessary. That is, you could mention that the bruises were showing signs of healing, rather than stating any color.

CoolBlue
12-15-2013, 09:44 PM
As has been said, this can be immensely variable.

Another factor is GRAVITY.

So, bruises about the neck might not show, as was mentioned, because the blood might track down, into the chest, where is is not seen. And a bruise around the ankle might last longer. Or, an injury just below the knee might show bruising just above the ankle.

So, as long as you remain plausible, can have pretty much what you please.

What would be plausible? For that you would have to postulate a specific scenario. Much more specific than you posted. How the injuries occurred (type, force used, age of victim, that sort of thing.)

If you want to, feel free to ask specifics in this thread.

HTH
CB

reddirtwriter
12-16-2013, 03:43 AM
Sure, I can give more specifics. The bruises are on a 25 year old male, fit but not rippling muscles, 5' 10", and light complexion with dark hair. The cause of the bruises was an assault by three other men, some were punches to the torso while being held by the arms, others from kicks to the chest and stomach with a booted foot (cowboy boot) while the MC was on the ground.

He's recently recovered from broken ribs. I don't know if that would make a difference or not,

I think I'm safe to say the bruises are beginning to fade and leave it at that. But I'd like to be as accurate as possible.

Pyekett
12-16-2013, 07:13 AM
There used to be a lot of forensic interest in tracking bruise color progression, and you can still find some of the old charts online. This approach has really fallen out of favor, since the research doesn't support the timing charts.

As noted above, the real world effects are variable enough from situation to situation for you to assume a lot of bend for the story per need.

Added: Below is from a lit review specific to the pediatric population, but the findings are representative of the research as a whole.

http://adc.bmj.com/content/90/2/187.full

Although the Bariciak et al study showed a significant association between red/blue/purple colour and recent bruising and yellow/brown and green with older bruising, both this study and Stephenson and Bialas reported that any colour could be present in fresh, intermediate, and old bruises. ... The accuracy with which clinicians correctly aged a bruise to within 24 hours of its occurrence was less than 40%. The accuracy with which they could identify fresh, intermediate, or old bruises was 55–63%. Intra- and inter-observer reliability was poor.

I edited out some of the above because I wasn't sure how much would still be considered fair use. There is a specific section on progression through yellowing--or rather, the variability thereof--that is pertinent to the OP.

CoolBlue
12-17-2013, 08:53 AM
Sure, I can give more specifics. The bruises are on a 25 year old male, fit but not rippling muscles, 5' 10", and light complexion with dark hair. The cause of the bruises was an assault by three other men, some were punches to the torso while being held by the arms, others from kicks to the chest and stomach with a booted foot (cowboy boot) while the MC was on the ground.

He's recently recovered from broken ribs. I don't know if that would make a difference or not,

I think I'm safe to say the bruises are beginning to fade and leave it at that. But I'd like to be as accurate as possible.

From the information you have given:

The punches will likely leave larger, less well-demarcated bruising. The boot tip will leave more defined bruises, depending on the type of boot tip. More pointed cowboy boot likely more defined. What was struck is also important. The chest wall stops the movement more rapidly, often giving more visible bruises, versus the abdominal wall which has more give.

You did not indicate a timeline. Think along the lines of red/purple > blue > green > yellow. Not reliable, as has been stated, but useful. Depending on when the ribs were fractured, you may have older bruising overlying that fracture.

Bruising will also show patterning from, say, a coarse fabric or some-such between the fist/boot and skin.

HTH
CB