PDA

View Full Version : Joining Sports team mid-year.

ZachJPayne
12-14-2013, 10:08 AM
Hi!

My protag changes schools at the winter break. At her old school, she was in JV cheer, but at the new school, the adviser refuses to let her on the time, citing that it's the middle of the year, and encourages her to try out for next year.

Is that feasible, or do most teams readily accept new members mid season/year? Is it on a per teacher/adviser basis, or is it a pretty standard yes or no?

I know it might sound silly or inconsequential, I just want to make sure my choice doesn't ring inauthentic, as it's a pretty big part of the story's crux. My knowledge of cheerleading is limited to WWSSD (What would Sue Sylvester (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sue_Sylvester) do), so I thought I'd ask.

Thank you!

ElaineA
12-14-2013, 08:04 PM
I would say it depends on if the team is open or a cut team. JV cheer is a try-out team, so the school couldn't just let someone new on the squad. On the other side, for example, wrestling might be an open team. If you came to school in the middle of the season you could join, although you'd have to win a spot as a "starter" (if you beat the varsity 135 lb wrestler in wrestle-offs, you'd be the new varsity).

Kitty Pryde
12-14-2013, 11:58 PM
i was just asking a school coach about this, and he said he wouldn't take new kids on midseason because it's bad for team cohesion. The only exceptions I could think of would be a team that is so small it can't really play (like 5 kids on a basketball team) and desperately needs more players, or a kid who is the local star athlete and the coach is dying to get her on the team, and happy to bend the rules for it.