PDA

View Full Version : I started a lit mag. Now what?

gettingby
12-14-2013, 06:09 AM
I have been away for a bit, but I'm hoping some of you may be able to offer your wisdom as always. I started a lit mag. It has been a lot of work, but I'm pretty proud of it. Now, how do I get word out about it? We are print and come out twice a year. We have a website and a facebook page about 200 likes. The local newspaper is running a small Q &A they did with me, and a lit blog is writing a review. What else should I be doing to get the word out? Have any of you started magazines and have advice for a newbie? Thanks.

Siri Kirpal
12-14-2013, 07:44 AM
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Congrats! May it do well!

Have you considered posting in the promotion section of this forum?

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Liosse de Velishaf
12-14-2013, 08:12 AM
You seem to have already done quite a bit...

Is your zine listed on duotrope? In my experience, that gets a lot of word out on its own.

You might try posting a link to your website or Facebook page (or both) in your signature here, as well. The same thing goes for any other writing communities you might be part of who allow for such things.

Mutive
12-14-2013, 08:43 AM
I agree with Duotrope. Also, any other "looking for submissions" sites are helpful. (Ralan comes to mind, except that's speculative. Still, there's probably some equivalent for lit. fic.)

Beyond that, a lot comes just from existing for a period of time. In general, it's far more fun to read/write for something you feel is permanent than something that feels like it's here this month but will be gone the next. A year from now, if you're still around (and publishing quality fiction), you'll likely have more attention. In ten years, more still!

Liosse de Velishaf
12-14-2013, 08:59 AM
I agree with Duotrope. Also, any other "looking for submissions" sites are helpful. (Ralan comes to mind, except that's speculative. Still, there's probably some equivalent for lit. fic.)

Beyond that, a lot comes just from existing for a period of time. In general, it's far more fun to read/write for something you feel is permanent than something that feels like it's here this month but will be gone the next. A year from now, if you're still around (and publishing quality fiction), you'll likely have more attention. In ten years, more still!

Word of mouth is a big factor, and surprisingly from the folks you publish as well as those that read your zine. Word gets around in writer circles about classy and professional markets.

Pushingfordream
12-14-2013, 09:15 AM
I have been away for a bit, but I'm hoping some of you may be able to offer your wisdom as always. I started a lit mag. It has been a lot of work, but I'm pretty proud of it. Now, how do I get word out about it? We are print and come out twice a year. We have a website and a facebook page about 200 likes. The local newspaper is running a small Q &A they did with me, and a lit blog is writing a review. What else should I be doing to get the word out? Have any of you started magazines and have advice for a newbie? Thanks.

What's the link to the magazine?

mccardey
12-14-2013, 09:40 AM
What's the link to the magazine?

+1

gettingby
12-14-2013, 10:18 AM
Pushingfordream and mccardey -- I sent both of you messages.

gettingby
12-14-2013, 11:12 PM
Anyone who wants to see the website can message me for the address. But we are a print mag not a zine so you can't really read the stories. We are planning to put a few on our website as a teaser. Thanks for your interest.

Williebee
12-14-2013, 11:47 PM
Anyone who wants to see the website can message me for the address.

You could put the URL in your signature.

Fruitbat
12-15-2013, 01:45 AM
If you like to "keep your circles separate" and don't want to list it here, I understand. However, I get a lot of hits from here just on my personal writer site, so it's something to consider. If you're wanting to avoid the ickiness of rejecting people you know, you can just add a note on your site that if one of the editors knows a submitter online or personally, that editor does not weigh in on or even read that story.

I'd put it on duotrope (and sub-grinder, I guess, although I'm not very familiar with them), definitely. It won't grow much if no one knows about it. And, you want a lot of stories to choose from so you end up with a high quality product. Also, with the litmags, your writers are a large percentage of your readers as well.

A great way to get a ton of stories to choose from and more publicity even if you can't pay is to reply very quickly to submissions, preferably the same day. After you're on duotrope for six months, your stats will qualify for their "top 25" lists. Fast response is one of the top things submitters look for. Also, allowing simultaneous submissions.

At first, you might want to consider having it "open until filled" rather than using set dates. That way you're not pressured to accept stories that aren't up to par.

On duotrope, if you tell them you're "closed," your stats counting stops until you open again, so you can take breaks from reading and answering so quickly yet still remain on the top 25 fastest responders list).

Good luck!

Buffysquirrel
12-15-2013, 10:57 PM
Going by my own experience of editing for genre mags, which aren't exactly the same thing, I admit, but still....

Finding writers is easy. Finding readers is hard.

I'd suggest doing ad swaps with other lit mags--we'll run an ad for your mag in ours if you'll run an ad for our mag in yours. Get copies of your magazine in libraries. Go to where readers of litfic hang out and post on their boards with a reference to your magazine in your signature.

James D. Macdonald
12-16-2013, 12:21 AM
To find writers, first find readers.

MookyMcD
12-16-2013, 12:31 AM
To fund writers, first find readers. :)

Pushingfordream
12-16-2013, 12:36 AM
To fund writers, first find readers. :)

Tons of people may submit to you, but that doesn't matter if no one will read magazine. Establish a reader database, maybe by promoting the magazine to your friends first.

gettingby
12-17-2013, 02:49 AM
Thanks, guys. I got the magazine on duotrope now, but what I'm really looking to do is attract readers. I think our first issue is really strong. Just got to get it in the hands of readers. I have told everyone I know about it. Hopefully, they go on and tell people. And a big thank you to the people who messaged me about it and then subscribed. You guys are awesome!

gettingby
12-20-2013, 06:51 AM
For those of you who have published books, how did you get people to buy copies? I imagine the process is similar to getting people to buy copies of a new lit journal. Also, does anyone know of a site like AW but for lit journal and magazine editors?