Well, I Just Signed The Contract...

Status
Not open for further replies.

David McAfee

God of Squirrels
Registered
Reaction score
...I guess that makes it official.

My self published novel, 33 A.D., (along with the sequel, 61 A.D.) has just been optioned for film by Winkler Films in Hollywood, CA.

This has been a hectic month. Winkler contacted me just before Halloween to ask about the rights. 3 days later he made an offer. The next day I had a film/literary agent. Then the negotiations began. All in all, I'm very pleased with the deal and super excited about the possibilities for the future.

This comes after three years of self publishing and trying to get the attention of someone in the NYC publishing scene. 33 A.D. sold almost 50,000 copies (mostly e-book) but I still couldn't get a publisher interested. Then someone at Winkler Films got their hands on it and liked it enough to want to option the film rights.

Craziness!

Anyway, I've been sitting on this news for weeks, but I figure it's OK to talk about it now that the contracts are signed. I'll be making the official announcement on my blog next week but I wanted to come to AW first because this is the place where I got almost all of my early writing advice, even if I haven't been in here much lately.

Tonight, my wife and I will probably go out to dinner to celebrate. :)

Pushingfordream

Writing about life!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.danielwallock.com
...I guess that makes it official.

My self published novel, 33 A.D., (along with the sequel, 61 A.D.) has just been optioned for film by Winkler Films in Hollywood, CA.

This has been a hectic month. Winkler contacted me just before Halloween to ask about the rights. 3 days later he made an offer. The next day I had a film/literary agent. Then the negotiations began. All in all, I'm very pleased with the deal and super excited about the possibilities for the future.

This comes after three years of self publishing and trying to get the attention of someone in the NYC publishing scene. 33 A.D. sold almost 50,000 copies (mostly e-book) but I still couldn't get a publisher interested. Then someone at Winkler Films got their hands on it and liked it enough to want to option the film rights.

Craziness!

Anyway, I've been sitting on this news for weeks, but I figure it's OK to talk about it now that the contracts are signed. I'll be making the official announcement on my blog next week but I wanted to come to AW first because this is the place where I got almost all of my early writing advice, even if I haven't been in here much lately.

Tonight, my wife and I will probably go out to dinner to celebrate. :)

This is absolutely Amazing! CONGRATS!

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
David, that's outstanding news. I've been watching 33 AD ever since it conception (actually before) and knew deep down it was different--unique and would really stand out. I know what you mean about NYC asleep at the wheel and not even flinching with a great project that's had fantastic sales. I've been stymied myself. Yet this is a nice feather in your cap and have every reason to celebrate.

cheers,

chris

David McAfee

God of Squirrels
Registered
Reaction score
David, that's outstanding news. I've been watching 33 AD ever since it conception (actually before) and knew deep down it was different--unique and would really stand out. I know what you mean about NYC asleep at the wheel and not even flinching with a great project that's had fantastic sales. I've been stymied myself. Yet this is a nice feather in your cap and have every reason to celebrate.

cheers,

chris

Thanks Chris. I remember back in 2007 or so when I emailed you the premise. :) Seems like a long time ago.

WriterTrek

Boldy Writing
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats! Looked up your book on Amazon and it sounded unique, so I'm not surprised it grabbed someones attention.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats, David.:hooray:

I'm grateful you came back here to break the news first. Love it when one of the Hounds makes good.

L. Y.

Thread surfer and virtual bartender
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations! :)

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
CGs both on the excellent e-book sales and the film contract! Here's to cinematic triumphs ahead.

benluby

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Wow. Congrats. Even better that it is self-pubbed. The only person with any bragging rights on this one is you!!

wampuscat

Recovering adjective addict
Registered
Reaction score
Fantastic news! Congratulations both on the film rights and the book's success.

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
I remember when you revealed your cover here and I thought it was awesome then. So freakin' amazing!!! Congrats buddy!!!

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations, David! What great news!

OctoberLee

Destroying something beautiful
Registered
Reaction score
WOW!!! How extremely exciting. Congratulations!

Status
Not open for further replies.