For you geo-cachers out there: a question...

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
I know that those little plastic film canisters are sometimes used to hold the logs.

Does paper hold up pretty well in them? I mean how crisp would it look after say three years?

Christabelle

Registered
Reaction score
They're pretty rumpled, especially if they're in a high-traffic area for cachers. I haven't see one get all soggy in a film canister, but changes in heat and humidity still change the paper's crispness. They're readable/writeable but not pristine after a few years. :)

melindamusil

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
If the canister is still sealed, you'll find that the paper will be in virtually the same condition as when it was first put into the canister. It might be a tiny bit more brittle, due to the heat, but it will still be quite legible and usable.

Now of course, there are plenty of factors that could cause the canister to break/fall, and if the canister has been opened, the paper will be destroyed (if it's even still with the canister).

Where are you placing the canister? With the smaller caches like that, you have to consider the possibility that small animals (squirrels, raccoons, opossums) might take off with it.

Viridian

local good boy
Registered
Reaction score
What Melindamusil said. The few I found were generally a little, well, old-paperish. A touch crisp, noticeably different from new paper, but not brittle or thin or breakable. The top sheets were generally rumpled and those near the middle seemed almost like new.

Some had waterstains on the edges. One was badly stained and illedgible, but the rest were fine.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
It's wedged in a small niche under the end of a little used wooden dock. The canister wouldn't have been opened.

So, if it was snug and hadn't been opened in three years, the paper would be essentially fine, but just a little crispy from the temperature changes?

PorterStarrByrd

nutruring tomorrows criminals today
Registered
Reaction score
Tightly closed, with no 'new' air introduced, it would be about the same as if you opened it ten minutes later. It is the frequent air exchange that would do more damage than time does.

Maxx B

Registered
Reaction score
I live in quite a wet part of the UK, logs don't do well in film canisters. Some put the logs in plastic bags inside the canister, with varying degrees of success.