injuries resulting from a severe beating

dascmom

Registered
Reaction score
I have not written the scene yet, but I am having a forty-year-old male, in good physical condition, severely beaten by several men in a random act of violence. I can write the scene to meet the injuries I decide he will incur, but I wondered if anyone with medical knowledge or personal experience could name some likely injuries that a man of that age might receive if he was beaten very severely. I will do further research on any of the injuries that are suggested.

Thanks for the help on a difficult topic!

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
And how long do they work him over?

If it is a severe beating, then death is one possible result. There are many variables. If some clowns were just throwing random punches for a minute, then there might be little, or no, injury. If two guys with baseball bats alternated blows to his head, then he wouldn't last a minute, unless he had a good, hard head.

dascmom

Registered
Reaction score
I haven't written the scene, but I want it to be a severe beating, as the rest of the novels is about the role reversal of the two main characters in terms of care taking. Not a baseball bat. Just fists, kicking, no real weapons. They beat him until he is unconscious. They have as long as they want to do this- so say a ten fifteen minute time period. The leave him for dead and he remains outside in the cold for a while before he is found.

Does that help? I guess I'm looking for the type of injuries sustained through kicking, hitting, inching, knocking over...that type of thing.

Thanks!

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Yeah that does help. One blow from a fist will most likely cause less damage than one blow from a concrete paving slab.

I would imagine JCD would be a good person to answer this as he's seen more injuries than most.

A.P.M.

Registered
Reaction score
A concussion if they kicked him in the head/knocked him to the ground really hard. Broken nose if they didn't limit their blows to his body. Almost certainly broken ribs, possibly punctured lung. Internal bleeding/bruising to certain organs. Lots and lots of bruising.

dascmom

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks APA. Very helpful.

Which organs would likely be bruised/bleeding?

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
You could include all the injuries that you want. Ten or fifteen minutes is a long time for several men to beat on one man, but it also depends on the build of the one being beaten and the skill and strength of the beaters. Any or all bones could be broken, fractured skull, teeth broken out, damaged kidneys, and so on.

A.P.M.

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks APA. Very helpful.

Which organs would likely be bruised/bleeding?

Kidneys would definitely be hit (a strong punch can damage them and is also intensely painful) and lungs could be punctured by broken ribs. Spleen and pancreas can be damaged. I've heard of liver bruising from trauma, but that was from being kicked by a horse.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
The straightforward answer is "just about anything you need to make your story work". People have been killed from a single punch (see the recent stories about the "knockout game"). Injuries, especially to the head, can result in permanent disability. And, as has been mentioned, even ten minutes is a very long time for a beating to continue. A person beaten viciously by multiple assailants for that long is probably dead before the beating stops.

caw

CoolBlue

I'm not a child! Give back my toy!
Registered
Reaction score
a forty-year-old male, in good physical condition, severely beaten by several men in a random act of violence. I can write the scene to meet the injuries I decide he will incur, but I wondered if anyone with medical knowledge or personal experience could name some likely injuries that a man of that age might receive if he was beaten very severely. I will do further research on any of the injuries that are suggested.
I haven't written the scene, but I want it to be a severe beating, as the rest of the novels is about the role reversal of the two main characters in terms of care taking. Not a baseball bat. Just fists, kicking, no real weapons. They beat him until he is unconscious. They have as long as they want to do this- so say a ten fifteen minute time period. The leave him for dead and he remains outside in the cold for a while before he is found.

Does that help? I guess I'm looking for the type of injuries sustained through kicking, hitting, inching, knocking over...that type of thing.

Thanks!

Here are some pointers:

1. Before he goes down:
  • Lacerations from blows - eyebrow, lip, ear
  • Fractures to nose, jaw, his hands from protecting himself
  • Broken/Loose teeth
  • Severely swollen eye/s
  • "Whiplash" to neck

2. After he goes down:
  • Fractures to: Skull, ribs, clavicle, limb bones
  • Concussion/coma, intracranial hemorrhage
  • Chest injuries: Pneumo and/or Hemothorax
  • Ruptured liver, spleen, bowel, bladder. Internal hemorrhage from the first two.
  • Eye injuries
  • Urethral injuries

3. Immediate issues after being left for dead in the cold:
  • Frostbite - if cold enough
  • Hypothermia - even if it isn't too cold outside
  • Shock from hemorrhage
  • Hypoxic injury to brain, other organs
  • Renal failure from shock, also rhabdomyolysis - this could be a big one in your scenario

4. Later, and much later:
  • Aquired brain injury
  • Loss of function from the brain injury ETA: Such as motor paralysis of a limb
  • Renal failure
  • Chronic pain
  • Surgery: Laparotomy for hemorrhage, craniotomy for hemorrhage, orthopedic surgery
  • Later surgery, for example to close a colostomy, to deal with adhesions from the first abdominal surgeries.
  • Sense loss: Vision, hearing, smell
  • Disfigurement from facial injuries: Loss of eye, crooked nose, loss of teeth, cauliflower ear, scars from lacerations
  • Psychological issues: A big issue that would need its own topic

Hopefully, that will give you a few to work on. ;)

HTH
CB

Last edited:

jclarkdawe

Feeling lucky, Query?
Registered
Reaction score
Random acts of violence are rarely that random. It impacts the beating style slightly if you have an identity for the randomness.

Beatings rarely last more then a minute or two. They use considerable energy for the hitters and you don't need more then that. If they have ten or fifteen minutes, do they want to use it and make this more deliberate?

Classic position to impose maximum punishment is two people hold the arms of the victim and two hitting. You hold the victim even after the victim becomes unconscious. However, most beatings result in the victim collapsing quickly to the ground. This results in markedly different injury patterns and I don't know which you want.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
After a little more thought, ten or fifteen minutes is unbelievably long for a group of men to beat one man. Even if they took turns, they'd all be exhausted, and, if they were using only fists, their hands would be in great pain. If it is a trutly random act, then cut it to two three minutes, and have them be drunk. Otherwise someone would have had to pay them quite a bit. If you want the guy beaten almost to death, then it would have been a random act.

Russell Secord

nearly perfect
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't written the scene, but I want it to be a severe beating ... fists, kicking, no real weapons. They beat him until he is unconscious.

If it were me writing the story, I'd put aside the issues of exposure, hemorrhage, and lacerations. Not because they don't matter or don't happen but because they'd clear up quickly.

You want some of the injuries to linger. I'd go with broken ribs and a punctured lung.

If you wanted to get really nasty, the attackers could use fire. Burns take a long time to heal and leave ugly scars.

Another complication is infection... darn, I'm creeping myself out.

CoolBlue

I'm not a child! Give back my toy!
Registered
Reaction score
If it were me writing the story, I'd put aside the issues of exposure, hemorrhage, and lacerations. Not because they don't matter or don't happen but because they'd clear up quickly.

You want some of the injuries to linger. I'd go with broken ribs and a punctured lung.

If you wanted to get really nasty, the attackers could use fire. Burns take a long time to heal and leave ugly scars.

Another complication is infection... darn, I'm creeping myself out.

I hope this does not sound combative, Russell, as it is not meant to be.

Exposure, hemorrhage and lacerations can indeed leave lasting debility. If there is significant rhabdomyolysis after the beating, the exposure may mean chronic renal failure, even dialysis.

Hemorrhage, while easily corrected, can also have horrific consequences if not treated expeditiously. Lacerations can leave scars just as horrifying as burns.

Rib fractures are usually quite painful, and take about 6 weeks to heal fully, sometimes longer. A punctured lung, on the other hand, is usually fixed in a day or two with a tube that is placed in the chest, and then removed when the lung is expanded again. Sometimes, this does not happen, and needs to be fixed surgically, but this is relative uncommon.

I must agree though, serious burns are some of the most terrible injuries to deal with.

HTH
CB

dascmom

Registered
Reaction score
Wow. These answers are better and more complete than I ever imagined. Thank you so very much for the detail and the effort. I do not want the character to be permanently disfigured or to require a major surgery. I just want it to be bad, so that until the doctors fully assess his condition, his family is quite concerned about permanent damage, if not survival. I want him to need a good six weeks to recover, to be unable to work, to need to rely on other people, to have emotional trauma, as well. The beating must lead to this character needing to depend on others for a period of time.

I have a question about some thing jclarkdawe said. I want this to be considered random, as it is very important to the theme of the novel. However, can a gay bashing be considered random?

jclarkdawe

Feeling lucky, Query?
Registered
Reaction score
Gay bashing is random as to the individual selected, who may not even be gay but just appear to be to the assaulters, but it is not random and tends to have some distinct attributes of a sexual nature.

I'm going to assume a group of about three to four guys, fueled by some level of alcohol consumption. Most likely to happen between midnight and three AM. I'm also going to assume that it is unplanned, and the victim is randomly chosen as the assaulters stumble around after leaving a bar.

It will start out with the assaulters surrounding the victim, and taunting him. This is needed to both boost the assaulters anger and also for them to assess the victim's response. Remember the assaulters want to beat the snot out of someone, not get hurt themselves. This is when they find out what the potential for them being hurt is. This stage will last a minute or two. Victim response of trying to avoid trouble is what the assaulters are looking for.

Then the assaulters will start a game of pushing and bouncing. The idea is to push the victim into someone else, who pushes the victim into someone else and so on and so forth. This stage will last about thirty seconds to a minute before someone decides to bring this to the next level.

The next stage usually happens by someone bringing up a knee as the victim is bounced towards them, connecting the knee with the victim's groin. Massive and immediate pain. Victim will immediately collapse to the ground, curled up in the fetal position. Ruptured testes and injured bladder, especially if the bladder is full, are possible. Testicular torsion is also possible. Inability to father children can be a direct consequence. Surgery may be needed. At best, ice packs and more ice packs are in someone's future, and swelling may take a week or more to go down.

Victim is now on the ground, curled into a fetal position. This position is done both in response to the pain, and also for protection. Hands and arms will be supporting and protecting the head. Victim is now in survival mode.

Kicking commences, and it really depends upon the deliberateness of the kickers and the type of shoes they are wearing as to the injuries. At a minimum, massive bruising of the scalp, back, butt, arms, and lower legs. Possible injuries include skull fractures, spine injuries, broken arms and legs, and dislocated knees, elbows, and ankles.

More deliberate attacks will include stomping on the rib cage, as the victim lies on his side, causing broken ribs. If you're a thorough going bastard, you can easily break every rib on one side. Chance of lung puncture in that case is high.

This stage will last about a minute before the attackers energy is gone. At this point, the attackers might leave, or they might gild the lily. Additional attacks can consist of urinating on the victim, defecating on the victim, inserting something into the victim's anus, writing names on the victim, and picture taking. This stage can last about five to ten minutes.

With what you want for injuries, I'd go with massive bruising, broken lower arms (ulna and radius bones), lower leg (tibia and fibula bonds also known as a "tib-fib" fracture), ruptured testes, torn anus, and dislocated knees. For about 48 hours, patient will probably be touch and go from shock and hypothermia. Patient will probably be unconscious during this period.

After that, the patient has several major problems. Going to the bathroom, either way, is going to hurt. Dual breaks in his arms means he's not going to be able to do anything without physical assistance. Legs are going to mean a wheelchair and learning how to walk again.

Because of the fetal position he's most likely to assume, internal injuries will be minimized.

ETA -- Attackers are wearing construction type boots with steel toes. Attackers are blue collar workers.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

Last edited:

dascmom

Registered
Reaction score
Wow. I had no idea there were so many details to consider. Writing this section is going to take a lot of thought and it will be rather difficult to do, seeing as I am already very attached to my character.

I want to thank you all for your help.

Nivarion

Brony level >9000
Registered
Reaction score
I had an encounter with a random act of violence. Street punk looking for someone to beat. Started by cracking his skateboard over the back of my head.

I turned around and he punched me in the face twice really quick. One got me in the mouth and the other in the eye. I tried to run off but he jumped in front of me and punched me in the stomach, at which time I hit him in the nose with my violin case.

He kicked me in the stomach, I kicked him in the groin, we both went down, he spent the next minute kicking me in the ribs and I spent that time opening the back of his head with my elbow.

I locked his leg in with mine and was able to sit up a little under him to where I was pushing his face into the dirt and hitting him with my other hand. His mom showed up and pulled him off of me and threw him in her car. (left me lying on the road, and I was bleeding fairly well.)

I have a scar along the back of my head from the trucks or the edge of the skateboard and a large scar on the inside of my mouth. My eye doesn't focus when it's cold or if I've just woken up from sleeping face down. (goes back to normal after about a half hour)

I had a concussion and bruised ribs and abdomen.

I found out that I was the second of three people he assaulted that day. the other two were shorter, but he hadn't expected me to fight back, or to mess him up. I think I broke his nose, cause I was covered in his blood after. One was his girlfriend, the other was a guy in McDonalds.

His girlfriend miscarried, and the guy in the Mcdonalds tried to not fight back. He ended up hospitalized for a couple of days, though I never learned what his injuries were.