PDA

View Full Version : The Premiership

MysteriousFemme
12-06-2013, 03:50 AM
Who here watches it? Who is your favorite team? Who do you think is going to win?

waylander
12-06-2013, 01:48 PM
I follow Southampton.
It looks a more open contest this year than it has done for ages.

AVS
12-06-2013, 01:55 PM
It's certainly an interesting time. The world is changing, Manchester United are not the force they used to be. Some fear (others hope) they will go the way of Liverpool in the 1990s. Reasonably pleased to see Arsenal doing well, always had a lot of respect for Wenger, doing a lot with a little, certainly compared to Chelsea, Man Utd and Man City.

I was a weak supporter of Ferguson rather than Man Utd in the Premiership, mainly because I like to see the extraordinary flourish.

I do not have a dog in this fight, sadly my hometown team languishes in a division below the Premiership.

robeiae
12-07-2013, 06:54 AM
Arsenal is only going to get better as the season goes on, I think.

But damn, Suarez is beyond good form right now.

zerosystem
12-11-2013, 10:53 PM
Arsenal is only going to get better as the season goes on, I think.

But damn, Suarez is beyond good form right now.
Yeah, but between the racism and the biting, I can't appreciate anything that guy does.

I'll go with Man U all the way.

mirandashell
12-11-2013, 11:24 PM
I'm with you, Zero.

TBH, I used to be mad for the football but in the last few years I've become more and more disillusioned. It started with the World Cup in South Africa and that disgraceful outburst by Rooney and it just got worse since. So now I really don't care. I follow what my two favourite teams are doing but I have no passion for it any more.

robeiae
12-16-2013, 07:53 PM
Yeah, but between the racism and the biting, I can't appreciate anything that guy does.

I think he should have been kicked out of football, myself, at least for a couple of seasons. The ten-game suspension wasn't nearly enough.

That said, his play has been amazing since he returned. I'm not appreciating it so much as I am just noting it. Because if he keeps it up, Liverpool is gonna make a serious push for the top. Man City and Arsenal have their work cut out for them. They both need to keeping winning just to keep Liverpool at bay.

And speaking of those two, their game was a lot of fun to watch, even though I was pulling for Arsenal. However, I understand now that Aguero was injured and may be out for a month or more.

KellyAssauer
07-20-2014, 04:28 AM
I'm furious, and believe Brendon Rodgers has proven himself daft.
Liverpool sells Luis Suarez to Barcelona for 80mil.

They'll be rebuilding for another 24 years...

waylander
07-24-2014, 02:04 AM
I'm furious, and believe Brendon Rodgers has proven himself daft.
Liverpool sells Luis Suarez to Barcelona for 80mil.

They'll be rebuilding for another 24 years...

Mostly with players from Southampton it seems

KellyAssauer
07-24-2014, 03:13 PM
Liverpool 0, Roma 1 and the only goal came when a Liverpool player kicked the ball into his own goal...

If they survive relegation this season, I'll be shocked.

robeiae
07-25-2014, 03:21 AM
Mostly with players from Southampton it seems

True, that.

I think Liverpool will do okay. And remember, Saurez can't train with his team and will miss some games, regardless.

But I'm guessing he'll get through the season without biting anyone. The next season? We'll see how Barcelona deals with him when it happens again...

MarkEsq
07-27-2014, 11:24 PM
I thought it interesting Liverpool bought Rickie Lambert. He's a traditional English center forward, kind of like Andy Carroll who was dumped 'cos Rogers said he didn't fit the Liverpool style. Odd purchase.

waylander
07-27-2014, 11:59 PM
Lambert does much more than Carroll. His hold-up play is excellent, he is a very intelligent passer of the ball, plus he stays fit longer than Carroll.

4burner
08-04-2014, 05:19 AM
<- Huge LFC fan.

Selling Suarez was the right thing to do. He's pretty great, but his form tapered at the end of the season, and defenders were starting to get wise to him. We can survive without him, and will certainly enjoy the lack of negative press he brings. With Lazar, Sturridge, Coutinho, Sterling, Lallana... I'm not overly worried, plus there's probably another striker to come in.

Rickie Lambert was not purchased for the first 11. He's there to throw on when we need to shake things up in the 60th minute, or to provide squad cover for the cup games since we are taking part in 4 contests this year. I think it's actually a pretty smart buy, when you think about the role he will play. Cheap, too.

CoffeeBeans
08-06-2014, 01:58 PM
Man City fan. :Trophy: (I will duck all thrown objects now... ;) ) Got seats for my fam when they played LFC at Yankee Stadium. I really could have lived with the draw.

Then again, my brother seemed more interested in the concessions, so I suppose there's that.

I can't believe the season is almost back around again...

nkkingston
08-10-2014, 04:36 PM
Another Saints fan. Or, as I like to think of it now, another fan of the Premier League's favourite superstore. At least we haven't done quite as badly as Blackpool, who started the Championship season with 9 players yesterday morning, and had to scramble to make up a whole team for their first game of the season!

waylander
08-10-2014, 04:48 PM
Another Saints fan. Or, as I like to think of it now, another fan of the Premier League's favourite superstore. At least we haven't done quite as badly as Blackpool, who started the Championship season with 9 players yesterday morning, and had to scramble to make up a whole team for their first game of the season!

I think we'll be OK. I'm reasonably happy with the new players so far and I know there are several more to come. We may not finish as high as 8th, but there will be 3 worse teams than us come May 2015.

robeiae
08-16-2014, 10:32 PM
Interesting opening day. ManU picked up right where they left off last year: giving away points at home. Leicester City got a great result against Everton, picking up a point with upcoming games against Chelsea and Arsenal.

I think it will be a three horse race for a while: Chelsea, Man City, and Arsenal. But I predict a steady climb from Man U as the season wears on, to the point that they are in the hunt for Champions League at least by the end.

nkkingston
08-17-2014, 02:38 PM
I did terribly in the fantasy football; I don't think anyone was really playing their first team, which is as much a knock on effect of the World Cup as the manic transfer market.

Is anyone else on here in the official fantasy football (not the Sun or Guardian etc)? We could have an AW league! :)

4burner
08-18-2014, 07:33 AM
The game on the premier league site? I am certainly a part of that. And I just made us a league.

2227521-593352 is the join code. AW Fantasy League, step right up...

And anyway, decent start by Liverpool, manic defending at times with goals to the SAS - all as before, it seems. And Man U losing just made my day.

It's good to have football back.

waylander
08-18-2014, 03:09 PM
Reasonably happy with Southampton's performance at Anfield. Created some good chances and weren't embarassed. Tadic looks very handy.

KellyAssauer
08-19-2014, 08:12 PM
I didn't expect ManU's loss, but I found it easier to understand than Sunderland's tie. Other than those two, all the season openers went as I thought they might.

nkkingston
08-19-2014, 09:23 PM
I kinda did expect ManU's loss, or at least a draw from them; it's going to be a tough climb back up from last season and psychologically that journey wasn't going to start on day one.

Since the AW league is still only two of us, it's on http://fantasy.premierleague.com/ If you set up an account now you won't be far behind. I had a terrible first week! Fingers crossed for this week :)

robeiae
08-20-2014, 04:29 AM
I kinda did expect ManU's loss, or at least a draw from them; it's going to be a tough climb back up from last season and psychologically that journey wasn't going to start on day one.

Since the AW league is still only two of us, it's on http://fantasy.premierleague.com/ If you set up an account now you won't be far behind. I had a terrible first week! Fingers crossed for this week :)

Okay, I joined. Looks like fun. :)

CoffeeBeans
08-20-2014, 06:55 PM
I didn't expect ManU's loss, but I found it easier to understand than Sunderland's tie. Other than those two, all the season openers went as I thought they might.

We were watching along at work. Someone called it "shocking" but that seemed so silly. They had a bad year, and now have Van Gaal, and on. I have no interest in seeing ManU greatly improved, but I'm sure they will be a much better looking team in a few weeks.

At 1-0 late, I was really waiting for City to give up something silly to Newcastle toward the end. I'm glad to be wrong about that one.

Have fun fantasy players!

4burner
08-21-2014, 04:32 AM
Welcome welcome!

I'm already ready to tear up my team and go again. Try and shoehorn Ramsey and Tadic in but I don't want to lose Hazard or Toure or Sterling...

Should've had Ramsey from the off. But I'll resist all changes this week and see what happens.

KellyAssauer
08-22-2014, 07:19 AM

Okay.

What's the deal with this idiotic site?

I registered, but I have no clue what to do. It just takes me for loops. Insanely frustrating.

4burner
08-22-2014, 08:18 AM
Where are you getting stuck?

KellyAssauer
08-22-2014, 12:13 PM
The 'squad selection' page never appeared last night.
It just left me going in circles.

4burner
08-22-2014, 01:48 PM
So you haven't been able to make your team or anything?

When you go into your account settings (my account, top right) and hit Visit fantasy premier league, where does that take you?

KellyAssauer
08-22-2014, 02:51 PM
I just now have the 'How to pick your squad' screen.
It wasn't there last night.

Apparently I have a team now.

Okay. I think I got it. =)

4burner
08-25-2014, 05:07 AM
OK good! Welcome welcome.

2-2 Everton and Arsenal was unexpected. I've realised I have most of my points hopefuls facing off against each other tonight. If Dzeko scores I lose my clean sheet bonus on Lovren, so if Dzeko get's a goal, hopefully he'll pop up with a header to balance me out.

And I'm really regretting not having Aaron Ramsey. Yet.

Anyway should be a good game tonight.

KellyAssauer
08-25-2014, 06:09 AM
LOL, I'm waiting for that games as well, and I'm just thrilled to see Tot on top of the boards for however long that lasts! =)

KellyAssauer
08-27-2014, 11:04 AM
*tries to trade fantasy team for MK Dons...*

4burner
08-29-2014, 07:44 AM
Holy hell, MK Dons. That's just, a whole new level of terribad. Well done, Man U.

So, game week 3 and I've caved and played my wildcard and made 6 changes. My midfield is now impossibly frightening. Sturridge, Hazard, Toure, Fabregas, Ramsey. I think I can expect a performance from at least one of them every week.

LFC V Spurs, Kelly. I'm not your friend this weekend. Well, I say that, I'd be totally curtius and whatnot of course, but you understand the sentiment.

And I just picked Rose for one my backs, dammit man...

KellyAssauer
08-29-2014, 01:39 PM
LFC V Spurs, Kelly. I'm not your friend this weekend. Well, I say that, I'd be totally curtius and whatnot of course, but you understand the sentiment.

I don't like it when these two have to play each other because I want them both to win, or at least not loose.... best I can do here is a draw and no one gets hurt. =)

4burner
09-04-2014, 07:31 AM
Well. I see your bipartisanmanship and raise you one 3-0 victory. I can't say I'm going to complain.

And international weekend occurring in what should be the third week of the season is ridiculous. Just gives you a taste of what's to come and then BAM. Wait for it.

Anyway Sterling is looking amazing this season. I didn't rate him at the start of last season but in BR we trust, and just wow. And he's what, 19? Ridic.

robeiae
09-13-2014, 08:39 PM
So. The way this fantasy league seems to work is that you either pick Diego Costa, or you can't win...

nkkingston
09-13-2014, 09:08 PM
Like having Suarez last year, or Van Persie the year before that. There's always one player who's the have/have not that divides the fantasy league!

KellyAssauer
09-13-2014, 11:29 PM
So. The way this fantasy league seems to work is that you either pick Diego Costa, or you can't win...

:D

*does happy dance*

waylander
09-13-2014, 11:50 PM
Graziano Pelle looking like the real deal. We're up to 4th. Newcastle were dreadful though.

KellyAssauer
09-14-2014, 12:22 AM
Newcastle were dreadful though.

and the Mighty Red weren't?

robeiae
09-14-2014, 03:18 AM
:D

*does happy dance*

It's actually downright scary.

I know the season is only four games old, but Diego Costa looks like the greatest thing since sliced bread (and I like sliced bread). And imo, it points to just how badly Spain prepared for the World Cup. They had a world-beater in the front and instead of building their team around him, they tried to force him into what they already had.

Now he goes to Chelsea, with creativity and pace all over the midfield, with guys who would like to push deep on the sides and lay in crossing balls. For whatever reason, Torres simply couldn't get these goals. But Costa can. And he plays with a serious edge, barking at teammates who fail to deliver the ball to him constantly. And they're responding. They're not pushing forward to score goals, they're pushing forward to give Costa a chance, more often than not. Down the road, Hazard and Ivanovic are gonna benefit from all of this, imo. And Costa is gonna challenge some records.

It's gonna be a fun season...

robeiae
09-15-2014, 12:58 AM
So, how about that new look Man U? I know it was just QPR, but they looked a helluva lot more like a real team today.

All the experts say Mata may be the odd man out. But I'm wondering if maybe Van Persie isn't? They can move him for a lot more cash than Mata, I bet. And I don't know that what Van Persie brings the table is so critical now. He was mostly a non-factor today, even before Falcao cam on the pitch.

Personally, I think Di Maria/Mata/Herrera/Rooney/Falcao sounds pretty good.

Oh, and I really like Blind. Picking him up may turn out to be the move of the year for Man U. Serious bang for the buck there.

waylander
09-28-2014, 12:22 AM
Can't believe we're still 2nd

nkkingston
09-28-2014, 03:29 PM
Last time Saints finished second was the year my OH was born. I don't think we'll hold the spot, but I think we have a genuine shot at the Europa league this year!

waylander
09-28-2014, 04:53 PM
Last time Saints finished second was the year my OH was born. I don't think we'll hold the spot, but I think we have a genuine shot at the Europa league this year!
The match next Sunday against Spurs will be a good indication of how good we really are. I would be happy with a draw.

nkkingston
10-18-2014, 09:36 PM
So... who else is watching MotD tonight? Beautiful goal! (http://gfycat.com/BarrenCommonAfricanbushviper)

waylander
10-18-2014, 09:57 PM
I will happily watch that many times over.
Really should have gone to the game but I had m-i-l visiting.

robeiae
10-25-2014, 09:34 PM
Wow. That has to be one of the worst performances from Liverpool I have ever witnessed.

I know Sturridge is still out, that things will change when he comes back, but Balotelli is clearly not the answer here. Liverpool needs to get rid of him as soon as they can, imo. In the meantime, stop starting him. Make him earn a start by coming of the bench and actually playing hard.

waylander
10-25-2014, 09:57 PM
I don't understand why Brendan Rodgers isn't making more of the Lambert/Lallana partnership. They scored a lot of goals last season.

Still having difficulty believing Southampton are 2nd. But they've won 6 matches and are there on merit. Some tough fixtures to come before Christmas though.

robeiae
10-25-2014, 10:30 PM
Yeah, I don't know why he pulled Lallana when he sent in Lambert. I think he's fixated on proving the Balotelli signing was a good move.

Sterling is suffering from all of this, as well, I think. He's better when he's with players who make good decisions and lead by example (like Sturridge and, really, Suarez).

robeiae
11-04-2014, 09:28 PM
A diamond in the rough...

I caught the second half of yesterday's match between Sunderland and Crystal Park. That was some balls-to-the-wall non-stop action! Who woulda thunk it?

waylander
11-06-2014, 09:03 PM
I'm going to my first Premiership match of the season on Saturday to see Southampton play Leicester.
Watched the Utd/City derby on Sunday and have to say I'm not too worried about playing either of them at home.

robeiae
11-06-2014, 10:33 PM
After watching City's Champions League match yesterday, I wouldn't worry about playing them anywhere.

O. M. G. Could we just try to show a little professionalism and a little sense?!?

rugcat
11-28-2014, 08:35 AM
Anyone catch the City/Bayern Munich game. A bit of drama, to say the least. Aguero really showed me something.

waylander
11-28-2014, 02:57 PM
Bayern's defending was sloppy to allow Aguero the chances for goals 2 and 3. They had been 10 against 11 for 70 minutes so fatigue must have played a part.

Southampton are playing City on Sunday and I'm going. That will be a tough game for Southampton but they've beaten City before. Last season was 1-1 with arguably a weaker Southampton team

rugcat
11-28-2014, 09:20 PM
Bayern's defending was sloppy to allow Aguero the chances for goals 2 and 3. They had been 10 against 11 for 70 minutes so fatigue must have played a part. Absolutely.

But not everyone who gets a chance finishes it.

waylander
12-01-2014, 02:19 PM
So City turned up and played well. They are going to be a handful for anyone when they do that. Losing our key defensive midfielder at half time was, for me, a crucial event. Southampton matched them in the first half but didn't in the second.

robeiae
12-01-2014, 08:44 PM
Toure looks like he's got his head on straight again. That makes a big difference for City, imo.

KellyAssauer
12-06-2014, 12:25 AM
Southampton haven't a thing to be ashamed of, they held very well. They are so very close to being able to win top tier matches!
Gah.
Every single outcome I wanted on Thursday failed. My poor Spurs. =(
Oh wait, I'm third? How'd that happen?

Eddyz Aquila
12-07-2014, 03:53 PM
Newcastle fought pretty well against Chelsea!

robeiae
12-13-2014, 11:49 PM
There's cheeky, and then there's cheeky...

http://www.espnfc.us/barclays-premier-league/23/video/2197554

ETA: I see my link has gone bad. It was to a vidoe of Giroud's second goal against Newcastle. Here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmKXnlMAvL4

DjentlemanJoe
12-15-2014, 01:50 AM
I was pleased with our win over Swansea today.

I was expecting a 2-2 draw with Bony/Gylfi to score for them and Kane/Eriksen for us. I got all 3 goalscorers right, but I'm much happier with 3 points than 1 :)

waylander
12-15-2014, 02:40 AM
Extremely disappointed with Southampton's result at Burnley. Just goes to show you can't afford to miss penalties.

robeiae
12-15-2014, 07:15 PM
I was pleased with our win over Swansea today.

I was expecting a 2-2 draw with Bony/Gylfi to score for them and Kane/Eriksen for us. I got all 3 goalscorers right, but I'm much happier with 3 points than 1 :)

That was a good match. Lot of fun to watch.

nkkingston
12-18-2014, 10:15 PM
You think losing to Burnley was bad? the OH and I were stood in the rain watching a certain League One team beat us. And they deserved it, at the end of the day.

waylander
12-18-2014, 10:50 PM
You think losing to Burnley was bad? the OH and I were stood in the rain watching a certain League One team beat us. And they deserved it, at the end of the day.

That was shameful! Listened to it on the radio, Mane had a shocker.
Not optimistic about Saturday's match with Everton as we don't appear to have any midfielder players available.

waylander
12-22-2014, 10:31 PM
That was shameful! Listened to it on the radio, Mane had a shocker.
Not optimistic about Saturday's match with Everton as we don't appear to have any midfielder players available.

Need not have worried! We have a new star - 19 y.o. Harrison Reed. Looked like he had played in the side all season. Everton weren't bad, we were just better. Excellent day out at St Marys'

KellyAssauer
12-23-2014, 01:28 AM
Our house never had a favorite until the end of last season. Sure we had hoped that the Warriors didn't shoot themselves in the foot, but they did. We'll still watch them with some interest, but the two teams we lean toward more than any other did well this weekend: the Black Cats and the Spurs. I appreciated how the Lads pulled themselves out of dead last in the spring with five games to go. That sort of effort requires finding a special drive and desire and never quitting. Those are values I can relate to. =)

waylander
12-28-2014, 11:45 PM
Southampton got a draw with league leaders Chelsea today; played really well. Bring on Arsenal.

nkkingston
12-30-2014, 10:47 PM
Got to see Saints Chelsea in person :) Treat from the in laws. Best I've seen them play. I swear, Mane was a completely different player. It was very much a case of holding on in the second half, but hold on we did. Chelsea players kept warming up on the pitch, which was weird. I like Reed for his hair - you can recognise him in the worst of weathers! Not a lot of proper gingers in the PL these days. I like Mane's blond streak for the same reason.

KellyAssauer
12-31-2014, 03:07 AM
I like Reed for his hair -

Not this weekend, but on boxing day I was watching the Spurs game and got a kick out of Lamela's hair... then I began to realize that most of the team (even Kane) seem to have this tendency to comb it straight up. This subtlety amuses me to no end.

waylander
01-02-2015, 06:15 PM
Impressive win for Southampton against Arsenal. Should have been more than the 2-0. Back up into the CL positions. Next match away at Old Trafford. Play as we did against Arsenal and we can get something from Man Utd.

KellyAssauer
01-02-2015, 07:17 PM
Impressive, yes, but not nearly as impressive as the Spurs dominance of Chelsea. This is going to be a very interesting second half of the season!

waylander
01-02-2015, 09:34 PM
That Kane lad looked very tasty.

nkkingston
01-04-2015, 08:14 PM
Do you think his parents named him for the pun? I'm sure the papers can't have been he first ones to latch on to "Harry Kane season" etc.

Little bit smug about QPR losing to Sheff U 3-0 today. Harry Redknapp is no friend of Saints, so it's always good to see him do badly. Hopefully QPR will kick him to the curb soon.

waylander
01-12-2015, 03:50 PM
Man Utd 0 Southampton 1 at Old Trafford - Woo hoo! Amazing game to watch in the middle of a bunch of Utd supporters. Totally deserved victory.

robeiae
01-12-2015, 03:56 PM
What was up with that Stoke City kit? The players looked like they were in some third-tier league from Outer Mongolia. Stoke deserved the loss just for taking the field.

waylander
01-18-2015, 12:03 AM
Another huge win for Southampton away at Newcastle. Earned it too, these boys defend very well.

KellyAssauer
02-01-2015, 10:04 PM
Oh my.
If this weekend wasn't interesting enough,
next weekend is the one I probably shouldn't talk about at all.
It's time for that derby.

Yikes.

KellyAssauer
02-07-2015, 01:44 AM
So anyways, this fantasy futball thing. It's driving me crazy. Just about the time I think I have some of it figured out one of my choices gets suspended or injured and I have to re-figure it all out. Today I had the most uncomfortable choice of whether or not to keep Kane as captain as the Spurs face against their biggest rival, or appoint Aguero as ManC faces Hull? How do I even guess? I should give it to a midfielder... You guys should have warned me that this thing was so crazy difficult!

robeiae
03-02-2015, 06:11 PM
Okay, serious question: what the hell is wrong with Everton? There's waaaay too much talent there for the club to be as low in the table as it is right now. Six wins in twenty seven games? Six?!?! For those of you closer to all of this, is Martinez on his way out? Gah!

On the Fantasy front, what's up with this week? Some teams have multiple games, right? Seems to me that if one doesn't have Kane and/or Austin on their starting eleven (and as captain), one could get knocked into oblivion in just this week, as both play two games. If Kane is captain and scores a brace or better in both games (entirely possible), that's a truckload of points, right?

waylander
03-02-2015, 10:23 PM
Everton are turning into Wigan

Priene
03-03-2015, 08:34 PM
Everton are turning into Wigan

Not wanting to tempt fate tonight, but have you seen what Wigan have turned into this season?

robeiae
03-03-2015, 09:55 PM
Is Wigan set to drop again? Wow, that's pretty sad. I haven't seen any of their games. Have they lost all their good players or are they just playing like crap?

waylander
03-03-2015, 10:25 PM
Currently second bottom in the Championship, 9 points from safety

Priene
03-03-2015, 10:25 PM
Is Wigan set to drop again? Wow, that's pretty sad. I haven't seen any of their games. Have they lost all their good players or are they just playing like crap?

They're a tiny club who got promoted to the Premiership thanks to a rich owner - Bournemouth and Brentford are trying the same thing this year. They had a few good years but there are many clubs in Lancashire, so when relegation came - which it does to everyone except Arsenal eventually - their gates fell off. Their decent players (I think - I haven't paid much attention) are mainly gone and they're currently plummeting towards division three. Both their owner and manager have been at the centre of major racism scandals.

And their rich owner has stood down just today leaving his 23-year-old grandson in charge, which doesn't sound promising.

Priene
03-03-2015, 11:18 PM
In fact, it's turning into an even worse day for Wigan as Cardiff City, the former employers of their manager Malky Mackay, have presented further evidence of Mackay's dodgy text messages (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/31717969).

risk10
03-05-2015, 05:14 AM
Just beat Norwich the b*stards. We had a chance to go second.

KellyAssauer
03-14-2015, 08:33 PM
Would the last supporter to leave early,
please turn off the stadium of light...

:cry:

Priene
03-14-2015, 08:40 PM
Would the last supporter to leave early,
please turn off the stadium of light...

:cry:

I was at the Stadium of Light the day we won the Championship a few years ago. That was quite a party.

KellyAssauer
03-14-2015, 09:18 PM
I'd want to be there once. If I could see a match there and maybe one at White Hart Lane, I'd be happy.

Priene
03-15-2015, 12:25 AM
I'd want to be there once. If I could see a match there and maybe one at White Hart Lane, I'd be happy.

It was a great evening. We lost 1-0 so they didn't get grumpy, and West Brom lost somewhere grim so we were champions anyway. And they had an ex-Ipswich striker so we could do comedy booing for 90 minutes. Their stewards let one of supporters run up and down the touchline with a huge flag for that genuine Latin American vibe.

Sunderland in a weird way have been our Northern allies since our Milk Cup final in 1985. We even have our own Friendship Trophy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friendship_Trophy).

I've been to White Hart Lane once. Chris Waddle scored virtually from a corner flag. His mullet had the magical ability to negate the laws of physics.

robeiae
05-19-2015, 12:06 AM
Lol. Fabregas just got red carded for nailing Chris Brunt in the head with the ball. Worth searching out the video of the incident. I'm still laughing...

KellyAssauer
05-19-2015, 01:23 AM
I'd say that, generally speaking, when West Brom goes up on Chelsea 3-nil... the whole world becomes a little funnier.

With only a few games left, any predictions on that final spot of relegation?

Priene
05-19-2015, 01:16 PM
I'm far too busy thinking about Wembley to worry about who's coming the other way.

waylander
05-20-2015, 12:58 AM
Hull - they've got to beat Man Utd and don't have the firepower, otherwise I'd say Newcastle. Newcastle have really fallen apart in their last matches, there is something seriously wrong at the heart of that club.

robeiae
05-20-2015, 01:04 AM
I think a lot depends on what Sunderland does tomorrow. They've been looking good, but a poor performance against Arsenal could leave them in serious jeopardy, because of goal differential, given their last match is against Chelsea and I expect a big rebound performance from the Blues.

Priene
05-20-2015, 11:53 AM
Norwich beat Man City 1-0 away on the last day of the season a couple of years ago, despite being, well, less than fantastic. Funny things happen when players are thinking about their holidays. Not saying Hull will win, but it wouldn't surprise me if they did. Which is more than I can say for Newcastle.

robeiae
05-21-2015, 03:17 AM
Well, things are a little clearer with today's draw. Sunderland are safe.

KellyAssauer
05-21-2015, 11:02 AM
Yep, Sunderland pulled it out again. Hull City will be the game I'll watch. They've never won a BPL game in the month of May and it's against Man City, but they will be motivated. It's really in their own hands now because I don't see Newcastle getting 3 points this weekend.

Priene
05-21-2015, 07:43 PM
Four days to Wembley. The only problem with winning the play-offs is that you have to spend the next year or two scrambling around at the bottom of the Prem.

waylander
05-22-2015, 02:13 PM
Four days to Wembley. The only problem with winning the play-offs is that you have to spend the next year or two scrambling around at the bottom of the Prem.
Not necessarily so, Southampton didn't.

Priene
05-22-2015, 02:20 PM
Not necessarily so, Southampton didn't.

True, but I don't see us finishing about 14th or so any time soon. Middlesborough are a defensive team so they might be OK. I think Bournemouth and especially Watford - who have a fun attitude of 'you score 4 and we'll score 5' that I'm not sure will work against Chelsea or Liverpool - are going to have tough seasons.

waylander
05-22-2015, 03:56 PM
I agree. Watford and Bournemouth need to spend if they're going to be more than one season wonders. I'm still pinching myself at the prospect of Bournemouth in the Premiership.

Priene
05-22-2015, 04:29 PM
I agree. Watford and Bournemouth need to spend if they're going to be more than one season wonders. I'm still pinching myself at the prospect of Bournemouth in the Premiership.

You'll have a local derby to look forward to. The mighty Bournemouth army is a sight to behold.

robeiae
05-22-2015, 04:46 PM
What't the capacity on the Bournemouth stadium? 1500?

Priene
05-22-2015, 05:07 PM
What't the capacity on the Bournemouth stadium? 1500?

Dean Court has 12k now, apparently.

waylander
05-22-2015, 05:24 PM
You'll have a local derby to look forward to. The mighty Bournemouth army is a sight to behold.

That's one we dare not lose!

Priene
05-22-2015, 06:14 PM
That's one we dare not lose!

That's what we thought just before we lost 7-1 to Colchester.

KellyAssauer
05-23-2015, 01:13 AM
If Norwich gets in, I think they have the best chance of staying up. They've been in before and have the experience, but any of the three are going to have to spend. The whole Watford squad would have to step up to stay and it might help if Matej Vydra could be signed on... to help out Troy Deeney

- then again, what do I know? =)

Priene
05-23-2015, 08:31 PM
We have most of our Prem team, minus Snodgrass who signed for Hull and got a season-ending injury on his debut. And we've actually got strikers now. I don't think Chris Hughton really knew what to do with those so he never bothered signing any.

Beating Boro, though, is a big if. They've beaten us twice this season, and the first was a right slapping.

And Watford's manager has apparently just quit, possibly sensing this was a good time to go.

KellyAssauer
05-24-2015, 01:59 AM
And Watford's manager has apparently just quit, possibly sensing this was a good time to go.

Maybe Sunderland made him an offer! :Roll:

Priene
05-25-2015, 11:47 AM
And it's the Championship Play-Off final day. It's like Christmas Eve, with sunshine.

I predict things will go really well for us. Or really badly.

KellyAssauer
05-25-2015, 02:47 PM
And it's the Championship Play-Off final day. It's like Christmas Eve, with sunshine.

I predict things will go really well for us. Or really badly.

After searching the web, I realize that there's no way I can watch this game live. =(

However, I did find a live-stream radio broadcast (http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00csdzl)!

Woohoo! (3 hours and 7 minutes to go)

Priene
05-25-2015, 04:02 PM
After searching the web, I realize that there's no way I can watch this game live. =(

However, I did find a live-stream radio broadcast (http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00csdzl)!

Woohoo! (3 hours and 7 minutes to go)

Just sent you a reppy.

Priene
05-25-2015, 04:26 PM
Lots of excited and very fortunate types heading down the A11 this morning with City scarves streaming from their windows. But not me, sadly. Tickets never even went on general sale.

Priene
05-25-2015, 06:59 PM
2-0 to Norwich at half-time, and Boro haven't been in the game so far. {crosses fingers}

Priene
05-25-2015, 07:58 PM
...and we're back.

waylander
05-25-2015, 08:03 PM
Congratulations to the Canaries. See you next season.

Priene
05-25-2015, 08:58 PM
Definitely the most fun way of going up, if you can do it. And great to see a full Wembley with no neutrals in the crowd. Not that there's anything wrong with being a neutral, but what a noise.

Fun statistic: attendance at (Norwich manager) Alex Neil's first match this year: 730. At his final match: 85,636.

Priene
05-26-2015, 01:48 PM
This (http://swissramble.blogspot.ch/2015/05/queens-park-rangers-do-you-believe-in.html?m=1) is a sobering report on the amazing finances of the newly-relegated (again) Queens Park Rangers. Sample quote: '(debt) has risen from 14 million in 2006 to 185 million in 2014'

robeiae
07-18-2015, 04:34 AM
Transfer talk:

Fabian Delph, wow. Nice job making yourself into an arch-villian in just two days

Ramos, is he or isn't he coming to ManU? I'm guessing Real will cave and let him go in exchange for De Gea. And if so, is ManU back in a big way? I think so.

Priene
08-09-2015, 03:29 PM
That started well. I guess we'll always have Wembley.

robeiae
08-09-2015, 03:36 PM
I liked watching the Bournemouth game. Everything seemed so close to the cameras. It was like being at a small college football game in the U.S.

Priene
08-15-2015, 09:10 PM
Sunderland 1 Norwich 3. Rather unexpected, and I'd be a little concerned if I was a Mackem.

And Leicester are top. Who saw that coming?

waylander
10-04-2015, 02:27 PM
Chelsea won't be retaining the title this year then.

robeiae
10-05-2015, 12:53 AM
And Rodgers won't be making any big moves at Liverpool.

robeiae
10-09-2015, 12:25 AM
And it's official: http://www.espnfc.us/liverpool/story/2653175/jurgen-klopp-appointed-liverpool-manager-after-rodgers-exit

Liverpool have confirmed the appointment of Jurgen Klopp as their new manager.
Klopp, 48, has signed a three-year contract at Anfield, returning to football after he parted company with Borussia Dortmund at the end of last season.
Good news for Liverpool, I think.

nkkingston
10-26-2015, 09:04 PM
What are the odds on Mourinho actually going? I mean, I'd love to see Pep over here, but frankly I think Chelsea would have to be fools to throw Mourinho away now. He doesn't know how to lose, and is falling apart, but if Chelsea let him go someone else will nab him and he'll snap back to form. Just keep him away from the press and he'll get better eventually.

waylander
10-26-2015, 11:33 PM
If they keep doing OK in the Champions League then Abramovich will probably stay his hand so long as the players support him.

KellyAssauer
10-30-2015, 07:06 AM
I don't see Mourinho actually supporting his own players. Usually his antics are to keep the media eye on him giving the players breathing room, but here lately he's off his game. No matter what happens, it's still fun to watch. All this talk of Klopp and Liverpool doesn't interest me either. Rodgers already sold off the team.

I am watching Sam Allardyce though. I have a soft spot for the underdogs so when I get chance I'll root for the cats and Bournemouth. I hope they both make it. As far as the top of the table goes... with everything being so weird this year, if the Spurs could be consistent - I'd say they have a shot at it. When they have Eriksen healthy, Lamela and Kane scoring and supporting - and when the team really clicks... they are darn hard to beat. If they could just field that team every week...

KellyAssauer
11-01-2015, 06:17 AM
Liverpool 3 - Chelsea 1

*awaits Mourinho's sacking.

razibahmed
12-04-2015, 02:42 AM
An arsenal fan since 1988

KellyAssauer
12-04-2015, 07:57 AM
An arsenal fan since 1988

They are quite beat up right now.

robeiae
12-04-2015, 05:27 PM
We're down, but we're not out! :P #coyg

But I have to admit, I fear the rise of Liverpool.

KellyAssauer
12-04-2015, 06:17 PM
We're down, but we're not out! :P #coyg

But I have to admit, I fear the rise of Liverpool.

6 - 1 over Southamptom using the b-team?

yeesh...
you ain't the only one.

robeiae
12-05-2015, 03:48 AM
I have this weird feeling that Liverpool is going to somehow pry Hummels away from BVB in January. That would be a real big step up.

KellyAssauer
12-05-2015, 05:07 AM
I have this weird feeling that Liverpool is going to somehow pry Hummels away from BVB in January. That would be a real big step up.

Oh sure.

While you're at it why not suggest that the Columbus Crew will win this year's MLS title?

:roll:

robeiae
12-05-2015, 05:40 AM
Also, Messi is going to Sunderland.

KellyAssauer
12-05-2015, 06:28 AM
My futbol fans say that they'd question any Dortmund transfer rumor.
Lewandowski's defection to Bayern Munich must still leave a bitter taste.

Their agreed upon BPL predictions for this weekend:

Man City over Stoke (barely) (fail)
Watford over Norwich City
Arsenal/Sunderland - a tie. (fail)
Spurs over West Brom (fail)
West Ham over Man U. (fail)
Leicester over Swansea
Liverpool pummels Newcastle

They disagree on these:
Southampton/Aston V
Chelsea/Bournemouth
Everton/Crystal P

The two of them rarely agree on the final score
- and never get half of their predictions correct

but they have fun guessing. =)

waylander
12-05-2015, 08:08 PM
6 - 1 over Southamptom using the b-team?

Horrorshow!
I was there

robeiae
12-07-2015, 01:22 AM
Their agreed upon BPL predictions for this weekend:

Man City over Stoke (barely) (fail)
Watford over Norwich City
Arsenal/Sunderland - a tie. (fail)
Spurs over West Brom (fail)
West Ham over Man U. (fail)
Leicester over Swansea
Liverpool pummels Newcastle

Well obviously, the last was a fail, too. But it was pretty surprising.

An interesting week for us Arsenal fans.

I thought for sure that we'd be looking at a bunch up for third place--Arsenal, ManU, Tot--behind Man City and Leicester, with Liverpool coming on strong. Instead, we're all alone in second, now with the same GD as Man City. Pretty good results... :)

KellyAssauer
12-12-2015, 03:32 PM
The boys guess for Matchweek 16:

They can NOT agree on:
Norwich/Everton - but neither pick Norwich to win
Sunderland/Watford - neither pick Watford to win
West Ham/Stoke - neither pick W.Ham to win
Man City/Swansea - neither pick Swansea to win
Leicester City/Chelsea - neither pick Chelsea to win

CrystalPalace/Southampton
Bournemouth/Man United
Aston Villa/Arsenal
Liverpool/West Brom
Spurs/Newcastle

*want to congratulate Erik Lamela.
People had doubts (I didn't) but his hat trick this week should shut them all up!

waylander
12-15-2015, 03:03 AM
The Leicester miracle continues

robeiae
12-15-2015, 03:11 AM
I'm really enjoying Chelsea's misery.

*cracks open a bag of Walker's Vardy Salted crisps*

KellyAssauer
12-15-2015, 07:12 AM
Can someone please explain the Spur lost to Newcastle to me?

That's just the dumbest thing ever.

robeiae
12-17-2015, 07:17 PM
Ciao, Jose: http://www.espnfc.com/chelsea/story/2685417/chelsea-sack-jose-mourinho-after-ninth-premier-league-defeat

Chelsea have sacked manager Jose Mourinho after suffering their ninth defeat of the season, according to multiple reports.

waylander
12-17-2015, 07:51 PM
That is going to make Jose a very rich man

robeiae
12-17-2015, 09:52 PM
Well last time Chelsea sacked him, he picked up a Ferrari in addition to the buy out money, right?

Priene
12-19-2015, 10:09 PM
Man U 1 Norwich 2. Maybe this Premiership lark isn't so bad after all.

KellyAssauer
12-19-2015, 10:15 PM
and Bournemouth win again,
and last year's December break bottom of the table Leicester City remain on top?

I'd say the Larks have it! =)

robeiae
12-20-2015, 07:37 PM
Two matches left, but they're not going to change the table much, no matter what happens. West Ham is stuck at 8, Swansea is stuck in the relegation zone. And the Arsenal/City match is just to decide the second spot.

So...going in to Christmas, Leicester is top, Watford is at 7, but only a point below 4. Palace is just above. Man U looks like they're hanging on for dear life now, Liverpool isn't much better under Kloop, and Everton and Southampton just aren't having good seasons.

Messed. Up. But in a good way.

robeiae
12-24-2015, 05:02 PM
Who is ready for Boxing Day? If we could just get past this Christmas stuff and get to the important matters...

waylander
12-25-2015, 04:39 PM
I am not feeling good about Southampton's home game with Arsenal

Priene
12-26-2015, 12:25 AM

I'm feeling less than confident about Norwich's trip to Tottenham.

I would complain about our supporters having to travel 100 miles on Boxing Day but in the absence of Ipswich this is our local derby.

KellyAssauer
12-26-2015, 01:48 AM
Arsenal is wounded, a lot of it's better players are injured...
and Tottenham lost to Newcastle.

Newcastle.

There is nothing to feel less confident about at all!

Priene
12-26-2015, 02:11 PM
We never beat Tottenham. It's pre-ordained, like indigestion on Christmas night. They could field their catering crew and still eke out a one-nil victory.

KellyAssauer
12-27-2015, 02:00 AM
Sorry Priene. It wasn't an embarrassing loss. There is that much - and another game in days. =)

Waylander... um, feeling any better now? (prolly still dancing in the streets) Holy heck.

This is really a very weird year. I have a feeling that whoever wins it - is going to win it by default.

robeiae
12-27-2015, 03:01 AM
Gah!TM

waylander
12-28-2015, 06:35 PM
Gah!TM
So did not see that coming. Wish I'd gone to the game (but had a house full of guests)

Priene
12-28-2015, 09:49 PM
And we beat Villa, so all's well that ends well. Villa look down already.

KellyAssauer
02-06-2016, 06:44 PM
Unbelievable... and I find my self cheering LC on. I just can't help it...

waylander
02-07-2016, 06:24 PM
They certainly played Man City off the park

robeiae
05-01-2016, 07:17 PM
So....LC picks up a point, meaning Tottenham must win all of their remaining games just to have a chance.

And the bottom of the table, well I'm happy for Swansea as they look safe now. But who is going down with Aston Villa? Two of these three: Norwich, Sunderland, and Newcastle. This looks like it won't be decided until the last day, for sure. Though my gut tells me Newcastle will escape. Guess we'll see.

blacbird
05-02-2016, 06:42 AM
I feel bad for Norwich. When I lived in England, 27 years ago, they had a surprisingly nice Premier League run. But, alas, it's all gone now.

But a great shoutout for LC.

caw

robeiae
05-02-2016, 11:51 PM
It's halftime at Stamford Bridge (Tottenham 2-0 Chelsea). If you're not doing anything, I suggest tuning in. Because it looks like it might get ugly (er).

KellyAssauer
05-03-2016, 01:06 AM
And it's over. :cry:

robeiae
05-03-2016, 01:11 AM
I can't believe Tottenham. I mean aside from Kane, Alderweireld, and Loris, every player behaved like a grade-A jackwagon today. Dembele is probably done for the season now, once the FA sees what he did. Lamela may be in some trouble, too. I'm disappointed. :(

KellyAssauer
05-03-2016, 02:39 AM
For the first time since 1990 the Spurs came out of Stamford Bridge without a loss. If they can at least survive two more games, they will have finished ahead of Arsenal - a feat they have not accomplished in the modern Premier League Era. Harry Kane, by all indications, will probably still have this year's Golden Boot. Most all the naysayers have changed their minds, and Erik Lamela is as he should have be - one of us. And... if it wasn't for the unexpected, out-of-nowhere, nearly magical, Cinderella performance of LC... Tottenham would have the title. So if a few team mates acted out some in frustration today... I can forgive them.

ElaineA
05-03-2016, 03:17 AM
I have to admit I'm bummed not to be able to see LC win it instead of lock it up by Tottenham losing. We watched the game on Sunday hoping, hoping.

Oh, well, it's been amazing to watch the EPL this year with so much of it turned on its head. Gotta hand it to ol' King Richard...

rugcat
05-03-2016, 03:29 AM
For Leicester City to win the Premiership is an astounding achievement. The odds of them doing so in the beginning of the season, as has been quoted often, were 5000 to 1. I don't think you can find a comparable achievement in history of sport any sport.

Here's a pretty good article from ESPN FC marveling at what they managed to do.

http://www.espnfc.com/blog/marcotti-musings/62/post/2862753/leicester-city-win-premier-league-pull-off-most-unlikely-feat-in-sports-history

blacbird
05-03-2016, 05:16 AM
And no matter what happens from here to eternity, LC will always have that Premier League championship trophy (whatever it is) to crow about. Bite that, Arsenal, Man United, Liverpool . . .

caw

KellyAssauer
05-11-2016, 12:32 AM
Its all my fault you know.

I'm the one that told the West Ham fans that Robeiae was on the Man United bus...

robeiae
05-11-2016, 05:15 PM
It was a fun game. Good for West Ham.

Looking forward to seeing Tottenham finish off their collapse and actually surrender 2nd place to Arsenal...

KellyAssauer
05-12-2016, 02:41 AM
It was a fun game. Good for West Ham.

Looking forward to seeing Tottenham finish off their collapse and actually surrender 2nd place to Arsenal...

As you were looking forward to Newcastle escaping relegation,
I'm afraid that St. Totteringham's Day - may - or may not happen this year.
(That this ^ is even a thing, is just horrendous!)
We can only wait and see.

*Thank You Sam Allardyce. You saved them again!*

robeiae
05-15-2016, 08:04 PM
:ROFL:

blacbird
05-16-2016, 07:46 AM
It was a fun game match.

Edited for correct nomenclature, this being a writers' site and all. It was also played on a pitch, not on a field.

caw

waylander
05-27-2016, 04:56 PM
Very happy with Southampton's final placing. Now we have to hang on to the players that got us there.