RIP: Nelson Mandela. 1918-2013

Beaviz81

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
The great statesman and symbol for unity Nelson Mandela died today the fifth of December 2013. Let us all mourn one of the greatest symbols for equality between the races since Martin Luther King.

Mclesh

It's too hot
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.storyrhyme.com
The world will be lesser without him. Gentle man, freedom fighter, advocate for justice and equality.

Rest in peace, Nelson Mandela.

dill16

Currently Making Lists
Registered
Reaction score
Website
dillwerner.blogspot.com
He was an influence in my research and writing on equal rights. For me, it's not just about race. It's about equality between human beings. Mandela's legacy will be forever.

wonderactivist

Registered
Reaction score
Website
luciesmoker.wordpress.com
Mandela had a deep, personal influence on the lives of millions of us. From his tiny prison cell on a rock island off the coast of South Africa, his words and his ... persona ... proudly passed armed guards to speak to the whole planet. Like a whisper that sounded louder than their tanks and their billions, Mandela could not be silenced.

When the whole world stood on his side, demanding his freedom, Mandela used the opportunity to create a peaceful change. He never sought "power."

Selfless, strong and ultimately a genius, Mandela can only inspire us to achieve good things for the planet.

They might call him Madiba, but to me he will always be Rolihlahla, the rebel.

Bush_moon

Banned
Reaction score
A great man indeed! I enjoyed the film 'invictus' a couple of years back!

BM

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
My mama used to say, 'If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.'

Since this is a thread for 'Remembrances'; not an extension of 'Politics and Current Events', that will be our guide.

If you would like to discuss Mr. Mandela and his freedom fighter/terrorist history, P&CE would be the place to do it, not here. You are welcome to take the topic there; but be prepared to defend your statement. Good luck.

Thank you.

Once!

Still confused by shoelaces
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.will-once.com
If you read "A long walk to freedom" you will see that Nelson Mandela did a great many things that he was not proud of.

And a great many things that the whole world can take pride in.

A great man who will continue to be an inspiration for many. Although not (it seems) for all.