Questions about submissions

dobiwon

Planning to retire for the 5th time
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
magind7.wixsite.com
Background: I'm an absolute novice at submitting for publication.

So, I've got some questions about things I've seen in submission guidelines. I've checked all of the earlier posts here and I think I found the answer to one of my questions, but I haven't seen answers to the others:

1) If the guidelines say No unsolicited manuscripts, is it ok to send unsolicited queries? This is the question I've seen answered already, and I think I've interpreted the answer as yes, as long as there is no admonition that only agented submissions are allowed.
2) Does No simultaneous submissions apply to simultaneous queries?
3) If simultaneous submissions are allowed, will it reflect poorly on me if I do submit to several markets at the same time (of course, identifying them as simulaneous submissions)?
4) I've written several (4 so far) picture book stories about the same characters in different situations. Everything that I've read says that I should submit only one manuscript, but should I mention in the cover letter that I envision this as one of a series? Should I give some indication or summary of the storyline of the others?
5) Should I submit all four to four different markets, and if I get a positive response from one, withdraw the others?
6) If I've received a rejection for one of the stories, should I send another one from the same series to the same publisher?

I've got more questions, but I think six is plenty enough for one posting. I will appreciate any and all responses to my naive questions.

Bleak House Books

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bleakhousebooks.com
dobiwon said:
1) If the guidelines say No unsolicited manuscripts, is it ok to send unsolicited queries? This is the question I've seen answered already, and I think I've interpreted the answer as yes, as long as there is no admonition that only agented submissions are allowed.

The answer is yes. Unsolicited manuscripts are overwhelming (especially when you don't want to read them AND you are busy with other publishing tasks).

dobiwon said:
2) Does No simultaneous submissions apply to simultaneous queries?

Not to us. However, I can other people having a different stance. In our case, we never ask for anything on an exclusive basis, so your mileage may vary elsewhere.

dobiwon said:
3) If simultaneous submissions are allowed, will it reflect poorly on me if I do submit to several markets at the same time (of course, identifying them as simulaneous submissions)?

Does not reflect poorly. Suggests you are motivated. On top of that, nobody has to know who has the book. It may be two companies. It may be twenty.

dobiwon said:
4) I've written several (4 so far) picture book stories about the same characters in different situations. Everything that I've read says that I should submit only one manuscript, but should I mention in the cover letter that I envision this as one of a series? Should I give some indication or summary of the storyline of the others?

Mention that it's part of a series. Personally I would NOT like a summary of the storyline of others, but other people may have different tastes. Unfortunately, there are no hard and fast guidelines. Different houses have different stances.

Best of luck to you!

BeeBomb

Registered
Reaction score
Perhaps this is not the forum to ask this question but it has been posed to me several times and I can't give an accurate answer. Enlighted me and everyone else who asks this question.

If a person places a poem, short story or any other written works on a web site and wants to enter one of them in a contest, is it considered as published? I know what publishing is but in this instance, for contests, would it be legal?

Now that I am thoroughly confused and need a cup of coffee to figure out what I have written.......help!

Joyce