Best Man in France?

Telergic

Overwriting
Registered
Reaction score
No, this has nothing to do with D'Artagnan.

Do the French have the tradition of a "best man" at a wedding? If so, how common is the tradition, and how old is it in France? If not, is there any other special role a groom's best friend might be expected to play anywhere along the way from the engagement to the wedding?

Ladybird

Registered
Reaction score
We were guests at a French wedding and there was a best man. He made a best man's speech with a slideshow of funny pictures from when the bride and groom were babies, to when they met. It was an extremely long and drawn out affair especially as the French disappeared between each course to have a ciggy. I'm not sure if he was just a crap best man but he didn't circulate with the guests or do anything much except pose.

As Cath mentioned try googling. If you still have problems, please let me know and I will ask my French relatives :)

Telergic

Overwriting
Registered
Reaction score
When I google I get references to "mariage anglais", which makes me think it's a recent import as a custom. I see no historical analysis of when the French adopted the custom, nor any social reporting how common it is.

But feel free to use "let me google that for you" if I used the wrong search term. Certainly there are many examples of French best men at marriages, but my question was not if they exist at all, but how common they are, and how old the tradition.

I should point out that http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wedding_customs_by_country#French_customs does not mention them at all.

TheNighSwan

Banned
Reaction score
As far as I understand, the "best man" is what in French is called a "témoin" (witness), who is required by law to be present in French weddings during the signing of the registry (or however the document is called). The bride too has a "témoin", which I think corresponds to the bridesmaid?

Witnesses have been required for Catholics since at least the Council of Trent (mid 16th century).

Last edited:

Telergic

Overwriting
Registered
Reaction score
As far as I understand, the "best man" is what in French is called a "témoin" (witness), who is required by law to be present in French weddings during the signing of the registry (or however the document is called). The bride too has a "témoin", which I think corresponds to the bridesmaid?

Witnesses have been required for Catholics since at least the Council of Trent (mid 16th century).

Thanks! That's very helpful.

rosehips

Mr. Boo is watching you.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.upwork.com
I've been to dozens of weddings in the Burgundy area (it may vary elsewhere). It is correct to have two witnesses to the wedding, but there's no expectation that either be male. You also can involve family members or friends in the wedding ceremony, by doing a reading from the Bible or leading a hymn or whatnot. But no actual best man. You also have a "cortege" of children all dressed alike.

It's traditional for there to be speeches at the reception, but anyone invited to it can give one, as far as I know, and the witnesses are not required to in any way. It's often family members known for being outgoing and funny who take it on.