Need help from Savy New Yorkers, Please!

Elaine Margarett

High and Dry
Registered
Reaction score
Just found out we have to drive from MD to a business meeting on Madison Ave on Friday. Neither my hubby or I are familiar with the city (eek!). I'm thinking our best bet would be to drive up Thursday afternoon and stay at a hotel outside the city, then take a train into Manhattan and then a taxi to Madison Ave.

Please...any suggestions? I don't want to take our car into the city and worry about finding our way around or even a place to park.

cray

Superior Life form
Registered
Reaction score
if train all the way is an option for you that's what i'd do.

i have no idea where you are but taking the train from baltimore or DC to NYC is snap.

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
Traffic is going to suck on a Friday. Any day, really, but especially Fridays, and especially during the holiday season.

Another vote for skipping the car completely and taking a train to NY.

What info are you looking for? Hotels, restaurants, subway?

Elaine Margarett

High and Dry
Registered
Reaction score
Hubby wants to drive up Thursday for his meeting on Friday. I was thinking we should find a hotel in New Jersey and then he could take the train into the city and then a cab to his appointment. Meeting is located at 300 Madison Ave. One hotel I checked out had a free shuttle to Times Square. Another hotel said it was within walking distance to the train station.

We were told that the meeting location was near Grand Central Station. I was wondering what would be the preferred place to stay in Jersey. Hoboken? North Bergan?

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
I would try for Jersey City or Hoboken.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Hubby wants to drive up Thursday for his meeting on Friday. I was thinking we should find a hotel in New Jersey and then he could take the train into the city and then a cab to his appointment. Meeting is located at 300 Madison Ave. One hotel I checked out had a free shuttle to Times Square. Another hotel said it was within walking distance to the train station.

We were told that the meeting location was near Grand Central Station. I was wondering what would be the preferred place to stay in Jersey. Hoboken? North Bergan?

It'd be so much easier, I'd think, to just take the train the entire way.

If you want to do Thursday - I wouldn't stay in Jersey. I'd never stay in Jersey, honestly. A shuttle to Times Square on a Friday could take you god knows how long. The other day there was a 90-minute delay on I think everything in from Jersey and it wasn't Friday.

If you really don't want to stay in the city, try a hotel in Brooklyn or like Astoria, Queens. Much simpler - you're only taking the subway in.

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
Ahem. The Bedbug Registry.

"The New York metro area has the worst infestation in the United States, with over 4000 bed bug reports."

You can check the hotels in a lot of other cities too, depending on where you decide to stay.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not a New Yorker, just a visitor, but if it were my call, I'd stay in the city in any of the hotels near the train station. That way, you're depending not on public transit but on your own two feet to make it to scheduled appointments and events.

Of course, Manhattan hotels are not cheap, and that may be a factor. Definitely nix any idea of driving into the city, though. Traffic can be unbearable, and there are times when no matter how much you're willing to spend, you cannot find a place to park.

Maryn, who always takes the train in

Elaine Margarett

High and Dry
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks all!

Great suggestions and thank you for the Bedbug Link!! Meeting got postponed so now I have the time to thoroughly check out how to get in and out of the city, and get Mr. Margarett's suit dry cleaned. :)