March 2006 Goals

Arisa81

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
pacificpurple.blogspot.com
I decided to post this a couple days early, because I don't seem to get here much during the week. So, here it goes, March 2006 goals. This year is just flying.
My goals:

:heart: Write a children's story
:heart: Write 12 new poems to submit (3 each week)
:heart: Make progress on my poetry book (begin editing poems, sorting them as best as possible and writing new ones)
:heart: Write 4 new articles/quizzes
:heart: Write 2 new batches of short greetings

KAM

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kimberlymills.ca
1) Write another 20,000 words.
2) Get out of the house and have some fun.
e2bear.gif

Talia

Contract Killer
Registered
Reaction score
April - that sounds really interesting writing quizzes and other things. I've never thought of doing that, it must get your brain working hard hehe

gee you guys have really ambitious goals. i haven't set mine yet but i will mull it over and see what i think is realistic...

DamaNegra

Mexican on the loose!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fictionpress.com
My goals for this March:

- Finish the seventh first draft of my WIP
- Win at least one of the three contests I entered (wish me luck)
- Enter another contest
- Write at least 4 short stories
- Pass my Analytical Geometry class!!

Kudra

Back and on track
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.TheInternationalFreelancer.com
KAM, can I come too? :D

Here are my goals for March:

-> Send out 10 new proposals.
-> Get out of the city (hopefully, on assignment).
-> Finish all current assignments.
-> Break into one new magazine.

Good luck, everyone!

maggie2

Registered
Reaction score
My goals for March

1. Get my cover to Booksurge and get it ready to go
2. Finish my press kit.
3. Get an outline of my marketing plan ready

JenNipps

Have you JHS today?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenifernipps.com
Arisa, I definitely have to agree with you about the year flying.

Since I didn't do much at all on my February goals, they will carry over to March. I won't berate myself over not doing any of them. February has been a busy month. (Like March won't be? There'll be twins in our family before the end of the month!)

Anyway, to restate, here are my goals for March.

1. Write the next two chapters of Blue Jeans & Tennis Shoes.
2. Write the next chapter of Confessions of a Fat Chick.
3. Resume researching article and book markets and agents.
4. Resume sending out a minimum of two queries a week.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
1. Finish my WIP
2. Edit Euniq & [insert title here]
3. Start querying one of them
4. Start something new

Arisa81

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Hello everyone -

We're 8 days in now, how are you doing?
I am doing wonderfully with my goals. I am keeping up with the 3 poems/week. I have begun a children's story that I may actually finish :tongue
The poetry book is coming along, although progress really could be better.
I've gotten 3 rejections so far this week which is a bit of a bummer, but I would rather hear something than nothing at all.

So, how are you all doing?

Talia

Contract Killer
Registered
Reaction score
hmmm well i have revised my approach to my book so that's making this whole thing tricky

first it was going to be fact based with a bit of my personal experience in it

then it was going to be a personal diary but loosely based around some of the headings i had in the first book

now i looked at it and i think it will be personal but still insert facts so ahem. i wonder if it was such a good idea to plunder the first manuscript??? i'm a bit stuck. i kept the old one intact as a copy. BUT because the new one has had the copied bits edited and played with i can't entirely remember which bits are additional. oh boy this is going to be a challenge!

so my goal for the month is to sort out this mess! basically i have to copy and paste all the stuff from the first fact based ms into the personal diary and maybe even end up with a lot of the same headings!! once that's done i will read it and review. so i'll call that my first draft

yup that's my goal; a rough draft of the ms!

Talia

Contract Killer
Registered
Reaction score
arisa i agree it's much better to get a rejection than not hear. i hate it when you wait months and every time you ring they give you a little bit of hope and then you get a standard rejection letter lol. actually that's happened to me a lot. they'd say it's going to this committee or that and then the book would come back with a little note - not right for our market.

very hard to get it just right with books.

oh and i still want to keep my sanity for the month - that is goal #1 :D
draft of the book = #2

Talia

Contract Killer
Registered
Reaction score
sorry one more question arisa

what sort of quizzes do you write? do you mean like the sort that are in magazines? crosswords and games? or quizzes like in cosmopolitan - is he really in love with you type stuff?

Arisa81

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Talia --
Mostly I write quizzes for teen magazines. "Are you trustworthy?" "Are you a good friend?" etc.

I also have made a change to my writing goals. As it happens, children's writing was not something I seemed to be enjoying. It seemed to be a stuggle to even get myself to think about it, so I decided to put that aside and focus on the other things. One day I may get back to children's writing.

Talia

Contract Killer
Registered
Reaction score
wow april that sounds cool! do you have a psychology degree or do you use common sense with writing the quizzes? i never realised they paid people for them. i just presumed that they got one of their journos to throw something together

i have written quizzes but more for research purposes. from time to time i post them on my website when i am looking for info. also you can use the results of the quizzes for PR. send them along to newspapers etc to let them know you're an expert in the topic and tell people stuff.

can i ask how much it pays? i could see if any of the NZ or Australian magazines are interested. also do you retain copyright to sell to other magazines or give 1 year exclusive use???

good to find out what you don't enjoy it allows you to focus on the other things

i have cut and post everything into one document. so that's 27,500 words. next i have to read it and make it into a draft and check the chapter headings etc and work out which ones need more material or should be deleted altogether

Arisa81

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Talia --
Nope, I don't have a degree or anything. I just write stuff that makes sense really. Study some quizzes online or in your local magazines.
Payment depends on the place. With my regular place, I get $50/quiz and they run no more than 500 words. I also sold a quiz to Girl's Life (www.girlslife.com) for $75 for their website. I think that for their magazine, they pay $300. Someone else might be able to back that up. As for rights, those also depend on the place.
Hope this helps you a little bit. And good luck. :)

--April

Talia

Contract Killer
Registered
Reaction score
thanks

HEY THANKS FOR THAT INFO kitkat and april.

i will put that on my little list. i have lots of quizzes i have created at various times so i will see if i can get into that. i am not in US but hopefully they will send drafts out to nonresidents and i can convert it when it arrives. $300 is pretty good i'd be happy with that. $50 is a bit harder to get excited about as a one off but if it was a monthly thing it could be good

goes to show there is a world of possibilities out there! i have a psych degree so it would be good to put some of it into practise LOL

Last edited:

Arisa81

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I still get excited over $50. :tongue I get excited over everything I get. I love making money but I get even more excited seeing my work in print.
$50 can really add up though.
I am in Canada and Mridu is in India so I am sure NZ is no problem at all. Just go for it girl ! :)

Arisa81

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Okay everyone, another Monday is here! How are your goals coming along?
Mine are coming along pretty well. Well, except for the poetry book. I don't know why I can't get my act together on that project. If I don't I will definitely be kicking myself about it later.

So, how is everyone else doing?