Think YOUR job is bad??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
This is what greeted hubby and HIS crew this morning. Talk about a warm fuzzy, especially considering they HAD to climb regardless of the condition. He says he's never encountered a warning label on a tower before. GAWD he needs another job.

Attachments

• Holy CRAP.JPG
    Holy CRAP.JPG
    18.9 KB · Views: 102

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Far out. Why do people think a sign absolves them of any responsibility?

As the old joke goes, "Well, go ahead, son, but if you break your legs, don't come running to me!"

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
It's considered an extremely high risk job to begin with. One of those where the company automatically provides life insurance at no cost.

OSHA does have serious standards that they have to follow unless they want hefty personal fines. I honestly don't know what they would say about that, but considering these sites are inspected regularly, maybe it passed. Which, in itself, is a pretty freakin scary thing!

In this next pic, hubby is at the bottom of an inverted antannae. The tower it built like a 1,400 foot tall "T" and on both sides of the top crossbar, these antannaes hang unside down. He had to go to the top of the tower, climb out across the T at the top and then lower himself down the big orange antennae. See? He DOES need another job! (know what's freakier? Hubby is not the only one at the bottom of that antennae. There's another guy there with him! There wasn't even room enough for both of them to stand. The other guy is hanging in his belt. If you look close, you can see his feet and legs dangling)

Attachments

• without a net!.jpg
    without a net!.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
By the way - regarding having to climb. They do because they are the ones who repair those suckers. Someone's gotta get up there if it's gonna be fixed.

There's a relatively new website devoted to the guys who do this sort of work. There's some pretty awesome pics on it. (if you click on these links, please know that there's music on the pages..and it doesn't load very well.

http://towerdog.com/

http://www.towerdog.com/towerdogForum/photos/tower_pictures/picture59.aspx

http://towerdog.com/twrdog_011.htm

http://www.towerdog.com/towerdogForum/photos/towerdogs/picture94.aspx

(that one is hubby - on that same tower where he's on the antennae. This time he is only 600 feet up, but he brought along a *toy*)

Last edited:

clintl

Represent.
Registered
Reaction score
My acrophobia kicks in if I have to get on the roof of my one-story house.

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Brave dude. Jeez, I get freaked out just being in those glass elevators in some hotels. I can't even imagine...

AdamH

Pumped Up Kicks
Registered
Reaction score
"Substandard leg-flange welds"? I've got no idea what leg-flange means but I do know "substandard" and that's not cool.

Kind of reminds of how I heard once that NASA contracts the building of their rockets to the lowest bidder. That sort of thing instills a lot of confidence in the system. You'd think that no matter what's being built you'd expect the government to foot the bill to get the best guy possible, not the cheapest.

All I can say is Wow!

DamaNegra

Mexican on the loose!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fictionpress.com
I think a leg-flange wield is that thing sticking out of the pole where you put your hands and legs to climb. I wouldn't go a mile within a tower with that sign on it.

What beats me is that people put a sign instead of fixing the substandard thingies.

Cassie88

Make mine a double entendre
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, they've been getting away with ..not safe to go down.... not what? Not safe to go up, either?!

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
Maddwriter said:
Kind of reminds of how I heard once that NASA contracts the building of their rockets to the lowest bidder. That sort of thing instills a lot of confidence in the system. You'd think that no matter what's being built you'd expect the government to foot the bill to get the best guy possible, not the cheapest.

I heard that in the movie Armageddon. ~laughing~

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
geez, and all this time I thought 'air guitar' meant something else...

StoryG27

Miss Behave
Registered
Reaction score
Maddwriter said:
Kind of reminds of how I heard once that NASA contracts the building of their rockets to the lowest bidder.

My husband has a whole list of Murphy's Laws of Combat. And number six on that list is:
Remember, your weapon was made by the lowest bidder.

Jaycinth

Your Cuddly Sociopathic
Registered
Reaction score
OMG Heights!!!!

Carole, how do you avoid spending 110% of each and every day with your heart in your mouth worried to..everything!!!!!

I can't even really look at those towers, imaging climbing one. I guess i won;t be eating lunch today.

Scary scary scary!!!!!.

So my job isn't that bad.....

PattiTheWicked

Unleashing Hell.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pattiwigington.com
Somehow, having cell phone service doesnt' seem that important after looking at what these guys have to do just to provide me with the ability to order a pizza while driving down the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.