• Read this: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?288931-Guidelines-for-Participation-in-Outwitting-Writer-s-Block

before you post.

Really stuck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryon

Gurgling from the bottom!
Registered
Reaction score
A cold dark place, where Nor'easters hit.
Website
bryondecker.wix.com
I have written two books and now in the middle of writing not one but two sequels. Also, I must be a masochist, I have two others started. I can't seem to concentrate on the one I really need to finish. As I did start to write I have another idea pop up! Any suggestions?

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
I keep a notebook on me when I'm working on a project. When inspiration on another project strikes, I whip out the notebook and write it down. Then, I go back to whatever I'm supposed to be working on right then.

What is your goal?
What do you have to do to achieve that goal?

For me, my goal is to publish a series of UF novels. In order to do that, I have to get book 1 as perfect as I can. That means when I'm editing on book 1 and an idea for book 2 or 3, or another story entirely strikes me, I have to make myself focus back on the things I have to do in order to achieve the long-term goal. Thus, the notebook.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, keep track of your ideas. No need to jump from one to the next as long as you are sure they're stored somewhere for when you're ready to explore and work on them.

I'm really stuck too but have not been anywhere near as productive as you while getting to this point. :D But it sounds like the creative excitement part is waning on the pieces that need polishing, so you get pulled into the new ideas instead?

I reckon sometimes, if we are going to be serious about this craft, we have to exert discipline and do the slogging work of completing and editing and polishing and re-writing and all that stuff that many seem to find less than happy happy joy joy.

:D

ETA: Cross posted with you, Myrea, and you're saying somewhat the same as I did only from more experience, it sounds like.

Last edited:

Kerosene

Your Pixie Queen
Registered
Reaction score
I keep a notebook on me when I'm working on a project. When inspiration on another project strikes, I whip out the notebook and write it down. Then, I go back to whatever I'm supposed to be working on right then.

Same thing I do. I've got a long document of ideas that I just keep adding to while I work on my current one.

After that, it's all about finishing the project at hand (or at least the first draft) before moving onto the next story.

Bryon

Gurgling from the bottom!
Registered
Reaction score
A cold dark place, where Nor'easters hit.
Website
bryondecker.wix.com

What is your goal?
What do you have to do to achieve that goal?

For me, my goal is to publish a series of UF novels. In order to do that, I have to get book 1 as perfect as I can. That means when I'm editing on book 1 and an idea for book 2 or 3, or another story entirely strikes me, I have to make myself focus back on the things I have to do in order to achieve the long-term goal. Thus, the notebook.

I have tried that, but then I get consumed with plots and characters. This is while I'm trying to write the other.

My goal is to publish my Russ Logan series. I have the first book out there. I also feel that my other novel needs a sequel, that will be it on that brand book one and book two. Then my head jumps to a dystopian story or even a fantasy book. Now I have another idea creeping in. Aaargh!

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
Nothin' to it but to do it, Bryon.

It's hard. Believe me, I know how hard it is.

It's also incredibly simple. It's a matter of deciding what is most important to you and taking the steps you have to take in order to achieve that.

Sometimes, I think the simple habits are the hardest to establish. Like "eat less and exercise" or "just don't light that cigarette."

But they are also the most worthwhile, so you keep trying until you make it work.

Beaviz81

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Just wait it out. The best thing you can do is hitting the gym in my experience and then think about what caused you to get the writer's block. Then you can try to train it out.

benluby

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Rewards for work done. If you are finishing your current WIP, whether that means writing more on it, editing or proofing for the umpteenth time, then your schedule should have a set schedule.
"I must write XXX words today before I am allowed to deviate and fiddle with Project 3," or some such.
That way you are making progress on the one you need to finish, rather than having a garage full of partial/first drafts, with fifteen projects scattered on your screen that you are currently working on, knowing in the back of your mind that, soon, you're going to have to rent a storage building because you can't even park a Smartie in that two car garage anymore...

NEWriter

Cautious but not yet jaded.
Registered
Reaction score
I have written two books and now in the middle of writing not one but two sequels. Also, I must be a masochist, I have two others started. I can't seem to concentrate on the one I really need to finish. As I did start to write I have another idea pop up! Any suggestions?

I totally feel your pain! When the going gets tough, I jump to another project. I'm embarrassed to admit I have WIPs with as many as 80K words that I've abandoned because I got stuck. Right now, I'm working on a WIP from 2012 that I abandoned at 58K words because I got stuck. I'm learning to write through writers block and stay the course on one project before I start a new one. It's tough. Good luck to you, Bryon.

Serene09

Registered
Reaction score

Yup, I have separate notebooks for separate projects, but this is because I could never spend too much time on one project. My mind always wanders.

mattbmaine

Registered
Reaction score
Write down everything that comes to you, and you will start writing and will overcome it

Chris_tine

Writer & Marketer in the making
Registered
Reaction score
I feel for you and wish you all the best with your WIP. I find myself wondering about new story plots and scenes and to keep a notebookat hand is always the best solution. I also find it easier to write in paper than straight on the laptop, somehow the words seem to flow better. I am currently working on two different stories but find it quite difficult to make the necessary time for both so probably will end up forcing myself to finish one before fully concentrating in the other. Which one to pick? That is the tricky question!

Status
Not open for further replies.