A Tale of Two E-readers

Status
Not open for further replies.

turningpoint

Registered
Reaction score
So B&N had a sale- a nook for $40. Although I have an iPad that includes nook and kindle, I couldn't resist. I think because I only put the ebooks I've written on amazon and I was contemplating branching out to B&N. I wanted to see what the reader's experience was like.
I so wanted to like the nook. Everything looked good- nice shape, handling, easy to read (during the day at least for the $40 one.) Then I started shopping. Whoa-virtually every book I looked at was less expensive on Amazon. Many books weren't even available for the Nook. I can see why B&N might loose the war. I wanted to like the whole experience. I like that the Nook is a dedicated reader and I don't get distracted to surfing the web while reading. But the prices and selection were poor relative to the vast options Amazon has. It seems so clear that Nook is only for B&N. This makes it seem like they should just give the device away with the purchase of an expensive book.
Do any other ebook writers explore this way? Thoughts? Just curious.

Last edited:

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
I think there was some research recently showing Amazon isn't really cheaper on average - it's cheaper on some books, more expensive on others - but I'd imagine they probably skew the loss-leaders towards the most popular titles.

But here's how as a reader you can simplify your life:

1. Buy ebooks from the cheapest vendor
2. Strip DRM from said ebooks
3. Read ebooks in your preferred app or ereader

Of course, (2) may be illegal in your jurisdiction. (Not that anybody is ever going to do you for it.)

My shopping for ebooks generally goes:

(1) Anywhere other than Amazon or iBooks
(2) Amazon, should there be compelling savings.
(3) iBooks, because removing the DRM is a pain compared to Kindle/Adobe

turningpoint

Registered
Reaction score
# 2. is a mystery to me. Is it possible to read books from other sources on the Nook? It makes sense about the loss leaders, but I was scrolling through classics as well. What's frustrating is that you can often find a used book for a penny on Amazon when you would rather have it in ebook form. What will happen to ebooks on a Nook if B&N goes under?

FionnJameson

Fionn: 0/Year: 24
Registered
Reaction score
I have a nook tablet that I love to death but their bookstore isn't as good as amazon. You can use calibre to load your books on it. I have two different Kindle, the nook tablet and a Kobo reader and I use them all for checking my book formatting.

Literateparakeet

Nerdy Budgie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lesliesillusions.blogspot.com
TurningPoint, I recently caved in and bought a used Kindle Touch. I have been a Nook owner for a couple years, and I love my Nook--but--my experience is similar to yours. The ebooks always seem to cost less on amazon, some books aren't available on Nook at all, and almost all the free books are on amazon. It's also easier to get books from the library on a Kindle.

Sigh...I still love my Nook though.

K.B. Parker

I've lost my mind
Registered
Reaction score
I have a Kindle HDX under the christmas tree. I'll always prefer paper copies but a lot of the self published and Indie titles I want to read are very cheap and sometimes free on Amazon.

We will see, just maybe I'll convert.

Ann Joyce

It's all about grace
Registered
Reaction score
My hubby bought me a Kindle Fire last Christmas and I think I thank him at least once a week. I LOVE it! I resisted reading books that way but wanted one when I put my own novel on Amazon. I'll usually load it up with books (50 or so at a time) so when I get into one of my reading frenzies that just might keep me happy for a couple of months.

Juliet Rich

Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to stick by my old and true blue (technically 'red', though more technically 'pink') Sony Pocket Reader. The only disadvantage is I've filled it up. :)

If Amazon ever starts handing out Kindles for free, I'll get one, but I definitely prefer EPUB as a format.

Status
Not open for further replies.