Monkey gouged out eye in forest, details

jaus tail

Banned
Reaction score
In my story, two guys are stuck in a forest. A group of monkeys attack them and gouge out one eye of one fellow.

Is it possible for him to survive without any medical aid for a day, till the other fellow helps him out of the forest?

Is it possible for the bleeding to stop, and him to be able to walk on his own?

wendymarlowe

writer, mother, geek
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Not with *no* medical aid, no. But if he had a way to pack the eye socket with something sterile (like gauze) and keep constant pressure on it, he might stand a chance.

jaus tail

Banned
Reaction score
In the forest the maximum objects he can get to cover the socket would be a leaf or his own shirt.

CWatts

down the rabbit hole of research...
Registered
Reaction score
Spider webs have been used to slow bleeding and as makeshift bandages for centuries.

Channy

Me Gusta
Registered
Reaction score
There actually probably wouldn't be very much bleeding. Depending on what we're talking about (did the monkey stab a stick into the eye and puncture it, or did he steal it by popping it out of the socket?). If it's the latter, then the man would surely live and there likely wouldn't be much bleeding. Sure, it's a socket and raw flesh holding the eyeball, but there aren't any major arteries inside. It'd be like ripping off a fingernail. It would hurt a heck of a lot, but he'd live no problem and walk okay.

It the monkey stabbed something into the eye, it'd be excurtiatingly painful, sure, but he'd live no problem. Same with the bleeding, as there aren't a lot of blood vessels in your eye. But if the monkey stabbed something through the ocular cavity and into the brain, then he'd be dead. But it would probably take quite a bit of force to puncture through.

jaus tail

Banned
Reaction score
Just reading your reply made me feel sorry for the character. But thanks a lot. The response was indeed helpful.

Have a great day ahead everyone..

Channy

Me Gusta
Registered
Reaction score
No problemo. If you really want to go for authenticity, dealing with monkeys and men... if a monkey gets a hold of you (man), it'll rip off your balls. Second, bite off your face/nose.. Monkeys can do a lot of damage facial wise with how strong they are and I think they're often underestimated. Depending on how many monkeys you have ambushing your characters and their resources, you may want to review it.