PDA

View Full Version : What would you do with $15.5M

maestrowork
02-26-2006, 09:49 PM
If you won the Powerball or something?

And none of that "invest the money" or "buy a big house" or "travel around the world" crap. Everyone does that. Be original. What would you really do -- what would be your deepest, darkest, most selfish... desires?

AdamH
02-26-2006, 09:51 PM
Turn it into gold coins so I can swim around in it like Scrooge McDuck.

Maryn
02-26-2006, 10:02 PM
I would take a couple million to buy two homes (summer and winter) and furnish them to my liking, buy fine clothes and every book I've drooled over.

Then I really would start a charitable foundation. I'd pick a few pet causes where my $13 million applied locally could have a huge impact, probably in the inner city where there are too many moms with six kids with no fathers, no job, and no education. Then I'd sit back disgustingly pleased with myself for having made a positive difference in the world.

Maryn, who makes herself sick sometimes

Edit to add: And I'd pay someone to de-clutter my study, my closet, and our basement. (Anybody want a job?)

Haggis
02-26-2006, 10:05 PM
Hire a PI to track down the idiot who almost totaled my parked car in a hit-and-run last weekend. Then spend the balance of the money finding ways to ruin his life.

Or maybe I'll just invest, buy a big house, and travel around the world.

DamaNegra
02-26-2006, 10:17 PM
Buying my school and firing all the inept teachers that infest it. Or maybe buy myself three hundred pound of trompo and a guy to make the tacos for me, yummy!! :D

Shadow_Ferret
02-26-2006, 10:48 PM
But I really would invest it and live off the interest. I'm not a man of material needs. In fact, I'd take my 1996 Pontiac Sunfire and merely have all the maintenance I've been putting off taken care of. I'd have a new sound system installed. A new paint job. See if they can add a turbo. New Riccaro seats.

And a really nice Home Theater system.

OneTeam OneDream
02-26-2006, 10:55 PM
I would buy a minor league baseball team and make myself the manager.

Minor league baseball teams go for about 3-5 mil, so I'd still have some left over.

ChaosTitan
02-26-2006, 11:07 PM
Pay off all the accumulated debt (credit cards, student loans, repair bills, etc) of myself, my sister, my parents, my grandparents on both sides, and my best friend.

I'd buy a real house for my parents, because the trailer park they live in is destined to be sold and bulldozed in about ten years. I'd buy a house for my brother, who is soon to be divorced, and pay for a real good divorce lawyer. Then I'd find a much nicer apartment to rent, because I'm not sure where I want to live yet, so buying myself a house would be silly.

I would have every necessary repair done to my car to keep it going. I love my car, but it needs major work. Then I would buy an auto repair shop, so anything else I'd ever need done would be free. :D

I would pay for my parents to take a driving trip across the country, because it's all my dad talks about anymore. I'd send my sister on a vacation to Los Angeles, because she wants to go and can't afford it. Then I would take my entire crew of now-twentysomethings high school friends to Australia on my dime (we've been talking about a trip for years, but we're all poor, so....).

I'd end up spending most of it on other people. I would hate myself if I spent that much money on myself. Makes me wonder how people like Tom Hanks and Matt Damon (who are bazillionaires) sleep at night.

Probably on mattresses stuffed with hundred dollar bills. :cry:

eldragon
02-26-2006, 11:11 PM
For starters, I'd buy up the biggest piece of land I could find, and build that house you don't want to hear about, right smack dab in the center of it. That way I'd never had to see anyone if I didn't want to.

Then, I would make sure my kids futures were set financially, same for my mother and sister; neice & nephews. (Whom I haven't seen or heard from in years.)

Then, I'd set up several scholarship foundations. For instance, I know a girl who is working her way through college. She was a very good basketball player in junior college, but isn't allowed to even try out for the team at MSU, because she doesn't have health insurance. The girl can't afford it (who can?). Her mom died when she was 11, and she doesn't know her dad. She is still working full time towards her degree to become to a coach, which I totally admire.

I'd like to help students fulfill dreams, when red tape and burocratic BS gets in the way.

Since I love to volunteer, I'd do alot of volunteering.

And I'm sure my new house would have lots of wheelchair ramps because many of my best friends live in a nursing home. I'd move them to my place, so I wouldn't have to go so far to see them.

BlueTexas
02-26-2006, 11:11 PM
I'd pay someone to clean my house and grocery shop. Then I'd open a no-kill animal shelter. And I'd probably keep doing the charitable work the company I work for sponsors.

I don't think I'm high-maintenance enough to be rich.

But, can you imagine the library you could amass with 15.5M?

tiny
02-26-2006, 11:22 PM
I would build a new studio with an Anagama kiln, two gas kilns, a salt kiln, plus a great big electric kiln I could stand in. There would be clean rooms for chemicals, and one for glazing.

I'd have four or five different wheels so that I could work in different clays without cleaning insanely. And I'd buy all the equipment I want right now but can't fit or afford, including a slab roller, pugmill, ball mill and mixing equipment.

Tons of shelves so I didn't have to shuffle things around anymore to find space. And lots of tables to work on.

I would create a kiln yard surrounded by a lush garden so that when I fired the kilns I could just sit outside in it while I watched that dragon climb... sigh.

William Haskins
02-26-2006, 11:29 PM
buy my soul back.

reph
02-26-2006, 11:35 PM
I'd offer my selfish yuppie next-door neighbors enough money to make them tear down their obscenely large and view-blocking house, which the city-planning department let them expand even though four sets of neighbors objected. I'd hire a lawyer to help freelancers fight City Hall on the local tax issue. (I'm probably going to anyway, but with money to burn, it'd be easier.)

Most of the rest would have to go to charity. There isn't much I want that can be bought.

tiny
buy my soul back.

what would you do with the rest of the money?

BlueTexas
buy my soul back.

If you had a soul, could you still write poetry?

William Haskins
02-26-2006, 11:39 PM
no, but i'd have a reflection in the mirror again.

jdkiggins
02-26-2006, 11:49 PM
Buy an editor to fix my lousy writing. ;)

BlueTexas
02-27-2006, 12:19 AM
no, but i'd have a reflection in the mirror again.

Now that's a scary thought. Didn't someone tell us you had a mullett?

William Haskins
02-27-2006, 12:20 AM
yes, but it was a damnable lie.

BlueTexas
02-27-2006, 12:23 AM
yes, but it was a damnable lie.

Prove it.

(Editing to add: William is officially mullet-less.)

Serenity
02-27-2006, 12:38 AM
Oh my, is this a loaded question. Well, I'd pay off my debt and spread that wealth around to my parents, my grandmother, my roomie (also my best friend) and I would pay *all* the expenses on my brother's upcoming wedding next year. They are pretty much paying for it all themselves and that just ain't right.

I would take my grandmother back to Scotland again and probably spend a month or so travelling around with her and whoever else would like to come. She was born there and has such a wealth of knowledge and stories about the country...

From there, I would go to all those places I've always wanted to go: Ireland, Spain, Egypt, Russia, India, China, Japan, Australia, Anywhere in the South Pacific, Hawaii, Alaska, Take the trans-Canada railway, Prince Edward Isle, Nova Scotia, Down the Eastern Seaboard stopping at various places along the way- just because I can, hit the Carribean, Virgin Islands, Costa Rica, Brazil, Argentina...

And as intriguing as visiting Antarctica might *sound*... too damn cold. Maybe I'll charter a plane and fly over it, look out the window and go 'Oh, that's cool...' before telling the pilot to take me somewhere that the average temperature wouldn't keep a 6-pack iced over...

When I got back, I'd trade in my car for something fun (fun for me :P) like a Honda CRV. I like to look at the sportscar stuff, but owning one....? Don't think so, although my dream car has always been a '65 Corvette Stingray- black exterior, burgandy interior...

The rest, and you know there would be 'the rest', would go to set up scholarships for various people. My initial college experience was due in a very large part to scholarships that I received from local businesses in my home town. But not only scholarships for college, but for other 'high school' experiences too, like exchange programs (something else I benefitted from in school) or to update a school computer lab, bring state of the art technology to children who would never otherwise see it. Update, add to or even establish well-run music programs in schools that don't have it, or need improvements. I played 'Cello for 10 years of my life and had the incredible opportunity to play in Carnegie Hall once. Even if you *hate* classical music, I dare you to not be awed while sitting up on the stage there. Words haven't been invented yet for me... I want children to experience that 'awe' too.

Finally, I'd pay to have a story, a series of stories really, written by a friend of mine made into a movie, a tv series... whatever she wanted, because, well, *damn* they're good! And I would pay whatever it cost to bank the actors she wants too, because they're perfect for the parts. :D Ok, the last part might take me over my limit a 'tad', but it'd be worth going back into debt for it... I'll just have to hit the lotto again.

William Haskins
02-27-2006, 12:42 AM
not to draw a dark cloud over this fun little discussion, but last week, just prior to drawing for the big powerball jackpot, i saw a stat that said if you drive 1 mile to buy your ticket, you have better odds of dying in a car crash during that trip than you do of winning.

tiny
02-27-2006, 12:44 AM
You're just a big ray of sunshine.

William Haskins
02-27-2006, 12:47 AM
i do my best.

roach
02-27-2006, 12:54 AM
Use the money to peaceably undermine the status quo. Something like giving money to poor families as down payments on homes. Putting together funds to help start up publications in their first year(s). Fund grants for poor students. Set up a fund to send writers to conventions who might otherwise not be able to afford it. Set up a fund to provide health care to those who don't have it. Stuff like that.

Oh and buy books (for myself, the status quo right now is that I don't have enough).

stormie
02-27-2006, 01:11 AM
Buy tons of books. Build a room for them. No, forget the room. Build a house for the books--my own private library. Buy subscriptions to all the magazines and newspapers I like. Write (can't stop). Maybe write about winning the powerball.

And buy tons of Mallomars.

tiny
02-27-2006, 01:19 AM
i do my best.

Could you try a little harder, you're scaring the children.

William Haskins
02-27-2006, 01:20 AM
they have to learn some time.

motormouth
02-27-2006, 01:50 AM
cut out the middle man!

tiny
02-27-2006, 02:14 AM
they have to learn some time.

William Haskins, teacher of life to happy-go-lucky children, so that they may join adults in the real world where everything is not sh!ts and giggles... I think you might have taught one of the classes I failed.

William Haskins
02-27-2006, 03:00 AM
wow. that's hateful, too. you're on a roll.

September skies
02-27-2006, 03:14 AM
Besides get myself a big house with lots of bedrooms, I'd help our our local high school, specifically the band. And I'd try to renovate and beautify our downtown area -- add a Sizzler (steak house) to liven it up.

If there was plenty left over, I'd buy a really nice and fancy scoreboard for our baseball club.

tiny
02-27-2006, 03:25 AM
wow. that's hateful, too. you're on a roll.

Thank you. I've been taking lessons.

brokenfingers
02-27-2006, 03:32 AM
I'd disappear.

tiny
02-27-2006, 03:36 AM
I'd disappear.

I ain't scared (I run real fast).

brokenfingers
02-27-2006, 03:51 AM
Probably get me a massive luxury villa on the west coast too, for when I'm in between exotic world travels.

Pthom
02-27-2006, 04:06 AM
Fifteen-and-a-half million dollars isn't enough.

Jean Marie
02-27-2006, 04:16 AM
not to draw a dark cloud over this fun little discussion, but last week, just prior to drawing for the big powerball jackpot, i saw a stat that said if you drive 1 mile to buy your ticket, you have better odds of dying in a car crash during that trip than you do of winning.
wow, next time it gets that high, I'll see if I can trick my ll into going to buy one.

aadams73
02-27-2006, 04:20 AM
Hmm...pay to have the few people I truly hate killed, then disappear to Europe with the rest. :D

maestrowork
02-27-2006, 05:52 AM
I'd start a production company and start making quality independent films between $1M to $2M budget, each. Support the arts. I have a few pet causes that could use some money. The rest is just boring stuff like giving money to charities, friends, investments, traveling, etc. I'd probably start a small publishing company as well.

September skies
02-27-2006, 07:10 AM
I'd buy Publish America -- just to put them out of business

Jcomp
02-27-2006, 07:24 AM
I'd use it as start up money for an entertainment company. Make a low budget flick, hopefully a gem. Win an award, kiss Halle Berry before accepting, thank some little people, get forced off stage by orchestral music, kiss Halle again as I exit, get slapped and find her even hotter because I'm secretly into gorgeous women slapping me. Mmmmm....

blisswriter
02-27-2006, 11:50 AM
But, can you imagine the library you could amass with 15.5M?

Oh God, yes!

I would leave the country with my money. Then I would know for sure that none of my in-laws could drop by or call to beg. :tongue

Jo
02-27-2006, 12:35 PM
What would you do with $15.5M

Is that American Dollars?

Lemme see. That'd be about $20 990 181.35 Australian. Cool.

So... I could maybe lock some of the money away in American Dollars, some in Euros, some in United Kingdom Pounds... (and a few other currencies) and spend some of the AUD's on searching for my father. I would also spend it on local and overseas real estate so I could travel the world with my family (more money there), but still feel "at home". Oh, and build a go-kart track and bowling alley (combined) for my hubby.

Moondancer
02-27-2006, 03:15 PM
I have to use the word invest but I would invest it in my business to provide jobs for more people.

oswann
02-27-2006, 04:54 PM
Undergo heavy plastic surgery so my avatar looks exacty like Jenna's, then become an evil clone giving strange advice to aspiring writers turning hopeful and talented people into confused idiots.

Hey, you asked the question.

Os.

Jaycinth
02-27-2006, 06:17 PM
(Yet Maestrowork has asked us what we would do in our deepest darkest secretest wishes.)

So, I'd fly my good friend to Mexico so he could get a kidney transplant...I guess I'd have to buy the kidney, too. Then, I'd make sure some of the money was in a trust fund for payment for the anti rejection drugs ( Over $1,000.00 a month!) and then when he is up and around and back on his Harley, I'd give him the names of all the lying!%%#&@*#($*!?!!!!!???%##$>*** who've hurt my feeling this past year, and put a lawyer on retainer.

Then I'd buy a chocolate bar and a new printer.

$15Mil is not enough!( I guess I'll have to give up the printer!)

IHeartWriting
02-27-2006, 06:31 PM
I'd make a movie. I'd use one of my scripts, but I'd hire everyone else, since I have no desire to act/direct/etc.

I'd put up one of my plays.

I'd open a small publishing company.

And I'd rent an office for writing. And while I'm at my office, I'll have someone in to clean weekly.

PattiTheWicked
02-27-2006, 06:38 PM
I'd buy some land in the Blue Ridge mountains and build a log cabin on a hillside somewhere. Then every morning I could run around nekkid in the field outside my kitchen, go for a dip in the creek, and sneak up on some puzzled deer before spending the day working in my garden and strolling in the woods. Oh yeah, and I'd write too.

I'd probably get some chickens and some sheep, and a horse or two.

I'd also take my family and travel to all the places we want to go -- Scotland, England, Italy, Greece and Egypt.

Then I'd fund a literacy program for kids in rural school districts in Appalachia. I'd also donate money to the local pet rescue programs, and set up a scholarship for the children of firefighters and cops killed in the line of duty.

Then I'd hire Green Day to come play at my birthday party.

robeiae
02-27-2006, 07:12 PM
I'd buy a house next to Johnny Depp's, buy a huge stereo system, point all the speakers at his house, then play the sound track to Cry Baby at maximum volume, twenty four hours a day (just to see what might happen).

Rob :)

AdamH
02-27-2006, 07:21 PM
I'd buy a house next to Johnny Depp's, buy a huge stereo system, point all the speakers at his house, then play the sound track to Cry Baby at maximum volume, twenty four hours a day (just to see what might happen).

:ROFL: Oh Dear Lord, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!