Not open for further replies.

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
And so are some fifty of his readers.

He's writing a novella whilst electrodes track his brain waves. Later, when the novella is published, fifty readers will read the novella while having their brain waves tracked.

Researchers will then crunch the data in the hope of finding patterns that may help illuminate links between the way art is created and enjoyed, and possibly the nature of creativity itself.

It would be interesting (to me) to find out that really good writing causes a mirrored brain activity from writer to reader. No idea what it would mean, mind you, but interesting.

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
*geeks out* That is so very cool!

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
That's awesome! I can't wait to hear the results!

SianaBlackwood

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sb.siasan.com
Cool... but pretty freaky. I'm going to spend the whole day imagining what it would be like to write like that now.

*shivers*

Water dripping down your neck while you write.

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
They've already shown (not in this study; in other ones) that people reading an evocative scene experience the same mental reaction as if they were genuinely experiencing the sensations.

So what's really interesting about this study is whether the author's experience in creating an evocative scene is mirrored in the audience's experience of reading that scene.

However, I seem to recall the former studies were done using MRI, not the skullcap o' dribbly electrodes, so it's possible this study won't provide data that's particularly persuasive. Saying a reader sweated as much as the author isn't as compelling as saying one particular brain region lit up for both people.

Ruth2

Tam, na Koncu Drevoreda
Registered
Reaction score
The quintessential-- "That was good for me. What is good for you?" scenario.

SBibb

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sbibb.wordpress.com
Which draft of the thing will they be recording? Or is he one of those writers who actually turns out something close to the final product on the first draft?

I think this might be the important thing. The question of whether or not the writing process activates the same regions as the reading process, especially since writing usually takes longer than the reading. But if it's a final draft, maybe?

Status
Not open for further replies.