PDA

View Full Version : Have we any firefighters on board?

Nadja V.
11-30-2013, 05:58 PM
I'm writing a story that involves a firefighter who has left the department. At some point I am going to need a few pages looked over to make sure there are no glaring errors. Have been researching everything from equipment to jargon, watching countless helmet-cam videos on YouTube. Alas, I live in a very rural area and chances of coming across a city fireman are slim indeed...

Bufty
11-30-2013, 06:54 PM
Yes, there are folk here with firefighting experience. Not myself.

But what's the question you want answered?

jclarkdawe
11-30-2013, 07:00 PM
She wants someone to wade through a portion of her manuscript to see whether she uses the right words. I don't have the time, so I ignored her.

By the way the only difference between rural firefighters and city firefighters is the city firefighters get paid. Same vocabulary, same training, same toys to play with.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

Williebee
11-30-2013, 07:33 PM
Is the book set in an environment near you? Maybe go see/talk to some firemen? I've found that most professionals, when approached openly, enjoy talking about the work. After a bit of conversation, they relax. That's when you hear the jargon/slang and color that makes them real.

Good luck.

Nadja V.
11-30-2013, 08:04 PM
It's just a two-page scene with a fire where a roof collapses. It's from the POV of one of my main characters, and I just wanted to make sure it is described with some authenticity.

Where I am, there's been nought but a barn fire and a small kitchen fire in the last decade. I'm writing about a FDNY firefighter (I spent my childhood in NYC and developed a fascination with them way back), so it's not quite the same thing...

Myrealana
11-30-2013, 08:08 PM
Watch "Backdraft."

It's a little over-dramatized, but the mechanics of fighting fires is well-researched.

My father, grandfather, uncles and great-uncles were firefighters going back decades. They all vouch for that movie.

Nadja V.
11-30-2013, 08:21 PM
Watch "Backdraft."

It's a little over-dramatized, but the mechanics of fighting fires is well-researched.

My father, grandfather, uncles and great-uncles were firefighters going back decades. They all vouch for that movie.

Thank you...I will re-watch it. BTW, the jargon, or "right words" are easily found; it is only that I don't want the manner in which my fictional unit attacks the fire to seem completely inaccurate.

jclarkdawe
11-30-2013, 08:22 PM
The advantage of being rude is you get the answers faster.

Two pages? Send it to me as a PM, post it on SYW or here, and I'll look at it.

Amount of calls change, experience levels change, but there isn't much difference between a volunteer firefighter and a paid firefighter. We're all professionals.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

Cath
11-30-2013, 09:38 PM
By all means ask questions of our experts, but this isn't the right place to seek readers. Post in Share Your Work if you need input.