Anybody speak Urdu or Hindi or something similar?

gringo

Registered
Reaction score
Website
nmwhitley.com
Hi everyone.

I've just started working on a short story where the main characters are immigrants from Kashmir and Pakistan and I was wondering if anyone could clear up a doubt for me.

To wit: Is it common to use like an honorific-type suffix with people's names when you're talking to them. Like "jan" or "ji" or something? It sounds familiar, like I've read it somewhere but maybe I'm confused or just making it up?

Thanks in advance for the assist, and if you need any Spanish consulting I'm game! :)

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
A lot of my students from that area have nicknames. I don't know if family would call them with a specific honorific, though. But the nicknames thing is rampant.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Exactly. So is that for real, then? I'm not just making it up because it sounds felicitous to my earhole?

I don't think so but you're better off asking someone from there. There is an honorific for grandparents but otherwise I don't know.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Ji is an affectionate honorific used as a suffix by Urdu and Punjabi speakers...and Sikhs of all nationalities. It means "soul".

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

jaus tail

Banned
Reaction score
Ji is used.,
as yes.
Husband to Wife: Did you iron the clothes?
Wife: Ji and I've also made your breakfast.

Also used as Really!?

Husband: I'm sorry I know tomorrow is your birthday and I had promised to take a holiday from work but the boss just called and I've to go for an important meeting tomorrow in another city. Will you please back my bags?

Wife: Ji(disappointed yes)

Jan is for sweetheart.
Husband: Jan, I got these flowers for you.

It's also a term called during sex.
Husband during hugging her and placing his hand on her thighs: Oh babe this is amazing. beep beep beep
Hindi: Bahut mazaa aa raha hai jan. Jan would be equivalent of babe here.

Ji is also used for dear.
Wife: No dear I haven't made dinner today as I've got a party to attend.
Wife: No ji, I haven't made dinner today as I've got a party to attend.

If you add ji after the name of any person, it shows that you respect that fellow.

Mama can be Mamaji.
Papa can be Papaji.

gringo

Registered
Reaction score
Website
nmwhitley.com
Sat nam everybody! :)

Thanks to everyone who responded and especially to Siri Kirpal and jaus tail for the specifics. Hope I can return the favor sometime...