Wanted: Someone to Explain String Theory/Multiverse Hypotheses

Erin Latimer

Stay in and write.
Registered
Reaction score
Hello all!

I'm just starting to research for a new adult sci fi, and I'm starting to really like the idea of multiverses, and alternate time lines and such. I'm also really interested in dark matter and dark energy, and I'm wondering if anyone knows how to explain these things in more detail (in a really simple fashion).

In short, I have to come up with a somewhat plausible way for them to travel between the multiverse. Any tips?

Thanks so much!

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
Hmm. It's not quite what you're asking for, but my husband and co-AW member Richard Garfinkle wrote a physics popularization with his brother, physicist David Garfinkle.

Three Steps to the Universe: From the Sun to Black Holes to the Mystery of Dark Matter gives clear explanations of how we have learned what we know and what we know so far.

I found it clear and fun, and I'm an art major.

Not much alternate universe stuff, though.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
Hello all!

I'm just starting to research for a new adult sci fi, and I'm starting to really like the idea of multiverses, and alternate time lines and such. I'm also really interested in dark matter and dark energy, and I'm wondering if anyone knows how to explain these things in more detail (in a really simple fashion).
There's this three-part Nova series, if you've got three hours to watch it, and/or you could read Brian Greene's book of the same name "The Elegant Universe:"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UV_X2B5OK1I

I don't think that mentions dark matter and dark energy, they're a little bit more recent, but there are descriptions of its effects.

Imagine if the outer planets of the Solar System orbited faster than predicted based on Newton's formulas and the mass of the Sun and other planets. This could be accounted for if you hypothesized extra invisible mass that permeated the whole solar system.

The outer stars of galaxies DO orbit faster than predicted, and the so-called mass that is hypothesized to exist is called Dark Matter - it does not interact in any way with ordinary matter other than gravitationally.

Dark Energy is similarly hypothesized to account not for the expansion of the universe, but for the ACCELERATION of the universe - it's not just expanding, it's expanding at an increasing rate.
In short, I have to come up with a somewhat plausible way for them to travel between the multiverse. Any tips?

Thanks so much!
I'm not so sure about the "plausible" part. Sometimes it's just something with a name such as "the Greene Multiverse Drive" (call it the GMD for short) which operates by suspension of disbelief. For us hard SF fans, plain old FTL travel has the same problem of no really good scientific explanation.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
These would be kind of involved explanations from anyone, that may or may not provide what you're looking for.

Were I you, I'd ask Brian Greene or Neil Degrasse Tyson.

I can't help but post my fave visual representation of dark matter/energy though - it's most of the Universe. The coloured beans are stars, planets, stuff we can see, experience, know exists in a form we understand. :)

scenarios_image_19_small.jpg

ironmikezero

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I faced a similar problem in explaining certain aspects of theoretical physics (String Theory, Membrane Theory, the Multiverse, etc.) so I used a scene in which dialog between an astrophysicist and some curious laymen grossly simplified the concepts. It was obviously important to keep it relatively simple - and of course, one has considerable leeway with fiction.

Here's an excerpt from the scene (OLD BLOOD; Domaine Delafaire, CH 9). The astrophysicist offering the explanation is Dr. Issac "Zack" Johnson...

[FONT=&quot]“Is another reality possible?” Millie asked.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]“Theoretical physics says ‘yes’ – but I’ll need to give you a little background… One of my mentors, Dr. Felix Garibaldi, was involved in reviewing an early draft of the ‘Old Blood’ research. As an astrophysicist he had always held a notion, however whimsical, that some ‘vanished civilizations’ may have simply departed our universe… Debatable phenomena like the Bermuda Triangle and the Dragon’s Triangle had never ceased to fascinate him. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
“At the time, a physicist named John Wheeler coined the term ‘black hole’ to describe a singularity so dense that even light could not escape – of course, Stephen Hawking would later prove that certain radiation did escape… oops, now I digress. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
“Anyway, Dr. G… uh, please forgive me, but that’s what I called him… and quite a few physicists were intrigued by the possibility that black holes were gateways of a sort to another universe. Later study tended to disabuse them of that notion as surviving the trip was quite problematic. The point is that multiple universe theories are quite common in physics. And if we were to further assume that travel between them might be theoretically possible, then how to get there, and back - now that’s the problem.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
“Without going into a complete physics lesson, just let me say that Dr. G, like most physicists, was fascinated with Einstein’s unfinished ‘theory of everything’ – the Holy Grail of physics, the explanation for everything. Sadly, we’re not there yet, but we like to think we’re close. Of course, the 800-pound gorilla in the room is the moment of origin of our universe – the singularity, the big bang. Any theory of everything must be able to explain that… Oh, ‘sorry, I’m getting off point again. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
“There is another theory, formulated by Dr. Richard Feynman, that our universe has more than a single history; multiple histories suggest multiple realities, and it would follow – multiple futures. I know that this sounds confusing, but to a physicist, it makes sense – trust me. By the way, Dr. Feynman won the Nobel, albeit shared, in 1965 for his work in quantum electrodynamics, which led to a new way of thinking about quantum mechanics.”[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
Noting that his audience was beginning to take on that glassy-eyed 1000 yard stare, Zack said, “Oh, quantum theory - I’m getting too deep, aren’t I?”[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
Four heads nodded as one, while Marie, Madeline and Armand snickered.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
“Okay, I’ll cut to the chase… Dr. G was an early proponent of what would become known as ‘string theory’ which holds that matter, the basic objects of our universe, are one-dimensional strings that can vibrate at specific frequencies. He sensed a great potential and struggled with this concept for years. Unfortunately he did not live to see the inherent issues resolved. As one of his students, I endeavored to finish his work. Please bear with me for a moment, as I explain – I promise it will be relatively painless. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
“Most physicists now accept that there are multiple dimensions, perhaps eleven, of space, of time, and even more of mathematical certainty - some of which are infinitesimally small – and, of course, gravity. They further agree that there are essentially five ‘string theories’. When the eleven dimensions, to include gravity, and the five ‘string theories’ are combined in a web of equitable relationships, the results suggest an overall united framework of a single theory called ‘Membrane Theory’, or ‘Brane theory, or ‘M-theory’. M-theory strongly suggests that multiple universes are possible, perhaps even probable – the Multiverse. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
“Of course, the challenge is in finding what will be accepted as tangible proof. And in that regard, there have been some promising developments at research facilities like LIGO… Oh, ‘sorry – the Laser Interferometer Gravitational-Wave Observatory in Livingston, down in South Louisiana - there’s another such facility in Hanford, Washington. If such findings can be corroborated, for example by the scientists who seem to have found the Higgs Boson at the Large Hadron Collider in Cern, Switzerland, we may be much closer to some amazing revelations… I’m sorry – I’m not really at liberty to get into any details – much of the relevant data is considered classified for the present. I’m afraid I could jeopardize my clearance.” [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
“That’s okay – I, for one, wouldn’t understand the details anyway,” Ellen assured the chagrined astrophysicist. “Let’s get back to the good part – now, assuming other universes exist, how would one go there – and hopefully, return?” [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
“Now that’s the real question,” mused Zack, mildly relieved, as he swirled the untouched wine in his glass, “isn’t it? We are in an area of speculation, but it has been suggested that the ‘membrane’ that is our universe touches other ‘membranes’ – other universes - at various locations and times. Try to think of the membrane as a cylindrical curve, in fact, think of it as a torus – a donut shape, but somewhat lumpy. Imagine it in a bag with other donuts, making contact here and there as this cosmic bag is jostled about by the inherent expansion of these universes. If the collision is sufficiently violent, a great deal of energy might be released – perhaps a viable explanation for the singularity, the big bang – and the birth of a new universe. On the other hand, membrane contact might be quite gentle or sticky – they might softly bounce or adhere - perhaps even be drawn to each other under the right circumstances. At each point of contact, it may be possible that matter and/or energy could be passed from one to another. This suggests that travel from one ‘membrane’ to another - from one universe to another - is possible..."
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot](This is one way to do it that worked for me... Just keep it as simple as your plot allows. Best of Luck!)
[/FONT]

Last edited:

Erin Latimer

Stay in and write.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not so sure about the "plausible" part. Sometimes it's just something with a name such as "the Greene Multiverse Drive" (call it the GMD for short) which operates by suspension of disbelief. For us hard SF fans, plain old FTL travel has the same problem of no really good scientific explanation.

This seems to be the thing I'm running up against. Of course, there's also magic in the world (one of the worlds) so I'm thinking that will be what I fall back on for this one. I thought something along the lines of wormholes at first, but this is parallel universes on earth, so the story doesn't stray up into space that much.

Erin Latimer

Stay in and write.
Registered
Reaction score
I faced a similar problem in explaining certain aspects of theoretical physics (String Theory, Membrane Theory, the Multiverse, etc.) so I used a scene in which dialog between an astrophysicist and some curious laymen grossly simplified the concepts. It was obviously important to keep it relatively simple - and of course, one has considerable leeway with fiction.

[/FONT]

Whew! Yeah I'm going to have to figure out how to break this down into even simpler terms. As a layperson just beginning to look into that, roughly half was over my head.

Also, I'm thinking of basing this on the quantum multiverse, so a diversion in events each splitting off into different world. Infinite possibilities. But that makes traveling through the worlds even less probable. Perhaps I can combine the brane multiverse idea with the quantum multiverse so that travel would theoretically be "easier"?

I dunno. Any ideas are welcome. I enjoyed reading your bit. :D Thanks!

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
Hello all!

Thanks so much!

For the multiverse I would suggest that you search for Hugh Everett's original material and for some of the early commentary. It is still a controversial subject, and there are flat denials of the possibility of it, but his origianl papers are available on line, and they are mostly comprehensible to someone with a good understanding of physics.

I am also looking for "a somewhat plausible way for them to travel between the multiverse," but the teory denies any such possibility. One should not let that stop a decent work of fiction. H. Beam Piper wrote a good series in which he ignored the problem, but he wrote some of it before Everett published; I'm not completely sure of when Piper wrote what.

Search for "Hugh Everett papers" and things related.
I have a collection of links and papers, but I can't find them right now.

Everett's interpretation states, in effect, that the entire set of parallel universes is determined, so you'll have to sidestep that in addition to other problems, but there are enough possibilities in the Many Worlds Interpretation that you should be able to do what you want.

Erin Latimer

Stay in and write.
Registered
Reaction score
For the multiverse I would suggest that you search for Hugh Everett's original material and for some of the early commentary. It is still a controversial subject, and there are flat denials of the possibility of it, but his origianl papers are available on line, and they are mostly comprehensible to someone with a good understanding of physics.

I am also looking for "a somewhat plausible way for them to travel between the multiverse," but the teory denies any such possibility. One should not let that stop a decent work of fiction. H. Beam Piper wrote a good series in which he ignored the problem, but he wrote some of it before Everett published; I'm not completely sure of when Piper wrote what.

Search for "Hugh Everett papers" and things related.
I have a collection of links and papers, but I can't find them right now.

Everett's interpretation states, in effect, that the entire set of parallel universes is determined, so you'll have to sidestep that in addition to other problems, but there are enough possibilities in the Many Worlds Interpretation that you should be able to do what you want.

Excellent, thank you! I'll look into the papers, though "someone with a basic understanding of physics" might not exactly describe me.

VERY basic. :D

BDSEmpire

Kindly Bumpkin
Registered
Reaction score
Is the mechanism of travel between the universes really important to the story? Does this mechanism show up in the plot again? Is there a battle for this mechanism to hop between the universes or are you just hoping to get your protagonists over to where the fun stuff occurs?

If it's the latter, take a cue from Edgar Rice Burroughs and his John Carter of Mars series - wish upon a freakin' star. Oh sure, John Carter had to be in the right location and there was some goofy astral projection hoo-ha but mostly just close your eyes and *poof* you are there. How does it work? Who cares, lookit all them multi-armed aliens and seductive princesses that need saving!

If you're not writing hard sci fi then I don't think you need to worry too much about the details of modern physics or what we know about the universe. Do you have fun characters that jump off the page? Do you have a story that takes us on an emotional roller-coaster ride? Are we transported by your prose to strange new worlds of intrigue and romance (or dastardly danger)? Bravo! Do that instead of worrying overmuch about the plausibility of getting your characters to this strange and fantastical world.

Gates and rings and portals are all fantastic ways to hop between the world of the mundane and your new realm. Key them to a widget or to the protagonist's DNA and now you have a reason why this person is special and why they out of all the rest of humanity get to hop to your new world.

Still, it won't hurt you at all to learn about some of this crazy physics stuff. It's pretty crazy.

Last edited:

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
Excellent, thank you! I'll look into the papers, though "someone with a basic understanding of physics" might not exactly describe me.

VERY basic. :D

Some parts of the papers are in plain language. The math is math, and was nice enough to segregate a large part of it in an appendix. You should be able to understand enough to get a decent idea what he meant. Everett's papers generated a fair amount of discussion, and some of those papers are in plain English. Everett gave the world a lot to think about, and the thinking is still going on.

H. Beam Piper's "Paratime" stories also have a lot to think about.

Last edited:

Kevin Nelson

Aspiring to authorship since 1975
Registered
Reaction score
The physicist Max Tegmark has written some fairly accessible articles about multiverse theories. Try, for example, this or this or this. (His work is much more recent than Everett's and sometimes much more readable, so I'd tend to suggest starting with him.)

Last edited:

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score

CetiAlphaVI

Registered
Reaction score
When people ask about this I always tell them to read Stephen Hawking's "A Brief History of Time." It's rough the first time so read it twice and the second time it will make some type of sense.(If you just get it the first time, then don't read it twice. It took me twice.) It is a fairly short book and will give you the basic concepts in non mathematical speak. Then pick up Brian Greene's "The Elegant Universe" for a good primer on String Theory. This combo will be about the easiest (IMO) to understand the topics in any decent depth. If you are at all interested in this topic, they are really fun to read anyway.

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
Bah! There is a mere plurality of resources! A countable one at that!

;)

But all the sources for which there is a significant probability of existing do exist. While there may not truly be an infinity of sources in this time-space, there is an infinity in the Multiverse, or so is said in the theory. Alas, most of those are not accessible according to present thought.

Remember that there are infinitely many versions of the opening poster searching, and there are infinitely many internets.

Last edited:

Chris_tine

Writer & Marketer in the making
Registered
Reaction score
Very interesting thread! I found myself in the same predicament while writing my novel as it deals with time travelling but it is not sci-fi so I had a bit more liberties in my explanations. I was completely overwhelmed with information and I looked at many of the websites that have been already recommended by fellow AW members. I can definitely recommend the TV series "Through the wormhole" and also Michio Kaku's books. Best of luck with your research and writing! :)

Nimyth

Registered
Reaction score
Nova, Nasa and Tyson

are all very good sources for info on string/multiple universes. Nasa sitehas a a lot of good recent info about dark matter and dark energy.
http://science.nasa.gov/astrophysics/focus-areas/what-is-dark-energy/
They are learning how to 'measure dark energy
http://www.symmetrymagazine.org/article/may-2013/dark-matter-detector-hears-first-particle-pops
and in fact just a few years ago they discovered that the planet earth was being bombarded by dark energy from the collapse of a planet. - can't find the link :(

As for the string universe theory of several strings being separate but intertwined... You may want to look into Shamanistic practices. According to many indigenous traditions you are able to view and some Shamans can even travel back and forth through these strings where they intertwine.

Also scientist think they may have found an actual black hole at the bottom of the ocean. It is a small one, and they are still investigating it. If so this would also tie in with pantheist/shamanistic traditions about dragon lines, and vortexes here on earth.

Last edited: