Are there any other Roma or Roma descent AW's?

GypsyKing

Mischief is an art
Registered
Reaction score
I was born in Ireland in Co. Galway and grew up there, so naturally I don't identify as anything other than Irish. I'm also a dual Irish and American citizen.

My mother is also Irish, she and her family are from Belfast. She's also ethnically Roma. The Romani people are often referred to as gypsies and are a darker-skinned ethnic minority found throughout Europe. So technically I'm ethnically half-Roma, although I wouldn't tell people that I'm Gypsy because I did not grow up in that community and don't have the connections and upbringing that the label implies. My own screen name actually comes from a favourite old story my grandmother used to tell me.

But it definitely had some effects on my upbringing. Academically I've studies Welsh Romani, which is not spoken fluently any more. I've been involved in some projects at several universities that document the Porajmos (we believe some of my more distant relatives ended up in Treblinka). But mostly, I had to be careful growing up because the Romani are still a reviled group of people in much of Europe. Even in Ireland, where the Roma community is very small, you could still get called a 'gypo whore' or worse if the wrong people knew you were of Roma descent.

Now I'm in America where the typical reaction is 'Wow, that's fascinating!" Go figure.

So, to wrap up, are there any other AW's out there of Roma, Sinti or Yeni descent or identity? If so, what sort of experiences did you have growing up wherever you did?

Last edited:

Antonin

▐п╣�▀╪? ╧ы§�Й!
Registered
Reaction score
Well I'm going to bump this out of the depths.

About a year ago it was finally confirmed (on her death bed) that my grandmother was a Polish gypsy. We had always made guesses about it because she had a lot of stories, traits, and beliefs that were very different from everyone around her. Dream fortune telling being the biggest thing she did. Recently I poked around and forced my family to give me answers about her life which matched with the info I read about on Wikipedia on Polish Rom. (Where she was born, route of travel, etc). My grandmother hid from that part of her life for many years due to the persecution she faced from people around her. The rest of the family isn't exactly happy with me bringing it up either, which is depressing.

Apparently there's a sliver of Czech Rom on my father's side, but I'm not exactly on the best terms with them to dig for that information.

I've been dying to get more information on this part of my family's past, but I've been coming up empty handed. :(

M.N Thorne

Registered
Reaction score
Actually, I have two of my great-grandfathers who are Roma. On my father side, is his grandfather was half Irish and half Spanish Roma who married his Jamaican grandmother. On my mother side, her grandfather was born in Mexico but was of Hungarian Roma and Mixtec descent married her mulatta grandmother from the Virgin Islands. This was common in some parts of the Caribbean for Roma to marry black people. Because many of these people were often in enslaved together in some parts of the Caribbean. Another interesting part about my family tree...my other two great-grandfather were mestizos. One was a mestizo gaucho from the pampas and the other one was a Mestizo-Polynesian mixed from Chile who lived in Hawaii. So the Roma is just a part of the family for me.