• This forum is specifically for the discussion of factual science and technology. When the topic moves to speculation, then it needs to also move to the parent forum, Science Fiction and Fantasy (SF/F).

If the topic of a discussion becomes political, even remotely so, then it immediately does no longer belong here. Failure to comply with these simple and reasonable guidelines will result in one of the following.
    1. the thread will be moved to the appropriate forum
    2. the thread will be closed to further posts.
    3. the thread will remain, but the posts that deviate from the topic will be relocated or deleted.
    Thank you for understanding.​

Artificial Star System

Rossing

Registered
Reaction score
I'm good with plots but bad with planets, and I need help!

I'm trying to create a tiny (in terms of space, not in terms of human scale) artificial star system with the minimum of 'magitech.' A 'sun' that's maybe one percent the size of ours, with planets to scale or smaller. I'm happy to posit a newly-discovered superdense element, and this is hundreds years in the future, so a few other 'breakthroughs' are of course fine. But I'd prefer to keep things at least slightly intelligible.

I want the planets to orbit happily, not be tide (tidal?) locked. At least one has a breathable atmosphere. Sort of like superdense-asteroids (to achieve 1 g) in orbit around a tiny-sun. Basically, an entire, artificial, miniaturized Solar System. As small as theoretically-possible, actually.

I know this is pushing speculation to the breaking point, but any feedback on future-tech that could make this happen would be hugely helpful. Or is this a technological breakthrough on the level of FTL--so I'll just have to handwave it away?

Thanks!

Kevin Nelson

Aspiring to authorship since 1975
Registered
Reaction score
It's pretty far-out, but I don't think it's quite on the level of FTL.

One thought: neutronium. If you gave your planets neutronium cores, then they could conceivably have Earth-like gravity even if they were the size of asteroids. The problem is that the relatively small amount of neutronium involved might not be stable. It needs to be kept under a lot of pressure, and the only known way to achieve that pressure is to have a very massive amount of the stuff, which will then get compressed under its own gravity.

I don't know exactly how much neutronium you'd need to achieve stability, and I doubt anyone else knows either. So maybe you could just posit that it works. Or maybe you could handwave some way of "treating" the neutronium to make it more stable.

Maybe you could give the star its own neutronium core as well. Then it could have a more ordinary stellar layer surrounding the core, in which nuclear fusion could occur. Such a bizarre star probably wouldn't be able to last billions of years like our Sun; I'm not sure if that would be a requirement for your story.

To avoid tidal locking, orbital distances probably couldn't be quite proportional to the ones in our Solar System. I.e., maybe the planet could have a radius 1% of Earth's radius, and the star could have a radius 1% of the Sun's radius. But the star-planet distance would have to be considerably greater than 1% of the Sun-Earth distance.

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
I think you're going to run into a longevity problem.

Stars get going thanks to heat and gravity. That you'll have.

But a star that'll last needs billions of tons of hydrogen to have fuel for the fusion process over time.

Now, I am talking on an astronomic scale here. So your 1% star still might last several million years.

JimmyB27

Hoopy frood
Registered
Reaction score
In the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable e
Website
destinydeceived.wordpress.com
I want the planets to orbit happily, not be tide (tidal?) locked. At least one has a breathable atmosphere. Sort of like superdense-asteroids (to achieve 1 g) in orbit around a tiny-sun. Basically, an entire, artificial, miniaturized Solar System. As small as theoretically-possible, actually.

Your 1G asteroid will not be the same as a 1G Earth. Have a look here for a good explanation of what it might be like.

Rossing

Registered
Reaction score
If you see a book with 'neutronium-114', Kevin, you'll know it's thanks to you. (And you well may ...)

And yeah, I'm happy with a mere few million years. I'm a short-term thinker!

That's a great link, JimmyB27, thanks. I'm thinking more of asteroids about the size of Europa (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/52_Europa: picked randomly, because I'm punctilious like that). So not, I think, small enough (given the equivalent density) that you could jog into orbit.

I think. I don't know. Why is science so science-y?

JimmyB27

Hoopy frood
Registered
Reaction score
In the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable e
Website
destinydeceived.wordpress.com
If you see a book with 'neutronium-114', Kevin, you'll know it's thanks to you. (And you well may ...)

And yeah, I'm happy with a mere few million years. I'm a short-term thinker!

That's a great link, JimmyB27, thanks. I'm thinking more of asteroids about the size of Europa (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/52_Europa: picked randomly, because I'm punctilious like that). So not, I think, small enough (given the equivalent density) that you could jog into orbit.

I think. I don't know. Why is science so science-y?

Jog into orbit? No, I don't think so either. :)
But you might find that there are still some effects on something like a rocket launch, for example?

Smiling Ted

Ah-HA!
Registered
Reaction score
The thing is, gravity isn't necessarily scalable on the astronomical level. Small, superdense objects behave differently from larger, Earth-dense objects. For instance, neutronium collapses any nearby normal matter into more neutronium - so you would need to find some way to keep the outer crust normal.

TomW22

Registered
Reaction score
This is a fairly bananas idea, to the point that the most sensible literary device to explain it is just to invent the kind of way-out technology it would need; gravity manipulation primarily. As others have said there's no real way to make this work with current understanding. Also a star 1% the size of the Sun is going to give you a completely different light and energy output, and being so much closer to it would have consequences in terms of radiation levels, solar wind and so on, if the star is even heavy enough for nuclear fusion in the first place.

So yeah, it's really either go with mental technologies to bypass physics, or be physically accurate and have a much more normal-sized artificial star system.

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
It just occurred to me: angular momentum. I think that's conserved, and can therefore affect what happens if all this small stuff was formed by compressing larger objects.

So an object that yields earth-gravity and an earth-length day at earth size, will spin much more rapidly as it gets compressed. You can apply force to slow it down again, but then momentum becomes an issue yet again. Since you have a smaller "arm" to use in slowing the rotation, you have to apply that much more energy, or apply less energy for a lot longer.