PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here had vocal lessons?

wanzulfikri
11-26-2013, 09:31 PM
I am going to study in Australia and I was pondering whether I should get vocal lessons there or not. I never had vocal lesson in my country(or never once in every country).

You see, I love singing. I know that my ears deceive me because I thought my voice sounded okay.

I don't need to sound like a pop star or Freddie Mercury(I like Queen), at least to the point that my singing is acceptable in front of others.

Can vocal lesson help anyone to improve singing?

Siri Kirpal
11-26-2013, 09:44 PM
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Raises hand. I trained for opera. So, yes, I've had vocal lessons. I also had vocal lessons after acid reflux wrecked havoc with my voice. So, yes, voice lessons do help improve the voice. I've heard the difference in several friends and acquaintances too.

I'm sure you can find a good vocal teacher in Australia, provided you're in a reasonably large city.

Go for it!

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Chase
11-26-2013, 10:05 PM
Anyone here had vocal lessons?

Another raised hand here in Oregon--though not for singing (which I used to love but had to quit in regard for others :D).

After decades of worsening hearing and a dozen years of total deafness, I take regular vocal lessons in Salem's school for the deaf to keep my speaking voice from becoming too high, too flat, or otherwise atonal.

Professional lessons and practice work wonders (I'm told).

(I still only mouth the words in church, with "Happy Birthday," and at sing-alongs so those around don't stop and stare. :D)

onesecondglance
11-26-2013, 11:29 PM
Yeah, I've done some lessons. They certainly can help - but you do need to actually do the homework, as it were. Much of what they're going to teach you is basics like breathing and diaphragm support, which most people need to be shown, and is essential to improving your tone and range: but it's not as interesting, perhaps, as learning a new song. A damn sight more useful, though. My voice has improved immeasurably through lessons - and most of all, practice.

MsDashwood
11-27-2013, 06:28 AM
Yeah, I've done some lessons. They certainly can help - but you do need to actually do the homework, as it were. Much of what they're going to teach you is basics like breathing and diaphragm support, which most people need to be shown, and is essential to improving your tone and range: but it's not as interesting, perhaps, as learning a new song. A damn sight more useful, though. My voice has improved immeasurably through lessons - and most of all, practice.
Agree with this whole-heartedly as a former music student and choir singer through-out the years --
singing lessons is definately worth it, and in different ways too, as I am sure you will discover as you take them. Things to learn that you never thought of :D

mccardey
11-27-2013, 06:48 AM
You really, really should. We have some brilliant teachers down here, too :)

ETA: If you want to get your voice warmed up in the meantime, there are some really useful youtube sites. Google whatever-your-range-is (eg: alto) warm-up.

onesecondglance
11-27-2013, 11:36 AM
The Zen Of Screaming by Melissa Cross is a great DVD - it's aimed at the heavy rock / metal crowd, but the basics are the same. Plus it comes with a CD of warm ups targeted at specific ranges.

BardSkye
11-28-2013, 07:43 AM
Join a barbershop chorus. Not only will you have a blast, you'll get all the vocal lessons you could ever want. Australia has lots of good ones, both male and female.

onesecondglance
11-28-2013, 01:38 PM
Join a barbershop chorus. Not only will you have a blast, you'll get all the vocal lessons you could ever want. Australia has lots of good ones, both male and female.

I've done barbershop, and it was indeed a blast - but simply singing a lot won't teach you basic mechanics. I mean, you'd probably get good at vowel matching and things like that, but it won't help if you can't pitch or breathe properly, in the same way that joining a water polo team won't be much good if you're still learning to swim.

Not saying everyone needs to go through years of training before they're allowed to sing - but if you recognise you have some issues and you want to get better, then simply singing more won't resolve that.

wanzulfikri
11-28-2013, 11:21 PM
Thanks for the response everyone.

I would be living in Kensington, Sydney I think because my university would be the University of New South Wales.

My monthly allowance is 1200$ and I was shocked when I discovered that the rent was high and the lowest I could find was 15$ a day. I thought rent was only a quarter of my allowance.

So, I need to make sure that a vocal lesson is worthwhile. I am also a total newbie so it makes me anxious too. Plus, I'm a foreigner who barely speaks English at home makes me more anxious.

How many hours per month do you guys recommend? Is one hour okay?

BardSkye
11-28-2013, 11:41 PM
I think any amount of time will be worthwhile for you. The biggest thing is to take what you've learned in that one or six or twelve hours of vocal instruction and practise what you've learned in between sessions. Something like, say, abdominal breathing and posture: if you only do it properly when in coaching, it'll take forever to get it right. If you practise it every time you think of it each and every day, you'll make it your default and be able to progress so much faster.

I don't know about community choirs or glee clubs as I've not been involved in either, but they might be a much less expensive start, and I'm sure all of them teach the basics of vocal production. (Barbershop does, too, but the start-up costs and dues might make it less attractive if you have to watch your pennies.)

onesecondglance
11-29-2013, 02:28 AM
I think any amount of time will be worthwhile for you. The biggest thing is to take what you've learned in that one or six or twelve hours of vocal instruction and practise what you've learned in between sessions. Something like, say, abdominal breathing and posture: if you only do it properly when in coaching, it'll take forever to get it right. If you practise it every time you think of it each and every day, you'll make it your default and be able to progress so much faster.

I don't know about community choirs or glee clubs as I've not been involved in either, but they might be a much less expensive start, and I'm sure all of them teach the basics of vocal production. (Barbershop does, too, but the start-up costs and dues might make it less attractive if you have to watch your pennies.)

Agreed. An hour a month won't be too bad as long as you practice - and practice well - in between. :)

Siri Kirpal
11-29-2013, 05:45 AM
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Once you have your first breathing lesson, train yourself to breathe that way ALL the time. Helps enormously...and not just with singing.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

mccardey
11-29-2013, 05:52 AM
Thanks for the response everyone.

I would be living in Kensington, Sydney I think because my university would be the University of New South Wales.

My monthly allowance is 1200$ and I was shocked when I discovered that the rent was high and the lowest I could find was 15$ a day. I thought rent was only a quarter of my allowance.

So, I need to make sure that a vocal lesson is worthwhile. I am also a total newbie so it makes me anxious too. Plus, I'm a foreigner who barely speaks English at home makes me more anxious.

How many hours per month do you guys recommend? Is one hour okay?

I think one hour per week is the norm for lessons - but if you can find a teacher who'll give you an hour per month, that's finetoo. Plus an hour or two's practice on your own each day. Or however much time you can afford. (Make sure whatever you practice too is right on pitch, though).

Rents are expensive. Are you going to be sharing? That's how most of them manage the cost. And don't fret about your English - you're better that you think! Just make sure you start using it on Day One and you'll be fine.

ETA: If you haven't already, make sure you join some of the Clubs and Societies at Uni - there will be a few devoted singing, and lots and lots of others as well. A really great way to make friends.