PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever done drugs?

Lantern Jack
02-26-2006, 11:05 AM
Yeah, I know this is like asking, "Do you have a navel?" but I'm sure there are some puritanical sorts still in circulation who've yet to sample the divine weed. Personally, my college experience is one big contact buzz. Whenever I was down in the dumper, all I had to do was walk into a lavatory in the philosophy or art department and I'd be on Cloud Infinity Plus One. I even got rides home from a pregnant, pot-smoking, retro-beatnik, Sicilian girl who perpetuated my CBs all the way to my doorstep. I remember walking upstairs with the pictures on the wall gyrating and the rises wobbling, like I was in Waking Dream. After oxygen, marijuana smoke is the densest component in the collegiate atmosphere.

louisgodwin
02-26-2006, 12:03 PM
I'm innocent. My body is a temple.

*cue sound of water bong gurgling*

louisgodwin
02-26-2006, 12:04 PM
Alright. In all seriousness, I haven't done anything since 1993.

September skies
02-26-2006, 12:17 PM
I've never done drugs or smoked as much as a cigarette in my life -- but then again, I grew up very sheltered
never drank alcohol until I was 22 (and only wine coolers and margaritas)

Optimus
02-26-2006, 01:12 PM
I'm not stupid enough to have ever done any drugs. Haven't even smoked a cigarette.

I care about myself too much.

kristie911
02-26-2006, 01:13 PM
I actually have never used any sort of illegal drugs. Unfortuately, I spent a year addicted to Vicodin and at least 3 years in an alcohol induced fog...but I have never smoked pot.

WDS
02-26-2006, 02:06 PM
Never done drugs, don't drink alcohol, don't smoke. I find it all to be gross and I don't even like taking stuff I should like antibiotics or advil.

Inspired
02-26-2006, 03:56 PM
I've done Benadryl.

That experience convinces me to never try any illegal drug.

eldragon
02-26-2006, 05:40 PM
Yes. In 1979, I dropped Acid. It was a terrible experience, and I was scared to death I would become a song idea for Jefferson Airplane.

Although my main gang in High School smoked pot, I always refused, and was never pressured. I'm talking massive potheads here, and they never pressured me.

It was the smoking I hated. My parents were chain smokers and I detested the idea of it. (My dad eventually died of throat cancer from smoking.)

Of course, I did crystal meth, which is terrifically fun in the beginning, but a horrible time coming down.

Cocaine several times ......see crystal meth, but more expensive.

I don't have an addictive personality and frankly, didn't care for the feeling of being out of control until the drug wore off.

I have known a few friends that threw their life away for drugs. A heroin addicted mother; a crystal addicted mother. The second killed herself because of the debt her habit caused her.

Just as alcohol can ruin a life, so can drugs, illegal or prescription. I don't recommend them.

Carole
02-26-2006, 05:55 PM
There were three different illegal substances that I used to be quite fond of. Acid, X, and of course a little Mother Nature. Actually, I can't say I am not fond of them now even though it's been a long time. It was always a VERY "few and far between" kinda thing anyway. I never had a bad experience. It was always just as I thought it was gonna be or better. Once in a while hubby (back when he was *boyfriend*) and I would have the opportunity to remove ourselves from reality for a while and it was always fun. No regrets.

On the flip side, someone very close to me just graduated from a 6 month intense rehab. Her choices were of the highly addictive kind. She is very fortunate. She's one of the few who ever walk away from what she did. She almost lost her family, her home and more than once, even her life.

PattiTheWicked
02-26-2006, 06:44 PM
I did some sampling in high school, but can honestly say I have not used any illegal substances since about seventeen years ago.

My body might be a temple, but it's also an art gallery and dance hall.

Perks
02-26-2006, 07:04 PM
I'm talking massive potheads here, and they never pressured me.

My experience too. Sometimes I wonder if the phenomenon of "massive peer pressure" is a bit of something cooked up by some kids who got caught.

I smoked pot with my friends in my late teens and early twenties until it occurred to me that all I wanted to do was eat and entire bag of frozen corn, then go to sleep. Viewed objectively, this is not much of a party.

I ate ergot mushrooms once and wonder if maybe it shouldn't be mandatory rather than illegal. It was a good day.

That was all fine and fun and once I'd grown out of that scene it was nice to leave it behind. I do enjoy getting halfway through the third glass of wine (and stopping at that point) from time to time now and I have quite a fondness for Grey Goose Dirty Martinis - very dirty. (It's not sexy unless one is turned on by olive juice and, in that case, seek professional help - today.)

I saw a documentary once detailing the efforts of animals in the wild to get high. You've not seen anything until you've seen a drunk giraffe cavorting over the savannah - it's very fun.

Carole
02-26-2006, 07:35 PM
Perks, you sound like a good time :D

Maryn
02-26-2006, 08:12 PM
Have I ever done drugs? Uh, yeah. Quite a bit, quite a few kinds. Not lately. No heroin (too scary), no cocaine (bad sinuses).

Having kids changes everything. Answering their questions about drugs was not fun.

Maryn, whose drug of choice is now a sauvignon blanc, light on the citrus

eldragon
02-26-2006, 08:31 PM
eat and entire bag of frozen corn, then go to sleep

Did you cook it first?

(Maybe in a bong?)

Perks
02-26-2006, 08:40 PM
Can't remember.

Squidgygirl
02-26-2006, 08:43 PM
I smoked some pot now and again a few years back.

I know a few people who take lots of cocaine and ecstasy, who think I'm just so amazingly sweet and innocent because I haven't ever take it, but again I've never had any pressure from anyone to try it and have no inclination to do so because I don't like the thought of what it could do to me.

I had to come off anti-depressants two years ago - after going through those withdrawal symptoms I don't think I'd like to actually try and come off something that doctors describe as addictive!

Now, my poison consists of a good red wine if I'm treating myself, or a couple of glasses of beer now and again.

Wow, I've shocked myself at how boring I've become!! :e2thud:

clintl
02-26-2006, 08:50 PM
When I was a freshman in college, I had a roommate who smoked pot pretty much every day. I tried it about a half dozen times, but I never felt any different after smoking it, and I didn't like the smoke. I did get my highest score of the year on the dorm's pinball machine after a little hashish, though.

Never tried anything harder.

DamaNegra
02-26-2006, 09:08 PM
I've smoked some pretty weird things like tea, cinnamon, pizza, dry leaves, china paper and notebook pages in the last two months. Pizza was the weirdest one, since I didn't even know it could be smoked. Anyway, I've never smoked any of that again, it was just to see how it tasted.

As for drugs, I don't feel like smoking weed 'cause in a party a guy smoked weed next to me and the next day I had the worst headache in my entire life. No thanks.

I have tried compressed air. You know, the kind you use to clean keyboards? Well if you take it, it's a drug. I did it for fun a couple of times, and nothing worse happened than not seeing things right, listening to everything as though I was underwater and speaking as if I had recorded my voice and played it at slow-mo (which is quite hilarious). Anyway, I got scared one day that I took too much of it and I suddenly found myself floating in a timeless vacuum, surrounded by nothing but tiny points of light. Haven't taken it since then.

I drink now and then. And every time I drink, I do it with my parents' permission and in their prescence. Nothing stronger than a good glass of red wine. Yummy :)

William Haskins
02-26-2006, 09:10 PM
i huff gold spray paint... just to get my head together.

Celia Cyanide
02-26-2006, 09:33 PM
I ate ergot mushrooms once and wonder if maybe it shouldn't be mandatory rather than illegal. It was a good day.

I'm with you all the way on that one, Perks. I had a friend in college who had really low self esteem, and one day, I gave her mushrooms to eat. She came out of the bathroom and said to me, "You know what? I just realized that there is nothing wrong with me!" How is that a bad thing?

I've done most things I've come in contact with. I don't really do anything but Scooby Snacks anymore. I've even given up cigarettes, for the most part. But whenever I hear someone say, "Why would anyone want to do XXXXX? It isn't healthy!" I can't help but equating that statement with someone who has never eaten chocolate cake saying, "Why would anyone want to to eat chocolate cake? It makes you fat!"

Maryn
02-26-2006, 10:06 PM
i huff gold spray paint... just to get my head together.And here I thought you'd had yourself gilded.

Maryn, who thought only your silences were golden

William Haskins
02-26-2006, 10:08 PM
you stoop to conquer, maryn.

maestrowork
02-26-2006, 10:09 PM
Drugs are bad because they alter your brain chemistry...

So does chocolate.

Personally, I find it incredible that we legalize alcohol but not pot. Talk about screw up in the head.

Vanessa
02-26-2006, 10:32 PM
I've never done any illegal drugs. Had friends which done it, but it never influenced me. I didn't knock them, as long as they didn't force me. While always having a sinus condition, the odor was enough to keep me away.
I've never smoked a cigarette completely...I tried one of my sister's once and HATED IT! Didn't understand what she got out of it.
I'm very careful about taking any legal drugs. I do drink sociably while my choice of drinks are burgundy's.

Shadow_Ferret
02-26-2006, 10:37 PM
I haven't done drugs since college, in the mid-80s.

The anxiety and paranoia took all the fun out of it.

Old Hack
02-26-2006, 10:37 PM
I've never smoked: my father chain-smoked his way through my childhood, and it makes me sick just to sit next to someone smoking. And I had a cousin who was a heroin addict, who lived a few doors down from me. He was a gorgeous, bright, funny boy and he died in torment when I was in my early teens. Consequently I've never got through that first gateway with drugs, as I'll not smoke and the idea of anything harder scared me.

I lived for nearly five years with a writer, and I learned a lot about writing from him: like, not to trust people who told me my writing sucks when they might not have my best interests at heart; not to yell at an editor who passes comment on one's work; to not ignore deadlines, and to make sure to deliver what you're asked for. That sort of thing.

It turned out that the writer was also a psycopath, with a great big cocaine addiction which he would never admit to. About 20 years ago he was under contract to write a book with an advance of £20,000, (so more like £80,000 now--perhaps $130-140,000). He was too strung out to write it, so I did, working 16 hours a day. The book was published under his name as it was his name on the contract: it was a great experience, but I never saw any of the money as it all went up his nose within a few weeks of him cashing the cheque. In return for my work on this book he was abusive, violent and dishonest towards me. Pretty standard for people in his situation, I realise now. When we met I owned my own, paid-for home and a I had a big, career-sort of job, but over the years he cheated me out of the money I had: when I left him I had just under £200 in my account, no job, no friends left, and nowhere to live. He later got married and within two years his wife was in rehab, her acting career was in tatters, and her house was gone, too.

Do I take drugs? Nope. Not the illegal kind. I drink, moderately: I love good wine (and am enjoying a glass of champagne as I type this). I have nothing against people smoking dope if they want to (apart from how boring they are when they do), or doing anything else. So long as they don't come near my kids. The idea of my lovely boys going where my ex did scares the socks off me. I've seen nothing but misery come from taking hard drugs, and don't want anyone I know or care for to go through that.

Maryn
02-26-2006, 10:45 PM
I agree, maestro. People who have not tried pot often misunderstand what the behavior of the user is like. (You never used to hear the word 'mellow' until marijuana became mainstream as a recreational substance.) Not that I'm advocating everybody toke up, but I truly believe marijuana users cause fewer problems than drinkers. (For one thing, they're often content to remain wherever they are, rather than drive someplace--so long as there are munchies on hand.)

Maryn, who's pretty sure this isn't going to become her pet cause

ChaosTitan
02-26-2006, 10:59 PM
I get wonky on two 800mg prescription Motrin, so any sort of illegal drug would probably flatten me. http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/EmoteShrug.gif

Never smoked cigarettes (I like my sense of smell, thank you), never tried weed or anything else (and yes, I can honestly say that it's partly because I've never been offered anything in my life). Would I be inclined to smoke a joint if presented with one?

<puts on tarnished halo> "Of course not, officer, marijuana is illegal." http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/wink.gif

At the moment, Smirnoff Twisted Grape is my drink of choice. Tastes just like Fanta Grape Soda....http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

BlueTexas
02-26-2006, 11:07 PM
I haven't done a drug that wasn't legal since 1998. I never did any scary drugs. I was in a room once where people were smoking crack, and it was as if they collapsed into some black hole as they smoked, until they were small shadows of themselves. That was enough to comvince me the scary stuff was indeed scary and of no use for recreational purposes, though I never considered doing scary drugs. Herbal substances made up the bulk of my experience.

I quit indulging when I realized I had forgotten what clarity felt like.

I agree whole-heartedly with you guys who are saying potheads are less dangerous than drunks. Not only is a person's behavior less dangerous when stoned, it doesn't become the physical addiction and cause the basic life destruction that alcoholism can. I find the proof of that in my Dad, who was drunk for forty years. I think I met him--the real him--for the first time two years ago, when he finally sobered up for good.

Old Hack
02-26-2006, 11:13 PM
Snipping:

QUOTE=Maryn]I truly believe marijuana users cause fewer problems than drinkers. (For one thing, they're often content to remain wherever they are, rather than drive someplace--so long as there are munchies on hand.)
[/QUOTE]

God, yes. Absolutely. Drunks get aggressive, marijuana users get happy and sleepy.

My problem is they also get boring and that seems like a terrible fate to me. I'd rather stay straight.

Shadow_Ferret
02-26-2006, 11:39 PM
An addiction is an addiction is an addiction. Whether it a physical addiction like alcohol, tobacco, caffeine, amphetamins or an emotional and mental addiction like marijuana. http://www.marijuanaaddiction.info/

Maybe they are less dangerous to others, but they are still a danger to themselves.

blacbird
02-26-2006, 11:58 PM
I had meningitis once. The little white pills they gave me once I started to recover, I don't know what they were, but man, they were gooooooooooood.

caw.

William Haskins
02-27-2006, 12:04 AM
An addiction is an addiction is an addiction. Whether it a physical addiction like alcohol, tobacco, caffeine, amphetamins or an emotional and mental addiction like marijuana. http://www.marijuanaaddiction.info/

Maybe they are less dangerous to others, but they are still a danger to themselves.

purity, also an addiction.

Serenity
02-27-2006, 12:12 AM
About the closest I've ever come to actually *doing* an illegal drug was inhaling the second hand marijuana smoke at a Pink Floyd Concert in Pittsburgh eons ago (when they still had Three Rivers Stadium) or the underage drinking when I was 18. That's it for my life on the 'wild' side.

Today, I would love to put a bottle of wine away in a sitting, if it didn't give me a massive migraine headache the next day. The pain pills they gave me when I injured my finger were really nice, but after the initial head rush, all I did was sleep. Where's the fun in that????

Caffeine is now my drug of choice, thanks to my roommate, who got me hooked (does that make her my dealer? http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/EmoteShrug.gif ) a few years back.

I've seen too many people do too many stupid things while high. I do enough stupid things while drunk, so I don't need to do any more. http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/emotePartySmiley.gif

Shadow_Ferret
02-27-2006, 12:48 AM
purity, also an addiction.

I wouldn't know.

William Haskins
02-27-2006, 12:49 AM
i've no doubt about that.

Shadow_Ferret
02-27-2006, 12:55 AM
Where are we going with this?

Prosthetic Foreheads
02-27-2006, 12:58 AM
I guess, other than Maryn, I have the most experience in this area. Where to begin? I smoked pot daily for several years. I made stellar grades in college- while holding two jobs at times- doing so. It's a matter of self imposed limitation. If you spend all day stoned you're not going to get much accomplished. Also, once you're used to being stoned, you can pretty much function the same as if you weren't. I've known people who could study better stoned. I couldn't study, but I did used to blaze before I played tennis. It increased my enjoyment, as well as my concentration on the ball. I'm not saying being a pothead is a good thing. Just relating my experience. In the past year and a half, I've smoked about five times. For some people, marijuana completely kills all of their motivation to do anything, especially when you first start smoking.

For those of you who say you've never done drugs but drink occasionally, I've got news for you: alcohol is one of the most powerful and mind altering drugs there is. Of course it's absurd for alcohol to be legal and not pot.

To the person who said they spent a year addicted to Vicodin: I don't know how much you would take at once, but if you were taking enough to get high, the only difference from heroin is there's much less risk of overdose with pills. They're both opiates and the high is very very similar.

I have close friends who've spent time addicted to meth. I used it several times, thankfully never got addicted even temporarily. Yes, you feel like superman when high, but coming down can be awful and that's why people do it for days on end. BTW, Adderrol is pharmaceutical meth. Any tweaker would gladly take a few, but usually the prescribed amount doesn't result in a "high."

For me, tripping was where it was at. I've tripped dozens of times. I did LSD more than mushrooms, there's not a whole lot of difference, it's just easier to trip harder with LSD. Every trip is different. I never had a bad trip, but I've seen someone else have one, and it sucked for them. Tripping is an absolutely incredible experience, but you must be careful not to take too much, especially the first few times. You may think you appreciate the beauty of nature, art , music, etc., but when you trip, the beauty of such things is increased exponentially. I'm not exaggerating even a little. If anything, I'm understating the experience. Additionally, thoughts occur to you that never would otherwise. A former g/f of mine took a very small dose of shrooms, and just from that minor trip she exclaimed, "So this is where all the good ideas come from."

It allows you to see things and evaluate your life in ways that would be impossible otherwise. Creativity is enhanced. I totally agree with Perks, I think everyone should try mushrooms once (LSD would probably be too strong for some people, unless they took a very small dose). It really does open your mind in a sense.

Having said all that, the healthiest lifestyle would be drug free. Including caffeine, which I make use of daily and wish that I didn't rely on it. I still find it ridiculous that plants are outlawed while poison (alcohol- intoxicate= toxic) is not.

William Haskins
02-27-2006, 12:59 AM
Where are we going with this?

don't ask me. i'm high.

Carole
02-27-2006, 01:50 AM
Prosthetic Foreheads, I can really relate to a lot of what you said.

I've tripped several times and it was always fun. Never had a bad trip. Hubby had a friend who had a bad one once, but that was because it was his first time and he got "lost" in the bathroom - he looked in the mirror...bad idea.

The most enjoyable, though, had to be the X. They don't call it that for nothing. Everyone is beautiful, everything is beautiful, you feel like heaven. Bad thing is that you never know who made the stuff and you never know what's in it. Not a smart thing to put into your body, but I was always fortunate. I had friends who weren't.

I have also known a lot of "heads" who functioned just fine after smoking up. Many of the guys hubby has worked with over the years were total heads. You'd never know it by their work ethic. On time every time and never out sick, the ones who were drinking every night were always calling in "sick" or being lazy on the job.

I'm not condoning illegal drugs. They're illegal, right? that pretty much sums it up. You know what you're getting into and you know what can happen, both physically as well as with the authorities.

GAWD I feel so old talking about the stuff I used to do. blegh. old sucks.

Perks
02-27-2006, 01:51 AM
Prosthetic Foreheads, I can really relate to a lot of what you said.

There are just certain words you'd never thought you'd see strung together.

Carole
02-27-2006, 01:52 AM
There are just certain words you'd never thought you'd see strung together.
LMAO...I know. I just re-read that. Oi!

DeniseK
02-27-2006, 02:09 AM

Heh

Shadow_Ferret
02-27-2006, 02:13 AM
Prosthetic Foreheads, you and your friends I believe are unusual.

There's a reason I'm where I am today (nowhere) and that's because I spent most of my high school time high and almost didn't graduate. Spent a year after graduation high. Joined the Navy because I had no job skills because I was high. Spent most of my Navy career high. Got out and went to college and didn't graduate because I was always high.

Pot ruined all my ambitions, all my drive. It made me nothing but a slug. Getting high was all I wanted to do. I'd sit around high all day and watch TV. The job I did have was just there to pay for the pot.

SC Harrison
02-27-2006, 02:22 AM

Gold's okay, but don't mess with silver—oh my god...

Prosthetic Foreheads
02-27-2006, 02:43 AM

The most enjoyable, though, had to be the X. They don't call it that for nothing. Everyone is beautiful, everything is beautiful, you feel like heaven.

I forgot to mention ecstacy. About six years ago, I spent a year taking it once every few weeks. The first few times I took it, I couldn't belive it was possible to feel that good. However, even though I wasn't even taking it weekly, it began to consume my thoughts. All I could think about was the next party (they were scheduled in advance) when I would roll. Being so emotionally invested, the experience just couldn't live up to my own self produced "hype." I knew I'd only feel good for a couple of hours, after which, all I wanted to do was get the hell out of there. I felt so rushed because there was only a 2-4 hour window to do everything: dance, see/talk to everyone, etc. (These were huge parties and most people were rolling or tripping). Overall, it just affected my emotions too much.

There are definately different kinds (it is a chemiical coctail), but usually it's a lot like tripping combined with meth (the MA of MDMA stands for methamphetamine). In fact, that's what led me to no longer taking X. One night, instead of rolling, three of us dropped LSD and took a few Adderrol. Now that was an intense experience. It lasted MUCH longer, more energy, the comedown not nearly as rough, and not as emotionally draining. Hell, I danced until 6 A.M. And I'm talking extremely physical dancing (breakdancing, etc.)

I do feel like I missed out because I didn't have a g/f during that one year period and the emotional connection on X is one of the best parts. I'm sure you and your husband felt so.

I now view uppers as the devil. One way or another, they take their toll. I think cocaine has the worst overall comedown the moment you realize you're not high anymore, but they're all destructive. It's just that X was the only thing to take over my mind even when I wasn't high.

Oh yeah, I didn't ever have sex on ecstacy which is supposed to be great if the guy can actually, um, perform. I did however do it on shrooms and that was intense.

Time to que the South Park clip: Drugs are bad, mmkay.

eldragon
02-27-2006, 02:45 AM
Tripping is an absolutely incredible experience, but you must be careful not to take too much, especially the first few times.

Yeah, like my first time, which also turned out to be my last time. I took one hit of blotter acid and was so disapointed after one hour of feeling no different, I took a second hit. (I was 16.)

The first few hours, I was almost completely blacked out, but I do remember riding in my boyfriends car.

I stayed at his house that night (he was 18, long story why I was allowed to stay there sometimes,) and remember feeling like I was an inch tall for most of the night. This posed a major problem when I tried to walk or move at all.

My (real) fingernails were long, and looked like bird claws, so I went ahead and ripped those suckers off. (My fingers were sore for days.)

My boyfriend looked like a devil, complete with long tongue.

Even the next day, I was feeling very disoriented. It was terrible.

I feared I'd never recover.

Oh, sure, the blue rings around the street lights were pretty, and it took about ten years for them to disapear, but overall......No.

Oh, and in the beginning, sometimes you are laughing your arse off, that's fun. Unless, of course, you are in an inappropriate place.

Arisa81
02-27-2006, 02:45 AM
I have never tried any drugs or had any curiosity to. Of the few times I tried smoking, that would barely count as half a cigarette. As a teen I never drank, but now at 24 the boyfriend and I probably drink 2 times a year, if that. Usually a six pack at his birthday and something at new years.
I always swore I wouldn't drink, having an alcoholic for a mother. But as I've learned I can trust myself. I have never been drunk. Ever. Not even close. The boyfriend actually used to be an alcoholic in his early/mid teen years, did some drugs as well. It seems to have gotten out of his system and he is totally responsible now. You'd never know he used to be pretty hard core if he didn't tell you.

Prosthetic Foreheads
02-27-2006, 03:19 AM
Prosthetic Foreheads, you and your friends I believe are unusual.

There's a reason I'm where I am today (nowhere) and that's because I spent most of my high school time high and almost didn't graduate. Spent a year after graduation high. Joined the Navy because I had no job skills because I was high. Spent most of my Navy career high. Got out and went to college and didn't graduate because I was always high.

Pot ruined all my ambitions, all my drive. It made me nothing but a slug. Getting high was all I wanted to do. I'd sit around high all day and watch TV. The job I did have was just there to pay for the pot.

Believe me, most of my friends are closer to your own experience than mine. One friend in particular would go in cycles: he would smoke occasionally until it became daily and he became a slug. He would then quit altogether for a while and then start smoking occasionally, and the cycle continued. They were amazed at how long I smoked daily and stayed productive.

I'm not bragging. In fact, I would say that it in ways, I was worse off than them because I remained a pothead for so long. I figured out a way to smoke and maintain, while they were smart enough to give it up because they knew it killed their ambition.

Two drugs have nearly ruined the lives of my friends: meth and Xanex. Yep, Xanex. I've seen my best friend offer $20 apiece for two pills because he was so addicted. I've heard that Xanex is the most addictive drug after heroin and I don't doubt it. All of of my friends now appear to have their lives back on track. Unfortunately, one of them is in danger of reverting back to old ways. He takes hydrocodone (Vicodin) whenever he can find it, which is thankfully, rather limited. The other day, he actually said to me, "If I ever find heroin here, I'm f***ed." (Vicodin= pharmeceutical heroin + Tylenol).

Fortunately, that's not likely to happen because, with all the drugs we've come across, we've never seen heroin. I don't know why, other than we're not from a huge city.

Me, I'm now drug-free, except for caffeine, on which I'm pretty dependant. Alcohol literally ruined my life- I'm in a wheelchair. Some people would say it isn't ruined, but they don't have to experience my extremely limited life. So Maryn, I think it's an appropriate use of the word literally. Maybe you don't.

Carole
02-27-2006, 04:05 AM
However, even though I wasn't even taking it weekly, it began to consume my thoughts.
We never had that problem. When it was over, it was over and nothing like coming off LSD with the tight jaw and backache, but it was pretty infrequent in the first place.

I felt so rushed because there was only a 2-4 hour window to do everything:
Holy cow. Anything under 4 hours would have been a rip off for us. It was usually 4-6.

the emotional connection on X is one of the best parts. I'm sure you and your husband felt so.

That was the best part. We never did it (or anything else) in public. It was an event, so to speak. We'd go to the store, get several packs of cigarettes, several 2 liters of Pepsi and bottles of water, eat a decent dinner and then hunker down at home in the gigantic beanbag chair :D

It's just that X was the only thing to take over my mind even when I wasn't high.
Again, that is so odd to me. We never felt that. And when it was over it was always literally like someone switching it off. One minute we would be rolling and the next we'd look at eachother and say somehting like, "Wow...are you straight? Yup. Time for sleep, then"

Oh yeah, I didn't ever have sex on ecstacy which is supposed to be great if the guy can actually, um, perform.
Oh my. That was another best part :)

I really do sound like a junkie or something on this thread. That isn't the case. There was just a time, a long time ago, when hubby and I would experiment. Once every few months - sometimes even 6 months or more apart.

poetinahat
02-27-2006, 04:23 AM
I'm not stupid enough to have ever done any drugs. Haven't even smoked a cigarette.

I care about myself too much.
Maybe you should try some drugs; they might help with the headaches.

Ours. :D

I've been off the sauce - and everything - for twenty years (tobacco and caffeine are other stories). I couldn't stop on my own, and it had long since stopped being fun. I hated myself at the end, and I was overwhelmed with relief when someone cared enough to force me to stop.

Those of you who can control your use, or see no need for using, count your blessings.

WerenCole
02-27-2006, 04:45 AM
I guess, other than Maryn, I have the most experience in this area. Where to begin?

I would beg to differ. . .

I am not going to get into this. I thought I would just say "yes" and leave it at that, more or less. I can be fortcoming. . . but I would prefer not to. Let's just say that I have done and seen more than I care to remember and want to rehash.

BTW. . . Ecstasy, though all those happy go lucky mushy feelings is the devil. Pure evil. It destroys brains and naive kids who think that since it tame compared to things like acid.. . .

Celia Cyanide
02-27-2006, 06:14 AM
Personally, I find it incredible that we legalize alcohol but not pot. Talk about screw up in the head.

I agree with you completely. I don't think alcohol should be illegal, either, but when you think about what alcohol has done to people compared to what pot has done, it seems pretty backward. I've seem the commercials, and no, I wouldn't want a surgeon cutting me open after he smoked up, but I wouldn't want him to have a drink, either. That doesn't mean I think he can't go out and drink with his friends on a night off.

William Haskins
02-27-2006, 06:28 AM
the history of US drug regulation, prohibition and criminalization in the early 20th century is full of duplicity, ulterior motives and arm twisting. if you think it's a coincidence that the gentrified old-money industries of tobacco and booze emerged the victor, you may be on crack.

a propaganda war, based largely on racism against blacks, asians and latinos drove policy, with a generous helping of scare tactics to help it along.

Cabinscribe
02-27-2006, 06:30 AM
My body is a temple.

Mine's an amusement park.

DamaNegra
02-27-2006, 06:36 AM
Mine's in the middle of a catastrophic civil war caused by my stomach and throat revolting over some mole I ate today.

spike
02-27-2006, 06:55 AM
Drugs...I think I did some in the 70's, but that whole decade is just a big blur.

William Haskins
02-27-2006, 06:56 AM
for anyone who thinks that stoners lack ambition:

http://www.phishhook.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=550448

Shadow_Ferret
02-27-2006, 07:15 AM
Wow. I only grew one plant.

maestrowork
02-27-2006, 07:25 AM
the history of US drug regulation, prohibition and criminalization in the early 20th century is full of duplicity, ulterior motives and arm twisting. if you think it's a coincidence that the gentrified old-money industries of tobacco and booze emerged the victor, you may be on crack.

a propaganda war, based largely on racism against blacks, asians and latinos drove policy, with a generous helping of scare tactics to help it along.

Yup. I saw the Discover/History channel documentary -- what an eye opener. Some of the regulations were so racist...

Jcomp
02-27-2006, 07:28 AM
no "drugs." But I discovered the joys of alcohol--hard liquor especially--in 2003 & it's been a steamy affair ever since. Outside of one incident in which I was not prepared for a night out, and this past New Year's vomiting debacle, it's been all love--though I have switched to beer, which makes me giddy and mega affectionate.

Shwebb
02-27-2006, 07:31 AM
I smoked marijuana only once--it was offered, and I was curious. Believe it or not, I had a bad experience with it. I didn't know that could happen on pot.

Perks
02-27-2006, 07:32 AM
Now beer is funny. I like beer. In phases. But I'm not sure I've ever been drunk on beer. I don't think I can put enough beer in my body to get drunk before I'm so heavy and sluggish that I can't get up to get another one.

Not the most efficient of intoxicants. But high in B vitamins.

maestrowork
02-27-2006, 07:37 AM
Beer makes me rowdy and aggressive and raunchy... yeah, worse than what you've seen here. Far worse.

I don't really drink now. Occasionally I'd have a sip of wine or a beer or two, or a mixed drink. I went to this fund-raiser the other night, all free booze, and I didn't have one drop of alcohol.

robeiae
02-27-2006, 07:39 AM
I am not going to get into this. I thought I would just say "yes" and leave it at that, more or less.
Yes.

Rob :)

P.S. Why does every Amtrak derailment involve marijuana?

Jcomp
Now beer is funny. I like beer. In phases. But I'm not sure I've ever been drunk on beer. I don't think I can put enough beer in my body to get drunk before I'm so heavy and sluggish that I can't get up to get another one.

For many people I know, this is very true. I, however, am blessed with the mutant power of getting drunk very quickly. Three bottles down, and I can't wipe the smile off my face. Simply put--I can't hang, I get teased for it by my drinking crew, but my liquor budget is a sliver of theirs, and I'm cheerfully tipsy early in the night while their still struggling to drown sorrows.

Perks
all free booze, and I didn't have one drop of alcohol.

What are you, dumb?

Carole
02-27-2006, 07:46 AM
I, however, am blessed with the mutant power of getting drunk very quickly.
Me too. Hubby says I am a cheap date!

For this reason, though, I won't drive if I've had even one drink. If we're out to dinner and I have a drink, hubby knows he's driving home. That's just my rule for myself.

Prosthetic Foreheads
02-27-2006, 08:31 AM
I would beg to differ. . .

I am not going to get into this. I thought I would just say "yes" and leave it at that, more or less. I can be fortcoming. . . but I would prefer not to. Let's just say that I have done and seen more than I care to remember and want to rehash.

BTW. . . Ecstasy, though all those happy go lucky mushy feelings is the devil. Pure evil. It destroys brains and naive kids who think that since it tame compared to things like acid.. . .

I believe I was the one the one that said it was the devil. Although, I wouldn't qualify it as tame compared to acid. I would say ecstacy is much harder on the body and the mind than acid. Of course, that's assuming you don't drop several ten strips in one night. Albert Hoffman, the chemist who invented/discovered LSD, just celebrated his 100th birthday. He used to trip quite a bit, and he's still remarkably clear headed and moves around well. If he had taken as much ecstacy as he did LSD, I doubt he would even still be alive.

eldragon:
I really am sorry that happened to you. That's a major problem with illegal drugs: you don't know how pure (strong) it is and therefore it's easy to take too much.

Carole:
I think our different experiences were due to the vastly different circumstances. When I took ecstacy, these were momentous events, rather than an intimate evening with a s/o. We'd look forward to these parties weeks in advance, to the point of being stressed if we could find the pills, if they would be good enough, what time we should drop, etc. The parties were often more than a thousand people, the biggest being more than three thousand. When you were feeling good, there was nothing like the connection you felt with so many people, but reality hit just as hard when you realized the end was coming. A relaxing evening with one other person I would not expect the comedown to be so harsh. And yeah, the first few times lasted more like 4-6 hours, so I can imagine seperating each occasion by months would make each last longer.

As far as jaw/back pain, I never had that problem with acid. However, you can bet my legs were sore for days after dancing for so many hours straight.

I would agree with WC that it destroys kids. Everyone would be healthier without drugs, but mature adults are certainly better equipped to deal with them than teenagers.

DamaNegra
02-27-2006, 08:35 AM
Stress on the word mature. Not all adults are mature. I've known adults do things so stupid not even a teenager would do them. And not all teenagers are immature. It all depends on the specific person.

I've only drugged myself about 4 times in my lifetime. I don't regret it, but I wouldn't do it again, even though I crave to do it again. It all goes down to individual decisions.

preyer
02-27-2006, 08:43 AM
this question and the word 'preyer' should be rhetorical. yep, have done drugs. lots of 'em. i stopped when i was about 22, though, i just kind of felt like i out-grew them. now i'm addicted to tobacco. not so much caffeine, but i do like a cup of coffee in the morning and coca cola through the day. i've tried just about everything that was going around at the time except for crack and pills~ i can't explain why those things terrified me. i don't really even drink anymore save for a beer sometimes when i go out to eat (which is very rare nowadaze because of work).

back in the day, though, i was a rarity in that i'd do what i wanted and still got what i needed to do done. like, i was a full-time ***'t manager at a pizza place, went to school full time for real estate, and partied my asss off inbetween. hell, even when i was 18, i worked at a video store and lived with two roommates who partied, partied, partied, but i always made sure i had money for the bills first. i learned how to play some damn good euchre in the process (once i found someone to teach me while we were both sober).

i sell rolling papers in my store, and it's a long-running joke now that we can tell when a new batch of weed is in town because i see certain faces all at once. it's rather comical: i have one woman, probably about my age (mid-30's), average in every way, come in with her son sometimes and she tells him to get a pop from a cooler while she quickly snags a pack of papers and pockets 'em after flashing to me what she's got, all just to avoid her son seeing what she's buying. the son of the people we bought this store from is a huge pothead, and i know all of his friends (i can't count how many times i partied with them back in the day), and they *all* still smoke pot. one even commented to me recently, 'everyone does it.'

not me. i've got a four-door cooler and half a walk-in cooler full of beer and don't drink any. just not my thing anymore. now, were i suddenly single tomorrow, i'd start up with the bar thing again, i'm sure. it always was fun to me. then again, i always was a sucker for a drunk woman.

i loved acid. the only reason i ever quit was because i was afraid is was causing too much permanent damage was causing too much permanent damage. i never had a bad trip (personally, i feel there's no such thing as a trip that isn't solely based on the person, not the actual substance), but i always had great tripping buddies. once, me and a buddy tripped in an abandonned cemetary in the dead of night, drinking beer by the headlights. i convinced him hops in beer were micro-biological organisms, just like really tiny seahorses, and if you pour your beer out in front of the headlight you can see 'em. he thought he could, too. then the battery died and we were stranded out in the middle of nowhere. not to glamourize drugs, because i've known people who fell victim to the whole scene, too.

everyone's got an addiction. my sister-in-law is addicted to religion and is so whacked-out on it she can't prioritorize correctly. she's an odd one because she probably partied harder than i ever did. i guess you can take the drugs out of the girl, but you can't take the b!tch out, lol. (a weird side note: while in my partying daze, i'd actually met my future sis-in-law... and thought she was a b!tch on wheels then, too.)

i'm amazed i never got a DUI (knock wood) or in trouble with the law. man, if they only knew. i mean, here's a couple of 17 year olds, drinking, taking turns 'surfing' on the hood of a moving car down a main residential street and not one person ever called us in.

i just consider myself very fortunate that i was able to enjoy these things and no one got seriously injured. i can't recommend doing the same things just because there's so much potential for disaster there. it was that potential, in part, though, that always attracted me to it: like i've always said, i'm pretty much an experience whore up to a certain point (and i'm completely confident in saying that point is way past most people's, lol).

it was never my intention dying with a 'pure' body any more than it's my intention dying with two cents in my bank account.

i could have had heroine if i wanted. nah, no thanks. scared me. i'd never gotten off on cocaine, though not from a lack of trying. i guess my body chemistry is different, because i never got any benefit from any medications i took for the first time, either.

my fifteen-year-old nephew got grounded for life this weekend. seems he spent the night at a buddy's house... and the parents were out of town. naturally, there ensued a party which the cops crashed. whoopsie! i'm actually glad, though, because i always thought the kid was kind of on the dork side and without any cool/coolish friends. reminds me of when i was fifteen. oh, man, it was easier to get liquor than it was beer back then for us. it was crazy.

one last story glamourizing drinking, kinda funny, kind mean, one of those things that maybe you just had to be there. about five years ago, when i was single, we got off work early and headed, naturally, straight to the bar (this is what factory workers tend to do for the most part, and, as an aside, it's really weird to start up with hundreds of other workers in a place and see how fast people's marriage vows fall apart~ people pair off like noah's ark). there, an old woman was already crocked and only getting crockeder. then she got annoying. real annoying. she's was flat-out pisssing people off by the time she stumbled outside, passed out in the dark and puked on herself (this i didn't know, else i'd probably have tried to help her, being the kindly gent i am on ocassion).

well, it was getting near closing time and one guy who was kinda being jerky that night decided to take a squirt. so we loaded the woman in the back of his truck while he was gone. okay, not one of my prouder moments, but i couldn't resist the joke (when you're buzzed, sometimes things seem a lot funnier than they probably are).

as i recall, we never did see either of them again.

Lantern Jack
02-27-2006, 11:13 AM
Drugs are bad because they alter your brain chemistry...

So does chocolate.

Yes, but on the flip side, drugs are good because they alter your brain chemistry:)

Lantern Jack, who wishes opium dens were back in vogue. For me, one of the sexiest things I've ever seen was Johnny Depp preparing a draught of opium in From Hell.

kristie911
02-27-2006, 11:39 AM
all free booze, and I didn't have one drop of alcohol.

If I go somewhere with free booze you can bet by the end of the night I will be barely standing and will have removed at least 2 articles of clothing...more if I'm not stopped!

eldragon
02-27-2006, 04:07 PM
If I go somewhere with free booze you can bet by the end of the night I will be barely standing and will have removed at least 2 articles of clothing...more if I'm not stopped!

Some of my worst memories involve my drinking way too much. I mean, hard ones to talk about.

I also witnessed others make complete fools of themselves while drinking to excess.

In fact, there are two things, in my opinion, that can cause a real problem:

Not knowing when to stop drinking;
Not knowing when to call it a night and go to bed.

Shadow_Ferret
02-27-2006, 04:52 PM
Beer makes me rowdy and aggressive and raunchy... yeah, worse than what you've seen here. Far worse.

I'm a happy outgoing drunk. Makes me exactly like I am here.

preyer
02-27-2006, 06:50 PM
nine times out of ten i'm a happy drunk, too. i've also learned to know when to stop and start in drinking water or pop. no, i wouldn't pass a breathalyzer (getting to where the mere thought of beer is enough to land you in jail anymore), but sober nonetheless. i'm not against the idea of a breathalyzer, though to say those accurately reflect every individual's level of 'drunkenness' is ridiculous. back in my drinking daze, i could put away a twelve pack during the course of a night and not even be buzzed, but oh hell no i wouldn't be able to pass a breathalyzer.

i have one guy who stops in here while he's 'working' and i let him break up a six pack of 16 oz. cans. i told him that for the same price he could get the same thing in a 24 oz., but he doesn't want all that in case he ever did get pulled over for some reason he'd fail the breathalyzer based on his body type if he drank more than he did.

Carole
03-01-2006, 05:18 PM
i loved acid. the only reason i ever quit was because i was afraid is was causing too much permanent damage was causing too much permanent damage.
*snicker*

Unique
03-01-2006, 05:44 PM
for anyone who thinks that stoners lack ambition:

http://www.phishhook.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=550448

Oh! My dream house! Moondancer, has it come up on the auction block yet?

Of course I wouldn't be growing marijuana! The nerve of you folks thinking that. I'd be growing mushrooms.

Organically.

DTKelly
03-01-2006, 06:13 PM
Never did anything illegal, except alcohol before 21.

The closest I came to getting high on pot was being at a Pink Floyd concert in Chicago.

I have a small collection of handmade pipes that I occasionally smoke, but usually only during finals week (and only tobacco).