I'm adrift and lost and devoid of hope. I killed my purse, a friend of 15 years. Need a new one.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So last night I finally got around to cleaning my purse, and I didn't realize it had synthetic bits, which got baked in the hot water. I rinsed it off and it was darker but salvageable, but I saw all the edges were fraying and in a fit of sorrow I buried it in the trash.

15 years of service and I tossed it. I'm a bad person.

But now I need a new friend, and of course I want one exactly like the last.

It was a grey bag with darker edges, woven with some kind of basket-like weave, and a matching strap that could go over the shoulder. It went with everything, and was just big enough for two wallets and a checkbook and some odds and ends. (So about 8" by 6").

Please bring peace to my heart and accessories.

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
I'm sorry for your loss. :( A good purse is hard to find.

If you're trying to find an identical bag, I'm afraid I won't be much help. That said, I'm in love with those purses/bags made of seatbelts (there are a few different brands out there). They never die. The strength, longevity, and softness of a seatbelt made into an indestructible creation that doesn't fade or fray or (so far at least) even show dirt. Not only that, but since the handle is also seatbelt material, even the thinner handles are unlikely to be cut by purse-snatchers. I don't know if that's a problem where you live but I've been places where it was something to consider. I'm hoping I'll never have to buy another purse again.

Good luck in your purse hunting.

ETA: Never mind. You posted the picture while I was typing this.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Do you have an example of this creation?

And though I have taken Pursie into a few cities around the world, and bought her in NYC, purse snatching is fortunately not a regular concern for me. I can swing my purse about merrily and cradle her as I wish.

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
Fenika, I share your grief--not for a purse, but for a tea kettle that has been my morning friend for years and years. I lost him on Monday of last week. His bottom finally rusted out. I will miss his cheery whistle but I won't miss him, because I parked him in my garden!

Next year when the crocus come up they will surround my friend--and four other tea kettles and a couple of tea pots and my old sneakers. (Note my avatar) Your dear friend could be stuffed with sunflower seeds for the birds and hung...wait a minute. Why are you looking at me like that... Am I sounding nuts again? --s6

Last edited:

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That's an awesome reuse of all your stuff :)

Using my purse as a bird feeder would result in a lot of dead birds for various reasons though :ROFL:

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Btw, anyone know what knitting pattern that is? Assuming the img still works when you click on the link...

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, that is very similar :) You may be getting a PM soon :D

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oooo, messenger bag. I just need that in a smaller size so I can easily stow it places :)

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
One thing I've learned about Etsy is that when goods are individually made, quite often the person will make you exactly what you want. (I've gotten a lot of this in soft goods like knitting.) You can contact her about the size you want, for instance, maybe even having her imitate the bag that's ruined. Can't hurt to ask, right?

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:) More thank yous :)

I think a custom bag will help me get just the right size. Poor pursie was bulging open all the time.

Friendly Frog

Snarkenfaugister
Registered
Reaction score
I have a purse very similar to that. Same colour, different shape, smaller, more squarish. It's been lying in my sister's old room for the last fifteen years so it's a but faded in colour around the edges. (I only remember because I picked it up just last month to put on the used textile donation pile.)

I was going to suggest Etsy, but I see I'm late. So I'll just chime in saying that's a good spot for custom-made stuff. :)

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Awesomesauce :)