A little joyousness for your Saturday

Fran

Slate grey mole person
Registered
Reaction score
Assuming you need more happiness on Doctor Who day. I certainly don't. :hooray:

Apologies if this has been posted before, but it's amazing and I love it and I can't stop watching it.

Link to amazingoasis.org

Enjoy. :)

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
No apologies! This was lots of fun and I shared it too. :D

Though I have to wonder who organizes these flashmob performances; they sure look like fun but also like a ton of work happened behind the scenes.

I suspended my disbelief quite happily however. :D

Fran

Slate grey mole person
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I think if anyone tried this at Glasgow Central train station the polis would be moving them on. Gah.

Sorry I ripped you off, Kyla. It wasn't intentional. :D

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I think if anyone tried this at Glasgow Central train station the polis would be moving them on. Gah.

There would need to be serious baksheesh applied beforehand. Not to mention, bloody killer rehearsals! *whew*

Sorry I ripped you off, Kyla. It wasn't intentional. :D

wut?

Oh, you mean my remark about sharing it? No no no no. I meant, AFTER I saw it here, I shared it in my email with some friends. Fiddle dee dee.

Fran

Slate grey mole person
Registered
Reaction score
Yay for emailing friends. :hooray:

Ode To Joy is the European Union's anthem and I find it really silly that people can be born in Turkey, five miles from the Greek or Bulgarian border, and not be European. And stunned in a bad way that anyone would come to the UK. This place SUCKS.

For any non-Europeans without the guarantee of a well-paid job or an EU spouse: Do not come here. Really. Don't. If Scotland goes independent next year then maybe. If it does, come to Scotland. We'll love yous. But this country is a shithole. For your own mental health, especially if you have a shred of social conscience, do NOT come to the UK. Go anywhere in the EU but here. Try somewhere lovely like Poland or Hungary that don't have the euro yet. Don't come here. You'll hate it.

Ode an die Freude...

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well huh. I did not know Ode to Joy was the EU's anthem, so thanks for educating me about that. It is a glorious piece of music no matter what use it might be put to, and even though the lyrics are decidedly Christian and Catholic to boot -- and so those of us not of that persuasion have to decide to bypass that level I suppose!

However, surely, as the EU national anthem, it has different lyrics? I don't speak any language other than English so I didn't pick up on the lyrics actually.

And I happen to agree with you about the UK, despite never having been there (and hoping not to offend any of the UK folk here at AW!) This is because I have had a few friends who live there and the sum of what they have shared about how it is for them turned me off completely.

Fran

Slate grey mole person
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't know they were Christian at all either. I don't speak German so I've never known what they were on about. :D I'm sure there was a reason the EU chose it, but I don't know what it was.

I only speak French. Which is hopeless, because loads of people speak French, and I don't speak business French. I can speak it well enough to get a stranger to show me his photos of himself in women's bondage underwear :eek: but I couldn't speak French for a living. I do see job adverts here looking for people who speak fluent Polish and Russian for £7 (roughly $US10) an hour. Yeah. Good luck with that. You might get away with paying a bilingual person that, but a person fluent in two different alphabets? Naw. Not going to happen.

RookieWriter

Registered
Reaction score
Assuming you need more happiness on Doctor Who day. I certainly don't. :hooray:

Apologies if this has been posted before, but it's amazing and I love it and I can't stop watching it.

Link to amazingoasis.org

Enjoy. :)

I was playing it on Google. Fun game.

GailD

Still chasing plot bunnies.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That was absolutely lovely! It cheered me right up. :)

Thanks for sharing it, Fran.

:D

Bolero

Registered
Reaction score
That was great, nice lead in, beautiful playing. Having played in a school orchestra I had the following thoughts/reflexes

1. They'd memorised the music - no sheet music in sight!
2. They tuned up somewhere else first (suspect the bank behind them - there is mention of that in the text) and left the instrument cases somewhere
3. They walked through the crowd with their fragile violins, violas and brass instruments (less fragile than violins but still best not dented).

For flashmobs, I also like this one - and having sung the Hallelujah chorus I know what hard work it is. Really impressed by this performance.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXh7JR9oKVE
(Been around a little while so you might have seen it already.)

I do particularly admire the first musician up - that takes courage (both the Ode to Joy and the Hallelujah chorus).

And for something not involving music or a flashmob, (well not exactly) - this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2FX9rviEhw

And have you seen the one with the cat singing the Game of Thrones theme?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEg4SEch27w

GailD

Still chasing plot bunnies.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That was awesome, Bolero!!

It surprised me that, during the Hallelujah chorus, so many people remained seated!!! One or two even carried on eating! :eek:

And then the sheep. OMG! The sheep! :roll: