PDA

View Full Version : The 80's Child

Undercover
11-22-2013, 10:19 PM
I wanna go back to rummaging in my bottom dresser drawer, taking out one of my Strawberry Shortcake dolls and just sit there, combing her hair and smelling her head.

Or search for the next My Little Pony out there, I gotta get it damn it!

Or Hello Kitty and write something meaningful, oh wait...I wouldn't to ruin the itty bitty pink paper and the ten itty bitty colored pencils. They must stay sealed up in it's cute little itty bitty clear plastic case. Just in case.

I wanna find another picture of Bon Jovi so I can pin it up on my obsessive collage of him on my Pepto Bismal-colored walls. He always did say, "I'll be there for you." And he mentioned he would steal the sun from the sky for me, so....anyway...

And last of all, I wanna find another cigarette butt off the curb somewhere and smoke it again like I did last week. That was so cool...and I can't believe I got away with it too.

Cella
11-22-2013, 10:25 PM
I want my oversized Rainbow Bright shirt with a scrunchie to tie it off to the side...

Undercover
11-22-2013, 10:54 PM
I want my oversized Rainbow Bright shirt with a scrunchie to tie it off to the side...

I always wanted that doll, but for some reason I can't remember why I never got it. (cuz my crumming parents) Yeah, but anyway, I have no idea why

I wanna stay in the movie theater and watch "Goonies" again...ya up for it Cella? Anyone and everyone is welcome to join. (and we won't even have to pay for it. we'll just sit here way in the back, behind the projector)

quickWit
11-22-2013, 11:07 PM
I'll sit in back with you ladies.
I'm up for it.

Cella
11-22-2013, 11:13 PM
Pass the milk duds!

Undercover
11-22-2013, 11:14 PM
I'll sit in back with you ladies.
I'm up for it.

Just don't wear your Michael Jackson glove again. That was weird the last time. haha!

quickWit
11-22-2013, 11:29 PM
I'll take it off for you, Uc.

giggity :D

Undercover
11-22-2013, 11:37 PM
Yeah, Q, you show 'em "Who's the Boss?" even though everyone knows it's Tony Danza.

shakeysix
11-22-2013, 11:38 PM
Is there room for us moms of 80s children?

I have credentials: I have listened to the Jem theme song 100+ times. A Rainbow Bright doll once tripped me down a flight of stairs. Pre-Chucky! I can recite the lines to any Scooby Doo cartoon or Saved by the Bell episode before the characters do. I can also still do a reasonable Scrappy Doo voice.

I am the one who shopped for the sweaters and outfits so you kids could be Cosby kid clones. I mortgaged the house to buy you Coleco Vision and I stayed up all night with you because those face sucker things from Aliens were flapping around in your closet. (Didn't I tell you not to see that movie?)

I can sing all the words to Greased Lightning and Beauty School Dropout. I prayed for you while you zoomed into traffic on your Green Machine and I listened to you sing Sheena Easton until my ears bled. Surely there is room for 80s Moms here too? --s6

quickWit
11-22-2013, 11:55 PM
Yeah, Q, you show 'em "Who's the Boss?" even though everyone knows it's Tony Danza.

That's just crazy talk. Everyone knows Bruce is the Boss, Uc.

There's room for you, shakey! You can sit by me!
*moves enormous '80s mobile phone

Undercover
11-23-2013, 12:04 AM
Is there room for us moms of 80s children?

I have credentials: I have listened to the Jem theme song 100+ times. A Rainbow Bright doll once tripped me down a flight of stairs. Pre-Chucky! I can recite the lines to any Scooby Doo cartoon or Saved by the Bell episode before the characters do. I can also still do a reasonable Scrappy Doo voice.

I am the one who shopped for the sweaters and outfits so you kids could be Cosby kid clones. I mortgaged the house to buy you Coleco Vision and I stayed up all night with you because those face sucker things from Aliens were flapping around in your closet. (Didn't I tell you not to see that movie?)

I can sing all the words to Greased Lightning and Beauty School Dropout. I prayed for you while you zoomed into traffic on your Green Machine and I listened to you sing Sheena Easton until my ears bled. Surely there is room for 80s Moms here too? --s6

Okay, "Showgirl's" Girl<<<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Showgirls from Saved By the Bell, you're in.

Undercover
11-23-2013, 12:07 AM
That's just crazy talk. Everyone knows Bruce is the Boss, Uc.

There's room for you, shakey! You can sit by me!
*moves enormous '80s mobile phone

don't even think you can call me on that HUGE phone. god only knows how you even carry it around...it's...it's so...so big!...haha

Cella
11-23-2013, 12:08 AM
not as big as the box it comes in.

Undercover
11-23-2013, 12:09 AM
http://www.google.com/imgres?hl=en&biw=1280&bih=631&tbm=isch&tbnid=9Skc-VXh7Y5QvM:&imgrefurl=http://www.eventprophire.com/themes/80s/giant-mobile-phone-prop&docid=DslgBCsJiD7M-M&imgurl=http://www.eventprophire.com/_images/products/large/20080515173147_s_mobile_phone_prop.jpg&w=280&h=373&ei=1bmPUtKwN6rX2QW4r4DQAw&zoom=1&iact=rc&dur=94&page=1&tbnh=135&tbnw=121&start=0&ndsp=22&ved=1t:429,r:5,s:0,i:98&tx=54&ty=78

quickWit
11-23-2013, 12:21 AM
not as big as the box it comes in.

*rimshot*

cray
11-23-2013, 12:28 AM
*hacky sacks through thread*

Cella
11-23-2013, 12:34 AM
*skip-it's through thread*

Undercover
11-23-2013, 12:35 AM
Like I'm not Inspector Gadget or anything, but I haven't a clue.

shakeysix
11-23-2013, 12:36 AM
Oh yeah--and I helped you cut new sweatshirts into "Flashdance" shirts! Okay and I did chew your butt when you drug that huge phone upstairs and fell asleep with it while talking to Daaaavid. The whole dang family was without a phone because it was upstairs in your unmade bed! --s6

Undercover
11-23-2013, 12:52 AM
Oh yeah--and I helped you cut new sweatshirts into "Flashdance" shirts! Okay and I did chew your butt when you drug that huge phone upstairs and fell asleep with it while talking to Daaaavid. The whole dang family was without a phone because it was upstairs in your unmade bed! --s6

But it was Flashdance tho! It had to be done, even though I fell off the chair and split my pants, but still. Like totally would do it again, like totally radical dude. It. was. awesome.

shakeysix
11-23-2013, 01:03 AM
Remember that time you danced off the picnic table doing "Hey Mickey"? --s6

KellyAssauer
11-23-2013, 01:12 AM
Seriously? You're still here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRJ38y4Jn6k)?

Vito
11-23-2013, 01:26 AM
I definitely wasn't an 80s "child", because I was in college during that decade. But here's my soon-to-be-classic "Words of Wisdom From St. Elmo's Fire" thread...

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=196446&highlight=elmo%27s

BeatrixKiddo
11-23-2013, 01:56 AM
I want to join The Breakfast Club, and feel Pretty in Pink, while blowing out my Sixteen Candles for my birthday.

:)

Undercover
11-23-2013, 02:42 AM
I want to join The Breakfast Club, and feel Pretty in Pink, while blowing out my Sixteen Candles for my birthday.

Don't you (forget about me)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdqoNKCCt7A

Brightdreamer
11-23-2013, 03:31 AM
Dang, now I wanna boot up the ol' Commodore 128 to remember what a real video game is like.

(Yes, I've tried the emulators. Most of the "games" are hacked beyond playability, when they run at all... and they don't have some of my favorites.)

Kathl33n
11-23-2013, 03:51 AM
You can't have an 80's thread without 20 gummy black bracelets on your wrist and big hair and Madonna wannabe clothes (unless you're a guy).

Desperately Seeking Susan was an awful movie but I loved it back then!

Fun 80's songs:

Jam On It - Neucleus
Whip It - Devo
Let The Music Play - Shannon
99 Red Balloons (what was the German version name?)
Mickey - Toni Basil
Get Into The Groove - Madonna
Thriller - Michael Jackson
She's Blinding Me With Science - Thomas Dolby
Do You Really Want to Hurt Me? - Culture Club
Enjoy The Silence - Depeche Mode
Careless Whisper - Wham!
Major Tom (can't remember who sang it, and can only find the Russian version online now)

What were your 80's pop favorite tunes?

Undercover
11-23-2013, 03:59 AM
Guns n Roses
Don't Know What You Got (Till It's Gone) Cinderella
anything from Ozzy...oh wait, maybe I shouldn't say I am a stoner...err was a stoner

Kathl33n
11-23-2013, 04:31 AM
Loved the Cinderella album that has "Shake Me" on it.

Kathl33n
11-23-2013, 04:32 AM
ATARI!!!!

Asteroids
Pac Man
Megamania
Pitfall - played and cursed at those darn alligators forever
Defender
Donkey Kong

Undercover
11-23-2013, 04:40 AM
OMG, you just made me think of this movie: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Last_Starfighter

I totally loved that movie! And Pac Man too.

Ken
11-23-2013, 05:05 AM
... good decade the 80's,
excluding the presidential assassination in 1881.
(I was reading a novel of Tolstoy's at the time
when news came through by telegraph.)
:-(

Undercover
11-23-2013, 05:25 AM
Well I thought Reagan was the best president in the world till his term was over and I got older.

Undercover
11-23-2013, 05:42 AM
Hey, anyone wanna Cabbage Patch Kid? Her name is Penny Sue and you can adopt her for only 50 bucks. Let me know, I'll be in the alley by the garbage pail kid if you're interested.

shakeysix
11-23-2013, 06:08 AM
Anyone up for a game of Pig Pong?

Undercover
11-23-2013, 06:46 AM
Anyone up for a game of Pig Pong?

Can we play Trivial Pursuit afterwards?

shakeysix
11-23-2013, 07:09 AM
I kick ass at Trivial Pursuit. It has been said that I have a trivial mind. Remember the big tennis craze? Not only did Mom get you tennis lessons, she bought you the headband and wristbands that coordinated with your Martina Navratilova tennis skort and Kanga-Roo shoes--s6

Jehhillenberg
11-23-2013, 07:25 AM

Perfect!

Undercover
11-23-2013, 07:48 AM
I kick ass at Trivial Pursuit. It has been said that I have a trivial mind. Remember the big tennis craze? Not only did Mom get you tennis lessons, she bought you the headband and wristbands that coordinated with your Martina Navratilova tennis skort and Kanga-Roo shoes--s6

Can we play Trivial Pursuit Junior instead? haha

Hey, Jeh is in the house....part-tay! We are young! Heartache to heartache we stand!!!

Jersey Chick
11-23-2013, 07:56 AM
I want to take a razor blade to my Levis, put on my black leather jacket (you know, the one with all the fringe. And yes, I still have it. ;)), tease my hair six inches off my head and shellac it with Aqua Net.

Then I wanna listen to some Whitenake. And some Guns n' Roses. And Judas Priest. And Iron Maiden.

And Def Leppard. Gotta have my Def Leppard! (first concert I went to - Philadelphia Spectrum, September 1988. :D)

jjdebenedictis
11-23-2013, 08:00 AM
Anyone got the hots for Keifer Sutherland after seeing The Lost Boys?

Geez, why doesn't anyone ever make movies about sexy vampires? I'll bet that could be a thing.

Undercover
11-23-2013, 08:00 AM
I want to take a razor blade to my Levis, put on my black leather jacket (you know, the one with all the fringe. And yes, I still have it. ;)), tease my hair six inches off my head and shellac it with Aqua Net.

Then I wanna listen to some Whitenake. And some Guns n' Roses. And Judas Priest. And Iron Maiden.

And Def Leppard. Gotta have my Def Leppard! (first concert I went to - Philadelphia Spectrum, September 1988. :D)

OMG, JC...will you...will you go out with me? haha

And for all my girlie girls here, this is for you>>>>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjY_uSSncQw

I had to.

Undercover
11-23-2013, 08:03 AM
Anyone got the hots for Keifer Sutherland after seeing The Lost Boys?

Geez, why doesn't anyone ever make movies about sexy vampires? I'll bet that could be a thing.

So then which Corey do you like better?

folkchick
11-23-2013, 08:08 AM
Jumping in to say that I would have died to be Jem from Jem and the Holograms.

Brightdreamer
11-23-2013, 08:19 AM
Jumping in to say that I would have died to be Jem from Jem and the Holograms.

Dang, I thought I was the only one who remembered that one! Fun times...

KellyAssauer
11-23-2013, 08:25 AM

Pop?

What's Pop?

I was ordering tapes and cd's from adds in alt/punk 'zines,
listening to the Cure, The Smiths, Morrisey, Sonic Youth
and anything released on the subPop label.

=)

(btw: it was Nina with 99 luftballoons)

Undercover
11-23-2013, 08:54 AM
Pop?

What's Pop?

I was ordering tapes and cd's from adds in alt/punk 'zines,
listening to the Cure, The Smiths, Morrisey, Sonic Youth
and anything released on the subPop label.

=)

(btw: it was Nina with 99 luftballoons)

This is why I have a crush on Kells, cause she's JUST LIKE HEAVEN http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RS_ux2H473I&feature=kp

jjdebenedictis
11-23-2013, 09:05 AM
So then which Corey do you like better?Pfft. Do not speak of the boys. Talk of the MEN.

Like Jason Patric; hubba hubba.

Undercover
11-23-2013, 09:40 AM
Pfft. Do not speak of the boys. Talk of the MEN.

Like Jason Patric; hubba hubba.

His name is Michael and he's my Michael, ok, ya got it, Star?....even though you went on to do that Twister movie with that Helen chick. You only looked your best as Star, so don't start. haha

Undercover
11-23-2013, 09:54 AM
I don't know, I guess I'm just mad cause I didn't get to complete Ronald McDonald's Glass Set.

i'm just sayin'

jjdebenedictis
11-23-2013, 10:36 AM
His name is Michael and he's my Michael, ok, ya got it, Star?....even though you went on to do that Twister movie with that Helen chick. You only looked your best as Star, so don't start. hahaYou can keep Michael if I get dibs on David and his odd-placed fangs.

We can share the movie's soundtrack, however, 'cause dang was that a great soundtrack. Remember the shirtless guy with the saxophone?

Undercover
11-23-2013, 05:11 PM
You can keep Michael if I get dibs on David and his odd-placed fangs.

We can share the movie's soundtrack, however, 'cause dang was that a great soundtrack. Remember the shirtless guy with the saxophone?

Haha...yeah those fangs were definitely "odd-placed" any closer and he'd be a bunny instead.

JJ over 4K, YAY. We should party like it's 1999!

Ken
11-23-2013, 07:10 PM
... for guys the, err, 1980's had two defining moments.
Rambo and Rocky 3 !

Jersey Chick
11-23-2013, 11:14 PM
I remember the big shocker in the summer of 1980...

'No, Luke, I am your father.'

I had such a crush on Harrison Ford, it wasn't funny. I was like 9. :D

I remember watching Live Aid on TV - Phil Collins played London and then took the Concorde to play in Philly. I was packing for summer camp.

Anyone for a little "We Are the World"?? ;)

Undercover
11-23-2013, 11:57 PM
Anyone for a little "We Are the World"?? ;)

"We are the children." haha

So did everybody get a chance to watch their Saturday morning cartoons?

If so what'cha watch?

The Smurfs?
He-Man?
Duck Tales?
Heathcliff?
The Care Bears?

Don't tell me you weren't into the Care Bears! How could you not care for a bear with a rainbow on his belly and a heart on his ass. ooooooh sooooooo sweet.

Cheer Bear's my favorite.

Vito
11-24-2013, 12:15 AM
If so what'cha watch?

The Smurfs?
He-Man?
Duck Tales?
Heathcliff?
The Care Bears?

If I had watched those cartoons back then, my classmates would've "pointed and stared"...if you know what I mean. So I watched:

"Late Night with David Letterman". I still think Dave is funny, but he seemed even more hilarious during my college days.

"Newhart", one of my all-time favorite sitcoms.

"Taxi" got cancelled in '83 but it gave me enough laughs to last the rest of the decade!

:Thumbs:

jjdebenedictis
11-24-2013, 12:46 AM
"Taxi" got cancelled in '83 but it gave me enough laughs to last the rest of the decade! Ah, but then Jeff Conaway went on to one of my favourite shows, the short-lived (and, honestly, not very good) Wizards and Warriors.

Although Duncan Regehr (http://friday87central.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/dirk.jpg) provided the hubba-hubba quotient on that show, and I was almost too young to be susceptible to hubba-hubba at the time.

But then, alas, Mr. Regehr went on to do V, which scared the boogers out of me, along with the commercials for Alien. I was NOT okay with aliens or alien invasion shows when I was a kid.

Undercover
11-24-2013, 01:41 AM
Totally loved V too. It really weirded me out to see them peel their skin off as that green scaly face with those yellow lizard eyes came out, I was like? Umm ok, that's gonna give me nightmares tonight.

I always thought of that when I picked my zits to death. (mutilation mode then, nother story...)

rhymegirl
11-24-2013, 01:44 AM
I had two kids in the eighties. That's all I can remember.

Undercover
11-24-2013, 01:48 AM
I forgot my other nightmares. God (how could I forget?... A Nightmare on Elm Street...Freddy Krueger...and he was from V too.

Did you seriously see that scene where he ripped the veins out of that girl in the bed and played with her like she was some puppet...that was...the nastiest.

Undercover
11-24-2013, 01:50 AM

What were your kids into?

Jersey Chick
11-24-2013, 02:40 AM
I saw that Nightmare while standing in the back of the movie theatre. A group of us went to see it, and my best friend freaked out before it began and hid behind the partition (where the theatre doors were.) I'm a good friend, but if I pay to see a movie, you better believe I'm seeing it, even if it means standing at the back of damn theatre.

I think I saw Halloween 4 the same way.

Hey, has anyone seen my October 1988 issue of Circus magazine? I think Motley Crue was on the cover...

Brightdreamer
11-24-2013, 02:44 AM
If you want a good 80's show that actually holds up, how about Sledge Hammer!

I wish cable had been a viable option then... that show deserved another year.

As for cartoons... at various times: Smurfs, Gummi Bears, He-Man, GI Joe, Ghostbusters, Pac-Man, Jem, Dinosaucers, various permutations of superhero leagues, Godzilla, Zorro, Dungeons and Dragons, and others that likely slipped my mind.

I also have vague memories of Star Blazers, and some of those CBS storybook playhouse adaptations.

rhymegirl
11-24-2013, 03:33 AM

Hmm. They were into everything--and I chased after them! :)

benbradley
11-24-2013, 03:51 AM
You can't have an 80's thread without 20 gummy black bracelets on your wrist and big hair and Madonna wannabe clothes (unless you're a guy).

Desperately Seeking Susan was an awful movie but I loved it back then!

Fun 80's songs:

Jam On It - Neucleus
Whip It - Devo
Let The Music Play - Shannon
99 Red Balloons (what was the German version name?)
Mickey - Toni Basil
Get Into The Groove - Madonna
Thriller - Michael Jackson
She's Blinding Me With Science - Thomas Dolby
Do You Really Want to Hurt Me? - Culture Club
Enjoy The Silence - Depeche Mode
Careless Whisper - Wham!
Major Tom (can't remember who sang it, and can only find the Russian version online now)

None. Okay, there was The Wall, but that perhaps still counts as a 70s album, especially after Dark Side dominated the album charts.

But to me it was The Decade The Music Died. No longer was it the rock of the 60s and 70s, it was something else. Every song had a polysynth in it trying to sound like orchestral strings, aka a "string synthesizer" (as opposed to the Mellotron, used by Moody Blues and even on "Freebird"). The music had change in an otherwise hard to identify way, but The 1980s was personified by:

Duran Duran.

You didn't miss much.

Probably Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

It's Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles all the way down.

Undercover
11-24-2013, 04:01 AM
I saw that Nightmare while standing in the back of the movie theatre. A group of us went to see it, and my best friend freaked out before it began and hid behind the partition (where the theatre doors were.) I'm a good friend, but if I pay to see a movie, you better believe I'm seeing it, even if it means standing at the back of damn theatre.

I think I saw Halloween 4 the same way.

Hey, has anyone seen my October 1988 issue of Circus magazine? I think Motley Crue was on the cover...

I don't remember Circus Magazine, I DO remember Motley Crue tho. And Mega Death, Metallica, and umm, our daughter's name is Abigail...so we were King Diamond fans too.

I remember Teen Beat and desperately wanting to be Alyssa Milano too. hehe

KellyAssauer
11-24-2013, 04:17 AM

Adolescent Radioactive Black Belt Hamsters (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adolescent_Radioactive_Black_Belt_Hamsters)...

*puts on some purest 70's rock (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drr2YZDgPJQ) on just for Ben*

:D

benbradley
11-24-2013, 05:41 AM
Adolescent Radioactive Black Belt Hamsters (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adolescent_Radioactive_Black_Belt_Hamsters)...

*puts on some purest 70's rock (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drr2YZDgPJQ) on just for Ben*

:D
I only have one request for 70s music (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7koS5PMpmbU).

jjdebenedictis
11-24-2013, 06:08 AM
But to me it was The Decade The Music Died. No longer was it the rock of the 60s and 70s, it was something else. Every song had a polysynth in it trying to sound like orchestral strings, aka a "string synthesizer" (as opposed to the Mellotron, used by Moody Blues and even on "Freebird"). The music had change in an otherwise hard to identify way, but The 1980s was personified by:

Duran Duran.Never liked Duran Duran, but Video Killed the Radio Star is still my happy place song, synth strings and all.

KellyAssauer
11-24-2013, 07:25 AM
I gots lots of money, I gots lots of time
I bought me a penthouse
and filled full of strawberry wine.

anyone?

It's some long ago forgotten music video by I have no idea.
It's been driving me nuts.

=(

Steve Coate
11-24-2013, 07:28 AM
Calling All Girls (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcadh96eLe8) - Hilly Michaels

KellyAssauer
11-24-2013, 07:34 AM
Calling All Girls (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcadh96eLe8) - Hilly Michaels

OMG. Thank you. =)

that must have been one of the six
music videos MTV had when it first went on the air.

Lavern08
11-24-2013, 04:30 PM
Does anyone mind if I turn off the switch and use my Parliament Funkadelic Flashlight? ;)

Undercover
11-24-2013, 04:42 PM
Did anyone stay up for Thriller? I fell asleep and missed it and of course my two older sisters teased the shit outta me about it.

*eventually I did watch it. scared, nightmares set in place to air in my dreams later.

along with Michael Myers, Jason and Freddy being on my list of dream boys too.

Is it just me, or were scary movies scarier back then or what?

shakeysix
11-24-2013, 06:58 PM
There was a movie that scared the pee-wadding out of my own kids. We had weeks of bad dreams over it. It was on HBO--an Australian movie about a school teacher and her pupils who are kidnapped from a rural school by men wearing masks. The thing ends with the kids killing the kidnappers. Very dark.

I was at work when my kids watched it, so only caught scraps of it, usually at night, after a nightmare. One of the kidnappers wore a Father Christmas mask.

Fast forward to the mid nineties. I was teaching a high school class in a rural high school. We were on the second floor when a workman looked into our classroom window. He was with a crew repairing a fan on the roof and wandered over to see if anyone was in the room. My entire class --some ten or eleven teenagers --completely freaked out. Even the boys screamed. Some kids dove under their desks. I opened the window and asked the man what the hell he was doing. He explained and apologized. I pulled the blinds.

The kids said they thought he was Father Christmas from this movie about these kidnappers who ...

That must have been some scary movie. Do any of you kids remember that one?--s6

regdog
11-24-2013, 11:22 PM
Those were the days, back when MTV played music videos. Don't forget the parachute pants and ribbon barrettes. I loved my ribbon barrettes.

Love this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sv1I4q6lOpo)

rhymegirl
11-25-2013, 02:19 AM
Probably Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

Yes! Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles,
Heroes in a half-shell--turtle power!

Is that when the Power Rangers were popular, too? My kids loved the Power Rangers.

Undercover
11-25-2013, 02:23 AM

Is that when the Power Rangers were popular, too? My kids loved the Power Rangers.

I bet they had Power Ranger curtains too, right?

(my hubby had he-man curtains...hehe)

shakeysix
11-25-2013, 03:50 AM
My nephew used to wear a cape and carry a big plastic sword everywhere he went because he was He Man. It was so cute. He has a 4 year old kid of his own now. She has some quirks,too--s6

Undercover
11-25-2013, 04:17 AM
My nephew used to wear a cape and carry a big plastic sword everywhere he went because he was He Man. It was so cute. He has a 4 year old kid of his own now. She has some quirks,too--s6

Yeah, well I always wanted Strawberry Shortcake curtains, the bed spread, the pillows you name it...but I didn't get it. I had some generic one with tiny little flowers. BUT I did have most of the shortcake dolls, and the doll house, plus the berry furniture and utensils and all that...BUT my mother gave it away...when I asked her to keep it for when I had kids. Assuming she did, I was all excited when I had a girl (after my first was a boy) and asked for it back and she was like, "Oh, that's long gone." I was like WTF? If I think about it long enough, I'll get pissed again....urgh. I know all that stuff I had (which everything was fully in tact and in excellent condition) it woulda been worth something more.

Jersey Chick
11-25-2013, 04:29 AM
Those were the days, back when MTV played music videos. Don't forget the parachute pants and ribbon barrettes. I loved my ribbon barrettes.

Love this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sv1I4q6lOpo)
We used to make ribbon barrettes in school. And friendship bracelets - usually during lunch. We'd all whip out the scotch tape and embroidery thread and start braiding. :D

We also use to make friendship pins - you'd bead safety pins and we'd all exchange them and slip the pins over our sneaker laces - and the sneakers were probably Tretorn.

shakeysix
11-25-2013, 04:56 AM
Oh, I had forgotten all about the Friendship pins. Annie, my youngest, still has four of her strawberry shortcakes on her dresser . She's thirty four. I did persuade her to give the tea set to her nieces. She also still has the first American Girl doll--only they were called Pleasant company back then. Her name is Kirsten and she still has the clothes, little lunch box, oat braid hat, the Christmas outfit and wreath with candles etc. I think that was the nineties though--s6

Undercover
11-25-2013, 05:50 AM
Yeah, the very original Strawberry Shortcake was the best. Annie's lucky, I bet those dolls are worth something good, especially if they're in mint condition.

I remember those barrettes with the ribbons, we did that stuff too. We'd have all sorts of colors to match our outfits.

Reminds me of the fringe on the handle bars of our bikes too.

shakeysix
11-25-2013, 06:34 AM
Back in the fifties streamers on handlebars were the last word in cool. Annie had a Big Wheel with a special seat on the handlebars for her Barbie. Ever have that one? My middle daughter, Gus, had one of those scooters with the big fat tires. Hannah, the oldest , had the Green Machine. We lived on a hill with a long, windy sidewalk leading to a semi busy street. The Green Machine was hands down the most popular ride on the block. They used to have Green Machine vs. Scooter drag races. Things got ugly sometimes. --s6

regdog
11-25-2013, 04:22 PM
Friendship pins, how could I have forgotten those. Remember the waky wall walker (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sv29a0bs_EE). Stick octopus that stuck the stuff and slid down it

Undercover
11-25-2013, 05:06 PM
I remember the Big Wheel. We never owned one but there was always one stray one on the block that everyone seem to ride.

Wasn't into the pins, but scratch and sniff stickers anyone?

Jersey Chick
11-25-2013, 08:40 PM
The Green Machine. I always wanted one, never got it.:cry:

I think they're back - but they can't possibly be as cool now as they were then...

shakeysix
11-25-2013, 09:09 PM
They are not. We looked at one for my grand daughter and it looked rickety. The old Green Machine could slam into a stone retaining wall and never get a scuff or dent. You kids didn't wear helmets back then either. Remember Trapper Keepers? my kids wouldn't go to school with any other brand--s6

Undercover
11-25-2013, 09:32 PM
Was anybody into Bozo? Or was that just a Chicago thing?

Man I loved the Bozo Buckets game and that huge spinning wheel with the names in it. My sister actually went on that show. She was just in the audience tho. But we used to set up little garbage bins, find something we could throw around and play all the time.

roundtable
11-25-2013, 09:32 PM
I laugh about some parts of the 80s now. Converse were considered the poor kids sneakers. If you didn't have Nikes, you were not cool. Jeans had to be Levis, Calvin Kleins, or if you were well-traveled, you could even get your Bobbie Brooks, courtesy of the then John Cougar.

After paying $60 for my daughter's highly desired Converse a couple Christmas's ago, I wish I'd stocked up back then when they were the poor kids shoes.

Thanks to my dad's job at IBM, we were the only family in my neighborhood to have a computer. Start with the TRS-80 that carried us into the 80s and then we upgraded to the true IBM PC. I can't count the number of hours I spent showing friends games like Adventure (text-based adventure game), played on that nice green screen. Then when some of the first PC games with graphics came out, we were amazed. Sierra Games drew all the neighborhood kids. And back then, if you needed a walk through for your game, you had to go to the store and buy it. The walk through came with an invisible ink pen so that you could reveal just as much of the hint as you needed.

Undercover
11-25-2013, 09:47 PM
Yeah that reminds me of the big clunky VCR my dad bought for like a million dollars back then. It was considered an upgrade to have that and have cable too. I remember when the cable co. was going door to door for it. I don't know how, but my mom convinced him it was a good idea.

But when we bought the VCR, it was one of those pop ups, where you had to slide the tape in that way. The first movie we rented was the Dark Crystal (which my dad had to put like a 50 dollar deposit for. We. were. amazed. (to say the least)

Gilroy Cullen
11-25-2013, 11:05 PM
Okay, must pull out the denim jackets and the sliced jeans. (Mine were done naturally as I climbed trees. No razors needed.)

Music - Um, let's see. J Giles Band (Centerfold), Def Lepard...

And who can forget that WEIRD AL got his start in the 80's!
Eat it, Fat, Stuck in a Closet with Vanna White...

Cartoons - GI Joe, Transformers, Ghostbusters ... Gummi Bears.

Movies - ET (scared the bejesus out of me), Ghostbusters... Was Space Balls 80s or 90s? I can't remember now...

Shoot, we still had beta in our house in the 80s.

shakeysix
11-25-2013, 11:08 PM
Did it look like the VCR in the tv show "The Goldbergs"? That's the one we had and yeah--it cots a fortune but it lasted 12 years.

Undercover
11-25-2013, 11:20 PM
Okay, must pull out the denim jackets and the sliced jeans. (Mine were done naturally as I climbed trees. No razors needed.)

Music - Um, let's see. J Giles Band (Centerfold), Def Lepard...

And who can forget that WEIRD AL got his start in the 80's!
Eat it, Fat, Stuck in a Closet with Vanna White...

Cartoons - GI Joe, Transformers, Ghostbusters ... Gummi Bears.

Movies - ET (scared the bejesus out of me), Ghostbusters... Was Space Balls 80s or 90s? I can't remember now...

Shoot, we still had beta in our house in the 80s.

All this and then some. haha. Totally remember Weird Al (and his videos) Ghostbusters, yes that too. ET, (I thought he was a slimmy, icky ugly ass alien, but everyone snuggled up to him with their plush ET doll. or those glossy t-shirts with the picture on the front.

I saw the previews of "The Goldbergs" but I haven't watched it yet. I was thinking of giving it a try though, but I never know when it's on. Is it any good?

quickWit
11-26-2013, 02:01 AM
Aloha, Mr. Hand!

Xelebes
11-26-2013, 02:07 AM
*plays with smurf dolls*

. . .

*stops to hum the TMNT theme*

That's all I remember of the 80s. Oh and Nitty Gritty Dirt Band because my parents liked listening to them.

Xelebes
11-26-2013, 02:13 AM

Power Rangers were a hit from 1992 to 1995 or so. I know I was a lamer after only seeing Power Rangers finally around 1995. At that point, it had already jumped the shark or something. Or maybe because it went from YTV to CFRN, it just wasn't that cool for those of us who didn't want to be seen as being of one of those families with only rabbit ears.

Undercover
11-26-2013, 03:16 AM
Oh, No, Mr. Bill!

Xelebes
11-26-2013, 08:08 AM
I remember small tidbits of the show "Square One"on PBS Spokane when we once got it on cable. Don't remember it much.

But I do certainly remember Casey and Finnigan! Never understood why CBC didn't show the C&F episodes of Mr. Dress-up as re-runs. Instead we were treated to Annie & Grannie. None of the new characters at the very end had any charm.

Brightdreamer
11-26-2013, 08:16 AM
I remember small tidbits of the show "Square One"on PBS Spokane when we once got it on cable. Don't remember it much.

Square One? That was a classic, one of those educational shows clearly written with the parent viewers in mind. I still get bits of that show stuck in my head randomly...

Speaking of, anyone remember The Great Space Coaster? Not nearly as memorable as Square One, but I watched it all the time as a kid.

Gilroy Cullen
11-26-2013, 05:07 PM
OMG! I loved Great Space Coaster!

"No gnues is good gnues with Gary Gnu."

regdog
11-26-2013, 05:58 PM
Like I am so sure that is so gnarly.

Cella
12-04-2013, 11:24 PM
We've got to move these....
.................................................. ..........refrigerators

Undercover
12-04-2013, 11:55 PM
Custom kitchen deliveries

shakeysix
12-04-2013, 11:59 PM
We gotta move these color TVeeEEeeeeEEEees!

KTC
12-05-2013, 12:05 AM
As an 80s teenager, I abide. (-:

This is Gary Gnu signing off.

Remember no gnews is good gnews.

KTC
12-05-2013, 12:06 AM
PS: Is it okay to say I had a crush on Henrietta Hippo?

http://www.hollywoodinvestigator.com/New%20Zoo%20Revue%20animals.jpg

benbradley
12-05-2013, 12:52 AM
I knew that not only was I no longer a teenager, but I didn't understand them, when I saw Max Headroom.

Undercover
12-05-2013, 01:47 AM
I'm still looking for a Bozo fan, anyone? Bueller?

Vito
12-05-2013, 03:48 AM
PS: Is it okay to say I had a crush on Henrietta Hippo?

http://www.hollywoodinvestigator.com/New%20Zoo%20Revue%20animals.jpg

Henrietta seems to be a lot older than she looks, because I remember watching "The New Zoo Revue" on TV way back in 1971 or 1972. So your crush is OK, if you're into that whole "May-December romance" thing

KTC
12-05-2013, 04:37 AM
Henrietta seems to be a lot older than she looks, because I remember watching "The New Zoo Revue" on TV way back in 1971 or 1972. So your crush is OK, if you're into that whole "May-December romance" thing

Oh, I watched her it back then, too. I had a lovely resurgence in the 80s, though. I know it was because Henrietta was so hot. Right.

Vito
12-05-2013, 04:54 AM
Oh, I watched her it back then, too. I had a lovely resurgence in the 80s, though. I know it was because Henrietta was so hot.

I feel your pain, man. Sometimes those chicks come back to haunt you, whether you want 'em to or not.

Cella
01-07-2014, 12:37 AM
Did I leave my LEGO Maniac in here?

Gilroy Cullen
01-07-2014, 12:48 AM
Ah. The good old days when you got just LEGO sets with no preset plans...

Undercover
01-07-2014, 01:17 AM
...i'm still looking for my strawberry shortcake doll.

i think Ona took it from me

Cella
01-07-2014, 01:21 AM
She takes everyone's strawberries....

Jett.
01-07-2014, 01:31 AM
< is walking like an Egyptian
Way-oh-way-oh-way-ooo-aaa-ooo!