PDA

View Full Version : How do you feel about the Oscars?

rhymegirl
02-26-2006, 05:40 AM
1. I love watching every year so I'll be watching!
2. I've got money on it, that's the only reason I'm watching.
3. I haven't seen any of the nominated flicks so who cares?
4. I'd rather have a root canal than watch that thing.
5. What are the Oscars?

AdamH
02-26-2006, 06:49 AM
The last few years for me it's one of those shows that I'll watch if there's nothing else on or flick to during commercials but I'm always curious to see who wins.

This year though I'll probably watch it all the way through just because Jon Stewart is hosting. If this year's Oscars is half as funny as eight back-to-back episodes of the Daily Show, it'll be pretty good. I'll still change the channel on the acceptance speeches though.

robeiae
02-26-2006, 07:32 AM
I think Oscar Madison is a tad funnier than Oscar the Grouch.

I wish I had an Oscar Meyer Weiner.

Rob :)

Shadow_Ferret
02-26-2006, 08:40 AM
I used to really get into film at one time, following the Oscar race, paying attention to all the nominated films. I subscribed to several film magazines. I knew all the actors, directors, etc.

Then I got a life.

rhymegirl
02-26-2006, 05:40 PM
I've only seen one of the nominated films.

robeiae
02-26-2006, 05:59 PM
Then I got a life.
I'm leasing mine. But I do have a buy-out option when the leasing agreement expires.

Rob :)

Carole
02-26-2006, 06:06 PM
I was looking for the option of, I don't care either way.

I don't hate the Oscars but I also can't remember the last time I saw it.

PattiTheWicked
02-26-2006, 06:42 PM
I've found that the Oscars are a waste of valuable airtime which could be better spent watching reruns of Lost in the hopes that I'll get to see Josh Holloway take his shirt off.

rhymegirl
02-26-2006, 06:55 PM
I've found that the Oscars are a waste of valuable airtime which could be better spent watching reruns of Lost in the hopes that I'll get to see Josh Holloway take his shirt off.

That show "Lost" sure has some interesting scenery, doesn't it?

Yeshanu
02-26-2006, 09:14 PM
The last time I watched the Oscars was two years ago, because I wanted to watch Return of the King walk away with all the prizes. :tongue

Generally, I only watch the Oscars if there's a film that I really liked that's been nominated for a lot of awards. Which is not often, as most of the films I prefer aren't Oscar-type films.

DamaNegra
02-26-2006, 09:19 PM
I think Oscars are a waste of time. But then again, I think watching anything but 'El Privilegio de Mandar' on TV is a waste of time.

'El Privilegio de Mandar' is like the best show ever. It's a parody of Mexican government and Mexican politicians. Hilarious! I just hope the next president will allow it to run on air...

aadams73
02-26-2006, 09:31 PM
I love the Oscars, but I'd love it more if there were fewer commercials. This year I've seen three of the Best Picture nominees and haven't been totally thrilled with any of them. If I'm honest though, I mostly watch for the fashions.

maestrowork
02-26-2006, 09:45 PM
I'm into films so I'll be watching. I've seen all five Best Picture nominees this year. But I don't like to self-congratulatory stuff -- it's boring to me. I root for the filmmakers I think deserve to win though, because I do know an Oscar win would help their career. Besides, some parts of the show are pretty entertaining. It's definitely better than watching golf tournaments...

ChaosTitan
02-27-2006, 06:16 AM
I've watched the Oscars every year since 1997. Before then, I didn't really care. I always have my favorites, and I've gotten pretty good at guessing the winners (even if they aren't the ones I wanted to win). I'm excited to see Jon Stewart hosting this year. He is hilarious.

Here are my predictions in the six major categories. Who I think will win, and the ones I'm rooting for to win.

BEST PICTURE: Will win, Brokeback Mountain. Should win, Crash.
DIRECTOR: Will win, Ang Lee for BBM. Should win, Ang Lee.

ACTOR: Will win, Philip Seymour Hoffman for Capote. Should win, Joaquin Phoenix for Walk the Line.
ACTRESS: Will win, Felicity Huffman for Transamerica. Should win, same.

SUPPORTING ACTOR: Will win, Paul Giamatti for Cinderella Man. Should win, Matt Dillon for Crash.
SUPPORTING ACTRESS: Will win, Michelle Williams for BBM. Should win, same.

rhymegirl
03-06-2006, 02:56 AM
Bump.

veinglory
03-06-2006, 03:11 AM
what is the channel and time--I find all these US channels so confuddling

Maryn
03-06-2006, 03:13 AM
While I don't think the awards always go to the best performances/films/songs/whatever, we watch most years, with a glass of wine in hand (because everything's more entertaining that way, you know). This year we made a point of seeing all the nominees for best picture and most of the best actor/best actress films, too, so it's more interesting than in the years when we didn't get out as much.

Maryn, crossing her fingers for Huffman and Hoffman

Maryn
03-06-2006, 03:15 AM
In the US, it's being broadcast on ABC, veinglory--although the channel or station number varies depending on location.

I understand that in many parts of the world, it's not being aired on any broadcast network or even the lower tier of cable. Some online acquaintances in France and Italy were pretty steamed.

Maryn

alleycat
03-06-2006, 03:19 AM
I'm rooting for hometown girl, Reese Witherspoon, who did a great job in Walk the Line.

However, I usually only watch about an hour or so of the Oscars. After a while the acceptance speeches and smuggest of the whole thing gets to be too much for me.

ac

writerterri
03-06-2006, 03:24 AM
who cares! I'm going to watch something else. I don't like many celebs, they over rate themselves.

Actually, I am rather anti-celebrity with the exception of a few.

poetinahat
03-06-2006, 03:30 AM
Hope you all enjoy. Watching the films is where my interest ends, so you're welcome to my seat!

jackie106
03-06-2006, 03:32 AM
I think Oscars are a waste of time. But then again, I think watching anything but 'El Privilegio de Mandar' on TV is a waste of time.

'El Privilegio de Mandar' is like the best show ever. It's a parody of Mexican government and Mexican politicians. Hilarious! I just hope the next president will allow it to run on air...

This show sounds fascinating. I wonder if they will air "El Privilegio de Mandar" in Chicago. We have two or three Spanish-language stations here and it would give me an opportunity to practice my Spanish.

veinglory
03-06-2006, 03:41 AM
I liike to watch any 'big' events just to be part of things. I even watched the superbowl and frankly it wasn;t for the American Football.

eldragon
03-06-2006, 03:42 AM
We don't watch TV, so the Oscars aren't an option here, but we do have "Walk the Line," and plan on watching it.

rhymegirl
03-06-2006, 04:20 AM
what is the channel and time--I find all these US channels so confuddling

It's on at 8 PM, eastern time, ABC.

September skies
03-06-2006, 08:28 AM
I usually don't see the movies until after (but that is because I wait for the videos - rarely go to movies)

But I always keep the Oscars on in the background and I tune in and out. They just went over the "In Memoriam" -- which I love to watch. It's nice to remember all of the actors/producers/choreographers, etc. that have died over the past year.

But I was shocked!! They didn't include Don Knotts! What's with that? Or do they stop at a certain time - like Jan. 30 or whatever date. I know the clip may have already been done, but he died a few days ago, but they could have said something -- and this is Hollywood - they could edit a last minute split and add something to the ending.....

very disappointed that they left him out. I remember watching past years where they added a last minute actor who died just a week or two before the awards.

ChaosTitan
03-06-2006, 08:28 AM
Crash :PartySmil

Reese Witherspoon. :Trophy:

Anyone else think the chick who accepted the Adapted Screenplay award for Brokeback Mountain look like she was in pain?

Jcomp
03-06-2006, 05:56 PM
I feel like 3-6 Mafia just won a f****ng Oscar for a song about pimping. Or rather, how hard it is to be a pimp. Pardon me while I go vom now....

rhymegirl
03-06-2006, 06:00 PM
We were watching the Oscars last night after we all voted. Man, most of us did pitifully. I got 3 out of 4 of the main categories right, but I got Best Picture wrong. Crash is the only movie of the 5 I actually saw and I liked it, but I kept hearing that Brokeback Mountain would win so I voted for that.

NeuroFizz
03-06-2006, 06:36 PM
The movie biz is the most self-stroking industry in existence, and I personally believe that kind of thing should be done (and appreciated) in private. Besides, there was some kick-a$$ March Madness basketball going on. Who cares if Capote Crashed into Brokeback Mountain while trying to Walk the Line?

Haggis
03-06-2006, 06:40 PM
I'm happy that at least one person named "Haggis" can win an award for his writing. http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/EmoteShrug.gif

Sheryl Nantus
03-06-2006, 06:41 PM
there really is no connection between Hollywood and the real world nowadays... and if George Clooney thinks that Hollywood singlehandedly brought civil rights to the foreground, he's definitely fallen off the reality wagon.

Jcomp
03-06-2006, 07:16 PM
there really is no connection between Hollywood and the real world nowadays...

Was there ever?

WerenCole
03-06-2006, 09:40 PM
We always like to turn th Oscars into a drinking game.. . . everytime a celebrity on the red carpet says or does somthing stupid, we have a drink. For every category we try to pick a winner, and the losers drink. Every time we see Astara Jones or whatever her name is, giggle, we drink. Everytime that Joan Rivers says something, anything, we drink to kill the pain.

I, uh, didn't watch, but damn am I hungover.

TheGaffer
03-06-2006, 10:53 PM
I'm psyched that Three 6 Mafia won for the "Pimp" song, if only because it recognizes Hustle & Flow, one of the best movies of the year. Crash was my least favorite of the five nominees, but then again, I was hoping Syriana would have been in there, and it wasn't.

there really is no connection between Hollywood and the real world nowadays...
your point being?

clara bow
03-06-2006, 10:57 PM
But I was shocked!! They didn't include Don Knotts! What's with that? Or do they stop at a certain time - like Jan. 30 or whatever date. I know the clip may have already been done, but he died a few days ago, but they could have said something -- and this is Hollywood - they could edit a last minute split and add something to the ending.....

very disappointed that they left him out. I remember watching past years where they added a last minute actor who died just a week or two before the awards.

I was hoping to see him honored, too! Since he passed away in 2006, he'll probably be saluted during next year's memorium. However, I believe Chris Penn was included, even though he passed away in January. Go figure.

Also, was it just me, or did anyone else suspect Tom Hanks of dropping the f-bomb when he came out to present? There were some wonky moments during last night's telecast. :tongue

aadams73
03-06-2006, 11:01 PM
I Crash was my least favorite of the five nominees, but then again, I was hoping Syriana would have been in there, and it wasn't.

I really liked Crash and was glad that it won, but like you I was disappointed that Syriana wasn't nominated. For anyone that hasn't seen Syriana, it really is an excellent movie and gives you real insight into the politics of oil production and the relationship between the middle east and oil-hungry countries.

rhymegirl
03-06-2006, 11:11 PM
Also, was it just me, or did anyone else suspect Tom Hanks of dropping the f-bomb when he came out to present? There were some wonky moments during last night's telecast. :tongue

Yeah, I thought he said the f word, too.

And how about when Jennifer Garner tripped twice on her gown?

William Haskins
03-06-2006, 11:17 PM
everytime a celebrity on the red carpet says or does somthing stupid, we have a drink.

wouldn't this require a steadily-flowing IV?

clara bow
03-06-2006, 11:20 PM
Yeah, I thought he said the f word, too.

And how about when Jennifer Garner tripped twice on her gown?

yeah! funny! One time I heard the director speaking. When Lauren Bacall lost her place with the teleprompter, I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. I had to turn my head; it was too painful to watch.

TheGaffer
03-06-2006, 11:39 PM
Lauren Bacall looked a little rough, like her age was catching up to her, actually; she seemed to lose her place a few times. Which was too bad.

reph
03-06-2006, 11:48 PM
Bacall was reading like someone with blurred vision. She must have cataracts or another eye problem.

unthoughtknown
03-06-2006, 11:58 PM
Yay for Ang Lee!

ChaosTitan
03-07-2006, 07:04 AM
Bacall was reading like someone with blurred vision. She must have cataracts or another eye problem.

It could have been a problem with the prompter. I can't remember now if it was the Golden Globes or the SAG Awards, but most of the presenters ended up reading off paper because the prompters were messed up.

I was also surprised by the number of actors (recent and not so recent passings) that were left off the In Memorium clips. Do they only honor past nominees/winners?

AdamH
03-07-2006, 07:32 AM
I was also surprised by the number of actors (recent and not so recent passings) that were left off the In Memorium clips. Do they only honor past nominees/winners?

As far as I know, they honour any one who had an effect on the medium...could be wrong. I do know that they only show people who've passed in the way in the past year (as in 2005), so that's most likely why Don Knotts was excluded. He should be in next year's clip.

So what'd everyone think of Jon Stewart as host? I thought he was what I expected him to be. He basically did his Daily Show schtick which I always enjoy.

Richard White
03-07-2006, 07:35 AM
The only things I was worried about was "Would March of the Penguins" win best documentary and would either "Howl's Moving Castle or Wallace and Gromit" win best Animated.

Beyond that, I didn't care. Luckily, they were announced early and friends posted the information on their blogs, so I was able to ignore them after that.

None of the big "nominated" films interested me in the least.

reph
03-07-2006, 08:44 AM
I didn't notice anyone but Bacall having trouble with the prompter.

The cutoff for In Memoriam is Feb. 1 of the current year.

Stew21
03-07-2006, 07:20 PM
I was surprised to see that Chris Penn died. How did it happen? I don't remember hearing about it.

ChaosTitan
03-07-2006, 08:20 PM
He died in January of an enlarged heart (http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/california/la-me-penn14feb14,0,5362758.story?coll=la-headlines-pe-california).