PDA

View Full Version : POD copies of book pubbed by e-publisher

thebird
11-20-2013, 09:49 PM
My first book releases in December by an e-publisher who lets writers retain print rights. I am interested in doing some sort of Amazon print on demand feature so that readers can get a physical copy if they wish. Is this something other e-pubbed writers have done? Would I be able to use the ebook cover for the POD copy, or would I need to create another one? I looked through my contract and there isn't any information about it. Also, how did you go about linking the ebook copy to the POD copy, since one would be under the publisher's name, and the other would technically be self published?

Any help or insights are greatly appreciated!

Laer Carroll
11-21-2013, 12:45 AM
Unless the image is owned by someone else, you are free to use it for your POD book. I create my own covers and so do that.

There are a few differences between the image you submit to Kindle and CreateSpace. The required sizes for the first has a ratio of 1.6 x 1 H x W, for CS 1.5 x 1. I use 1600 x 1000 pixels and 1500 x 1000 respectively.

That means you must put all text within the boundaries of the CS image. (I like to give the text even more room. See my SIG for an example.)

As to matching the entries up on Amazon and B&N, both sites automatically do that. At least for me the robots did, and when I complained about a problem on each, they apologized and did it for me.

One pointer, related but not directly. Be sure to create an Author Page on both Amazon and B&N. The two sites are pretty good about helping you do that. Readers having trouble finding all your books another way can then do it via the Author Page.

sheadakota
11-21-2013, 01:16 AM
Talk to your publisher as to the ownership of any cover art. I recently regained my print rights back from my publisher. They still own digital rights. For my print version I needed to create a new cover and a new isbn number for the print version. This book was in print with my publisher before so I am calling this the author's edition.

Old Hack
11-21-2013, 01:36 AM
My first book releases in December by an e-publisher who lets writers retain print rights. I am interested in doing some sort of Amazon print on demand feature so that readers can get a physical copy if they wish. Is this something other e-pubbed writers have done?

Yes! But there are complications which you have to be aware of. For example, does your contract give you the right to use the publisher's edited version?

Would I be able to use the ebook cover for the POD copy, or would I need to create another one?

You wouldn't be able to use it without the publisher's permission; and even if they gave you permission you'd have to ensure you had the rights to use it from everyone else involved (such as the owners of any stock images used, which might have only been licensed for e-books and not print editons, or the designer who created the image who again might have only licensed electronic rights to the publisher). You'd have to alter it to make it clear it was a self-published edition and not the publisher's version. And you'd have to create the rest of the publisher as an e-book only has a front cover, and a print book has a spine and a back cover too.

I looked through my contract and there isn't any information about it.

That's because your contract only deals with the edition that your publisher is bringing to market.

You might want to talk to your editor about this.

Also, how did you go about linking the ebook copy to the POD copy, since one would be under the publisher's name, and the other would technically be self published?

On Amazon you'd do that through the author page. Elsewhere, I bet there are similar methods.

Unless the image is owned by someone else, you are free to use it for your POD book. I create my own covers and so do that.

No, you're not free to do this, Laer. You can't just grab a publisher's cover and use it on your self published edition, even if it was designed for your book.

If you're doing this and haven't got explicit written permission you're storing up all sorts of trouble for yourself. Please be careful.

Ralyks
11-21-2013, 02:43 AM
The publisher owns the cover. You can't just use it. However, CreateSpace has a fairly easy cover design creator you can use. You can use one of their stock photos (which I don't recommend because of the frequency of use of these photos on other book covers), or you can find and purchase a royalty-free photo at one of the many websites. depositphotos.com is one of the more affordable places I've found, and the photos come out to about $5 a pop. (If you write erotica, you might not be able to do this; check the fine print.) Upload a photo and then use the cover creator to put on the title and author name, or put on the title and author name in Adobe, Paint, Publisher, or some other software and upload the whole thing as a cover. The CreateSpace cover creator lets you put in the text you want on the back, and author photo if you want, etc. and designs the cover, spine and all, so if you don't do covers normally, you can walk through it easily. Last time I did a book with them, they also had free expanded distribution, though I don't know if they are doing that anymore. The percentage royalty you get on distribution to channels outside of CreateSpace or Amazon is PUNY, however.

Once your createspace POD book is up, contact Amazon through your author page and ask them to link the ebook and POD paperback. They usually get it done in about three days.

Laer Carroll
11-21-2013, 04:07 AM

No, you're not free to do this, Laer. You can't just grab a publisher's cover and use it on your self published edition, even if it was designed for your book.

If you're doing this and haven't got explicit written permission you're storing up all sorts of trouble for yourself. Please be careful.

Quite right. I should have said if you and only you own your cover image (and back cover, and spine) you are free to re-use them on Amazon. They are quite explicit about that. So is CreateSpace. (Although owned by Amazon, their contract is a separate one.) So is B&N’s NookPress.

That is my interpretation of the three contracts. But you should do an independent check. Be aware that just any attorney cannot advise you on this, only an intellectual property rights attorney.

I create my own covers, post them on my web site first, and copyright them.

IF you do create your own cover, make sure all parts of it are owned by you or you have rights to them. Lots of art is available for purchase on the web, some of it absolutely wonderful. You can also use public domain images, and those with a Creative Commons license (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creative_Commons_license) -- as long as the specific CCL EXPLICITLY states that it can be used for commercial purposes.

In the book covers in my sig, the first four backgrounds are photos I took while touring Ireland, the fifth was bought, and the sixth is a public domain image (a status explicitly declared on the site from which I got it).

Laer Carroll
11-25-2013, 06:09 AM
How did you go about linking the ebook copy to the POD copy, since one would be under the publisher's name, and the other would technically be self published?

If you self-publish your book through Amazon and CreateSpace, be sure you set the title EXACTLY the same. TITLE (VOL 1) and TITLE (VOL. 1) are not the same because the second has a period in it and the first does not. (I believe you have to exactly match the blanks too.) In that case the Amazon site automatically uses the same entry for both books, with two lines linking to the ebook and the POD versions so that customers can buy one or the other.

In your case, thebird, to get this automatic linking, you have to know the exact title your ebook publisher will use for it. Then when you set up the CreateSpace book use that exact title.

If you fail, you can then manually do the linking or ask Amazon to do it. I suggest the first. The results show up in just a few hours. Otherwise it may take days.