Oxford Dictionary 2013 Word of the Year

Status
Not open for further replies.

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
The Oxford Dictionary releases a Word of the Year every year. They've chosen the winner for 2013.

Selfie :Shrug:

Shoot me. The Apocalypse is here. :partyguy:

Gena_Skyler

Registered
Reaction score
Wow... That's... Wow.

On a side note, I always thought a better spelling for that would be cellphie, because the pictures are usually taken with a cell phone.

Last edited:

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
I suppose the rise of tablets cut that one off, Gena.

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
Also cell phone is not a term used in Australia. We use mobile phone instead.

I am partly proud, partly embarrassed to have been a member of the forum on which the term was coined --- Dr Karl's Self Service Science Forum (SSSF for short). It was hosted by the ABC until they decided to close it down a year or so ago.

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The Oxford people also deleted the "Oxford" comma (also known as the Harvard comma, IIRC) from their style guide. I don't think it's a sign of End Times, but I think there's something funky in the water over there.

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
I am a proud member of the Never-Took-A-Selfie Society. We hang out with the Forty-Year-Old Virgins.

I'd rather take pictures of funky bugs and plants and weird rock formations than of me. Though I might have a pic of my foot with a funky bug on it somewhere.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I suggest SHELFIE. Authors pictured standing in front of their bookshelves. There.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Can't lie...it already exists. There's a tumblr out there somewhere... Can't recall the link.

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
Well the requirement for getting the award simply seems to be that the use of the word rise in popularity . . . so yeah. >.>

Becky Black

Writing my way off the B Ark
Registered
Reaction score
Website
beckyblack.wordpress.com
Yes, it's not an award for "best" word of the year, just a word that's gained in popularity, looks like it has staying power and kind of typifies the year.

My favourite selfies are inadvertent cat selfies - which generally happen when a laptop is set to snap a pic of whoever wakes it up. Which is sometimes a cat messing with the mouse or trackpad. They usually look so startled. :D

Last edited:

Clifforis

Clifforis
Registered
Reaction score
Website
eoinclifford.blogspot.ie
I always thought a selfie referred to an action involving pleasuring one's self, as favoured by Michael Fassbender's character in the movie 'Shame'

RedWombat

Runs With Scissors
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ursulavernon.com
I admit, I've come around on the lowly selfie. I have taken all of one in my life, and found it was the first time I've ever taken a photo that looks like I look when I see myself in the mirror, as opposed to "Dear god! Who pumped the bloating gas in the room?" or "Oh good, I'm either asleep or look like I've been hit with a board. No middle ground."

That might not have convinced me alone, but there was a long run on Twitter about it a few days ago where a number of people pointed out that if you aren't conventionally media-approved pretty, selfies may be the primary way you see images of people who look like you--and quite possibly the only way you see people who look like you going "I'm beautiful, damnit!" And hell, I can't argue with that at all.

So I think there's some value there, even if I wish we could have found a more elegant phrase. ("Self-portrait" would have been fine!)

Gena_Skyler

Registered
Reaction score
I suppose the rise of tablets cut that one off, Gena.

Yes, that would make sense. It's really too bad though. :(

Also cell phone is not a term used in Australia. We use mobile phone instead.

Good point.

On a side note, I have been guilty of snapping a few of myself. Though, I will say this: It has never been in front of the bathroom mirror. :D

Rina Evans

Registered
Reaction score
I admit, I've come around on the lowly selfie. I have taken all of one in my life, and found it was the first time I've ever taken a photo that looks like I look when I see myself in the mirror, as opposed to "Dear god! Who pumped the bloating gas in the room?" or "Oh good, I'm either asleep or look like I've been hit with a board. No middle ground."

That might not have convinced me alone, but there was a long run on Twitter about it a few days ago where a number of people pointed out that if you aren't conventionally media-approved pretty, selfies may be the primary way you see images of people who look like you--and quite possibly the only way you see people who look like you going "I'm beautiful, damnit!" And hell, I can't argue with that at all.

So I think there's some value there, even if I wish we could have found a more elegant phrase. ("Self-portrait" would have been fine!)

Exactly. What's wrong with selfies? Let girls (it's primarily girls, I've seen) take control over their own image which they present online. It might be the only time they feel like they can look good. You find your best angle, best light, you can delete all the pictures you don't like. I really dislike when people whine about selfies. Let people do their thing.

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
Exactly. What's wrong with selfies? Let girls (it's primarily girls, I've seen) take control over their own image which they present online. It might be the only time they feel like they can look good. You find your best angle, best light, you can delete all the pictures you don't like. I really dislike when people whine about selfies. Let people do their thing.

I'm OK with more girls taking pics of themselves in the bathroom mirror.:censored

I'll go away now. :gone:

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm just glad the Word of the Year was selfie and not twerk.

Status
Not open for further replies.