To vs. Too

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elwyn

Registered
Reaction score
This is often confusing to me; maybe to you too? Does anyone know of a Web site that makes the differences clear which of the two to use?

Thanks,
Elwyn the confused.:(

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
Actually, it's pretty easy with a couple of tricks.

Think of too as meaning, "also", "in addition" "along with".

Bob went to the store. Sally went, too.

When only one person goes, the word has ONE "o". Add a second person, add a second "o". Easy!

When counting the number of people or things, you're "cow-nting." The proper word ALSO has a "wuh" sound. Co-wuh, too-wuh. So, two.

Everything else that ISN'T these others, uses to.

:)

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Too/to

"Too" is an adverb, and "to" is a preposition.

"Too" is also used in a sentence such as "There are too many cooks in the kitchen."

How many are there? I don't know, but too many. Definitely more than two. And I'm going to give hell to all of them."

"Two" is a specific number. "Too" might be thought of as an indefinite number, or as CatchC says, an addition, whether it's "I'm going, too," or "We're going, too." "To" isn't a number at all.

Vanessa

Writer and Music Producer
Registered
Reaction score
I have lots of grammar issues, but this one has never been one of them. For some reason it's very easy for me to clarify the differences. But when it comes to structure and other grammatical concerns, ooh boy I'm in trouble!
wink.gif
Everyone above has offered great information Elwyn. Great Wishes.

reph

Fig of authority
Registered
Reaction score
"Too" means "excessively." It has a double dose of Os: too many Os. Its soundalikes, "to" and "two," have modest helpings of Os, just one each.

Nightwritings

Good advice

Hi

I think 'Jamesaritchie's' advice is about the best you can get though I have to say that 'kyleh767' has put a great link on here. I struggled with this problem for years so good luck and keep trying!

Stewart

Status
Not open for further replies.