Status
Not open for further replies.

Vince524

Are you gonna finish that bacon?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
My first book comes out in late December and I'm trying to get some stuff together for promo and for maybe a giveaway, but I don't have a lot of $$$

One idea I had were book marks. I found a site that if you upload a template you can get 1000 for $36 pl s&h. I know someone who did it through them and is happy with the product. But I don't have the ability to make a template. Any idea how? I don't have Publisher, just word.

Also, any other ideas for swag that's not expensive?

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Vince, as you've not had any response to this thread in Book Promotion I'm going to move it to our Art and Design room to see if that helps.

Meanwhile, I suggest you hunt down Nicola Morgan's recent blog post about why she's not going to produce post cards for her books any more; and if your book is coming out in e-book format only I'd consider the wisdom of producing bookmarks for it. I'm on a wobbly connection right now or I'd find you the link and check the formats your book will be available in: please forgive me for leaving the work to you.

Jamiekswriter

USA Today Bestselling Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jkschmidt.com
Just my .02 but you'll probably never need close to 1,000 for one book. (I have a hard time going through 100). A better investment might be business cards with your name, website and social media contacts on it.

You might be able to find Word bookmark templates on Microsoft's site. Otherwise if you draw a long box in Word, you can use text boxes to put a picture in and then you can craft your own information. Then just paste it three more times on the landscape page. Then you can take the file down to staples and print out a few copies to start. If you need more, you can always go the bulk route.

This might sound like a dumb idea, but you might have a better buzz rate if you give away those "rainbow loom" bracelets. They're cheap enough, and collectible and if you can do them in the colors of cover like black and green it's something that someone will keep around instead of chucking.

Then you could punch a hole in the business card and thread the bracelet through the hole and use that as a prize or giveaway.

Last edited:

Gale Haut

waxing digital artistic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.galehaut.com
What is the book about? Have you considered email, using web banners where your demographic has high traffic, or spending extra time on inbound marketing strategy? (I'm not assuming you haven't I'm just trying to help). Most of these options can be very affordable and will return your investment back to you if you spend enough time planning them well.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I've never bought a book because of any of those things, Gale: have you?

Vince524

Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
What is the book about? Have you considered email, using web banners where your demographic has high traffic, or spending extra time on inbound marketing strategy? (I'm not assuming you haven't I'm just trying to help). Most of these options can be very affordable and will return your investment back to you if you spend enough time planning them well.

It's a paranormal romance. Upper YA. Here's the blurb.

Is Bristol Blackburn about to meet the love of her life...or her killer?

After the death of her parents, Bristol Blackburn's life is thrown into chaos and she's forced to move to Spirit, a small town where shadows are stirring. As she learns to navigate her new school and figures out how to keep her psychic abilities secret from her family, Bristol comes face to face with the boy who makes a regular appearance in her dreams: the gorgeous, possibly deadly, Payne McKnight. Soon she’ll find out if Payne will be the love of her life, or the end of it — and she has no idea which possibility scares her more.

And that's not even the worst of it. Strange shadows are haunting her dreams, and they're up to something that could put Bristol and the lives of everyone she loves in jeopardy

I figured the bookmarks would just be a way to get the word out. And I could use it as a giveaway for the blog tour.

As far as the other stuff, I'd like to do that stuff too, but I have no idea how to go about it. Heck, I'm not even sure what most of that is. How do I do email to advertise? I don't want to spam people. I was thinking of a newsletter, but who the heck would sign up for it as it's my first book.

Inbound marketing strategy? No clue.

Any help or guidance is greatly appreciated and thanks everyone for your input.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Yes. Though I've never bought one because of a bookmark.

No, neither have I. I like bookmarks, I use them, but I don't think I've ever bought a book because of one.

Here's what Nicola has to say about postcards:

I recently conducted some modestly scientific research and I bring you the results: buying postcards in an attempt to support my books is a) far too expensive and b) utterly pointless if measured by ensuing book sales.

I agree with Nicola; but I'm also skeptical that the things you outlined are going to work any more effectively than the postcards Nicola is no longer going to buy.

As far as the other stuff, I'd like to do that stuff too, but I have no idea how to go about it. Heck, I'm not even sure what most of that is. How do I do email to advertise? I don't want to spam people. I was thinking of a newsletter, but who the heck would sign up for it as it's my first book.

Inbound marketing strategy? No clue.

Vince, I'm glad you said that. You're not the only one. I was hoping Gale would explain a little more, but he hasn't: perhaps he will now.

Gather round, children. I am about to tell you a story which appears to be all about me.

A long time ago, I was a marketing director for a small division of a huge company. Before I turned up, marketing there consisted mostly of buying ads in the magazines which reviewed the computer games the company published, sending out review copies, and arranging launch parties for the press who would then, it was hoped, review the games favourably because we'd given them an evening of free food and drink. It worked reasonably well, but no one could tell me what happened when we didn't do any of that stuff, or what else might be effective, or how to focus our efforts to reach more specific gamers.

I asked those questions and couldn't understand half of the answers I was given, because all those marketing types talked in jargon. This made it hard for anyone outside that jargon loop to understand what they were talking about; and it led to all sorts of confusion as people had different understandings of the various phrases used. And confusion is not good. Clarity is much better.

So I asked my staff to produce a very brief report--half a page, perhaps--on each activity they planned to do, before they did it, which spelled out how much it would cost, who they hoped it would reach, why those were the right people to be reaching for this title, and so on; and I asked them to use plain English, rather than jargon.

I also compared the launch party guest-lists to the resulting reviews, and discovered that the same four or five reviewers routinely gave our games good coverage, but that the other fifty or sixty people who attended those events did very little to help promote our games.

My staff didn't like my changes one bit. But they were really helpful, and they worked.

We stopped buying ads just because that's what had always been done; we stopped throwing parties for every title and instead took those four or five reviewers out for lunch or dinner every month or two, and gave them exclusive previews and exciting stuff. And we switched much of our marketing spend from trade events to more public events, so that we were focusing on the gamers directly.

How well did it work? One of the sales departments which I worked very closely with had an average monthly turnover of £5,000 when I joined the company. The third month after I joined its turnover was £250,000, and it maintained an average turnover of about £180,000 after that. I was quite pleased with that result, especially as I'd negotiated a commission based on a percentage of turnover. Ha!

All I did was look at what was being done, and see if it could be done more effectively. Which is what Nicola Morgan has done in the article I linked to above. We could all do that now, for our books. It's difficult if you're working alone and don't have much data to work with, but it can be done.

What is the book about? Have you considered email,

Emails from people I don't know get deleted unopened. I don't usually subscribe to newsletters and when I do, I rarely actually read them. And there's a whiff of spamminess from email selling which puts me off buying any books advertised this way.

using web banners where your demographic has high traffic,

I don't buy books because I see them in web banners. I can see how this might work for non-fiction; but when it comes to fiction I'll probably already be aware of forthcoming novels written by authors I know and like, and I'm certainly not going to buy novels from writers I don't know because of a web banner. It's just not going to happen. I discover new writers by browsing for them, not through online advertising.

or spending extra time on inbound marketing strategy?

Please clarify what you mean by this because while I could make a stab at it, I can't be sure I've got it right.

(I'm not assuming you haven't I'm just trying to help). Most of these options can be very affordable and will return your investment back to you if you spend enough time planning them well.

I'm interested to hear that most of these options will earn enough to return the original investment: do you have any sources or anecdotes which support this claim? I'm sure that many of our members could benefit from such help.

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
I wouldn't enter a giveaway for a bookmark unless it was an author I already liked and it was signed. I wouldn't pick up a bookmark for an author I knew nothing about. Bookmarks are really something for people who are already your fans. I'm not saying you should never do stuff for loyal fans... but realistically, they'll be just as happy that you spent a bit of time chatting to them.

I'm not convinced paying for ads on websites does much either, given the experiences I've seen posted here. People are lucky to make a handful of sales. At least with things like guest blogging, if it doesn't work, you've lost a little time. That isn't nearly so painful for someone on a tight budget.

Vince524

Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
I ended up not going with bookmarks.

I ordered 3 canvas bags with the picture on it, 10 pens and 10 magnate calenders. Figures those would be good for giveaway's. And maybe a couple the calender would make a good Christmas present for my father who can't seem to remember that I have a book coming out.

However, I'd still be very interested in finding out about the marketing stuff mentioned above.

Please use small words.

CetiAlphaVI

Registered
Reaction score
Yes. Though I've never bought one because of a bookmark.

Neither have I, but I have gotten promotional bookmarks from local writers, and when I got home, I went to their website to check out their book. It wasn't my type of book, but if it had been, I probably would have bought.

If you do use something like a bookmark, make sure it easily leads the item holder back to your web presence.

Gale Haut

waxing digital artistic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.galehaut.com
I ended up not going with bookmarks.

I ordered 3 canvas bags with the picture on it, 10 pens and 10 magnate calenders. Figures those would be good for giveaway's. And maybe a couple the calender would make a good Christmas present for my father who can't seem to remember that I have a book coming out.

However, I'd still be very interested in finding out about the marketing stuff mentioned above.

Please use small words.

Consider where the people who would buy your book are likely to spend their time online and become a part of their world.

Even knowing the genre, I don't really know enough about the book to give you specific advice. I could venture a guess or point you in a good direction. You might become an active member of a wyccan community or paranormal sightings forum and establish yourself as a reasonable voice in the community. You could set up a web banner on a popular website that dotes on teen relationships. You can send free copies to popular romance and paranormal review sites, and don't waste time with sites that don't receive any traffic.

Who's a celebrity that has an online presence that's powerful and appeals to your reader base. Smaller celebrities or bigger celebrities. Give them a free copy. You never know if they'll fall in love with your story and want their readers to know about your awesome book. Make sure to personalize every single copy you send out so they know you thought of them specifically as someone who would really identify with your work.

Where ever you end up being present, you always have to include some sort of call to action. They need to know that you have something they want, and it should be obvious how they can get their hands on it. Even though it feels dirty to write things like "Click here" and "Buy this," they are not upsetting to read when the person's interest is already piqued and they've learned to trust you based on whatever value you've associated your product with.

Breaking it down:
1. Figure out where the potential reader is.
2. Be present and active in that location.
3. Include a call to action. Make your product known without selling it.

I hope that this is helpful, and I encourage you to take it with a grain of salt as I am only now really exploring how inbound marketing works. There are a lot of great resources online. I've been spending a lot of time over at copyblogger for the last month.

I think Old Hack would agree, I still have a lot to learn. :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.