PDA

View Full Version : I finished a novel.

amaliegreen
11-18-2013, 08:13 PM
I've been writing for most of my life, starting with simple short stories when I was five. In the 21 years between then and now, I've started and abandoned over a dozen novels. I usually make it 10,000 to 20,000 words in and then decide that the idea, characters, and execution are complete crap and it isn't worth it to keep going. Lather, rinse, repeat.

A few days ago, I finished the first draft of a novel for the first time in my life. Young adult fantasy, 105,000 words. A complete mess. But finished, sitting right there on my screen. I told a story, with a beginning, middle and end, and I saw it all the way through. The first words were written last May; it only (heh) took me six months to write the final ones.

It'll need a ton of work. And it will probably end up getting trunked eventually, because it's a first novel and those don't tend to be awesome. But just the fact that I finished it is a really big deal, and I needed to share with people who might understand. (My friends and family in real life tend to look worried and start edging away when I get too enthusiastic about my writing accomplishments.)

So thanks, guys, for listening to my ridiculous excitement over finally having completed my lovely, steaming mess of a novel. :)

Fruitbat
11-18-2013, 08:14 PM
That's wonderful. Congrats! :partyguy:

Calla Lily
11-18-2013, 08:44 PM
Congrats!

zanzjan
11-18-2013, 08:44 PM
Congratulations! Now revise it, sub it, and start another! :)

Peter J Story
11-18-2013, 09:16 PM
Congrats! I'm planning on finishing my first draft in around the same length of time. I wish I had all day every day to pump out enough words to complete a novel for NaNoWriMo, but alas.

London89
11-18-2013, 09:29 PM
Congratulations! :Clap:

I can't wait to finally START my first novel, let alone finish it! Lol

Maryn
11-18-2013, 09:38 PM
Awesome! How many people think they can write a book, even start one, but never get where you are now? Most of 'em!

Maryn, proud of you

Scribhneoir
11-18-2013, 10:09 PM
Congratulations! :Trophy:

Phaeal
11-18-2013, 10:52 PM
Without a steaming mess of a first draft, you can't have a cool mess of a second draft, and an almost-not-messy third draft, and a pretty good fourth draft, etc.

CGs on a huge evolutionary step forward!

Siri Kirpal
11-19-2013, 12:41 AM
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Good for you! :hooray:

Best of luck with the revisions.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

deannabalestra
11-19-2013, 01:06 AM
Finished is the most important part - the "mess" you can fix LOL
Congrats!

Canton
11-19-2013, 07:44 AM
It'll need a ton of work. And it will probably end up getting trunked eventually, because it's a first novel

This was a lesson I learned myself that my novel might not actually sell. But anyone's might. I have some trunk novels as well. But I learned so many lessons along the way, even from agents offering their advice on my writing (that was feedback I appreciate so much)...But yes to write a beginning a middle and an end is important. How to structure the story, how to make the narrative engaging (voice) and just a myriad of other things. Once all cylinders are firing though it feels good.

Corey LeMoine
11-19-2013, 04:52 PM
That's really awesome! I bet the closure that comes from finally getting over that hump feels great. And now that you have done what is truly the grueling manual labor part, you know that you have it in you to stick with it and get it polished.

Undercover
11-19-2013, 05:44 PM
So wonderful!!! I'm really happy for you that you saw it through. (didn't mean to rhyme...hehe)

Savor the moment, have some chocolate cake and then dive into the next level...that's even more fun. lol!

wonderactivist
11-19-2013, 06:32 PM
Congratulations! That's huge.

GingerGunlock
11-19-2013, 06:38 PM
Yaay, great job! :D

Susan Littlefield
11-19-2013, 08:17 PM
Congratulations! I'm proud of you! :Thumbs:

lmoses2011
11-19-2013, 08:30 PM
Yep congrats to you!!! Hopefully I'm on my way to knowing what such a feeling is like. I'm guessing involves a lot of tearful smiles and celebratory wine drinking?

TechD
11-19-2013, 09:20 PM
Good job!

I will view your accomplishment as an inspiration to finish my own goals.

amaliegreen
11-20-2013, 07:28 PM
Thanks so much, everyone! I truly appreciate all the kindness and encouragement. :)

Congratulations! Now revise it, sub it, and start another! :)

Way ahead of you on the start another part! :) I started another novel before I even finished the first, due to NaNoWriMo, and am currently 48,000 words into WIP #2.

Congrats! I'm planning on finishing my first draft in around the same length of time. I wish I had all day every day to pump out enough words to complete a novel for NaNoWriMo, but alas.

Thank you, and best of luck on finishing your first draft!

Congratulations! :Clap:

I can't wait to finally START my first novel, let alone finish it! Lol

Thank you... Now get to it! :D

Yep congrats to you!!! Hopefully I'm on my way to knowing what such a feeling is like. I'm guessing involves a lot of tearful smiles and celebratory wine drinking?

Well, since I was in the middle of writing a second novel for NaNoWriMo, and preparing for my second international move in five months, it was more like "a quick sigh of relief and feeling of happiness" before I had to move on to other things. So I posted here, just to bask a little. :)

Dee Pratt
11-20-2013, 07:35 PM
CONGRATULATIONS! That is such an incredible accomplishment, and I hope to know what you're feeling one day soon. ;)

wampuscat
11-20-2013, 09:10 PM
Finishing a first draft is the best feeling, isn't it?

Congratulations and best wishes for many more.

Mallory
11-22-2013, 06:36 AM
Congratulations. Finishing a novel is a tremendous achievement.

agergen53
11-22-2013, 08:13 PM
There's nothing quite like that sense of achievement after you finish your first novel. It really puts things into perspective, doesn't it? Congrats on the milestone and may your novel be the first of many to come!

Matthew Hughes
11-22-2013, 08:34 PM
Good on yer, Amalie!

Many first-time novelists end up rewriting their opening chapters, over and over again, trying to get them 'just right.' But the point of the first draft is not to get it right; it's to get it writtenóbecause then you'll have something to work with.

Writing the first draft is like storming the beach on D-Day. The assault troops were told: "Don't stop for anything, neither to mourn the dead nor tend the wounded. You've got to get off the beachóbecause, if you don't, you'll die there."

Adelaide
11-23-2013, 10:55 PM
Many congratulations!!! You are awesome. I'm in the place you were in, trying to keep going all the way through. Haven't made it yet. But I KNOW how I will feel, and so I know what you are feeling. :)

andiwrite
11-24-2013, 03:49 AM
I've been writing for most of my life, starting with simple short stories when I was five. In the 21 years between then and now, I've started and abandoned over a dozen novels. I usually make it 10,000 to 20,000 words in and then decide that the idea, characters, and execution are complete crap and it isn't worth it to keep going. Lather, rinse, repeat.

A few days ago, I finished the first draft of a novel for the first time in my life. Young adult fantasy, 105,000 words. A complete mess. But finished, sitting right there on my screen. I told a story, with a beginning, middle and end, and I saw it all the way through. The first words were written last May; it only (heh) took me six months to write the final ones.

It'll need a ton of work. And it will probably end up getting trunked eventually, because it's a first novel and those don't tend to be awesome. But just the fact that I finished it is a really big deal, and I needed to share with people who might understand. (My friends and family in real life tend to look worried and start edging away when I get too enthusiastic about my writing accomplishments.)

So thanks, guys, for listening to my ridiculous excitement over finally having completed my lovely, steaming mess of a novel. :)

As someone who knows just what a unique and special feeling this is, I offer you a *hug* of congratulations. :)

starbelly35
12-06-2013, 05:11 AM
Congratulations on finishing your novel! I, too, recently finished a rough draft of my first novel. It was such an eye opening experience. The elation of completing it is hard to describe. (Especially to anyone other than another writer!)
Now to begin editing...(*bites fingernails*) ;)

Chris_tine
12-09-2013, 03:31 PM
Congratulations! You should be very proud of yourself no matter what! To finish a novel is the most fantastic feeling ever. It is the ending of a long journey but also the beginning of a new and unknown one. I can relate to you in every way (family reactions included!) even though I finished my novel about a year ago as I am still in the honeymoon period... :-)

Lurosa
12-09-2013, 09:52 PM
my

That's what AW is here for.

Congratulations on a momentous achievement!

The next one doesn't get any easier, but it is definitely a load of fun.

And remember: the first step you take is usually the longest.

Ruth2
12-10-2013, 08:08 AM
Mega-congratulations!!!!!!

amaliegreen
12-18-2013, 07:07 AM
*pokes head out*

I wanted to thank everyone who offered me support and congratulations. You guys are amazing, seriously. And while I'm here, I'll offer a small update...

I completed another first draft. Yes, just under a month after the first. This one is this year's NaNo novel, DARKFALL, which is considerably shorter than my first completed novel. DARKFALL's first draft is only 65,000 words.

I think this finishing-novels thing is turning into an addiction. :D

Ruth2
12-18-2013, 08:08 AM
Congrats again!!!!!

Pushingfordream
12-18-2013, 08:42 AM
Congratulations! This is an awesome achievement.

The Good Typist
12-18-2013, 08:50 AM
You may not feel that you accomplished much, but just by the fact that you completed a first draft, you're my hero! I'm still at the halfway point of my novel and not sure how I am going to see it to fruition. Take pride in what you've done! It's a hard and amazing thing to have accomplished.

samwise
12-19-2013, 03:12 AM
Completing a first novel is always a great accomplishment. Way to go!
What is your next step? Work on the second novel? Rewrite the first? Get test readers? Submissions?

gingerwoman
12-22-2013, 02:31 AM

That's really awesome!

Noniej
12-22-2013, 09:01 AM
I'm exactly twice your age and I finished a book this year - good on you for doing it now! As has been said, lots of people say they want to write a book but not many people actually manage it. Congrats.

StephanieZie
12-22-2013, 02:49 PM
Awesome, I can't wait to know what that feels like!

Ella Press
12-22-2013, 07:29 PM
Wow, congrats! My first novel is around that same word count too, 100+K! It will always be messy, but I think we writers will always have a soft spot for those first books we wrote. :)
Think you'll edit it soon?

writingale
12-25-2013, 03:27 PM
More than a hundred thousand words in only six months?? Wow, you are such an inspiration... congrats!!!!!!

R