PDA

View Full Version : Almost Human (Fox)

bearilou
11-18-2013, 06:19 AM
Karl Urban. Michael Ealy. Mackenzie Crook (!).

Science fiction. Androids. The future. Buddy-cop show.

Anyone else see it?

I was very pleasantly surprised with it. I haven't been batting well with new shows starting so my expectations were low to begin with but very pleasantly surprised.

Some of the science was hand-wavey and technobabble but enjoyable and far better written as a pilot that the last two shows I started watching (one of which I've stuck with, the other was dropped like last years bad news). Still, the episode pilot plot and the longer arc plot kept me interested, it had just the right amount of humor to suit me without trying waaaay too hard.

And did I mention it has Karl Urban in it?

Steve Coate
11-18-2013, 08:04 AM
Enjoying it so far. Laughed aloud when Urban kicked the first android out of his car. Although the way he was treating it beforehand, I knew something of the sort had to be coming.

Shadow_Ferret
11-18-2013, 05:55 PM
surprisingly, I enjoyed it and I'm looking forward to tonights episode. When I read one review saying we'd seen it all before in I,Robot, I was a little leery.

bearilou, why the exclamation point after the names? I don't think I've ever heard of any of them.

robjvargas
11-18-2013, 05:59 PM
Karl Urban has done several roles that have intrigued me. Wasn't he McCoy in the Star Trek reboot movies?

Sorry I missed this. I was looking forward to it. Thought it was next week. Gotta catch this online.

juniper
11-18-2013, 11:00 PM
We DVRed it, we've got quite a stash on there right now so not sure when we'll get to it.

Carlene
11-19-2013, 12:13 AM
We both liked it quite a lot and will definitely watch more episodes. It has everything - blood and guts, cops, androids and humor. What's not to like?

Carlene

Shadow_Ferret
11-19-2013, 12:22 AM
Well, they could do without the blood and guts. With legs getting blown off, it stops being family fare and I can't watch it with my son.

veinglory
11-19-2013, 12:22 AM
Looking pretty good so far.

bearilou
11-19-2013, 01:55 AM
surprisingly, I enjoyed it and I'm looking forward to tonights episode. When I read one review saying we'd seen it all before in I,Robot, I was a little leery.

bearilou, why the exclamation point after the names? I don't think I've ever heard of any of them.

It was mostly for Mackenzie Crook. Crook is the breakout actor for me. He was Gareth in the British version of The Office but I remember him most as Ragetti in the Pirates of the Caribbean movies. So, I'm always very pleased to see him in stuff.

I think Michael Ealy rocks all kinds of socks. And I'm a shameless Karl Urban fan. I will see every movie he's in, whether it's a movie genre I'll watch or not.

Lili Taylor should also be listed in that. She ruled the show.

sheadakota
11-19-2013, 02:04 AM
honestly, I didn't care for it. Didn't hate it either, was just meh- The plot was predictable, the acting was good, just didn't do anything for me.

Haunted_October
11-19-2013, 02:27 AM
I missed it last night :(

But you may recognize Karl Urban from Lord of the Rings- he played Eomer :)

Shadow_Ferret
11-19-2013, 02:45 AM
I didn't see LoTR. He did look familiar but I couldn't place him. I've seen both Star Treks too. I can't say I recognize anyone else.

Pterofan
11-19-2013, 02:57 AM
Going back even further, Urban played both Cupid and Julius Caesar on Xena, Warrior Princess.

robjvargas
11-19-2013, 03:27 AM
He was great as Caesar, too.

Tasmin21
11-19-2013, 05:07 PM
Watched it last night, and I really liked it! They really had me in the second episode where Dorian stays with the fembot and gives her the "going to a better place" speech about being deactivated. Hit me right in the feels.

bearilou
11-19-2013, 06:11 PM
Hit me right in the feels.

IKR?

I won't lie, the testicles conversation had me rolling.

Tasmin21
11-19-2013, 06:17 PM
IKR?

I won't lie, the testicles conversation had me rolling.

Oh seriously, I about choked to death laughing. And then realized my 11-year-old daughter was sitting next to me. Teensy bit awkward, but I think (hope) most of it went over her head.

Shadow_Ferret
11-19-2013, 10:50 PM
so testicle dialog is now acceptable during Prime Time or is PT an anacronism now?

Vince524
11-20-2013, 03:47 PM
I've been watching it. Love it. Great sense of humor. Good action. Great look.

Filigree
11-20-2013, 03:49 PM
I liked it. It has a definite nod to Blade Runner and Total Recall 2070. Which means Fox will probably drop it before it has a chance to get a bigger fanbase.

bearilou
11-20-2013, 05:04 PM
I liked it. It has a definite nod to Blade Runner and Total Recall 2070. Which means Fox will probably drop it before it has a chance to get a bigger fanbase.

Shhhh! SHHHHHHH! :e2cry:

Manuel Royal
11-20-2013, 05:21 PM
Very old idea, but worth revisiting. (Makes me wish somebody would make a movie of The Caves of Steel -- but then, look what those bastards did to I, Robot.)

I'll have to check it out on Hulu or On Demand. (This is the way tv viewing should be -- watching a show on my schedule, not the network's.)

Maryn
11-20-2013, 05:37 PM
I've seen only the first episode; it's available at Time Warner's On Demand.

I wasn't wowed, but unless I actively dislike a new show, I try to give it three episodes before I stop watching. It's hard to set up who's who and what's going on in a pilot.

Alas, there's almost nothing I'm making a point of watching this year. Mostly I'm watching older series streaming.

Maryn, tough audience

Shadow_Ferret
11-20-2013, 06:03 PM
I watched both episodes again last night. I liked it even better the second time. Really enjoy the interaction between Dorian and John. I like how in the end of each episode, John is the one who seems to be learning how to become more human

rugcat
11-24-2013, 07:01 AM
Saved the first two episodes on DVR and watched them today.

Like others, I was pleasantly surprised. It's really tricky to pull this kind of thing off -- near future dystopian construct that doesn't seem phony and that has a solidity to it.

And of course, although it's sci-fi and set in the near future, at heart it's really a buddy cop show and falls or stands on the relation between Dorian and John. And they really have some chemistry going there. Good acting and just a real touch of subtlety that works.

And just enough geeky semi plausible science stuff to be entertaining in and of itself.

So yeah, it's a show I'm pleased to have found, and I will definitely follow it.

bearilou
12-03-2013, 06:08 AM
I would like to know what was up with Fox tonight. I watched the episode (and loved it, as per usual) and yet it seemed there were a few times there where the show was preempted by the damn commercials.

What is Fox trying to do?

Manuel Royal
12-04-2013, 07:06 AM
Yep, Fox runs a lot of commercials.

I'm enjoying the show. In the most recent episode, in a rainy night scene, there were pedestrians carrying umbrellas with glowing shafts. I wonder if that was a deliberate homage to Blade Runner.

ETA: Glad they don't explain every little thing. For instance, the colorful, living slug thing Kennex eats must be a product of genetic engineering, but we may never know.

Filigree
12-04-2013, 06:15 PM
Fox is doing what Fox does best: mess up great shows. I really like this one, and hope it gets renewed.

bearilou
12-04-2013, 06:56 PM
Fox is doing what Fox does best: mess up great shows. I really like this one, and hope it gets renewed.

My conspiracy mind immediately thought of that the first time a scene was interrupted before what was going to be a commercial break by breaking early and cutting it off.

Then there were two minutes of commercials, ten seconds of a scene started in the middle and then cut off before the end by two more minutes of commercials.

It cut back to the show, we watched the five minutes before the next commercial break for yet two more minutes still of commercials.

At that point I was thinking 'is Fox deliberately trying to sink this show?'