Writer Associations

Writer-2-Author

Registered
Reaction score
I've been thinking about joining a writers' association for several months now. Recently I've heard people say that belonging to an association of writers "sounds" good in the bio section of your query. Any truth to this? Are there benefits to joining one? As a memoir writer, I'm looking at the National Association of Memoir Writers. Thoughts???

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know that it makes any difference unless you can show that it includes a large number of people who are likely to buy your book. I'd join for whatever other benefits you think you'd get from it, not only to impress a publisher.

Last edited:

ZachJPayne

Beware: #amQuerying
Registered
Reaction score
Website
zachjpayne.com
I'd go for it!

I know, personally, from looking at the Association for my genre (SCBWI), that there are plenty of benefits: regional and national meetups, a member's library, all kinds of resources.

But I think I would caution: Don't do it because it looks good on paper, only do it if they have something that interests you or will help you.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
You need every word in your query to work hard selling your book. I don't see how mentioning that you belong to an association is going to do that, unless it's a association which only admits best-selling writers--in which case, you probably won't need to query.

I'd join such an association because you might find it useful or interesting or supportive; but I wouldn't do it in the hope that it would look good on your submissions.

Matthew Hughes

Old Pro
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.matthewhughes.org
I'd join such an association because you might find it useful or interesting or supportive; but I wouldn't do it in the hope that it would look good on your submissions.

I belong to SF Canada, the association of Canadian sff authors, editors, and agents. I also belong to the Crime Writers of Canada.

SFC has a listserver function that lets members communicate with the group by email. We tell each other about potential markets, give advice and compare experiences.

CWC has a newsletter. Its information is useful but less timely than SFC's.

If you're a memoir writer, the question you should be asking is: how useful does the association make itself to its members? It won't make any difference to an editor or agent reading your query.

Last edited:

quicklime

all out of fucks to give
Banned
Reaction score
with Hack; if it is "just a club" then there are a lot of good things you can take from joining, but all that matters to an agent or editir is that you can write.....and joining doesn't assure that.

Writer-2-Author

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you all for thoughts and advice! I've been considering two different associations for some time now, before hearing that it looks good to agents. Both have major benefits; I may join both.

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
The SCBWI is beginning to work toward marketing it's members: launch parties, online bookstore and art gallery, speakers bureau.

Joining shows agents you are serious about your writing because you've put your money where your mouth is, and that you are willing to learn. Many editors and agents tell members to note membership on the outside of their envelopes because it says your work is likely to be better than the average slush.

If the organizations offer any of that, absolutely go for it. If they offer great learning opportunities, sign up. SCBWI membership wouldn't mean anything to agents if the learning opportunities weren't there. It's about being the best author you can, which means writing the best works you can.

Writer-2-Author

Registered
Reaction score
Joining shows agents you are serious about your writing because you've put your money where your mouth is, and that you are willing to learn.

Thanks Debbie V, that line is exactly what I've read. I've decided to join the National Association of Memoir Writers for sure. They're having a Cyber Monday sale after Thanksgiving, knocking $50 off their annual fee.

Thank you everyone for helping me out with this decision!